Corkage fee on Century

barquitodepapel

I have some questions related to corkage fee:

1. How much is it in Century?

2. How that it compare to the price of a decent (not top) bottle of wine in the same ship?

3. Is it charged for each bottle or only first time? (I ask this because I remember reading a post somewhere that this guy was only charged once for 3 or 4 bottles)

4. If they keep my opened bottle from one night to the next, will they charge only one fee?

Thanks for the help

Jorge

Hi..the corkage fee is 12.00....you can get a nice bottle of wine for 25.00...Pinot Grigio for example (If you like white).

The fee only applies if it is your own bottle...no fee if you are buying it from the ship.

None of our group brought their own...our Sommelier loved us icon_biggrin.gif..we bought 2 bottles every night...excpet for those 2 evenings where we were given 2 bottles icon_smile.gif

Oh...they will always bring the bottle back the next evening and there is never an extra charge for that service. (we never had any leftover though icon_wink.gif). Yes, I know, it sounds like we were 5 winos LOL...

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

We asked our sommelier at the end of the cruise about the corkage fee vs. buying a bottle of wine. He told us he made out better with the corkage fee. I expect it would be different if we were to purchase more expensive bottles of wine.

We're leaving on the Summit April 16th. I've got a case of very nice assorted red wines I've been saving and two bottles of champagne. Pain in the *** to have to drag them with us, but I'm thinking since we've been cellaring these wines in anticipation for our fifth anniversary, I'd rather pay the $12 corkage fee than pay the price for equivalent wine.

One question Lois, or anyone else for that matter ... should I just tote the two bottles of wine we anticipate drinking each night with us to the table each night and then leave them on our table (for two) for the wine stewart to open?

Marie

Summit 4/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;4;16;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Days remaining

Celebrity Mercury 1999

Norweigan Dream 2000

Hi Marieicon_smile.gif..I don't have the correct answer for you, as I have never brought any wine on board with me.

I would think if you are going to drink every night...bring those first 2 bottles with you and talk to the Sommelier. They are always happy to help. See what works best for you as well as him/her. We had a guy but I know the Head Sommelier was a female on the Mercury.

Enjoy your cruiseicon_smile.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

We were on the Mercury last year. We brought our own wine and expected to pay a corkage fee.

Our Party of 6 had 2 bottles each night.The wine steward told us to leave the bottles that we wanted to drink that night, on the desk in our room, and our cabin steward had them delivered to the wine steward for us. It was a great arrangement. And to top it off, we were not charged any corkage fees! Needless to say, our wine steward was tipped quite well.

It wasn't quite that easy on the Horizon. You have to tell your room steward prior to 5PM and the first time you have to give him your dining table number and the wine steward name. Then he will take the wine down at 5 when the dining room opens. I was charged a corkage fee but I got to drink what I wanted. I very much like the Nobilo Sauv Blanc Icon Series with the lobster. It is much nicer than the regular SB which they carry on board.

Until the Zenith

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=4>

<param name="day" value=11>

<param name="hour" value=16>

</applet>

Thanks for your help. We plan to carry some bottles of good wine in our next cruise in August. In the previous cruise (our first) we did not know about this, but the forums help a lot.

It seems that there is also a "corkage fairy" regarding the payment.

Cheers!

Jorge

• 7 months later...

On the Constellation I lugged a very nice cabernet to the onboard premium restaurant [Olympic, I believe]. The corkage fee was $15 per bottle. A small price to pay to enjoy a well cellared 1982 cab! Comparable wines ran ~$180+.

BTW: we dined in the Olympic's Wine Cellar room! I do not care much for the food, but the environment, company and service was outstanding. Hint-take a sweater it gets chilly in that room.

On Mercury last year we simply brought our bottle of wine to the table each night and set it down, and the wine steward came by and picked it up and served it. Simple as that. I saw lots of people doing the same thing, so it doesn't look strange to walk through the ship to dinner carrying a bottle of wine. Corkage Fairy didn't happen to bless us on that trip - we got charged for each bottle. No big deal, though -- given the price we originally paid for some of these wines we've been cellaring for years, well, you just can't buy anything comparable on the ship without paying exhorbitant prices (if you can find it at all!). So it's totally worth it.

LeeAnne

Last year I checked prices and ratings of the wines on Summit's list. On average, the "hassle" of lugging my own wine on board wasn't justified by the savings. However, some listed wines were so marked up in price that one could buy them at home, pay the corkage fee and still be significantly ahead. Additionally, if you are very particular about wines, it may be worthwhile to bring a few bottles of wine you trust aboard. Wines on board will be uneven in quality almost regardless of price.

I plan to bring 6 or so bottles with us. We'll probably have a couple to drink in the cabin and take the other four to dinner. We'll end up buying a couple more bottles and a few glasses of wine when the two of us want different ones.

Has anyone tried the $21 cabernet that comes in the engraved bottle? It's on the bon voyage gift page of Celebrity's website here.

Archived