If You Don't Like Being Violated Don't Book A Cruise To Jamaica

Joedog

we are sailing to ocho rios in may and now im worried about even getting off the boat.....i am traveling with my 13 year old daughter and a family friend who's 68....i admit ifthis is what to expect then i can skip getting off the boat and spend my money in the spa....i am always nervous when i travel with my daughter....so now im wondering if i should be parinoid

we are sailing to ocho rios in may and now im worried about even getting off the boat.....i am traveling with my 13 year old daughter and a family friend who's 68....i admit ifthis is what to expect then i can skip getting off the boat and spend my money in the spa....i am always nervous when i travel with my daughter....so now im wondering if i should be parinoid

Don't worry! Be happy! You will love Ocho Rios. Last year we took our 18 year old daughter to Nine Miles the birthplace of her idol Bob Marley. We had an awesome time! Previously she had been on three land vacations to Negril JA as a young teen. Nothing but wonderful experiences each time. We were just as careful as we were in all of our travels over the years.

We just got back today from our Conquest cruise and wanted to vent/inform a little bit about something that is happening at the cruise terminal in Montego Bay, namely groping of the male passengers by the local port authorities.

I have been on many cruises (both Navy & cruiseline) and have had port calls to more than 40 countries and I have never been treated more disgustingly in a port than this last cruise when we stopped in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

After spending the day spending money in this port I (and almost every other male passenger returning to the ship) were separated from the women passengers and forced to go through a "pat down" search by the local authorities where the "frisker" actually grabbed our penises and testicles through our clothes and squeezed them.

I should mention that all I (we) were doing was returning to the ship. We had not done anything "wrong". We were not drunk/stoned or even loud.

The more I think about this the more flabbergasted I become and the madder I get at Carnival for taking me to a port where I was treated so shabbily. For the life of me I do not understand why Carnival allowed us to be treated that way without some protest on their part but they did not even have anyone present in the terminal to oversee their passengers being fondled.

Oh, I should also mention, to add insult to injury, the "searches" were filmed by some British television crew doing a documentary on how Jamaica treats tourists.

Can someone tell me why Carnival is still sailing to this port and/or why anyone would book a cruise that includes Jamaica as a port call if the local authorities treat cruise ship passengers like this?

shoot sounds like a great port to me!!!

Jamaica is the one place I've been that I'll never go back to.

For one thing, I've been to other countries with poverty, but they don't wallow in it the way the people in Jamaica do. In other countries they make the best of it and are decent people.

Another point, if the Jamaica authorities are reallllly so worried about drugs, then why aren't they spending some time busting their citizens that are selling them to the tourists? Probably because they won't get nice fines to pad their pockets out of their own citizens. When we went to Ocho Rios, we made the horrible mistake of walking from the ship to the shopping area. Along the way we were offered all sorts of drugs and prostitution services from 60 year, over weight, toothless women. Yuck! Where are the "so-concerned" Jamaican authorities while that's going on?

In order to get out of the Dunn's River Falls at Ocho Rios, you have to work your way through a maze of the most incredibly aggressive sellers of junk I've ever seen. They literally grab you by the arm and try to pull you into their little store/shacks. No thanks. I don't care what your "culture" is or how hungry you are, you don't touch me, got it? Some of the women on our cruise were pretty frightened by it.

The "Shopping Area" was pretty sad, same stores you see in every other port except no landscaping, trees or anything. Also surrounded by a fence and security to keep out the locals. Nice atmosphere!

As long as you aren't just planning to walk the streets of jamaica you should be OK. The big issue people are complaining about is the security check getting back out of the port building. If you have common sense and USE it, then there will be no problem MON.

I made the post in regards to the forum being locked out in an attempt to prevent that from happening. I hope they allow it to stay open like the rest of them, but when another one was started about the robbery, they shut it down after several post. I then looked back and could not find another post that had been shut down in over a year..

I made the post because of my experience.

Call me what you want...Alarmist or whatever but, I don't speak to alarm, but to INFORM...so call me an "Informist:

Thanks

Sent my husband this thread so he'll be prepared, just in case. Also suggested that he "pack" the dog's squeaky ball with the "family jewels". Of course, neither of us have the intestinal fortitude to actually follow through, but wouldn't it be fun to watch the look on Heavy Frisker's face when she squeezed that!!

I'm not making light of OP's discomfort and frustration. I think it it's a rotten experience. This is just a little defiant thought that flashed through the brain.

I now know exactly how determined my honey is to see Jamaica!! If there were reports of the agents squeezing sweater puppies, I doubt I'd leave the ship!!

Carnival always says they have heard nothing about problems in Jamaica and the ships staff will always deny any knowledge of such going ons, like most of corporate america they would rather deny there is a problem than do the right thing and at least warn cruisers of possible problems. I have been to Jamaica and allthough we did not have any specific problems..the place was filthy, people were extremely rude, aggressive and over all you feel unsafe. Let me put it this way: would you go to the worst part of your town or city and walk around? JAMAICA IS THE GHETTO OF THE CARRIBEAN!!!

would you visit the worst part of your city or town? Jamaica is the ghetto of the carribean...and if you treat it that way and take caution you just might be ok. As for talking to pvp's at carnival they will deny there are problems there. Carnival is not concerned about problems in ports, like most of corporate america they are only concerernd with the bottom line and until it gets the medias attention nothing will change.

I suppose I must now add ignore the trolls along with ignore the alarmists.

For those looking for information, here is some:

There are no State Department Travel Warnings (never are) or Travel Alerts (almost never are) specific to Jamaica.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_1766.html

Some additional information:

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2032.htm

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1147.html

Do your research, including reading your cruise contract.

• 9 months later...

my husband experienced the same thing...but he turned to me and asked me if he could go through the line again :eek:

this was not molestation...there was no sexual intent involved. they are merely searching for things being smuggled ....and because it is not the USA, you don't have the same rights and protections/privelages there. I say this with the utmost respect, for I am the mother of a daughter who was a victim of an aggravated sexual assault.

I loved jamaica. we had a wonderful time there. it was a beautiful island...yes, there were some very sad parts...i wanted to get off the bus and just pass out money to all the kids i saw....so how do i help? i go back and spend more money.....and be prepared for a cheap thrill for the hubby lol.:D

Went to Ocho on 01/01/09. Thankfully, this type search did not occur - nothing more than if you were going into a concert. Looked thru our purses - that was it. I would think you should arrange a tour though. We went with Peat Taylor. Very nice person and good tour. Orig., I was concerned because our group included 9 kids (my kids & their friends) in the 19-24 yr. old range and anticipated the offering of pot/drugs to be a problem. Only

time that happened to us was the "seller" was a sweet looking kid about 7 yrs. old and asked my husband if he liked some weed. Not really funny but we did all laugh at that one.

I think if you are with a guide that is known about town you aren't hassled as much. Why not arrange a tour - we had a great time at the falls and prob. your daughter would too. Not sure how agile the 68 yr. old is but there are also stairs with a platform which that person could follow up on and meet at end. We didn't even have bad experience with the vendors there, though others on this thread did. Maybe it's all relative...I work all day in a school for behavior problem teens so a Jamaican trying to sell me some stuff is no big deal - lol.

Carnival always says they have heard nothing about problems in Jamaica and the ships staff will always deny any knowledge of such going ons, like most of corporate america they would rather deny there is a problem than do the right thing and at least warn cruisers of possible problems. I have been to Jamaica and allthough we did not have any specific problems..the place was filthy, people were extremely rude, aggressive and over all you feel unsafe. Let me put it this way: would you go to the worst part of your town or city and walk around? JAMAICA IS THE GHETTO OF THE CARRIBEAN!!!

People by the ports are rude and aggressive. If you wish, arrange for a tour, as suggest here by many, away from the tourist zone. Being a small island, not sure about the filth, this should take only a few minutes before you meet some really friendly people. You might even meet me, but not by the ports. Luckily I haven't been to many ghettos Caribbean or otherwise. I always reside in a pretty decent neighborhoods so I felt pretty Ok to walk around, but I do respect your opinion and knowledge:D

Like what, :confused:

I would not wish to think the statement was just meant to be sheer mean and unkind when refering to a third world country and poverty.

On our recent tour of the Appleton rum estate, we noted that Jamaicans seem to love dogs. We saw them everywhere and they all seemed healthy and well fed. We also noticed that drivers actually went out of their way to avoid hitting dogs on the road or in parking lots. Our tour guide actually flipped out when we passed a house that had a momma dog and several puppies out front. She wanted our driver to stop so she could hold a puppy. Am I wrong in my observations?

Like what, :confused:

I would not wish to think the statement was just meant to be sheer mean and unkind when refering to a third world country and poverty.

I was just making a joke. I didn't intend any harm by it.

In all actuality, I don't know why they don't use drug dogs unless it's due to a lack in funding to train the dogs and the dog handlers.

On our recent tour of the Appleton rum estate, we noted that Jamaicans seem to love dogs. We saw them everywhere and they all seemed healthy and well fed. We also noticed that drivers actually went out of their way to avoid hitting dogs on the road or in parking lots. Our tour guide actually flipped out when we passed a house that had a momma dog and several puppies out front. She wanted our driver to stop so she could hold a puppy. Am I wrong in my observations?

Please, your observation can not be questioned. In most places I know (away from the ports), people struggle to take care of themselves, so unfortunately pets come up short. So I am please to hear this. I thought the other poster was making fun of the place and referring to dogs as a source of food. That I thought would be unkind even for a country one might not care about. Too often the entire place and all the people (which I am one) are put down because of a tourist unfortunate experience on an excursion at a port. I know some experiences can be pretty bad

I was just making a joke. I didn't intend any harm by it.

In all actuality, I don't know why they don't use drug dogs unless it's due to a lack in funding to train the dogs and the dog handlers.

No problem mon. Keep in mind third world country, things don't always make sense.:D

I thought the other poster was making fun of the place and referring to dogs as a source of food. That I thought would be unkind even for a country one might not care about.

Are you imagining that there are NOT places that eat dog? Have you ever been to the Orient? Or some of the Pacific Islands? Sorry but THEY EAT DOGS.

Are you imagining that there are NOT places that eat dog? Have you ever been to the Orient? Or some of the Pacific Islands? Sorry but THEY EAT DOGS.

Freinds, I was just making a joke. I didn't intend to hurt any feelings or start a debate with this remark. Jamaica is a remarkable and beautiful place. And just like here at home, they've got their little inconvenient sides too. Drug problems are one of them and they are handling the situation as best as they can.

Do they do it out of povery or gourmet? I eat goat, not for poverty but gourmet:D You are invited but many have turned down this request in the past:p No I haven't been to the Orient or the Pacific Islands. My travels are limited to the US, Caribbean and Mexico. The poster was kind enough to reply so I do appreciate that and also for your vast knowledge of international food....Thank You!

Thanks for the informtion.

Archived