Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I am looking for an inexpensive hotel for one night precruise, just somewhere to sleep in a safe area in a short cab ride to canada place pier. Any suggestions? What about the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel?

I am looking for an inexpensive hotel for one night precruise, just somewhere to sleep in a safe area in a short cab ride to canada place pier. Any suggestions? What about the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel?

Sure, the Coast Hotel is brand new, snuck open just before the Olympics, others to consider at that level would be the Renaissance Harbourside, the Marriott Pinnacle, and the Hyatt Regency.

You were all helpful and correct regarding the Marathon and its effect on us. We watched them running in the rain. Then made our way to Canada Place, no problem.

Once again Cruise Critic website comes through as a source of information.

I went by the Marriott about 8:20AM with the lead runners and yes I got drenched and then got the other kind of drenched at our little beer bbq after the race was over - glad that I had the new Y to go and use on Monday to loosen up these old aching bones etc.

Glad to have been able to help.

Cheers

Dennis

Just found this thread:) Big thank you to Puterdude for info re Le Grande residence Sutton Place Vancouver.

We are thinking of booking this hotel for pre cruise stay. Most feedback has been very positive. Anyone here enjoyed a stay at this hotel.?

Thanks

Hi.. a few questions about our upcoming visit. We (4 of us) are sailing out of Vancouver on HAL on a Sunday in August. I booked my flight into Seattle on Thursday night because it was significantly cheaper than going into Vancouver and I figured we'd do one day in Seattle, drive up to Vancouver and spend the day there on Saturday as well as the morning on Sunday before heading to the cruise ship. I have corporate pricing from Hertz so I rented a car (reasonable daily price and no drop charge but I pay 27c per mile, estimate is $210 for 2 days) and figure I will drop it off at Canada Place, and assume I will get a hotel on Priceline. Should I plan to keep the car until Sunday when we go to the cruise, or can I drop it off on Saturday and just use public transportation to get around? Or will I spend more on a cab to the pier than I would on having the car for an extra day (of course this assumes the hotel parking charge won't eat up those savings).

Thanks for the advice..

You can or could drop it off at Hertz's downtown office...that's the easy

answer.:)

A cab fare to Canada Place from most downtown hotels is $10 max and parking in such a hotel is going to cost you > $20 per night. You will be paying for parking at most of the attractions...and will be looking for parking at others.

What I would probably do myself would be to immediately head for the North Shore and take the car to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and the Grouse Mtn Sky Ride if those are on your agenda...then check in your hotel and return Hertz's car. You then have the choice of buying an all day transit pass at a convenience store for $9 and doing the other things via transit. Or perhaps taking one of the HOHO's around. On e the morning of your cruise Vancouver Tours offers a great tour that includes picking you and your luggage up and then at the completion of the tour dropping you off at the pier.

Vancouver's streets tend to be congested even on Saturdays and it is not the easiest city to manoeuvre in...so if you do decide to keep the rental car, have specific sites in mind before you set out.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

Have any questions? Well so many of you have helped me when I visit your cities, so hopefully I can help you.

I know the city well and work as a transit driver. And if anyone else from Vancouver knows an answer feel free to help too.

Hi Vickie,

Your blogs are wonderful! Thanks for giving a link.

We are in Vancouver in September for a trip on the Coral to the Panama Canal. This will be our second time in Vancouver and we love your city.

I want to purchase some clothing from India (Salwar Kameez) and have looked on line for places. I know Vancouver has a large Indian population and have found the Punjabi Market.

salwarkameez2.jpg

However, it appears that stores are closing due to hard times and I was wondering if you are aware if the Market is still a good place to look for Indian Clothing.

If so, what is the best way to get there from downtown, we will not have a car.

Thank you for your time,

Lin

Can anyone tell me how to take the Canada Line from the airport to the Hyatt Regency. I looked on the website and there are a couple of options but I am not sure whether it is better to get off and walk or if we should transfer.

Our flight arrives from US at 7:15 pm on a Wednesday so not sure how long it will take us with customs etc.

Thanks!!!!

My preference would be to take the Canada Line to Waterfront Station and at Waterfront transfer to the Expo/Millennium line to Burrard Station which is right by the Hyatt.

There probably isn't much difference in the distance you'll have to walk, from the Canada Line (Vancouver City Centre stop) north on Georgia Street to Burrard Street and the Hyatt or if you take the Canada Line to Waterfront Station and walk to the Expo Line departure point.

I'd rather tote my luggage through Waterfront Station between the Skytrain lines than down Georgia Street at night. Even during the day I think I'd prefer to transfer between the Skytrain lines. No trying to pull a heavy suitcase over sidewalks and across streets.

And thinking positively I won't even think about the possibility of hauling a suitcase down Georgia Street in the rain.

Wishing you sunshine and a wonderful vacation.

My preference would be to take the Canada Line to Waterfront Station and at Waterfront transfer to the Expo/Millennium line to Burrard Station which is right by the Hyatt.

There probably isn't much difference in the distance you'll have to walk, from the Canada Line (Vancouver City Centre stop) north on Georgia Street to Burrard Street and the Hyatt or if you take the Canada Line to Waterfront Station and walk to the Expo Line departure point.

I'd rather tote my luggage through Waterfront Station between the Skytrain lines than down Georgia Street at night. Even during the day I think I'd prefer to transfer between the Skytrain lines. No trying to pull a heavy suitcase over sidewalks and across streets.

And thinking positively I won't even think about the possibility of hauling a suitcase down Georgia Street in the rain.

Wishing you sunshine and a wonderful vacation.

Thanks for your help. I keep putting the info in on the trip planner and it tells me that we have to take a bus between the Canada Line and the Expo line??? I keep looking and now I think if I am looking correctly there must be an underground walk way between the two?????

I have used Boston's subway system and realize that it makes more sense when you see the signs.

Thanks again and I too hope for sunshine and look forward to visiting your wonderful city.

Thanks for your help. I keep putting the info in on the trip planner and it tells me that we have to take a bus between the Canada Line and the Expo line??? I keep looking and now I think if I am looking correctly there must be an underground walk way between the two?????

I have used Boston's subway system and realize that it makes more sense when you see the signs.

Thanks again and I too hope for sunshine and look forward to visiting your wonderful city.

I concur with the suggestion to take the Canada Line to Waterfront and transfer there. We did this very thing last week during a Vancouver visit from our home in Ontario. We took the Canada Line to Waterfront with luggage, transfered in the station to the Expo or Millenium line ( either works for this purpose ), all on Escalators. There are elevators as well, and then on we went. It was easy and quick. In our case we were on our way to The Main St. Station to get to the Via Rail station however we are familiar with the Burrard station as well since we stayed at the Hyatt last summer. This is the way to go. Do not try to transfer between the Canada Line at Vancouver Center station and the Expo Line at Granville station. We made that mistake without luggage also this past week on the same trip. Won't do that again. Don't try to drag your luggage over surface streets, not even at the Burrard station where I believe you can stay underground into the hotel. Enjoy Vancouver. The Canada Line is a wonderful addition. We also avoided the $5 YVR surcharge by purchasing day passes at the Seven-Eleven in the airport.

It's about a block and half walk from the Canada Line platform to the Expo/Millenium Line platform at Waterfront, including going up and down either escalators or elevators. It would be a lot quicker to just get off atr Waterfront and exit via the Granville St/W.Hastings St exit (which is right at the end of the platform), and just walk the three blocks on the surface streets.

This picture shows part of the underground walk if you did try and change at Waterfront: http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#5371855538283412818

Can anyone tell me how to take the Canada Line from the airport to the Hyatt Regency. I looked on the website and there are a couple of options but I am not sure whether it is better to get off and walk or if we should transfer.

Our flight arrives from US at 7:15 pm on a Wednesday so not sure how long it will take us with customs etc.

I posted a partial answer to someone else, but the fastest way is simply exit at Waterfront taking the Granville St exit (which puts you on the street at Granville & W.Hastings), and walk 3 short blocks to the Hyatt.

While you could transfer at Waterfront (follow the masses down the long corridor, up the escalator/stairs), then walk ahead turn left towards the ticket machines, then 1st left past them down the stairs/escalator/elevator to the Expo/Millennium platform. This map helps explain it all, note that the Canada Line exits are marked in Red, Expo/Millenium in blue.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.28515,-123.113887&spn=0.00555,0.016512&z=17

Let me know if you have any more questions...

• 2 weeks later...
We are disembarking into Canada Place in Aug off of Princess. Can you rent a car in the port or do you need to take a cab or bus to rental car? We are spending nite near airport.

If you're just going to your hotel and staying around Vancouver, you don't really need to rent a car. Local transit is great!

I posted a partial answer to someone else, but the fastest way is simply exit at Waterfront taking the Granville St exit (which puts you on the street at Granville & W.Hastings), and walk 3 short blocks to the Hyatt.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.28515,-123.113887&spn=0.00555,0.016512&z=17

Let me know if you have any more questions...

I hope you can help us with a question about parking. We are staying at the Hyatt Regency next week (for 5 days) and will have a car. We will probably need the car for travel on at least 3 of those days. I know the parking at Hyatt will be expensive. Are there any less expensive alternatives to parking with the Hyatt?

Would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks

Dan

I wish I had a happy answer for you but parking in the downtown core runs about $20 to $25 per day with no in & out privileges. You maybe able to save a dollar or two by parking in a lot several blocks away but the inconvenience is hardly worthwhile.

I wish I had a happy answer for you but parking in the downtown core runs about $20 to $25 per day with no in & out privileges. You maybe able to save a dollar or two by parking in a lot several blocks away but the inconvenience is hardly worthwhile.

Aaah, I was afraid of that! Look like we will be using the Hyatt parking. Self park per day is $25, valet is $38, so self park it is!

Thanks very much

Dan

Dan; having established what your parking fees are going to be, you may care to consider turning in your car and use our transit system. I know that people (including myself) like to have a car for a variety of reasons however I will say the our transit system will take you to all of the attractions you are likely wanting to visit. You will saving parking fees at most of these attractions and you won't have the hassle of driving. You can buy a day pass for transit which will cost you $9 or $7 if over 65....these are available at convenience stores throughout the city including in Royal Centre which the Hyatt sits over. Another option would be one of HOHOs which offer a 2 days pass. Here are links for your consideration:

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=iTripPlanning&.s={$SID}

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/