People,

A lot of you are simply over reacting here. The duvet cover is

made out of sheeting material so it's exactly as if you have a pillow

which is enclosed within a pillow case.

I always use the duvet, never ask for the top sheet AND use the

"dirty" bedspread since I like the weight of it on my bed and

have never gotten sick.

I do, however, like the idea for the bagged remote control.:D

If the duvet cover is not changed the its like having a dirty pillowcase because thats what a duvet cover is a pillowcase for the duvet please if not changed then im not overreactng by asking for a top sheet to at least have some protection from last passengers germs

If the duvet cover is not changed the its like having a dirty pillowcase because thats what a duvet cover is a pillowcase for the duvet please if not changed then im not overreactng by asking for a top sheet to at least have some protection from last passengers germs

Just because one person had an issue with their duvet cover does

not make it necessarily so that 3,000 passengers per ship

will have issues with THEIR duvet covers.

All I meant by the term overreaction is this is how rumors get

started and then the rumors start festering and people tend to get

carried away with their germ phobia ;)

Definitely ask for a top sheet; I agree that that's a good idea,

but with this analogy of a "dirty" pillowcase that implies that

all the pillowcases are dirty. Does this mean you all will bring your own pillows and duvet comforters because you're so freaked out against

the supposed contagions?

Hmm, we can now bring our power strips and bedsheet sets.

How about drinking glasses too?

This board can be a wealth of info, but IMHO, this is just a bit too much:eek:

all the pillowcases are dirty. Does this mean you all will bring your own pillows and duvet comforters because you're so freaked out against

the supposed contagions?

4cats, I totally agree with you. So far we have heard of this happening to ONE passenger................just one. But a rumor like this causes needless panic.

I don't plan on bringing my own sheets, towels, or anything like that. One look at the duvet and you can tell if it has a fresh cover on it..........if anyone is worried.

hi

i will be happy if theres a clean duvet cover on my duvet, i certainly wont be asking for a sheet to be added to that as i would be fighting all night with a topsheet and a duvet on top of me , the point of a duvet cover is to do away with sheets, the quality of the duvet covers are really high on ships and made of linen or cotton which are fabrics that deter the breeding of germs,

so i also have to agree with all that 4cats and toto have said

4cats, I totally agree with you. So far we have heard of this happening to ONE passenger................just one. But a rumor like this causes needless panic.

I don't plan on bringing my own sheets, towels, or anything like that. One look at the duvet and you can tell if it has a fresh cover on it..........if anyone is worried.

I agree about rumors starting and needless panic. Me personally just the thought...yuk. I will ask for a top sheet...plus half the time I don't even want the duvet on...too hot...must be my age :p as my husband always complains that it's too cold in the room. Everyone is different...do what pleases you~

Just because one person had an issue with their duvet cover doesnot make it necessarily so that 3,000 passengers per ship will have issues with THEIR duvet covers....

Definitely ask for a top sheet; I agree that that's a good idea,but with this analogy of a "dirty" pillowcase that implies that all the pillowcases are dirty.

It was just a simple question that seems to have been turned into something else.:eek:

This thread's purpose was not to start rumors, a germ phobia, or imply that 3,000 passengers per ship would have a problem but rather to inquire if others had similar experiences with duvet covers. I will say that even one incident is one to many and it is good to know others have not been told that they are not changed between cruises.

We had always assumed and felt ours had been freshly laundered never feeling that a top sheet was needed because it was fresh. We were surprised to read that a room steward had told someone that it had not been. It was interesting to hear that someone else had theirs changed for their last night onboard - that does make one wonder. It is possible to sleep under one and have it still look fresh and clean.

I did not interpret the post that way but rather a description that a duvet cover is like a pillowcase and if it is not changed it would be like not changing a pillowcase.

Getting rid of those filthy blankets was a major step forward and the duvets were much welcomed. If they would only put spreads on that are laundered between cruises that would be perfect. Even if they are removed after one boards unless the bedding is changed they have still come in contact with the bedding.

Thank you all for posting your experiences. The duvets are very warm and I kick mine off most of the night but will request a top sheet in the future now that I know they are available.

Just curious- Do you that request a top sheet also do so in hotels where duvets are used the same way?

the supposed contagions?

All im trying to say is i know that the pillowcases are freshly washed i now know that duvets are not treated the same so get a top sheet or sleep without thats your choice i prefer clean pillowcases and a clean top sheet i put up with a unchanged duvet cover with a top sheet thats it.

It's kind of funny but I started asking for a top sheet not for cleanliness but because the duvet is much too hot. Living in Massachusetts I sleep in a house with a thermostat set at 55 all winter. When I get on a ship going to the Caribbean I can't sleep under anything heavier than a sheet. I enjoy the warmth and sunshine during the day but I have to be cool when I sleep. I would be melting under a duvet!

In fact, on the shelf in the closet the final night, we have always seen the new sheets and fresh duvet cover there for the room steward to change the bed after we vacate the cabin the next morning.

My guess, this was an isolated incident. Sorry to hear about it.

I saw the exact same thing on my final night....

Does anyone know if the Caribbean Princess uses duvets?

Look people, what I have been trying to say is that I already assume when I sleep in a bed in a hotel or cruise ship that the blankets and duvet covers are going to be unchanged. So all I would like from these establishments is a clean top sheet and pillow cases between me and everybody else before me and those that come after me. For all of you who believe that the cabin steward can change 17 duvet covers and sheets and clean up the cabin I have some moose pasture fore sale. I din't want to say this put as I was leaving the cabin in the morning I saw the room steward cleaning and changing the bed and no where did I see them changing duvet covers.

When you board the ship and meet your room steward, ask him/her to please change the duvet cover when he/she comes to turn down the bed for the night. Also ask for a sheet. Problem solved. BTW, I did a btb (20 days) on the Tahitian Princess last year. I asked my room steward if the duvet cover was changed and it had been. It was not wrinkled and smelled fresh. I also asked that it be changed every five days and also asked for a fresh robe at the same time. It was all done for me without any hesitation.

We have always had sheets (both top and bottom) and duvet covers on all our Princess Cruises the last one ended December 22. They were always freshly laundered, and changed regularly. Is someone saying they have changed their policy since then.

Also every hotel that I have ever been in that has used duvets, there have always been sheets (top and bottom) on the beds. However it is also the practice in some European countries to use just a Duvet.

SewLady, Never have I had a top sheet already on the bed on Princess since the new duvets came out. We always have had to request the top sheet be added as the duvet is too hot for us both.

Somehow you must have gotten lucky, as it isn't standard practice for them to put them on without the request.

We just returned from the Caribbean Princess March 2nd sailing and when We walked into our cabin, I immediately checked the bedding. There was no top sheet between the duvet and bottom sheet. The duvet cover matches the sheet on the bed but it didn't look or smell that fresh to us. I requested a sheet to be put under the duvet so duvet would not touch us. Our room steward was not too happy. He questioned why I wanted this sheet on the bed and I spelled it out for him. I asked him if duvet and duvet cover were just washed and He said "No". So as a precaution, We take no chances and get the extra sheet put on the bed under the duvet. Like previous comment made, it would be like sleeping on a bed that somebody just got up from. On HAL and Carnival never had this problem. On last night of cruise there were no clean duvets in our closet. IKE

It's kind of funny but I started asking for a top sheet not for cleanliness but because the duvet is much too hot. Living in Massachusetts I sleep in a house with a thermostat set at 55 all winter. When I get on a ship going to the Caribbean I can't sleep under anything heavier than a sheet. I enjoy the warmth and sunshine during the day but I have to be cool when I sleep. I would be melting under a duvet!

I agree with you. Coming from cold a climate where we don't have any heat at all in our bedroom at night, I would also melt with a duvet. (The dog sleeps right beside the baseboard heater so even if I wanted to turn it on I couldn't). One of my "things" though is sleeping in other peoples sheets.....just can't do it, so I will also be asking for a top sheet.

Thanks for posting this.:)

Ok, we just returned from the Golden and I was wondering where my sheet was. My husband was trying to tell me this was the latest and greatest and what all the Asian hotels do now. It still bothered me that there was no topsheet - and I didn't inspect the duvet. Now I see that I should have and am a little grossed out. Live and learn.

I have never had a problem when asking the cabin steward for an "extra" sheet both under and over the duvet and have the bedspread removed for the duration of our cruise. I ask for extra wooden hangers as well. I make these requests as soon as the cabin steward introduces himself, which is usually shortly after we arrive on board. The beds are made up per our request, while we are at dinner.

I don't assume any thing any more-i lysol every hard surface-purell the rest-send the cover away with the steward and then politely ask him to change all bedding because of ongoing allergies[it's true].:)

MF: Dear Lulubell, I just learned a new trick about the baggie and remote, I'm going to remember that one and of course I agree with you about all the rest!

I also bring an extra set of pillow cases so that I put my own cases over their cases...just like a sheet over the duvet cover, same idea and equally important because my FACE is there breathing it all in!

Can you request a top sheet for your bed on the Princess web site? It would be nice to have it fixed already. I hate to have to hunt down the steward for this request.

On our last cruise, for the first time I wrote down our few requests (extra sheet, extra Patter each day, no bedspreads, extra towels) with our names and cabin number and handed it to our cabin steward when we first met him (I put his name on the note...it's on a placard on the vanity in the room). I worried a bit that it might seem impersonal or demanding. Instead, our cabin steward went out of his way to thank me for writing it down, and said that it made his job so much easier. By the time we went back to our cabin the first night, everything was exactly as we requested.

I'd like to also add that on the last 4 cruises before disembarking,

a fresh duvet was delivered to the room [sealed in plastic] along with

duvet cover which I can only assume meant that the duvet as well

as the cover would be changed.

There is and has never been anything wrong with our duvet or the

duvets of any of those we've traveled with. I'm sure we would have

heard about it if there had been.

Also, I pulled the duvet cover off the first time Princess went to the

duvet covers because I'm allergic to feathers and so I pulled off

the entire cover to check the tag, and never did the duvet smell unfresh.

Funny that this came up....On our last cruise the cabin steward changed the duvet cover the last full day of the cruise. I thought it was odd that he would do this as we would only be sleeping on it one night.......I wonder. YUKKY!!!!!

We always make it clear to the room steward that we will be using items in the cabin until the last day, otherwise some will try to get a jump start in turning the cabin around for the next cruise. :eek:

I guess I am really niave about some things. I just assumed the duvets were changed everytime new passengers come on board. I also agree they are very heavy. If you kick them off you might freeze, but with them on the bed gets really hot even with the air on full blast.

Nita

Archived