All Things LIBERTY of the Seas

krmlaw

We are sailing her in November, and I couldnt find a thread for "All Things" so I figured I'd start one!

Everyone who loves her, has been on her, is going on her, I (and everyone else who hasnt sailed her yet) would love advice!

Whats a must do? What can we skip? Where are the best places to eat, get a drink, meet other cruise addicts? How is the food? Entertainment? Ship itself?

We are bring our DS (then 15), will there be other teens onboard?

What is your favorite place on the ship for a sunset? A sunrise?

We have a D1 for the 3 of us, think it will be enough room?

Whats the english pub like?

We were on Adventure before, is the layout very similar?

I think that will get us started ... (can you tell Im SOOOOO excited!!!)

I have a dumb question!! Does anyone know if there's an electrical outlet in the bathroom? I bought nightlight/air fresheners (with an extra outlet) for each of our cabins and wanted to make sure I can use them. For some reason, I thought I remembered that I couldn't plug them in on Explorer; but I don't remember why. Maybe something about the polarized plug and not being enough room. They might have been a different kind and for some reason didn't fit. Who knows! Any help for my obcessing would be great! :D

We head out on the July 5th Eastern Caribbean sailing and would love some excursion advice. The ship stops in Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, and Hati. Does anyone know if these are all tender stops?

Labadee (in actuality, part of Haiti, although it feels like a private island... and is, in fact, very private) is the only tender port. The ship docks at the other two ports.

Labadee (in actuality, part of Haiti, although it feels like a private island... and is, in fact, very private) is the only tender port. The ship docks at the other two ports.

Thanks for the info Shelli! Any advice on excursions at any of the ports? I think the stop in Puerto Rico is 5 hours, and for that amount of time wonder if it's even worth getting off the ship.

Whats a must do? What can we skip? Where are the best places to eat, get a drink, meet other cruise addicts? How is the food? Entertainment? Ship itself?

We are bring our DS (then 15), will there be other teens onboard?

What is your favorite place on the ship for a sunset? A sunrise?

We have a D1 for the 3 of us, think it will be enough room?

Whats the english pub like?

Let me tackle a few of these. First, recognize that many folks will have different opinions. Must dos for me may not mean a hill of beans to the next guy. This is a very nice ship. Keep in mind that it is a very large ship. that means lots of people. Don't be alarmed if you have to wait a few minutes around meal times to catch the elevator.

Must do: Ice show, eat at Portofinos, Flowrider (especially for the teen), see the parade in the promenade.

Skip: Art show, ship photographers (IMHO)

Drinks: Our preference was relaxing in the Viking Crowne Lounge over looking the pools.

Food: Did I mention Portofinos yet?

Entertainment: Varies, just see the shows that you can. But be sure to see the ice show and Quest.

Sunset and/or sunrise: Balcony with a beverage

Teens: Yes, we traveled in November and there were lots of teens. Teenager should like the rock wall and the Flowrider. There are many other teen activities.

Room for three: Plenty of room for sleeping, but you will have to use every inch of storage space.

English pub: Small. There were a few small events there like trivia. This was not the highlight of the cruise for me.

Have a great time!

Mike

Thanks for the info Shelli! Any advice on excursions at any of the ports? I think the stop in Puerto Rico is 5 hours, and for that amount of time wonder if it's even worth getting off the ship.

I think we actually have 7 hours in San Juan, I wish it was longer - but still it is definitely worth getting off the ship IMO.

We booked a nighttime walking tour with Legends of Puerto Rico.

Any advice on excursions at any of the ports? I think the stop in Puerto Rico is 5 hours, and for that amount of time wonder if it's even worth getting off the ship.

Since you are going to be there in July, you will have a good amount of daylight to work with. If you've never been to Old San Juan, and you have any interest in history or architecture (and possibly shopping), you owe it to yourself to do a walking tour, either guided, or on your own. If not, there's many dining/drinking options where you can enjoy the atmosphere.

The San Juan port forum can help give you more ideas.

Mike

We are going on Liberty this Fall! This will be a huge jump for us in terms of ship size (we have never been on Voyager or Freedom class). I'm curious to see if we will like it or not. I'm mostly excited for H20 Zone for your 4yo dd. I think we will end up spending a lot of time there. I'm also hopeful that she will like Adventure Ocean activities to give DH and I a little time to ourselves here and there..

Just a reminder that there is a Cruise Critic group cruise sailing Liberty on November 8, 2008. Click here for information on the onboard credit, pricing, and how to contact the travel agency to book your cabin. We'd love to have more members join us aboard Liberty of the CCs!

We were on the Liberty in January. We have two little ones who wanted to spend all their time at the H2O zone.

Here's what we experienced:

• We found it difficult to find a table only one day (1st day at sea) and it was at breakfast. At times the buffet area was "crowded", but there were so many stations, we just walked to another and didn't have to wait.
  • We used the elevators often and found the wait time manageable. We did have longer waits after performances let out and in the morning trying to get off the ship. Other than that, it really wasn't that bad.
  • We loved the ice show. It was fantastic. Make sure to get tickets and to get to the show early to get good seats.
  • We found the ship to be easy to navigate. The layout was sensible and I think we got turned around only once.
  • The Pub was a disappointment. It is very small. I'm a cider drinker and they have it on the menu. However, when I asked the waitress, she said they don't carry it. I was bummed!
  • Our cruise was very international. There were a ton of foreigners. I'd say I heard more foreign languages than English. It was really cool! I found it fascinating seeing two people whose first language is not English conversing with one another (i.e. a Russian gentleman speaking to a French waiter in English). I loved that my kids were exposed to different languages.
  • The ship has some really neat places and activities for teens. Let me just say that I saw teens and tweens here and there, but I think they prefered hanging out with friends and the arcade.
  • Our table for dinner was in the side section off the main dining room. It was quiet, we had excellent service, and we could go in and out with out having to go through the main dining hall.

Overall, we had a fabulous time. Our kids ask us almost everyday when we are going back on the ship.

Have a super time!

I have a dumb question!! Does anyone know if there's an electrical outlet in the bathroom? I bought nightlight/air fresheners (with an extra outlet) for each of our cabins and wanted to make sure I can use them. For some reason, I thought I remembered that I couldn't plug them in on Explorer; but I don't remember why. Maybe something about the polarized plug and not being enough room. They might have been a different kind and for some reason didn't fit. Who knows! Any help for my obcessing would be great! :D

I believe there is one in the bathroom on every ship. You can always bring one of those polarized adaptors that give you two outlets from one.

Mike and Winjos - Thanks for the advice! We saw the ice show on Adventure and it was great! DS cant wait to hit the flow rider. Hes been on yout tube watching.

This ship has both portofinos and chops? Weve been to chops on enchantment and portofino on adventure. We are going to try to hit both. We are thinking the formal days, b/c DH doesnt want to bring a tux.

Will we be missing something great not going to the formal nights?

Karen, hi!

Im already on the roll call and cant wait. Ive booked with RC already. I was going to go with *** but they (bob) told me they wouldnt take my future cruise credit.

Can I still transfer the reso over?

You should be able to transfer your booking to the group along with your credit (I assume you're referring to either an OBC for booking onboard or you used a NextCruise booking number). The contact person at the agency is not Bob. The person's name is listed on the webpage I referred to above (you can also reach the link through my signature, which I'll repost). If you have any further questions or issues, please feel free to contact me directly at hostkaren@cruisecritic.com.

We were on the Pre-Inaugural and are going on Liberty again in 38 days - soooooooooooooo excited.

Things we loved:

Promenade - just so pretty - make sure to see the parades and go to the 70's dance party.

English Pub - did not like it. very, very smoky, worst place as far as smoke on the ship

Viking Crown - love sitting there with a drink and enjoying the fantastic view

Shows - Know from other Voyager class ships - see the IceSkating, Quest, Love & Marriage.

Food - we thought the Windjammer was very nice on this ship. Will find out how crowded it really is when we go with a full ship in April

Gym - Fantastic, state of the art equipment.

We honestly thought the ship was gorgeous and cannot wait to spend a whole week on her. We have a "hump" balcony on Deck 8, and plan to really enjoy it. Just walk around, you will be amazed at the beauty. I loved the artwork in the promedade that hangs from above, it changes colors - so gorgeous.

Have fun.

We head out on the July 5th Eastern Caribbean sailing and would love some excursion advice. The ship stops in Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, and Hati. Does anyone know if these are all tender stops?

You tender in Labadee, dock in San Juan, and I honestly can't remember in St. Maarten. What I do remember about St. Maarten was all the BEAUTIFUL BUTTERFLYS. They were all over. Our tour guide said that it was unusual for that time of year, I thought it was great. Hope this helps some.

Thanks for starting a board about LOS. I'm excited to read what people post as we are going in October of this year.

I've never been on LOS but i agree that the Ice Show is a must see. Dont miss it!

Promenade is a nice place to walk around and check out the shops, and while your there pick up a fresh cookie or two :)

We are sailing her in November, and I couldnt find a thread for "All Things" so I figured I'd start one!

YAY, an LOS thread!!!! I was dying to start it but I already started the Explorer thread & didn't want to be an "All Things...." hog! :p lol!!!!

I was on the Liberty Pre-Inaugural, and LOVED IT!!!! It is my favorite ship (with Explorer being only half a point behind!). I love the way Liberty is decorated, I love the way the bridge on the Promenade and the Guest Relations looks, I love the lighting, I love everything about this ship. I HOPE to be going back on in November, but we'll have to see if airline prices go back down. (What the heck is up with that??) Gas, I know. But anyway, I digress...

Thanks for starting this thread...can't wait to be a part of it! :)

I will be sailing LOS in just a few short weeks...woohoo!! :D Can you tell I'm getting excited?!?!

I've been on the Voyager class before so I can only imagine that Liberty is going to be bigger and better! Quite honestly, DH and I prefer the Radiance class but we are taking our parents and DH's son...so there will be a variety for all of us.

For San Juan, we plan to visit OSJ and check out the forts and eat some local food. We don't plan on too much walking since FIL has had two knee surgeries, hip replacement and shoulder surgeries and MIL also had knee surgery.

Labadee is RCCL's private beach in Haiti. You really can't go anywhere so it's a good day to relax on the beach. There's water sports, snorkeling and such. The ship brings the food (bbq) and drinks to the beach.

In St. Maarten there is plenty to do...shop, drink, go to the beach, tours and so on. It's all a matter preference.

We will definitely be going to Portofino's and Chops. This will be a first and probably last cruise for the in-laws. My MIL is terrified of water and boats. :eek: She is only willing to go because DH paid for their cruise as a retirement gift to his father. Should be an interesting 7-days to say the least. :rolleyes:

karena1...how was the gym? I do an hour of cardio every day. Are there plenty of cardio equipments? What about free weights? I definitely plan on taking a yoga and pilates class. I want my mother to try the classes too. Do you remember the hours of the gym? Was it ever crowded?

I am counting down the days...