Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I would like to have limo service from the airport to the Westin Bayshore. I checked Limojet Gold's website and it says that reservation are not necessary. We will be arriving at @5pm on a Friday night. Do you think there my be any problems getting a limo? Thank you for any information you may have.

Karen

I've used them a few times. They are based at the airport so once the limos are taken, new ones replace them. I've never had to wait as there have always been two or three just sitting there... although I usually arrive evenings or weekends. You can reserve though. The limos were nice and the drivers pleasant. They took credit cards and cash.

The SS Prince George was Canadian National Steamships' ship that among other things sailed to Alaska in the 60's and into the 70's. It together with Canadian Pacific Steamships' Princess Patricia were the precurser to the Alaska cruise industry that we have today. The Princess Patricia used to be leased at the end of the Alaska season to Princess which was just an upstart cruise line in those days and it would sail the Mexican Riv. in Princess livery. The Prince George was all of 5,500 tons ( that is about the siaze of the Queen of Burnaby that sails between Powell River and Comox), carried about 300 pax and had a crew of about 150. We stopped in Prince Rupert, Ketchican, Juneau, Skagway, we often sailed the Wrangle Narrows, stoped in Wrangle, then Prince Rupert again, Ocean Falls, the Gardner Cannel then back to Vancouver. In those days it was a nine day round trip and that summer I made 13 round trips. A few year latter my brother sailed on the Prince George but they had dropped Ocean Falls then and stopped in Alert Bay. So the Alaska I knew some 45 years ago is quite different to the touristy Alaska of today. Here is a picture of the Prince George...oh we didn't have stablizers in those days and as we crossed Queen Charlotte Sound and Dixon Entrance at meal times there were seldom many people for the second sitting.:D

893932082_ssPrinceGeorge.jpg.4ed1fc31a8cbf494c6551fb28165ea63.jpg

Two comments that may have been made and I didn't see....the Airporter accepts credit cards; you can buy tickets at the info desk as you enter the exit lobby in the terminal, or just go to the curbside and buy tickets at the clearly marked podium.

Also, we didn't use a cab but I noticed they are midsized cars (Toyota Camry?) They will hold only 2-3 adults and their luggage.

Also, we didn't use a cab but I noticed they are midsized cars (Toyota Camry?) They will hold only 2-3 adults and their luggage.

Actually they are a size or two down from the Camary and you are quite right about what they can hold. There are however still a few larger cabs left but are disappearing by the week and some mini-van cabs that can handle larger groups.

Thanks to the info I've gleaned from CC my friends and I decided to book limos from the airport in Seattle, to the Amtrak Station the next morning, from the station in YVR,and from the Westin Grand to Ballantyne Pier, and finally from port in San Diego to hotel at the end of the two week cruise. We're a group of 5 gals and after reading about the downsizing of cabs in YVR and elsewhere we thought it safest to have limos that can handle all of us together along with our luggage. Initially we were going to take pot luck at the airports and railroad stations but with 5 of us we thought having reservations would be better.

So, THANK YOU to all who post information on the different ports. It has made the decisions and planning easier for us.

Sending hugs from the Big Easy,

Jean

Thanks to the info I've gleaned from CC my friends and I decided to book limos from the airport in Seattle, to the Amtrak Station the next morning, from the station in YVR,and from the Westin Grand to Ballantyne Pier, and finally from port in San Diego to hotel at the end of the two week cruise. We're a group of 5 gals and after reading about the downsizing of cabs in YVR and elsewhere we thought it safest to have limos that can handle all of us together along with our luggage. Initially we were going to take pot luck at the airports and railroad stations but with 5 of us we thought having reservations would be better.

So, THANK YOU to all who post information on the different ports. It has made the decisions and planning easier for us.

Sending hugs from the Big Easy,

Jean

I think you made a good decision, it is nice knowing that everything is taken care of and you can all travel together, with luggage.

Enjoy the trip... report back with a review on Vancouver when you get back.

Happy to report that I get to sail out of Vancouver once again. We just booked another three day repo cruise, Vancouver to LA on Sept 22.

It makes for a nice little get away and the price is always right. Heck the airfare home is more than the cruise. We would of loved to fly LA to Seattle, but then there is the problem of getting home. Train/shuttle are just too slow and we wouldn't get home till late, plus their costs added to airfare eat up the price difference of flying right into Vancouver.

After you get to the Weston Grand you may want to check with them to see if they have a shuttle that will take you to the Ballantyne terminal. The only reason I mention this is that we often see Weston Bayshore shuttles around town and I wonder if the Grand has the same. Sometimes if you don''t ask you don't get.:)

This one is for putterdude (again):

What are the bus routes to go from the Bayshore over to Granville Island?

Thanks!

Hi hope you don't mind me answering, I am actually a transit driver with the city so I should be able to help.

When you leave your hotel walk down to Pender street, cross the street (heading East) and catch the #19 "Downtown" bus to Howe Street (heading South). On Howe Street catch the #50 "Granville Island" bus. Fare is $2.50 for adult, $1.75 for children under 18 and children at heart that are 65 and older... transfer is good for 90 min.

If you are unsure just ask the driver.

Hi hope you don't mind me answering, I am actually a transit driver with the city so I should be able to help.

When you leave your hotel walk down to Pender street, cross the street (heading East) and catch the #19 "Downtown" bus to Howe Street (heading South). On Howe Street catch the #50 "Granville Island" bus. Fare is $2.50 for adult, $1.75 for children under 18 and children at heart that are 65 and older... transfer is good for 90 min.

If you are unsure just ask the driver.

Thanks for answering! Canadians are soooooooo nice :-)

Happy to have the resident expert answer that one....never was very good on transit; generally had to ask the dirver what bus I needed and what the fare was.:)

Not a problem. I got the answer from the friendly transit worker!

Happy to have the resident expert answer that one....never was very good on transit; generally had to ask the dirver what bus I needed and what the fare was.:)

Most of us don't mind answering questions, it is the ones that don't ask and then find out when it way too late that they are on the wrong bus that I feel bad for.

When I drove in the city many tourists would get on my bus when I was driving a Victoria or Nanaimo bus and ask "are you going to Victoria? or Are you going to Nanaimo?" and I was but I was going to the major street called Victoria. But you guessed it they wanted Victoria the City! :D

Yes Canadians are friendly; however I have found the same with Americans, or at least with the cities I have visited have been very friendly and very helpful whenever I've asked.

Happy to report that I get to sail out of Vancouver once again. We just booked another three day repo cruise, Vancouver to LA on Sept 22.

It makes for a nice little get away and the price is always right. Heck the airfare home is more than the cruise. We would of loved to fly LA to Seattle, but then there is the problem of getting home. Train/shuttle are just too slow and we wouldn't get home till late, plus their costs added to airfare eat up the price difference of flying right into Vancouver.

Those are great deals, we usually get one in September as the ships reposition, but we do a 4 day (a stop in Seattle or Astoria on the way down). So far, we've been really lucky with weather as well. The worst part is getting to LAX for the early flight home!

Those are great deals, we usually get one in September as the ships reposition, but we do a 4 day (a stop in Seattle or Astoria on the way down). So far, we've been really lucky with weather as well. The worst part is getting to LAX for the early flight home!

I would of loved a longer one but since we actually don't have vacation time, we are using our weekend (Tues/Wed) and then taking two days off in banked Overtime.

Yeah I know what you mean about the flights. Last year we waited to long and could only book a flight that left at 3pm... we got to the airport at 9:30 and then waited, and waited. This time we booked a 11:40 flight, and get home around 2:30.

I would of loved a longer one but since we actually don't have vacation time, we are using our weekend (Tues/Wed) and then taking two days off in banked Overtime.

Yeah I know what you mean about the flights. Last year we waited to long and could only book a flight that left at 3pm... we got to the airport at 9:30 and then waited, and waited. This time we booked a 11:40 flight, and get home around 2:30.

Being married to an retired bus driver (sorry - transit operator!) out of PoCo, with 30 years service, I know how hard it is to put together some decent time off!

I want to thank everyone who has answered questions on this thread. My wife and I stayed for 1 day before and 3 days after our Tahitian Princess cruise in July. We got a lot of info from this thread and had a great time in Vancouver. We stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton near the airport for one night before the cruise and enjoyed the stay. The people at the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

After the cruise we stayed at the Westin Bayshore resort for 3 nights and again enjoyed our stay. The people at the hotel were helpful especially the Concierge Desk. We ate one night in the hotel's restaurant, the Seawall Bar & Grill and had a nice meal with excellent service and good food. We did not use room service or eat any breakfasts there because we felt the prices in the breakfast restaurant were too high. I went out to a restaurant, the Blue Tree Cafe, that was within easy walking distance and got breakfast sandwiches. We also picked up one lunch there. Service was excellent and the food was very good.

We also ate one dinner meal at a local chain, the White Spot, which had good food, good local draft beer and good service. Another night we ate at the Fish House at the edge of Stanley park and had a excellent meal with good service and atmosphere.

We used the Vancouver Trolley company to get around a couple of days and found they offered good value for their costs. We also used the free shuttle service in Stanley Park and had a very good experience with them except for the "advice" that they could let us off a "5 minute walk" to the Fish House. My wife has some mobility problems and after a 25 minute walk we finally found a local resident who told us how to get there and after 40 minutes we arrived at the restaurant. If you are going there and have a Trolley ticket, they can drop you off right near the restaurant but we didn't know that until the next day.

We ate lunch one day in the Gastown district at the Black Frog, a local pub, which offered very good food, excellent draft beer and good food. It is right down the side street from the Gastown Steam clock so it is easy to find.

Vancouver is a beautiful city with lots to see and do. We enjoyed our visit as we did our Alaskan cruise.

Have a great next cruise.

Hi

Was wondering just how far is Burnaby from downtown Vancouver ... Canada Place, Gastown, etc.

I'm thinking of booking the Hilton that's located there.

Thanks!

:)

Burnaby is the suburb just east of Vancouver. The Hilton, I am assuming you are referring to the Hilton at Metrotown. We discussed this hotel and how to get around earlier on this thread, you could do a search on this thread for the Hilton. The hotel is right at Metrotown Skytrain station. Fare to the city during the week prior to 6:30 pm is $3.75 pp

Being married to an retired bus driver (sorry - transit operator!) out of PoCo, with 30 years service, I know how hard it is to put together some decent time off!

Okay, now you have my curiosity. I am driver out of Poco, have driven there for 9 years, my first year was at Oakridge. My husband also drivers out of Poco and has been since 95. I am very much involved in the union, was the sheet/service rep and the sign up rep. So I know many of the operators, and most everyone knows us as we are one of the few married transit ops.

Who is your spouse? When did he/she retire?

Okay, now you have my curiosity. I am driver out of Poco, have driven there for 9 years, my first year was at Oakridge. My husband also drivers out of Poco and has been since 95. I am very much involved in the union, was the sheet/service rep and the sign up rep. So I know many of the operators, and most everyone knows us as we are one of the few married transit ops.

Who is your spouse? When did he/she retire?

Might be a bit before your time, he retired officially in Jan 2006 but had been on LTD for 8 years before. Started in Oakridge (doesn't everyone!) then Burnaby and went to PoCo the day it opened. Was president of the Social Club there for a few years. John Morgan.

Hi

Was wondering just how far is Burnaby from downtown Vancouver ... Canada Place, Gastown, etc.

I'm thinking of booking the Hilton that's located there.

I live in Burnaby, and here's the answer (at least from the Hilton)

About 12km (8 miles) from the Hilton to the cruise terminal.

by car: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=6083+McKay+Avenue,+Burnaby,+BC+V5H2W7,+Canada+(Hilton+Vancouver+Metrotown)&daddr=canada+place&hl=en&geocode=6717539728171085822,49.228874,-123.003374&mra=ls&sll=49.254809,-123.013573&sspn=0.124592,0.363922&ie=UTF8&z=13&start=0

by transit (recommended): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=6083+McKay+Avenue,+Burnaby,+BC+V5H2W7,+Canada+(Hilton+Vancouver+Metrotown)&daddr=canada+place&hl=en&geocode=6717539728171085822,49.228874,-123.003374&mra=ls&dirflg=r&date=08%2F06%2F08&time=7:40pm&ttype=dep&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=&sll=49.25826,-123.058065&sspn=0.062291,0.181961&ie=UTF8&ll=49.256714,-123.061466&spn=0.062293,0.181961&z=13&start=0

Skytrain (Transit) is much faster, and way cheaper than a cab, and basically drops you in the same spot. As Vicki/Bernie pointed out, $3.75 buys you a ticket from a couple of blocks from the Hilton straight to the Canada Place (Carnival/Princess/HA/NCL) cruise terminal on Skytrain. Get off Skytrain, turn left, up one short escallator, turn right, up another and you're staring at your boat. In fact the last cruise we took (w/ Vicki/Bernie on board) we got there via Skytrain, and I wouldn't think of doing it any other way.

However, If you're going on RCCL/Celebrity, they use a different dock (a couple of miles east of Canada Place), and transit isn't the ideal route, you're better off with a cab