"LIVE" from the Westerdam / 3-09-08

Radio

Not a lobster fan, but on our 3/2 Eastern on the Westerdam the surf and turf (lobster, filet mignon) was served on the 2nd formal night (Friday). I got double turf, hold the surf. Days of the formal night seem to depend on which itinerary you are on.

c-cruise

Not a lobster fan, but on our 3/2 Eastern on the Westerdam the surf and turf (lobster, filet mignon) was served on the 2nd formal night (Friday). I got double turf, hold the surf. Days of the formal night seem to depend on which itinerary you are on.

c-cruise

Which nights were formal on the Eastern/Southern Itinerary? HMC is Monday, Aruba is Wednesday, & Curacao is Thursday. The last two days are sea days.

I have not, as yet cruised on HAL,but after following this post daily, I think I will! Thank you Radio. I followed your LOS live review and we are booked on a May 3rd Western Carribean on LOS. I always love your reviews and check at least 6 times per day to see what's happening. We have been on the Golden Princess, Serenade of the Seas, Island Princess, and Jewel of the Seas. I really want to try HAL. My brother is booked on Noordam for April in the Med. Do you know if the menus are crusie specific or they on all Hal ships?

I have not, as yet cruised on HAL,but after following this post daily, I think I will! Thank you Radio. I followed your LOS live review and we are booked on a May 3rd Western Carribean on LOS. I always love your reviews and check at least 6 times per day to see what's happening. We have been on the Golden Princess, Serenade of the Seas, Island Princess, and Jewel of the Seas. I really want to try HAL. My brother is booked on Noordam for April in the Med. Do you know if the menus are crusie specific or they on all Hal ships?

I think everyone that loves to cruise needs to try HAL and Celebrity because they are both better in many ways with service and food than the mainstream other lines, but they are different and not as "upbeat", but I like that way too.

Radio, it was really wonderful meeting you. I really enjoyed your company as did my husband. As this was my first cruise, I really enjoyed it where my husband... not so much. I just keep thinking if you can do it so can I, so I may just embark on my "solo" cruise soon. I did sign up for the Alaska Cruise in May to be with my Seahawks team and we will again be on the Westerdam. Can't wait. Hope to see you again some day.

Jennifer and Jason.

Radio, it was really wonderful meeting you. I really enjoyed your company as did my husband. As this was my first cruise, I really enjoyed it where my husband... not so much. I just keep thinking if you can do it so can I, so I may just embark on my "solo" cruise soon. I did sign up for the Alaska Cruise in May to be with my Seahawks team and we will again be on the Westerdam. Can't wait. Hope to see you again some day.

Jennifer and Jason.

This is kind of way off the Subject but I'm a Patriots and HAL fan . The Pats are playing in Seattle and if it is an early season game I would love to combine a cruise with a game We also have a friend in Tacoma that has a spare room Radio has got me going

Radio,

Thanks for the great review and insight on your HAL cruise!

DH and I will be taking another cruise in Dec/Jan and are researching now..HAL might be a consideration since it will just be the two of us.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post such wonderful information and being such a help to others! :D

Again..... great thread, Radio! :D

Do you realize that you've probably single-handedly created more bookings for HAL than any other reviewer/poster/cheerleader on Cruise Critic?

You're truly an asset to this forum, as well as for Holland America line! They oughta throw you a free cruise, man! ;)

I really enjoyed it where my husband... not so much.

I'm not meaning to hijack this thread, but I'm just wondering what your DH didn't like about the cruise?

Radio, I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts, your descriptions, and most of all the fabulous photos. I would like to see how you took some of them - hanging off the back deck, over the railing, etc. If you're not a travel editor / photo journalist, you certainly should be! The menus are quite similar to those we've enjoyed on the Rotterdam & Maasdam, which brought back great memories of past cruises. I'm looking forward to your next cruise, I just hope it isn't going to be too far away.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Dear Radio,

Thank you so very much for your FANTASTIC effort on this thread to document your cruise! You did a marvelous job both in photography and in textual commentary! Having been aboard the Westerdam for 14-days, you made me feel like I was back aboard!

Would love to cruise with you at some point, on some such, someday. Well done!

Again..... great thread, Radio! :D

Do you realize that you've probably single-handedly created more bookings for HAL than any other reviewer/poster/cheerleader on Cruise Critic?

You're truly an asset to this forum, as well as for Holland America line! They oughta throw you a free cruise, man!

WoW ! Nannette ! Your check is in the mail :D

Thank you for the nice comments !

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Here is the Welcome Aboard dinner. . .

Radio

;) ;)

Bon Voyage Dinner

Appetizers

Crab Tower with Avocado Salsa Greenhouse Spa Cuisine

The sweet meat of Alaskan crab with diced ripe avocado and fresh tomato, gently combined with olive oil, lime and cilantro.

Steamed Mussels with Curry, Saffron and Lemon Grass

Quick simmered with shallots and garlic. Enriched with white wine and cream and served with fresh French bread.

Fettuccine with Plum Tomato and Basil

Al dente pasta with chopped plum tomato, roasted garlic, shallots and fresh basil

Soups and Salads

Chilled Peach and ginger soup Greenhouse Spa Cuisine

Refreshing blend of peach and ginger with low-fat buttermilk and apple juice.

Island Pepper Pot

Savory beef broth with hearty root vegetables, dumplings and chunks of beef, flavored with ginger and garlic.

Broadway Basil Tomato Soup

Mellow puree of vine ripened plum tomato and basil with a chili flake kick, topped with a crème fraiche crostini.

Baby Spinach with White Mushrooms

With oven-roasted tomato, crisp red onion, crunchy bacon bits, chopped egg and zesty blue cheese crumbles

Entrees

Cobb Salad

Chicken breast, avocado, blue cheese, bacon, tomato, egg and lettuce tossed in our signature vinaigrette.

Mahi Mahi with Roasted Corn Salsa and Plantains

Served grilled alongside orange-infused black bean rice with fresh corn coulis and cilantro, cherry tomatoes and green beans with toasted almonds.

Ginger Grilled Half Chicken with Mango Lime Relish Greenhouse Spa Cuisine

Served with roasted sweet potato and pesto-sauteed zucchini with red bell pepper.

Black pepper Crusted New York Sirloin Steak

Grilled as you like it and served with a full-bodied red wine shallot sauce, golden-grilled yellow and green zucchini, leeks with pearl onions and creamy twice-backed potato.

Grilled Pork Chop with Pineapple Rum Gaze

Presented with broccoli, baby carrots and garlic buttermilk mashed potatoes.

Eggplant Cannelloni Parmigiano Greenhouse Spa Cuisine

Marinara-roasted eggplant rolls filled with creamy pesto ricotta cheese, nestled on a savory mushroom risotto.

Caribbean Fruit Medley

A composition of sweet melon, papaya and pineapple accented with rum and a mint lemon yogurt.

Dear Radio,

Thank you so very much for your FANTASTIC effort on this thread to document your cruise! You did a marvelous job both in photography and in textual commentary! Having been aboard the Westerdam for 14-days, you made me feel like I was back aboard!

Would love to cruise with you at some point, on some such, someday. Well done!

Thank you, Revneal. . .That was very nice of you to say !

I go on about 4-5 cruises per year, so I am sure our paths may cross one day !

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !

Radio

Here is the Welcome Aboard dinner. . .

Radio

;) ;)

Bon Voyage Dinner

Appetizers

Crab Tower with Avocado Salsa Greenhouse Spa Cuisine

The sweet meat of Alaskan crab with diced ripe avocado and fresh tomato, gently combined with olive oil, lime and cilantro.

Steamed Mussels with Curry, Saffron and Lemon Grass

Quick simmered with shallots and garlic. Enriched with white wine and cream and served with fresh French bread.

Fettuccine with Plum Tomato and Basil

Al dente pasta with chopped plum tomato, roasted garlic, shallots and fresh basil

Soups and Salads

Chilled Peach and ginger soup Greenhouse Spa Cuisine

Refreshing blend of peach and ginger with low-fat buttermilk and apple juice.

Island Pepper Pot

Savory beef broth with hearty root vegetables, dumplings and chunks of beef, flavored with ginger and garlic.

Broadway Basil Tomato Soup

Mellow puree of vine ripened plum tomato and basil with a chili flake kick, topped with a crème fraiche crostini.

Baby Spinach with White Mushrooms

With oven-roasted tomato, crisp red onion, crunchy bacon bits, chopped egg and zesty blue cheese crumbles

Entrees

Cobb Salad

Chicken breast, avocado, blue cheese, bacon, tomato, egg and lettuce tossed in our signature vinaigrette.

Mahi Mahi with Roasted Corn Salsa and Plantains

Served grilled alongside orange-infused black bean rice with fresh corn coulis and cilantro, cherry tomatoes and green beans with toasted almonds.

Ginger Grilled Half Chicken with Mango Lime Relish Greenhouse Spa Cuisine

Served with roasted sweet potato and pesto-sauteed zucchini with red bell pepper.

Black pepper Crusted New York Sirloin Steak

Grilled as you like it and served with a full-bodied red wine shallot sauce, golden-grilled yellow and green zucchini, leeks with pearl onions and creamy twice-backed potato.

Grilled Pork Chop with Pineapple Rum Gaze

Presented with broccoli, baby carrots and garlic buttermilk mashed potatoes.

Eggplant Cannelloni Parmigiano Greenhouse Spa Cuisine

Marinara-roasted eggplant rolls filled with creamy pesto ricotta cheese, nestled on a savory mushroom risotto.

Caribbean Fruit Medley

A composition of sweet melon, papaya and pineapple accented with rum and a mint lemon yogurt.

OG!

i'm soo h ungry! and I just ate!

WoW ! Nannette ! Your check is in the mail :D

Thank you for the nice comments !

Radio

The compliments were well deserved. :)

Pass along that check to your daughter/typist. She seems to have earned it with these menus! ;)

Here is the Menu from Friday Night (Lobster Night)

Radio

Friday Menu

Starters

Calypso Shrimp Cocktail

Pump shrimp on a bed of gourmet greens and shredded iceberg lettuce, served with a mustard based Calypso sauce.

Escargots Bourguignonne

Delectable snails marinated twin Pernod and Chablis and lightly baked in an herb garlic butter, with French bread.

Spaghetti Puttanesca

Al dente cooked spaghetti tossed in marinara sauce flavored with anchovies, capers, black olives, garlic and oregano.

Soups and Salads

Spicy Black Bean Sop greenhouse Spa Cuisine

An aromatic puree of vegetable broth, black beans, onion, Anaheim chiles, garlic, mint and oregano, garnished with corn and scallion.

Mexican Tortilla Soup with Mushrooms

Flavorful chicken broth and tomato soup, garnished with diced avocado, watercress, chipotle chile and goat cheese.

Chilled Strawberry Bisque

Sweet, cool and smooth, garnished with a slightly sharp green peppercorn cream.

Garden Harvest Salad

A tangle of frisee, mache, arugula and oak leaf lettuce with a honey pear Brie crostini.

Entrees

The Chef’s Salad Bowl

Romaine lettuce topped with smoked ham, Swiss cheese, oven-roasted turkey and casalingo salami with hard-cooked egg and Thousand Island dressing.

Surf and Turf

Petit Filet Mignon and a lobster tail with herb garlic butter on a pilaf rice surrounded with an array of sautéed vegetables.

Guava Stuffed Chicken

Lemon-Marinated chicken breast stuffed with Guava cram cheese and spinach. Served with carmelized mango, assorted bell peppers and mashed sweet potatoes.

Red Snapper with Sweet Corn/Curry Sauce Green house Spa Cuisine

Served grilled with apricot-studded citrus couscous.

Slow Roasted Rack of Veal

Served with brandy-glazed forest mushrooms, glazed kohirabi, caramelized vegetables and pesto-mashed potatoes.

Curried Vegetable Cutlet

Minced peak-season vegetables flavored with Indian spices, hand molded and sautéed to a golden brown. Served with garbanzo beans in fresh tomato sauce and soy-splashed baby bok choy.

Celebration of Fruit Cocktail greenhouse Spa Cuisine

A selection of seasonal fruits splashed with crème de cassis and served with a tongue-teasing apple foam.

Jennifer and Jason.

You're hooked, Jen! :D

Now if I just could find a good site to post them on so that I could let others view them too. :confused:

Remember this guy, Mark? ;)

Excellent photo of Joel. I have a bunch of him and one really good one of he and I. He was the best I've ever seen on a cruise ship for entertainment, and probably too good for a cruise ship! A good place to upload your photos is kodakgallery.com.

Excellent photo of Joel. I have a bunch of him and one really good one of he and I. He was the best I've ever seen on a cruise ship for entertainment, and probably too good for a cruise ship! A good place to upload your photos is kodakgallery.com.

Thanks for the tip. :)

We were sitting right in the front row for both of Joel's shows and I wasn't really sure if my pictures would turn out clear enough or not with such low light. Was very pleased to see that they did.

Now if I just could find a good site to post them on so that I could let others view them too. :confused:

Remember this guy, Mark? ;)

Yes. . I have lots of photos to post this weekend. . .

He was a great Entertainer. . .

Radio

Thanks for the tip. :)

We were sitting right in the front row for both of Joel's shows and I wasn't really sure if my pictures would turn out clear enough or not with such low light. Was very pleased to see that they did.

Oh you did an awesome job and I can't wait to see more. I was further back! I think yours are going to be way better. Get them posted!! Wasn't he the best and so funny! Did you get his CD?

Archived