Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

We are staying at the Century Plaza on Burrard pre cruise. It looks like the False Creek Ferry location at the Aquatic Center is the nearest point to grab a water taxi to GI. Is there any reason not to use these ferries rather than the Aquabus line? They seem to have the same fares.

thanks from sunny Florida....

We arrive at YVR at 7:00 AM and our connecting flight to LAX isn't until 4:00 PM. Coming in from a small northern community to get a cruise out of San Pedro and returning to Vancouver. Travelling WestJet. How does it work with our luggage? Will we have to pick up our luggage and then go through US Customs or will it go through automatically? Will we be able to leave the airport for a few hours (and what suggestions do you have for things to do) and then get back to the airport for the connecting flight? Is there a place to store our carry on if we do leave the airport?

Greetings fellow cruisers!

My mother and I will have 1 day in Vancouver post cruise in May. Staying at the YWCA hotel near BC Place. Buying a day pass for transit.

1. Nearest White Spot with transit access.

2. Nearest Timmy's so I can get my double double.

3. Approximate cab fare from the YWCA hotel to the Amtrak station. We have to be at the station at 5:30am to take the train. (Yes, the train not the bus.)

Thanks for the help.

1. Also White Spot at 12th & Cambie; slightly further but only a couple of blocks from Canada Line's Broadway/City Hall station. Alternate for similar food is Moxie's in the Sandman on Georgia (1/2 block away). Are you 100% tied to WhiteSpot, because in a foodie town like Vancouver you can do better. Tons of inexpensive places in lower Robson near your hotel.
  2. Robson Street (as provided), plus alternate options in Waterfront Centre (across the street from Canada Place), one level below street level.
  3. $10 max, or Skytrain is $2.75 from Stadium Station to Main Street Station. However, Main Street currently requires a special train which at that time will only run every 10 mins or so. Probably a taxi is best

No real difference between the two companies unless you want to take a bike on board in which case the Aqua Bus is the one to take.

False Creek ferries comes in a little further from the market - a two or three minute walk - if you see Bridges restaurant on a google search it will dock there while the Aqua Ferry docks right by the market - up the ramp and you are there.

I use the Aqua ferries because 1. I live on Hornby and 2 blocks from the dock and 2. often have my bike with me.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dennis.

Scott and others - apparently the White spot will be opening a new location somewhere on Dunsmuir in the next few months - wonder if it might be in the old Keg location at Hornby and also a new Triple O's near the CBC building.

Cheers!

Dennis

Scott and others - apparently the White spot will be opening a new location somewhere on Dunsmuir in the next few months - wonder if it might be in the old Keg location at Hornby and also a new Triple O's near the CBC building.

Cheers!

Dennis

They've been saying they'll open a downtown one to replace the old Georgia location since before they closed the old Georgia location - at this point I'll believe it when I actually see the doors open...

We arrive at YVR at 7:00 AM and our connecting flight to LAX isn't until 4:00 PM. Coming in from a small northern community to get a cruise out of San Pedro and returning to Vancouver. Travelling WestJet. How does it work with our luggage? Will we have to pick up our luggage and then go through US Customs or will it go through automatically? Will we be able to leave the airport for a few hours (and what suggestions do you have for things to do) and then get back to the airport for the connecting flight? Is there a place to store our carry on if we do leave the airport?

Can't help directly with the first Q - only ever flown from Canadian airports big enough to have US staff on-site. Based on flying in from Europe via connecting in US to a Canada-bound flight I'd guess you won't need to collect your checked bags - but that is just a guess.

You can definitely leave the airport - since you'll be arriving on a domestic flight you can just walk right out of the airport. Whether it's checked bags that you do have to collect, or large carry-ons, you can store them with CDS/Priority Baggage in either Domestic or International wings of YVR. Make sure you come back by 2pm to have enough time for security/US C&I queues.

What to do? With potentially almost five hours, you could do basically anything - although getting over to the North Shore for Grouse or Capilano would be a bit of a stretch. What do you like to do!?

We are staying at the Century Plaza on Burrard pre cruise. It looks like the False Creek Ferry location at the Aquatic Center is the nearest point to grab a water taxi to GI. Is there any reason not to use these ferries rather than the Aquabus line? They seem to have the same fares.

thanks from sunny Florida....

Two things to add to UTs reply:

1) only FCF go out to the Maritime Museum - so if you want to go there, definitely use FCF.

2) if you're in town long enough to consider using the little ferries more than once or twice, decide up-front which company, buy one strip of their Aquabucks/Commuter Tickets, and always use that company. Both offer significant savings over the cash fares - but what might tip it over the edge decision-wise is that Aquabucks now cost a minimum of $25, whereas you can still get 10 1 zone tickets from FCF for $20 (i.e. you may find FCF easier to spend all of the tickets with!).

Just a little update on the White Spot - it definately won't be in the old Keg location on Dunsmuir - there is a new pub and restaurant there - I got the information from a manager of one of the current locations who attends company events so it likely is true down the road - another location I wonder about is the old 411 Seniors center is being completely gutted and refurbished. I guess only time will tell.

Cheers!

Dennis

CeeCee59: We have flown through Vancouver to U.S. destinations & our luggage has gone straight through. You will be asked to identify your luggage on a monitor when you get to U.S. Customs. Our flights have usually been close together-2 to 3 hrs between flights so am guessing your luggage will be the same. You can can Westjet & they will tell you the procedure.Alfred

1. We'll be staying for the weekend at BH, but our ship's coming into Ballantyne instead of Canada Place. What are our options for getting to the hotel, and about how much should it cost?

2. My wife would really like to visit Victoria on one of the days we're in Vancouver. I've looked into Gray Line and it's about $200 each to be part of a group tour. I'd assume renting a car and paying our own way into Butchart Gardens and seeing the sights in central Victoria would be cheaper, but how doable is it for a couple of clueless Americans to rent a car and drive/ferry themelves to Victoria and back in a day?

Edited by schnebs

1. Also White Spot at 12th & Cambie; slightly further but only a couple of blocks from Canada Line's Broadway/City Hall station. Alternate for similar food is Moxie's in the Sandman on Georgia (1/2 block away). Are you 100% tied to WhiteSpot, because in a foodie town like Vancouver you can do better. Tons of inexpensive places in lower Robson near your hotel.
  2. Robson Street (as provided), plus alternate options in Waterfront Centre (across the street from Canada Place), one level below street level.
  3. $10 max, or Skytrain is $2.75 from Stadium Station to Main Street Station. However, Main Street currently requires a special train which at that time will only run every 10 mins or so. Probably a taxi is best

I'm not tied to white spot, but this is my parents trip that my dad can't go on since he just had major eye surgery. He promised her White Spot. She likes the salmon burgers. Got hooked on them on the BC Ferry on one of their last trips. The rest of us don't do seafood, so.....she gets her White Spot. We're not real big foodies. Too many health issues in my fam. (Food allergies, Food reactions, cholesterol, diabetes, etc) We tend to find things we like and stick with them. My job on this trip is to make sure mom still gets to enjoy herself. Especially after the past month of doctors appointments, treatments, and surgeries. I'm just trying to squeeze as much into my day as possible.

Does anyone know if Costco (pharmacy) carries Drixoral or if I need to find a regular pharmacy to get it? They stopped selling it in the states a few years ago and I'm just about out.

1. We'll be staying for the weekend at BH, but our ship's coming into Ballantyne instead of Canada Place. What are our options for getting to the hotel, and about how much should it cost?

2. My wife would really like to visit Victoria on one of the days we're in Vancouver. I've looked into Gray Line and it's about $200 each to be part of a group tour. I'd assume renting a car and paying our own way into Butchart Gardens and seeing the sights in central Victoria would be cheaper, but how doable is it for a couple of clueless Americans to rent a car and drive/ferry themelves to Victoria and back in a day?

Doable but the cost of the ferry will be approx $180 or 2 people and car admission to the gardens $30.80 each. Add the cost of the rental....

Getting to the gardens driving is very easy, great signage etc. Give yourself a few hours there. Downtown Victoria is another 30 drive south depending on traffic. Depending on when you are traveling, summer ferries run hourly till 9 or 10 om the sailing time 1 hr 40 min plus loading unloading etc. For convenience and relaxation of not having to drive and just enjoy the sights, the bus isn't that bad.

Ballentyne Pier is in a sketchy part of town. I'd cab it. Best guess $20-$30 cab fare but don't quote this Victoria girl. I do know it was quite a hassle with luggage doing transit from Canada place to Ballentyne requiring going down 4 flights of stairs rather than "front door" service in a cab.

The BH is a lovely hotel, stayed there 2 yes ago

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Just saw a groupon for "dinner in the dark". Can anyone critique this venue? Looks like location is on Granville island. Thanks in advance!

Had a quick look on Groupon and the only one I saw was an expired link to a discount at Dark Table - which is not on Granville Island but in Kitsilano about a mile-and-a-half further west. I really can't imagine there being scope for more than one restaurant of this type so I'm 99% sure this is the one you're referring to! I have not done it here yet myself so can't say one way or another about the quality of food & service.

I know they operate the same way as the original O Noir in Montreal & Toronto by employing local visually-impaired people through the CNIB. In that respect it's great because the employment stats for the blind are terribly low, so any avenue that allows them a new option for work is great in my book.

Conceptually, if you've never tried eating food without using your vision it is an experience worth trying - definitely makes the food seem different, it's amazing how much vision or lack thereof impacts your smell & taste. Frankly the Groupon discount was pretty crappy for a restaurant anyway - I can't imagine many people finding the experience worthwhile at $54 but not so at the regular price of $78... decent value for a three course meal for two in the first place.

Lulubelle's info seems fine except the cab fare - I'd expect to pay less than $20 even from BH unless there's a lengthy queue getting into Ballantyne (and with only one ship ever going from there that seems unlikely).

This is hopefully a really stupid question, but since you don't have any posts about which cruise you're on... did you check it doesn't already visit Victoria???

You do have various options without using a car - the most 'full service' of which would be to use the Pacific Coach Van to Vic bus. Multiple departures, so you can go really early and come back really late to maximize time on the island. Once you're there you can board another coach for a tour of Vic, trip to Butchart, or both - with the same folks, or someone else. Compare the pricing of what you actually want to do with Gray Line and see which fits your preferences/budget better.

Frankly I'd never drive to Victoria without an overnight, as one of the best things about the place IMO is Swans Bar for some cask Buckerfields ESB, served at the proper temperature - a vanishingly-rare thing on these shores...:(

Well, renting a car ($$) plus then paying the car each way on the ferry ($$$$$$$$) possibly a reservation fee if you're unwilling to just take which ever ferry isn't full ($$$) is more than the Gray Line.

However, it sounds complicated , but it's almost as fast, and WAAAAY cheaper, you can take local buses and walk on the ferry.

• Buy a 3 zone ticket and take Canada Line Skytrain (either; toward YVR or Brighouse) to "Bridgeport Station", transfer at Bridgeport to a "620 Tsawwassen Ferry" bus (same ticket works for both). $5.50;
  • Walk on the "Swartz Bay" ferry. $16.25;
  • Take the #81 "Brentwood" bus to Butchart Gardens; $2.50; (which is timed to meet the odd hour boats)

Timing is the key. The #81 runs only odd hours from Swartz Bay, which means odd hour ferries which means leave downtown about 90 mins before the ferry leaves (for example)

7:29am - dep WATERFRONT STATION CANADA LINE

SKYTRAIN - CANADA LINE TO YVR or BRIGHOUSE

7:47am - arr BRIDGEPORT STATION

8:00am - dep BRIDGEPORT STN BAY 4 "620 TSAWW. FERRY VIA LADNER EXCH"

8:36am - arr TSAWWASSEN FERRY TERMINAL

<<walk on the 9am ferry>>

Coming home is just the reverse

Last year Butchart also ran a free shuttle from the ferry terminal at Swartz Bay to the gardens, not sure if it's running this year (looks like it's not http://www.peninsulashuttle.ca/)

Lulubelle's info seems fine except the cab fare - I'd expect to pay less than $20 even from BH unless there's a lengthy queue getting into Ballantyne (and with only one ship ever going from there that seems unlikely).

This is hopefully a really stupid question, but since you don't have any posts about which cruise you're on... did you check it doesn't already visit Victoria???

You do have various options without using a car - the most 'full service' of which would be to use the Pacific Coach Van to Vic bus. Multiple departures, so you can go really early and come back really late to maximize time on the island. Once you're there you can board another coach for a tour of Vic, trip to Butchart, or both - with the same folks, or someone else. Compare the pricing of what you actually want to do with Gray Line and see which fits your preferences/budget better.

Frankly I'd never drive to Victoria without an overnight, as one of the best things about the place IMO is Swans Bar for some cask Buckerfields ESB, served at the proper temperature - a vanishingly-rare thing on these shores...:(

Or any one of the superlative micro breweries in Victoria.

Swan's is fascinating, because it's been owned by the University since Michael Williams died and willed to UVic. I remember sitting having a beer with him many times when it 1st opened (he was a friend of a friend); and also remember drinking Appleton Brown back when it was made by Frank Appleton...

The gardens are closer to the Schwartz Bay ferry terminal than they are to Victoria. To take a car and two people return on the ferry will cost you in the order of 200 dollars (check the BCFERRIES website for schedule and prices). It may be that you can arrange to take a bus from the terminal or from nearby Sidney to butchard, or take a taxi from the ferry terminal at predetermined cost. Check with Sydney Taxi companies and Butchard. It is definetly possible to catch a Ferry from Tswassen to Shwartzbay, visit the Gardens, and return in one day.

There are buses that run between Richmond and the Ferry terminal, and these can be connected with by using the Canada Line subway from Downtown Vancouver. Check Translink's trip planner on the Translink web site.

If you do prefer the ease and flexibility of going to Butchard by car, a good idea is to reserve your going and coming space on the ferry ahead of time.

You will need to plan on being at the terminals more than 1/2 hour before the ferry sails, as in the last half hour the ferries give the reserved spaces away.

The drive to Butchard from the Terminal is well signed an a pretty trip.

There are also buses that run direct to the ferry from downtown Vancouver, some of them you will go on the ferry with you and transfer you to Victoria when you are on the island. Municipal Transit also takes people to butchard.

After all that -- the simplest way for a Vancouver visitor who is unfamiliar with the territory to get Butchard and back in a day, is to use one of the excursion busses that you have described above. Many local people who want to go into Victoria for a day, catch a bctransit bus to the ferry terminal, ride the ferry, take direct transit bus into Victoria and have a good time looking around the city. The transit bus terminal is adjacent to the Empress Hotel and right in the heart of the city.

There are also regular seaplane flights from Vancouver Harbour to Victoria. More expensive, but flying gives you a marvelous perspective over Vancouver, the Gulf of Georgia and its islands and of Victoria. Some people do a half and half journey -- fly to Victoria in the morning and take the bus/ferry/bus journey back to Vancouver in the evening. Again -- ask BCFerries, the Seaplane companies and Translink for specific information.

Ballantyne Pier is a short chop from Canada Place and Vancouver's downtown. The problem is that to get to and from it you have to go through the seediest part of the city. If there are many ships unloading at Canada Place and Ballantyne, there can be taxi shortage and a long wait, but you really should not exit from Ballantyne unless you have a ride. Some times crew members will walk to the bus routes from Ballantyne, but I wouldn't advise it. If you are passenger with the usual amount of passenger luggage, you will definitely need a taxi. I would opt for a ships transfer that will take you either to your hotel or to a safe taxi exchange. A taxi from the ship sometimes more affordable if you are combining a few people to ride in the taxi. Some taxi companies have vans and mini vans, and you should be able to arrange to have one meet you at Ballantyne. Try googling Vancouver Taxies and write or phone. Prices will vary depending on where the hotel is, sometimes pre arranging a taxi is worth the tip. You can also phone your hotel and ask if they supply pick up service or shuttles.

agree with RSCBC comments re Bannatyne Pier sailed out of it last year, took us 4 hours from when we arrived and dropped off our bags till we got to our cabin,complete shambles, only 4 us immigration staff for 2500 passengers.

If you want to travel to Victoria without wheels you should check the BC Transit web site , which is an excellent site details of all services throughout the province, they even operate diouble deckers in Victoria, which seems popularwith N Americans

Can't help directly with the first Q - only ever flown from Canadian airports big enough to have US staff on-site. Based on flying in from Europe via connecting in US to a Canada-bound flight I'd guess you won't need to collect your checked bags - but that is just a guess.

You can definitely leave the airport - since you'll be arriving on a domestic flight you can just walk right out of the airport. Whether it's checked bags that you do have to collect, or large carry-ons, you can store them with CDS/Priority Baggage in either Domestic or International wings of YVR. Make sure you come back by 2pm to have enough time for security/US C&I queues.

What to do? With potentially almost five hours, you could do basically anything - although getting over to the North Shore for Grouse or Capilano would be a bit of a stretch. What do you like to do!?

Your querie re luggage has already been in answered.

With regards to "what to do" - the Canada Line extension to YVR runs straight to Vancouver's waterfront station adjacent to Canada Place.

Suggestion - by a full day transit ticket at the ticket booth -- allows you to get off and on buses and trains and ferry to north Vancouver - a bit of overkill time wise, but worth the ease it makes of travelling.

Options - get off train at Olympic Station and head to False Creek and stroll into Granville island and wander about, maybe catching a bite a local eateries or in the take outs at the Granville island market. Great fish plus lots of other stuff in the market and a plethora of restaurants etc., on the island

from Catch an aquabus in front of the market and cross false creek to downtown. You can wander around the parks and the pleasant strolls on the south side of false creek, eat well too, and sky train from the roundhouse either to waterfront or back to the airport.

Go directly from YVR to waterfront -- again you have a great waterfront walk way to explore and much to spend money on in Gastown, or in any of the malls and emporiums further north. Again there are great pubs about - consider one ground level in the convention centre and a second down the hill in the park adjacent. Perfect places to stretch your legs and enjoy the vistas.

Another choice is to get off the Canada line at Roundhouse and follow the walkway in either direction, again pleasant eateries within 15 to 20 minutes stroll and the Seawall views, walks and parks are local favorites.

If you need to be back at YVR, you will have to catch the Canada Line back to the airport at a bout 1:30, You won't have much time to do much more than choose one area, look around, enjoy the area and snack. 'tis a pity, because Vancouver has so much to offer.

One last possibility is to take an extended ride - Canada Line and Sea bus to Londsdale Quay in North Vancouver. There's not much to see from the Canada Line, its all underground, and the seats on the ferry are far from the window, but you do get nice view of Vancouver's skyline from Lonsdale Quay and it too, has several eateries, some outside, to keep you from starving to death.

My favorite place to Visit on a short stop in Vancouver is the Bill Reid Museum on Hornby Street. It's a very small gallery dedicated to the Haida artist Reid and contains some of his sculpture and artifects. It's a very moving place to spend time in, and central to British Columbia's cultural identity. The museum is in a very small building just north of Georgia Street and across from the Hotel Vancouver and Courthouse. It's not open everyday of the week, so make a website visit ahead of time. Depart the Canada Line at City Center, and make your way up the long elevator to Georgia Street, and head west towards the Vancouver Art Gallery. Walk north up the west side of Hornby Street, and within a block you'll be at the museums entrance. If you have departed Vancouver from YVR, or have wandered into the departure area before catching the sky train, you can't miss Bill Reid's carving, "the Jade Canoe". Make sure you take a good look at it even if you never get into his museum downtown.

Alas, we don't - we're on the 5/19 Disney Wonder cruise from San Diego - the only port we visit is San Francisco. I'd love to stay overnight at the Empress someday, but the nice people who pay me insist on my being back at work after the long weekend. :(

Speaking of the long weekend, should we expect any problems with traffic or anything being closed in Vancouver on Memorial Day? Thanks for everyone's responses on my last questions.

Edited by schnebs

Speaking of the long weekend, should we expect any problems with traffic or anything being closed in Vancouver on Memorial Day? Thanks for everyone's responses on my last questions.

No, American Memorial Day is not observed in Canada, our holiday is Victoria Day which this year is May 19th.

PD - May 19th is there sail date from San Diego - they arrive in Vancouver on May 24, 2014 which is the US holiday weekend and other than lots of extra tourists in town won't affect any of our retailers.

Cheers

Dennis

Ut, yes I understood this to be the case. The question was should there be problems with traffic or anything closed in Vancouver because of Memorial Day which of course is only observed in the USA....so the answer is "no". If I confused you with the mention of the Victoria Day weekend then I apologize.