Help!! Id Crisis

We are cruising in 3 days and my friend does not have a passport or a birth certificate. Does anyone have any alternatives that have worked recently?? An affidavit that she is a legal citizen? Bringing hospital paperwork, voter registration, etc?

Any ideas??? Need help!!!

Thanks!

WOW-- How sad for your friend. You also need a drivers license or a state issue ID-- without a birth certificate you cant get one of those either.

i'd be curious to know if your friend got to go with you on the cruise.

They are rather strict with this.

I lieu of a passport, only an original or certified copy of their birth certificate is acceptable, along with a piece of government-issued photo ID. A voter registration card is not proof of citizenship and won't be accepted.

Is there any way you can fast-track a passport application? If not, your friend is hosed unfortunately.

AFAIK Your friend needs a birth certificate and a photo ID.I have used a city issue school id with a state stamp on it in the past to fly along with my birth certificate before I had a drivers license. Your friend has a big problem - good luck.

Here is the website for RC regarding travel documentation... They ARE firm on this!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do#Dom

Without a passport or birth certificate AND a government issued photo ID - she will be denied boarding.

There are no other acceptable forms of ID as you are traveling outside the US.

Best hope is to see if she can possibly get a copy of her BC in time, though that may be quite difficult due to how soon you are traveling.

You can try vitalchek.com but three days is an extremely short time.

If you can get to where she was born and go to city hall, they might be able to do it quickly if you shove enough money their way.

We are cruising in 3 days and my friend does not have a passport or a birth certificate. Does anyone have any alternatives that have worked recently?? An affidavit that she is a legal citizen? Bringing hospital paperwork, voter registration, etc?

Thanks!

I mean no disrespect to you or your friend, but how did this escape both of you until 3 days prior to your trip?

I mean no disrespect to you or your friend, but how did this escape both of you until 3 days prior to your trip?

LOL, ok, I will admit it...I was thinking the same thing.

As far as VitalChek dot com goes, I used them and I think they have a quickie mail service...at this point you will need to overnight it. Maybe you guys can switch the cruise to a few days/week later? I feel just awful for your friend.

Good Luck

I doubt that they would would be able to change their cruise date. I always make sure I have all important documents in a safe place a couple months before a cruise.

Did your friend misplace her birth certificate? I would contact the city where she was born as others have suggested and see if they can overnight a copy.

I lieu of a passport, only an original or certified copy of their birth certificate is acceptable, along with a piece of government-issued photo ID. A voter registration card is not proof of citizenship and won't be accepted.

Is there any way you can fast-track a passport application? If not, your friend is hosed unfortunately.

Can't get a passport w/out a certified copy of your birth cert.

I'd say whoever sold them the cruise omitted some important info or someone didn't read the documents.

On our first cruise with our children I didn't check the birth certificates to make sure I had them. I was missing one and it was lucky we could drive 3 hours each wat to get it. Hubby had to take a day off without pay to get it....not real happy with me!

This whole passport/documentation info has been quite the talk in the news lately also.

I work as a Pier Agent at Port Everglades for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Generally we will only accept a Passport (valid or expired) or a Government issued birth certificate together with government issued photo ID. There are circumstances where other forms of proof of citizenship have been accepted but it isn't recommended and is considered on a case by case basis. A hospital birth certificate is never acceptable.

Thanks!

VERY Long shot... but I don't guess there's any chance she was born in North Carolina??????? I happen to be the Register of Deeds of a county in NC. I would help if I could!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

VERY Long shot... but I don't guess there's any chance she was born in North Carolina??????? I happen to be the Register of Deeds of a county in NC. I would help if I could!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

So thoughtful of you to offer help.

OP....hope it works out!

Hi All- Thank you all for your help and/or best wishes!

Funny story, it ended up being with her parents who happen to be visiting here (snowbirds) and they keep all "important" documents and papers with them! And even though my friend is over 30...they had it with them!!

Wild wild wild.

Anyway yes, how could this escape both of us? This is actually a batchelorette party with 6 gals and even though I have sent out the ID requirements twice and email reminders several times to check in online...sometimes people just wait till last minute.

To her credit she has a precocious toddler and just found out she is preggers again :D

Anyway all is good and she is money. Thanks everyone!

Hi All- Thank you all for your help and/or best wishes!

Funny story, it ended up being with her parents who happen to be visiting here (snowbirds) and they keep all "important" documents and papers with them! And even though my friend is over 30...they had it with them!!

Wild wild wild.

Anyway yes, how could this escape both of us? This is actually a batchelorette party with 6 gals and even though I have sent out the ID requirements twice and email reminders several times to check in online...sometimes people just wait till last minute.

To her credit she has a precocious toddler and just found out she is preggers again :D

Anyway all is good and she is money. Thanks everyone!

That's the darnedest coincidence I have *ever* heard.

Have a great cruise.

This still begs the question - Will they let her on the ship without a passport? A passport is now required for travel outside the United States and she only has her birth certificate. I hope they make an exception for her. Let us know how it works out.

That's the darnedest coincidence I have *ever* heard.

Have a great cruise.

My thoughts too. I find it amazing that she is over 30 and her parents travel with a certified copy of her birth certificate. Glad it worked out for ya!

:) I know! I just kept thinking about it all night last night... I guess her Dad is not kidding when he says he has ALL thier paperwork with him at all times when traveling. Nutty....but a lifesaver so who is nutty now!?!

What she had that, upon closer (and last minute inspection), was NOT an allowable form of ID was the hospital birth certificate. She didnt realize that it wasn't a certified copy until she was checking in online....which she waited to do until last minute. But whatever that is water under the bridge....or boat:D

Also I can confirm for sure after speaking with RCI and the San Pedro Port authority that a certified birth certificate and photo ID are appropriate documents to travel by sea/cruise. Though they did say that eventually it will change to passport only.

AND for anyone in a similar situation (I HOPE not!) I do have a little information about what TO do if you do not have a certified copy of birth certificate.

I have heard from some people that work for TSA and the like that if you get a faxed copy of tour birth certificate from Vital Statistics in the county you were born in and an affidavit and show up at port you most likely would be allowed on. BUT no guarantees there, it would be a gamble. You can also get an affidavit (from a notary) with your birth certificate fax (or hospital certificate) licence and voter registration card and/or social security card. Basically bring ANYTHING that would suggest you were legit! :)

So if your back is up against the wall and getting the BC in time is not an option, at least you could TRY this....

BUT a WAYYYYY better option is just to have your paperwork ahead of time :D :D :D

Archived