US Airways will now charge for 2nd Bag

cjmayes51

Just saw where beginning 5/5/08 US Air & AmericaWest will begin charging an extra $25.00 for your second checked bag. Luckily my 10 day Cruise is 4/4 but with 2 bags for my wife and 2 for me that would have been an extra $100 round trip to Ft Lauderdale. If this keeps up I'll be driving the 750 miles in the future. I wonder if this will cause more casual clothing on cruises, especially longer cruises. More airlines to follow. $$$$$ it never stops. :(

CJMayes51:

Come join our roll call! There are over 150 Cruise Critic members on the 4/4 sailing of the Emerald Princess, but I don't think I've seen you post over there.

There's an informal and formal Meet & Greet scheduled plus many cruisers are sharing private tours, etc. Join the fun!

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/traveltools/baggage/baggagepolicies.aspx

there is the link-

(so if i fly only one way it will be 12.50 per bag? I dont see where it says round trip or one way)

so according to that site-- if people got their flight tickets before February 26th, 2008 that one bag limit does not apply to them?

We have flights in Sept that I purchased a few weeks ago---

Just saw where beginning 5/5/08 US Air & AmericaWest will begin charging an extra $25.00 for your second checked bag. Luckily my 10 day Cruise is 4/4 but with 2 bags for my wife and 2 for me that would have been an extra $100 round trip to Ft Lauderdale. If this keeps up I'll be driving the 750 miles in the future. I wonder if this will cause more casual clothing on cruises, especially longer cruises. More airlines to follow. $$$$$ it never stops. :(

The web site does state "for tickets purchased ON or AFTER February 26, 2008", so there is a little wiggle room if you booked your flights early (luckily we did book our May cruise flights early). I'm taking this info with me in case someone tries to charge me.

Since we are going transatlantic, I am trying to reduce my packing, but the formal nights really do cause a problem. I figured we could each pack one bag and add a garment bag for our formal wear, but in the future, the garment bag will be the first to go!

I also wonder if people will start taking larger carryon bags just to squeeze more stuff on the plane. Today, I travel with a "train case" type bag, but it may grow to an overnight suitcase. Oh the games we play!

Heaven help US Air if they continue to lose bags at a high percentage as their past history demonstrates...you get to pay for the frustration of finding your lost luggage:(

For a 10 day 2 bags each? You're over packed. You should be able to have 1 bag each and one large carry on each.

CJMayes51:

Come join our roll call! There are over 150 Cruise Critic members on the 4/4 sailing of the Emerald Princess, but I don't think I've seen you post over there.

There's an informal and formal Meet & Greet scheduled plus many cruisers are sharing private tours, etc. Join the fun!

Hi there!

CJMayes has already logged onto our roll call;)

For a 10 day 2 bags each? You're over packed. You should be able to have 1 bag each and one large carry on each.
Not even one large carry-on. I don't understand why people going for a holiday that's two weeks long or less would need more than one suitcase, full stop (plus a small carry-on for essentials).

Those people who lug two or three big suitcases will, I bet, never wear half or more of the stuff they took with them. Sometimes I think that people take that much simply because they can do so without having to pay more - to get best value out of their air fare. :D

I'm actually surprised it took them so long to announce this. I thought they'd do it right after United announced. Thank goodness we sail before the charge goes into affect. I can still over pack!! :D

For those of you who don't want to search - here's the story:

"Under the new program, fliers will get one checked bag free plus their carry-on bags. US Airways already charged customers who checked between two and nine bags $80 per extra bag, and they are now boosting that charge to $100.

Those in the company's frequent flier programs who reach preferred status won't have to pay the fee, nor will those flying first class. The carrier also will waive the baggage charge for active military personnel, unaccompanied minors and customers checking assistive devices.

The new charge will begin May 5 for tickets bought after Tuesday, the company saidThe new charge will begin May 5 for tickets bought after Tuesday, the company said."

I'm actually surprised it took them so long to announce this. I thought they'd do it right after United announced.

Isn't this called price fixing?

Most state statutes provide that fixing the price of a product or service in agreement with another individual or business is illegal

from

http://business-law.freeadvice.com/trade_regulation/price_fixing.htm

Globaliser - Believe me I could last a month on what I take in a suitcase, unfortunately I'm married. ;) But since an Airport weight issue a few years ago where the wife and I went to Disney for a week, in 1 suitcase, and it ended up at 59 lbs at the airport weigh in, we had to remove things right there. Actually took out a number of things and gave them to my daughter who had dropped us off at the Airport. We don't like to use carryons , unless I carry my cameras that would be the only time. It's too darn crowded on US domestic flights now without trying to carry on a small VW. We now travel using only small 21" suitcases that are easy to carry and fits in taxis and small cars without a hassel and usually fit under the beds on a cruise ship. The weight issue may not be an issue for those coming from the UK, as I believe those flights don't have a 50 lb luggage limit per bag, but I may be wrong

I also wonder if people will start taking larger carryon bags just to squeeze more stuff on the plane. Today, I travel with a "train case" type bag, but it may grow to an overnight suitcase. Oh the games we play!

I was thinking the same thing. They allow a bag up to 21 inches as a carry on. So my little under the seat case will be replaced with a bigger bag.

We fly April 19th so we are okay. But I will have to watch this in the future.

Denise

My cruise is May 3, returning May 19th. So I would get to check-in two bags for my May 3 flight, but only 1 for my return?

I sure hope Celebrity made my flight arrangments already!!

IF THEY GOT Your tickets before the date then you ae good to go with both bags for the whole trip-- If celebrity wait to purchase your flight--then yep--you will have to pay.

Isn't this called price fixing?

Most state statutes provide that fixing the price of a product or service in agreement with another individual or business is illegal

It's only illegal if it's done by an agreement in advance between the companies.

There is nothing to stop companies subsequently moving to match something that a competitor has done. As you see with sales all the time: one airline starts a sale, and within hours everyone else has matched the fares.

Archived