If You Don't Like Being Violated Don't Book A Cruise To Jamaica

Joedog

I for one would never step foot on Jamaica. Laws against homosexuality are actively enforced. Homophobia that is rampant at the local police and civilian level with beatings, murders, torture, slashings of gays--or those suspected of being gay--are not uncommon in this country. For more information on Jamaica, published by the US, with regards to human rights:http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2008/wha/119165.htm

I applaud Princess Cruise lines for their actions in discontinuing all cruises to Jamaica starting in 2010. I only hope more cruise lines take the same action.

Just because a country doesn't accept homosexuality or what you think is right doesn't mean it's homophobic. I've never seen any one running screaming from gay people there because they are afraid of them. There are plenty of "batty man" around. They just aren't so obvious.

I for one would never step foot on Jamaica. Laws against homosexuality are actively enforced. Homophobia that is rampant at the local police and civilian level with beatings, murders, torture, slashings of gays--or those suspected of being gay--are not uncommon in this country. For more information on Jamaica, published by the US, with regards to human rights:http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2008/wha/119165.htm

I applaud Princess Cruise lines for their actions in discontinuing all cruises to Jamaica starting in 2010. I only hope more cruise lines take the same action.

Are you serious? You want the cruise lines to start limitining MY choice of travel? I have not personally read anything about this homophobia in Jamaica, so I can't say either way how I feel on that. But I believe that the traveler needs to be aware of the environment they will be going in to through research. No matter who you are, the smart thing to do is to be aware of your surroundings and respect that you are in THEIR country. If this is too difficult, STAY ON THE BOAT!

I don't want to draw this out, but I am not strictly referring to how Jamaica treats the GLBT community. The article I list below (dated July, 2009) explains a bit about how even Jamaica officials are realizing the extent of the problem they have in their country and how they may try to start changing. However, I must add that your statement on homosexuality does not make much sense, and honestly is rather offensive. But to each their own and we are all entitled to our opinions and free speech.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/document.php?id=ENGNAU2009072111492&lang=e

Just because a country doesn't accept homosexuality or what you think is right doesn't mean it's homophobic. I've never seen any one running screaming from gay people there because they are afraid of them. There are plenty of "batty man" around. They just aren't so obvious.

Just another bit of information I found rather ironic. I just did a "Google" news search for "Jamaica." The very first result with now over 200 news stories about this story is.... http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/11/homophobia-jamaica-consul-murder

Thats all for me. Sorry for so many posts, but I want to make sure people don't think I am making things up.

I don't want to draw this out, but I am not strictly referring to how Jamaica treats the GLBT community. The article I list below (dated July, 2009) explains a bit about how even Jamaica officials are realizing the extent of the problem they have in their country and how they may try to start changing. However, I must add that your statement on homosexuality does not make much sense, and honestly is rather offensive. But to each their own and we are all entitled to our opinions and free speech.

Well I am offended that you are offended. I made no offensive comment toward homosexual people and I don't believe you have the right to state that I said anything in regards to homosexuality. I made a statement regarding JAMAICAIN OFFICIALS TREATMENT OF HOMOSEXUALITY, and my statement simply said that I had done NO RESEARCH OR READING OF THIS SPECIFIC SUBJECT. You don't know me and how I stand on sexuality preferences, nor is it none of your business. I do feel as you when you state that we are ALL entitled to our opinions and free speech, ALONG WITH the entitlement to have the opportunity to explore different countries and cultures with out some cruise ship telling me where I can get off. It is my choice to step off the ship onto foreign soil. Period. No matter who you are. I am truly sorry if you misinterpreted my previous post. That as a human, not an American, that I have the right to my opinion, and I have the right to have an opportunity to see another country without a SHIPLINE telling me I don't have a choice. Hope I was clearer this time.

Krystal Kleer, I was not offended in any way but your comment. If you check my post I did not quote your post... Sorry you misunderstood. I am simply putting out some information so people can make more informed decisions and be in the know.

I am fully aware of this. But don't count on it happening and don't hold your breath. Jamaicans are very firm in their beliefs culture wise. YOU are a GUEST in THEIR country..so why should THEY have to accept your ways..and their country doesn't accept it. Big deal. It's .the same way when THEY are a GUEST in our country..they have to put up with our ways whether they like it or not.

My statement makes perfect sense. You refer to Jamaica as "homophobic"..someone with a phobia avoids the thing that causes them distress as it causes severe anxiety.

I travel to Jamaica every month, almost married one, and have a second home there now..and I dont' see anyone being homophobic. I see people that maybe laugh at homosexuals or don't condone their lifestyle, but it's not any different than how it is in the USA.

For as much as you want to call them homophobic, I guess that makes you heterophobic.

Like the other poster said, no matter who you are, be aware of your surroundings.

Does that mean people run screaming when they see one coming? I get so tired of this political correct crap if someone doesn't accept your way it means you are a "phobic". So people who don't accept another persons ways are now "phobic". Homophobic, Heterophobic, Germaphobic, Obamaphobic, now we have Jamaicaphobic because someone doesn't accept the culutral ways that are different than the USA.

Give me a break. You people are so heterophobic. It's culutrally acceptable here, but not culturally acceptable there. What's the big deal. They cane children in Singapore for littering. It's no different. It's a cultural difference.

Those who question Jamaica's status as a homophobic environment should have a look at this:

http://www.boycottjamaica.org/?page_id=147

State-sanctioned murders of homosexuals. It doesn't get any more homophobic than that.

Drawing a comparison between someone littering and someone who is LGBT is rather meaningless. Mind as well compare are gay person with a serial killer. Please don't accuse people of being something they are not, as I have never done so. I have far more heterosexual friends then homosexual ones. I did state that Jamaica as a country is "homophobic," and this is a fact accepted by countless sources and countries.

Also, again I stress that although Jamaica's treatment of the LGBT community is very poor, my opinions of Jamaica are not solely made on this fact alone. Jamaica has serious problems when it comes to crime and human rights as the articles I have included in prior posts show.

Exactly..I am VERY offended by being accused of being homophobic when I am not.

I've said what I have to say, and I think the good people of Cruise Critic can make their own decisions.

Let's be careful not to get this thread closed down for insulting each other, shall we?

Schist, you are missing a lot. This is supposed to be a thread about Jamaica and you are turning it into something else all because you are offended that the country doesn't condone homosexuality.

Can we get back on the topic before they yank it?? :)

I must be missing something... I will no longer respond to comments from this person. It is nonetheless unfortunate that one an not have a meaningful discussion on some topics.

I must be missing something... I will no longer respond to comments from this person. It is nonetheless unfortunate that one an not have a meaningful discussion on some topics.

I see you're new on CC. :)

The mods yank any topic that gets too heated and controversial. You and I may not agree with it, but that's the way they work! Hence my concern for keeping things civil.

I just find it rather annoying, that on my first post here, I simply stated why I would personally not go to Jamaica (which is on topic) and posted the most recent US Department of the State: 2008 Human Rights Report: Jamaica from the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor. This report covers a multitude of information on Jamaica, with regards to human rights. It quickly turned into accusations and the use of derogatory terms. I have always answered everyone with articles or reports to back up anything I have stated, and never made a single accusation to anyone here, though the reverse is not so true. Cruise Critic being a company based out of New Jersey, I see no problem in simply responding to others people’s remarks in a civil way. I will always respond to anyone who accuses me of something I am not.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have been a few times and have always enjoyed our experiences there. Now, each time we went on an excursion (horseback riding, a trip to Bob Marley's birthplace, and a day at the Sandals resort) but all of our encounters with local Jamaicans were positive ones. We will be going back in December aboard the Century.

Wow!!! I have been to Jamaica twice, the first time was an all-inclusive resort package, I felt safe enough, we even walk approx 6 blocks to Margaritaville a couple of nights. Now what I did not like was the rudeness of the locals. The guys at our resort were down right rude, I found the women to be lovely, although pushy with selling there goods. But I've encountered that with a few other countries I've visited. The second trip was this past March on a cruise, the port was Ochos Rios, no problems there. Now if I had been groped when returning to ship I would have a big problem with that, as I may have been put in jail by my reaction:D I think Jamaica is a beautiful place, but SOME and not all may be giving it a bad rep, which I think is sad. I'm glad I went to Jamaica and had that experience, but I have no desire to go back, not because of the bad rep, but because there's so much more of the world to see. Let's not give up on this beautiful country. Just my two cents, God Bless.

My husband and I were first time cruisers before last week and Jamaica was a port of call on our itinerary. I must admit, based on the negative comments on this thread I was terrified to even get off of the boat in Jamaica, but I did not want to miss out on seeing the island so we decided to take our chances. We booked a tour through Marva Shaw and I must say that Jamaica is one of the most cultural, beautiful, and reserved places I have ever seen. I loved it. The people were rich and friendly while the island was nature at it's best. Yeah I got offered weed, but I just said no thanks and that was that. No stalking or threatening going on. The men and women of the island were very accomodating and easy to get along with. The people I encountered there were friendly and helped shape my positive experience while visiting there.

Marva Shaw was an AWESOME tour guide as well. I never felt unsafe for one minute and I am looking forward to going back to stay at a land resort so that I can get an even better feel for the island. I think that all of you who are on here bashing Jamaica should stop. Okay if you had a bad experience FINE, but stop scaring those of us who have yet to experience it. You guys scared me half to death and if I had listened to you I would have missed out on the best port of call on my ship. Let people judge Jamaica for themselves. It really is a once in a lifetime experience. No it's not the United States, so of course you will encounter things that are much different than our own, but YES it is a beautiful island, with beautiful people.

So stop HATING MON!

Finally another voice of reason...the important thing is to keep things in "cultural perspective". I have no regrets about having a second home there now.

My husband and I were first time cruisers before last week and Jamaica was a port of call on our itinerary. I must admit, based on the negative comments on this thread I was terrified to even get off of the boat in Jamaica, but I did not want to miss out on seeing the island so we decided to take our chances. We booked a tour through Marva Shaw and I must say that Jamaica is one of the most cultural, beautiful, and reserved places I have ever seen. I loved it. The people were rich and friendly while the island was nature at it's best. Yeah I got offered weed, but I just said no thanks and that was that. No stalking or threatening going on. The men and women of the island were very accomodating and easy to get along with. The people I encountered there were friendly and helped shape my positive experience while visiting there.

Marva Shaw was an AWESOME tour guide as well. I never felt unsafe for one minute and I am looking forward to going back to stay at a land resort so that I can get an even better feel for the island. I think that all of you who are on here bashing Jamaica should stop. Okay if you had a bad experience FINE, but stop scaring those of us who have yet to experience it. You guys scared me half to death and if I had listened to you I would have missed out on the best port of call on my ship. Let people judge Jamaica for themselves. It really is a once in a lifetime experience. No it's not the United States, so of course you will encounter things that are much different than our own, but YES it is a beautiful island, with beautiful people.

So stop HATING MON!

We were also in Jamaica last week. While I'm not fond of people trying to braid my hair, I didn't see any outward hostility. I'm not sure how "homophobia" got into the argument here. Unless you're having sex on the street, why is it an issue in Jamaica or anywhere else? Homo- or Hetero- I don't want to know what you do in the bedroom. Please enjoy the sights and have a wonderful trip.

A guy had posted something on the thread upset because of his perception it is a "homophobic" country. Homosexuality is not culturally accepte there and I doubt it ever will be. He didn't like that. I merely pointed out to the guy that just because people don't have the same belief makes one "phobic".

We were also in Jamaica last week. While I'm not fond of people trying to braid my hair, I didn't see any outward hostility. I'm not sure how "homophobia" got into the argument here. Unless you're having sex on the street, why is it an issue in Jamaica or anywhere else? Homo- or Hetero- I don't want to know what you do in the bedroom. Please enjoy the sights and have a wonderful trip.

A guy had posted something on the thread upset because of his perception it is a "homophobic" country. Homosexuality is not culturally accepte there and I doubt it ever will be. He didn't like that. I merely pointed out to the guy that just because people don't have the same belief makes one "phobic".

Let's not forget that the government of Jamaica endorses murdering homosexuals, and the police stand by and watch/laugh while gays are being killed.

Archived