Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

We have decided we want to go to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. I understand there is a free shuttle from Canada Place. We also want to do a carriage ride in Stanley Park. Would we be better to take the free shuttle back to Canada Place and walk to the carriage ride or take a taxi back that would drop us off where the carriage ride is? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We have decided we want to go to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. I understand there is a free shuttle from Canada Place. We also want to do a carriage ride in Stanley Park. Would we be better to take the free shuttle back to Canada Place and walk to the carriage ride or take a taxi back that would drop us off where the carriage ride is? Thanks!

The Capilano Suspension Bridge Shuttle makes a stop at the Westin Bayshore which is only a couple of blocks from the park and an easy walk so upon your return from the Bridge you could get off there. Unless of course you want the longer lovely walk along the sea wall from Canada Place. When you are done with your carriage ride you could either walk back to the Bayshore and get a cab or you could walk back to Canada Place which is about a 20/25 min walk.

Thanks so much! I have a few other questions. When you say the cab fare is approx 35.00 from the airport to downtown, is this is Canadian dollars or US? I plan to get some Canadian currency so just want to plan to have enough. Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thanks so much! I have a few other questions. When you say the cab fare is approx 35.00 from the airport to downtown, is this is Canadian dollars or US? I plan to get some Canadian currency so just want to plan to have enough. Thanks again

Canadian dollars. I know it's very parochial of us foreigners to quote prices in our own currency, but please forgive us;)

Incidentally you can pay for any cab in Vancouver with a credit card, so if you're trying to figure how much local currency you *need* to have basically just think about very small purchases and tips - restaurants, stores, taxis will all take credit cards. A lot of businesses will even accept US dollars in cash - probably giving a crappy exchange rate, and you'll get change in Canadian.

Putterdude or Martincath: I know i read somewhere on this board that one of you gave exact directions for taking the Skytrain from YVR to Canada place but I can't seem to find them-search didn't help. If one of you knows the post # or the directions could you post them again. Thanks. Alfred

Putterdude or Martincath: I know i read somewhere on this board that one of you gave exact directions for taking the Skytrain from YVR to Canada place but I can't seem to find them-search didn't help. If one of you knows the post # or the directions could you post them again. Thanks. Alfred

Actually that was almost certainly Scottbee - he has posted step-by-step directions several times. I think this link should point you to a recent post with appropriate directions for how to get out of Waterfront to the pier most efficiently. I think this link takes you to his photo album with actual pictures of the entire process (SB - perhaps a link in your Signature with this would make it easier to find when searching...?)

Indeed it was me; Martincath already beat me to it with the photoset.

Canadian dollars. I know it's very parochial of us foreigners to quote prices in our own currency, but please forgive us;)

Incidentally you can pay for any cab in Vancouver with a credit card, so if you're trying to figure how much local currency you *need* to have basically just think about very small purchases and tips - restaurants, stores, taxis will all take credit cards. A lot of businesses will even accept US dollars in cash - probably giving a crappy exchange rate, and you'll get change in Canadian.

Here in the US, I've frequently dealt with taxi drivers claiming their credit card machines are broken and they need cash. Is this anything I should worry about in Vancouver? (Basically, I'm likely to wait to find an ATM and get cash when we arrive but our flight arrives late, body-time, so it would mostly likely be the next day before I had any)

Here in the US, I've frequently dealt with taxi drivers claiming their credit card machines are broken and they need cash. Is this anything I should worry about in Vancouver? (Basically, I'm likely to wait to find an ATM and get cash when we arrive but our flight arrives late, body-time, so it would mostly likely be the next day before I had any)

Not an experience I've ever had living in [metro] Vancouver. Don't worry; a taxi driver will take C$, US$ or Credit, and some will also take debit cards. Likewise if you opt not to take a taxi, but take the cheaper and faster Skytrain (subway) Canada Line; it also takes credit cards, and C$, but not US$.

Be warned that the money exchange at YVR really has poor exchange rates, pretty much the worst place to exchange money; just take it out of a major Bank ATM (which are everywhere)

Not an experience I've ever had living in [metro] Vancouver. Don't worry; a taxi driver will take C$, US$ or Credit, and some will also take debit cards. Likewise if you opt not to take a taxi, but take the cheaper and faster Skytrain (subway) Canada Line; it also takes credit cards, and C$, but not US$.

Be warned that the money exchange at YVR really has poor exchange rates, pretty much the worst place to exchange money; just take it out of a major Bank ATM (which are everywhere)

Thanks for the information!

Our flight gets in late (9:12 Vancouver time, 12:12am body time) and we're traveling with my husband's parents who don't travel often. In this case, I think the taxi is the path of least resistance/least waiting - we're staying in North Vancouver at Pinnacle at the Pier, so it would be Sky Train to Sea Bus, which we'll do until our cruise departs.

I definitely won't use a currency exchange - I think I really do get the best deal with my debit card at a big bank ATM, but I'm relieved to know that we'll be able to use a credit card in the taxi!

Can I pay the tip with my credit card in a taxi?

Are there large taxis for 6 people, like a mini van etc?

Yes you request a mini van cab at the taxi stand. You also might be able to get limo at YVR for the run to North Van. Most taxi's take credit cards. You'll all cabs at YVR have been approved.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Kamloops50

Actually that was almost certainly Scottbee - he has posted step-by-step directionsthis link takes you to his photo album with actual pictures of the entire process (SB - perhaps a link in your Signature with this would make it easier to find when searching...?)

thank you for the directions to Scottbee's Picture gala of skytrain to canada place. I appreciate it.

I've browsed this post but with so many I'll just ask here an apologize if my question was asked prior.

We are getting off the sky train at Waterfront on our way to Canada place and want to pick up a case of water on the way. Is there a Shoppers or London drugs, grocer in between??

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I've browsed this post but with so many I'll just ask here an apologize if my question was asked prior.

We are getting off the sky train at Waterfront on our way to Canada place and want to pick up a case of water on the way. Is there a Shoppers or London drugs, grocer in between??

Assuming you're talking about the Skytrain Canada Line from the airport (Skytrain is just the generic term for all of the elevated/subway trains in Vancouver); get off at Waterfront using the exit right on the platform (don't go down the tunnel) that is marked "WAY OUT GRANVILLE ST". 1 block up Granville there is a Rexall drugs on your right at Granville /W.Pender

Assuming you're talking about the Skytrain Canada Line from the airport (Skytrain is just the generic term for all of the elevated/subway trains in Vancouver); get off at Waterfront using the exit right on the platform (don't go down the tunnel) that is marked "WAY OUT GRANVILLE ST". 1 block up Granville there is a Rexall drugs on your right at Granville /W.Pender

Yes the Canada Line, coming from River Rock (after BC Ferries)

Thanks so much. Really don't want to lug water from Victoria!

Hello all,

Coming in to Vancouver for a one night stay pre-cruise in July. Having read a lot of this thread, I'm interested in taking the skytrain from the airport to my hotel, the Marriott Vancouver Pinnacle. I'm from southern California and public transportation is a novelty to me;). Puts me in mind of the Monorail at Disneyland, which I live next to. Couple of questions: Is there a stop close to this hotel? I will probably have a suitcase, carry on and my guitar. Will I be allowed to take that much with me. I am in fairly good physical condition and have wheeled this stuff through airports around the country so I'm not worried too much about a walk at either end of my journey. About how much is the current cost? If I decide to not do this, are there any tour companies that might pick me up at the airport, show me some of the city and deliver to my hotel?

Thanks for your comments.

Ron

Arriving early on a Friday afternoon, and staying at the Pan Pacific. Should we take a cab from the airport or should I pre-arrange for a private transfer? I think I read that a cab is approx. $40 to Canada Place. Is there any reason to go with a private transfer? I was planning to get a cab at the airport but thought I should check with the experts first.

Thanks very much!

Arriving early on a Friday afternoon, and staying at the Pan Pacific. Should we take a cab from the airport or should I pre-arrange for a private transfer? I think I read that a cab is approx. $40 to Canada Place. Is there any reason to go with a private transfer? I was planning to get a cab at the airport but thought I should check with the experts first.

Thanks very much!

Skytrain (subway) from the airport is $9/ea (incl the annoying airport surcharge), drops you 3 blocks from Pan Pacific. Faster and cheaper than a taxi.

Skytrain (subway) from the airport is $9/ea (incl the annoying airport surcharge), drops you 3 blocks from Pan Pacific. Faster and cheaper than a taxi.
I'm the last post on the previous page. Would the same price apply to me? What station should I exit?

Thanks,

Ron

You can go to this website and book local tranfers.

Downthttp://www.airportlinkshuttle.com/

ALSO:

Aeroshuttle provides shuttle service at Vancouver International Airport (YVR) to downtown hotels for $14.00 per adult (one way) or $24.64 per adult (round trip). Rates include 12% HST.

No reservation is required for service from YVR. The service is located at:

• International Terminal, Arrivals Level, 2
  • Domestic Terminal, Arrivals Level, 2

Return reservations must be made 12 hours in advance. For more information visit www.aeroshuttleyvr.ca or call 1.877.921.9021.