Glacier Discovery tours: How to choose

TylerRose

After exploring port options for Eorope I am attempting to talk DH into a return to Alaska... Always relaxing! Europe sounds exciting; but very port intensive with little time to rest. And the cost of excursions for 7 is obscene.

Considering Cruisetour 18: includes Double Denali, Kenai & Glacier Discovery.

Ship Choices:

ms Veendam

ms Ryndam

I have not cruised on either....How are the older ships holding up?

How are cruisetours for older, less mobile people. My MIL is in a wc most of the time.

I can't speak to the Veendam, but I can tell you that the Ryndam in Alaska this July was wonderful!!! I was very impressed with the Ship and the staff! The Ryndam will be undergoing the first SOE transformation in a few weeks.:)

I would recommend that if you are thinking about an Alaska cruisetour, that you make sure that you take the land-based portion first, and then the cruise. We did it the other way around and came home exhausted.:eek:

Although Alaska was wonderful (we did that cruisetour in 2003 on the Statendam) we were less than impressed with HAL's land staff and the accommodations we had during the land portion of the trip. That said, we loved the cruise portion of the experience so much that we did a b2b this July and had an awesome time!:cool:

When booking a back to back... how much repeatition is there... ie menus, shows, etc. Do you feel like you miss out on the newness of a longer cruise, or is it even more relaxing since you are not always rushing for your one shot to do something?

TylerRose

We have done several versions of Alaska.

If you do decide to do a land tour along with a cruise - DO THE land portion first. The land portion is very tiring - you spend a lot of hours on trains and/or buses depending on which land tour you choose. If you do the land tour first then you can rest up on the cruise.

We have also done back-to-backs once on the Ryndam a couple of years ago and our ports differed only a little. We also had different Glacier viewing.

If you wan to do back-to-backs - choose a ship that offers at least one different port in each direction as well as different glaciers.

There was repetition on our cruise in regard to ports and meals, but we found it most enjoyable! There was always something different to try for a meal, or it if was particularly enjoyable ( like the chocolate tulip) we ordered it both nights! Additionally, as the weather is ever changing in Alaska, the sights were different each time we were in a port, even if they were "repeats".:)

There was something wonderful in having all the other pax getting ready to leave the ship on the 6th night, knowing that we would be able to relax the next morning while they disembarked and then explore Seward! There was a substantial difference in airfare as we were able to fly roundtrip into Vancouver. There are so many different types of excursions that we never felt like we had "been there, done that". Hope this helps!:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I can't speak to the Veendam, but I can tell you that the Ryndam in Alaska this July was wonderful!!!

My husband and I are planning an Alaska cruisetour on the Ryndam for next June/July. We will do the land portion first for the same reason you mentioned. Did your tour go to Prudhoe Bay? I was wondering what that was like. What about the flight from Prudhoe to Anchorage? What kind of plane? Real small? Thanks!

A MAJOR consideration with any cruise tour is to book ENOUGH time ideally at least 7 days or longer. The common theme here of "being exhausting" is what makes these cruisetours less than ideal. It is superior with seeing twice as much for half the cost if you go on your own. Way too many people grossly underestimate time and distance. Cruisetours are also point to point group travel which is also less desirable in Alaska- you have no idea what you are missing and locked into schedules that may not be your priority interest. BE WELL informed of what you are purchasing. Understand fully the various tours and shuttles into Denali Park- it is usually a highlight for most. The longest tour still only gets you in a little over half way- too short in my experience. Meals are not included budget 50% more than at home for a cushion. I travel Alaska frequently- frankly- I am NEVER exhausted from my travels- I know how to plan them enjoying my favorites. As for Prudhoe Bay- determine WHY you want to go there?? It is a total industrial area, with tours necessary. Yes small planes usually - 8-10 seaters. But can vary depending on the tour? Myself I would never fly back and forth there just to tour the pipeline. Barrow has much more to offer for the costs. Better in the way of time and experience I think is to fly to Coldfoot and shuttle back- long day trip but extremely varied. Bottom line- allow enough and extra time in Alaska.

Forr those not familiar with Budget Queen, you should know that her knowledge of touring Alaska is truly exceptional. If she had a resume of her Alaska trips, it would run on for pages.

Take her advise very seriously. It is unimpeachable.

Also, do a work-up on the price for the land portion of the cruise tours. It is ridiculous, and doesn't even include meals. You can do the same on your own and on your own schedule for much less, and have a better trip to boot.

or it if was particularly enjoyable ( like the chocolate tulip) we ordered it both nights!

Sorry..this is OT but... Wasn't chocolate tulip GREAT?! I absolutely loved it and

I want it NOW :( !

You said your mother-in-law is in a wheelchair most of the time. This needs to be addressed before you can decide about a land tour. The HAL tours are bus and train. Can your MIL climb on and off constantly? Will storage of her wheelchair be a problem after luggage is stored? Will she be able to use the restroom on the bus? On the train?

There's probably a host of other questions to ask.

I suggest you sit down with a TA who has experience in this area and consider the total picture before deciding.

I tend to like the HAL-arranged tours, but that might not be the best choice for you.

Thanks to all my responders.

We are considering a cruise tour only because we are a multigenerational family of 7, & because the cruise I really want on the Prinsendam to the Baltics is really highly priced, and the additional costs of excursions build up quickly with a daily port stop in a different COUNTRY!

After a roundtrip VBC inside passage on Zandam, and a 14 day roundtrip of a lifetime via SFO on Prinsendam, we know we really love the environment, atmosphere, and sights of an Alaskan cruise. We know with my MIL our options are quite limited.

Thanks to Budget Queen and many others I feel I could book a land tour independently,but as RuthC pointed out, her WC requires assistance. AS for now- YES, she is mobile, but limitations change regularly and my motto is "Be Prepared". Thanks for the insight on foodas well, I definately did not realize it wasn't a part of it. I will keep researching.

On a closing note, I want to comment on this board. I found a R/t from Seattle on another line that goes up to Seward and immediatly started researching. Folks on the other board dislike the ship nearly as much as each other.

Thank you HAL posters for offering advice in a supportive, noncombative manner for years!

Steven- than you for the kind words. It is a VERY valid point to consider the transportation options for the MIL, But also consider the TIME involved as well- and on a tour- no way out nor the ability to stop as desired. The rail Anchorage- Denali Park is 8 hours, Tundra Wilderness tour 6-8 hours on a school bus with every seat taken. As a suggestion- also consider a couple RV's ideal for going on your own schedule, having bathroom and cooking options, refridgerator, ability to rest. AND far more freedom. Wouldn't be more than a cruisetour probably and your schedule would be for you. If so inclined- you can get plenty of planning information from first hand visitors. Extremely simple driving, 2 lane well maintained roads etc. An excellent company to deal with is Great Alaskan Holidays. Don't consider any less than 24 feet however, having a permanent bed is a must. I also would not overlook NCL's round trip Seward options. Just make sure you can do your planned activities in the time frame. I think this is a good option for a longer cruise.

Budget Queen: I love the NCL itinerary, but NCL posters seem angry and dissappointed in everything about the Dream. It is such a turn off to read so many negatives. At first I thought I had found the ideal solution. But the boards... oy

But at least it would get us up to an area we have not been, without the long flight, and other mobitlity concerns. It is a long time since we cruised another line. Do you really feel all are similar enough not matter the line? At least on HAL I know what I am booking. I know my handicapped access.

Sorry..this is OT but... Wasn't chocolate tulip GREAT?! I absolutely loved it and

I want it NOW :( !

I am praying they still are serving them on our Rotterdam cruise in December. I can see me ordering..."I'd like a salad, dressing on the side, and 3 chocolate tulips":eek: :cool:

Our experience in booking our 7/04 Alaska B2B was that by Dec. 03 we couldn't even get the same cabin for both ways as they where almost booked solid!

We really loved our back-to-backs on the Ryndam in 2003. We booked then nearly a year in advance just to make certain that we had the same cabin.

That is the only cruise that we were disappointed in the food. The Ryndam had just gotten a new chef and we were all the guinea pigs. We ended up eating many times in the Pinnacle.

Tyler- if the itinerary is ideal then forget about the ship negatives. Alaska is for what is outside. :) All ships have decent food- NONE gourmet any longer. You need to determine what is right for you- if the ship is as important as the destination- then go with that choice. Any sailing will be a compromise.

Archived