Treating Noro, or..."Being Prepared"

ltsally

Is there such a thing? (Tried to post a similar topic earlier and I don't think it took -apologies if I'm doubling-up here).

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone packs OTC things from their home medicine chests to help in the event of Noro? Or is it just one of those things that has to be endured (or treated by ship doc)?

Thanks!

We brought Immodium, Pepto Bismol, Tylenol, all the usual things on our recent cruise. Luckily didn't have to use any of them...but we had them, "just in case." Someone mentioned gastrolytes, but when I went to CVS looking for them, they looked at me as though I had 7 head! :eek:

If you become ill aboard with Noro like virus, you really should go to the Infirmary for treatment IMO

As a matter of fact, you don't even have to go to the infirmary, they'll come to you! I agree with Sail.

Having done the "Noro Dance," about the only thing in the begining would be to use antacids. I will spare you the details but all the comming attractions will be your system trying to clean itself out. I doubt you will be able to keep anything down so tylenol won't do much.

Mine lasted about 12 hours (the worst part) and included a visit to the ships Dr. who will have better meds than you will have. The concern is dehydration so see the Doc.

I recovered and am happy to say I didn't gain any weight that trip. :)

As a matter of fact, you don't even have to go to the infirmary, they'll come to you! I agree with Sail.

The ship's medical staff see Norovirus all the time (unfortunately) and it's just routine for them. Also, there are other intestinal infections that have similar symptoms and the doctor should be looking for a differential diagnosis, since the treatment might differ a bit.

Not everyone has sense enough to put themselves in lock down!! :( Unfortunately, there are those who care not about anyone but themselves and have no compunction about running all over the ship infecting anyone/everyone else. We all have seen 'the type'.

Yes.......Noro should be treated IMO to avoid possible dehydration. It also should be determined that is actually what you have.

We brought Immodium, Pepto Bismol, Tylenol, all the usual things on our recent cruise. Luckily didn't have to use any of them...but we had them, "just in case." Someone mentioned gastrolytes, but when I went to CVS looking for them, they looked at me as though I had 7 head! :eek:

It's Pediolytes;) . Used mostly for babies who have diarreah(sp?). It has lot's of electrolytes to get the bodies chemistry back into shape. Good Luck!:rolleyes: Can be purchased at WalGreens, CVS or RiteAid Pharmacies!

• 1 month later...

For everyone concerned about what to do about viral infections such as the Norovirus, check out the herbal product called Blockade. It stops viruses from replicating. Just google Blockade and you'll find lots of info. I think it's a great thing to have on hand at home or when travelling.

There are packets of powdered gatorade available that can be added to a water bottle to produce the correct isotonic solution. I also agree with Sail -- dehydration is nothing to play with -- go to see the doctor and get the proper treatment --- and above all, stay in your cabin and do not spread it around!

I know people who were quarantined to their cabins because the husband had it. The wife and son (2 yrs old) were given a separate cabin because they did not have it but remained quarantined just in case. Food delivered by staff with those "hazmat" type suits. I went on a different cruise line and there was an outbreak onboard on the previous sailing. We still went on the cruise. I brought Lysol not knowing Noro was onboard. Boy was I glad I had it. The staff did an excellent job cleaning and taking whatever measures deemed necessary!

When I told my doctor that I was going on a cruise ( last Cruise)

He ask me if I would like some Med. to take along. He said that if I get the noro virus it would knock it out of me. I was fine never got it. I will be getting some med. for my next cruise this fall. Just incase !!!!. You know the old saying " Better to be safe then sorry":D

Does noro even need treatment? I thought all that "Call the Dr. its free!" talk was just a way to decide who needs to be put in lock-down.

As others have said, dehydration is a concern. My nephew had noro, or a good imitation, and landed in the hospital for a few days due to dehydration.

There's other medical conditions that should be evaluated, too. I would expect a diabetic would need to take particular care.

I am sorry but,

I donot remember the name. It was 700 Miligrams A antibiloic ( Poor Speller ).My doc said that it would knock out the noro virus within 24 hours.

Unfortunately your doctor was being unrealistic. Antibiotics have no effect on viral infections - whether it's flu, colds, or norovirus. The CDC states:

"No specific therapy exists for norovirus gastroenteritis. Symptomatic therapy consists of replacing fluid losses and correcting electrolyte disturbances through oral and intravenous fluid administration."

And the mean illness duration is 12-60 hours - generally around 24-30, so his prediction would appear accurate whether the drugs helped or not.

For everyone concerned about what to do about viral infections such as the Norovirus, check out the herbal product called Blockade. It stops viruses from replicating. Just google Blockade and you'll find lots of info. I think it's a great thing to have on hand at home or when travelling.

Ah, the company making Blockade has cured the flu, colds, norovirus, HIV, etc. Why isn't every doctor in America ... no, in the world ... prescribing it? Human viral disease has been conquered!! Every human will now live to be 150 years old!

Of course, at the bottom of the claims for Blockade is the statement:

Statements in this brochure have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, but are dietary supplements intended solely for nutritional use.

I checked several of the Google references to Blockade. The total of the "scientific" evidence that the product does anything at all is the unverified statement by the manufacturer that the product somehow wraps the virus in a protective shield so that it can not get into a cell.

In addition, the ads refer to several unpublished, unreported, and unrefereed studies as follows:

"

Q: Is the research on BLOCKADE published?

A: Not yet. Study findings have been summarized and these scientific overviews have been submitted to several major professional journals and are undergoing the customary "peer review" process prior to publication.

Q: Have human clinical trials being conducted on BLOCKADE?

A: A human pharmacokinetic trial examining the bioavailablity of the bioactives in BLOCKADE has been conducted. Additionally, a human clinical trial examining BLOCKADE's efficacy is being conducted by a major medical institution in Asia.

In other words, the product is herbal BS. On the plus side, it probably does not hurt you so if you think that it is making you feel better, go ahead an use it. That is called the placebo effect.

DON

In other words, the product is herbal BS. On the plus side, it probably does not hurt you so if you think that it is making you feel better, go ahead an use it. That is called the placebo effect.

DON

And for those folks who have been taking Airborne, you can get your refund from the $23.3 million false advertising settlement at the link in this site:

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200803032.html

Maybe Blockade will settle a false claims class action suit in the future.

We'd definitely seek medical attention if we thought we had Noro, and we also follow the scout's motto to "be prepared"...

We generally travel with what I call a "pharmacy in a bag". Imodium, Meclizine, etc., plus Cipro and Amoxicillin, cough drops, tummy tablets, and on and on.

Hand sanitizer is a must (small bottles for my purse as well as my take-ashore purse), and we bring antibacterial wipes which work on hands, caps of water bottles and surfaces.

Another new thing we like is Crystal Light's "Hydration" powders to add to bottled water. They add electrolytes without excess calories and carbs. They've proven effective when we were in the heat and humidity of the Panama Canal.

Hopefully, all this excess baggage will never be needed ... I remember in my youth I never even considered bringing items like this. Times (and bodies) have changed.....lol

Carol in SC

I am sorry but,

I donot remember the name. It was 700 Miligrams A antibiloic ( Poor Speller ).My doc said that it would knock out the noro virus within 24 hours.

For most people, Noro Virus is over the worst within 24 hours with no treatment.

Archived