All Things Freedom of the Seas!

They always have before... haven't been denied yet. Sometimes they'll say "they have to check due to wind or rough seas" but they've always been opened up before the end of the first day.

You all will definitely enjoy the added balcony space!:)

balcony-freedom.jpg

Thanks Fred, we're hoping for the best. Of course, we have a few months to go. I ask because I read somewhere in this thread they would no longer open due to security. It was back in October that it was posted. Our only other experience with RCL on Mariner in '04 resulted in the same, they wouldn't allow open. Keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks Fred, we're hoping for the best. Of course, we have a few months to go. I ask because I read somewhere in this thread they would no longer open due to security. It was back in October that it was posted. Our only other experience with RCL on Mariner in '04 resulted in the same, they wouldn't allow open. Keep our fingers crossed.
Ah, I didn't know about that. I hope they allow them opened for you all, we've had them opened for us on Mariner too and it's never been a problem. Maybe it's luck of the draw.

I've scanned in a full set of Freedom Compass newsletters from our 1/10/10 cruise (Western itinerary). The direct link is www.mycruiseadventures.com/freedomcompass.html.

Thanks so much for the Compass's..I see you just got off the Freedom recently. How was the new CD? How was the weather? I am hoping it was warm:) I sail her three weeks from today!

Edited by TxStacey

Dont know if anyone has posted this or not, but the Samantha Brown Great Cruises episode on Freedom of the Seas will be on the Travel Channel this Friday (2/5) at 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. I saw it a few years ago and told my husband then that I wanted to go on that ship. And now we are.

Thanks for the heads up! I am sailing on the FOTS this September and I am so looking forward to it! It will be my first week-long cruise with Royal (all of the others have been weekenders) - so that only adds to the excitement. I'll be sure to set my DVR..thanks again!

Thanks so much for the Compass's..I see you just got off the Freedom recently. How was the new CD? How was the weather? I am hoping it was warm I sail her three weeks from today!

I have no idea how new the CD was, but he was certainly excellent. Funny, unpredictable, multi-talented. He definitely got the crowd pumped up! I believe his name was Allen?

Weather wasn't so good for us. Cold and rainy when we boarded, about freezing. Stayed rainy off and on for the entire trip, and so windy returning from Cozumel that they closed upper deck doors. Still, excellent cruise.

The web site also has a full review and pix, as well as menus.

The CD was Allan Brooks, but I've read he is off starting in Feb. He was competent, but not very visible around the ship. I like it when the CD shows up at the M & M, which he didn't. I've only seen the now departed Eric Dowis, and Mike Swarsokowski show up to one.

We will be sailing in 4 weeks! A few questions about FOS. Thank you very much in advance!

1. Around what time we can access our stateroom?

2. Do I need to pre-register my kids to the Kids Club?

3. I have booked GS. Will Ice-show tickets be delivered to us, or it is upon request?

4. What time did concierge club serve breakfast until?

5. If I order room service, should I tip the crew member in cash? How much in general should I pay?

6. Disbarkation - can I pick what time I want to leave? My flight (domestic) leaves at 12:55pm. I wanted to hire a limo/taxi to meet me between 9:30-10am.

7. Grateful if you guys can give me some hint, regarding special previllages for Suites Guest. I guess this will be our only time doing suites :P

8. I guess everything is Free onboard, except the specialty restaurants?

Edited by angelkk

I can only answer a few of these...

1) Usually 1 PM. But if you're in a suite, maybe earlier...

2) Didn't see a way to preregister online, but ours was 13. We went up to their area after boarding, then she went back by herself later that evening. Maybe different for younger kids. Check your paperwork in your cabin after boarding.

5) Yes, we tip cash, $1 or 2 depending on tray load...if you're in a suite, then maybe you have a butler? If so, his tip comes from regular tipping rules and bringing room service should be something he does.

8) Cokes, of course, cost extra. They sell fresh-squeezed OJ in the Windjammer. Specialty coffees cost extra, and of course the alcoholic drinks. Ben & Jerry's is extra, as are the milkshakes in Johnny Rockets.

If the kids are old enough to climb, ice skate, or flow ride, you can get that paperwork done and get them wrist bands. And you too...

Hello! Just booked an April cruise on Freedom and have some questions, if you don't mind. I have read this thread in its entirety and there was lots of great info!

- I have a small, soft-sided rolling cooler that I bring on other cruise lines filled with bottled water. Can I bring that on the Freedom?

- We're in cabin 7612. Anyone stay there previously? It doesn't say it has an obstructed view so I am hoping it's a regular balcony cabin.

- Average drink cost? DH likes bottled beer and I like martinis. Also, which bar is the best to relax in prior to dinner? We are late seating and like to have a drink before we go in. It doesn't need to be nearby but we would prefer it not be a location that's a madhouse.

- How early are we going to need to get up to get a spot by the adult pool? We're sun people and don't mind getting up but I hate fighting for chairs. We like to get there early and be parked for the day (and no, we don't leave our stuff and go elsewhere - we're either in the pool or on the chairs).

- Any special deals we should look for on the first day? We're not soda drinkers and I hope to bring our own water. Is there a beer package? LOL!

- What is the scoop on outlets in the staterooms? Am assuming they are in the desk area and not in the bathroom. I usually bring a power strip for all the camera chargers and stuff like that.

- Any photos of the closet/storage area/bathrooms? Would like to get an idea of how much space we have. When we sailed on Princess last year, we loved their setup and had plenty of room for luggage that was out of the way (I am one of those people who brings lots of luggage on vacation). :D

- How is the shopping? Standard shops or anything special? Any good deals?

- If we wanted to request a table for two for our late seating, do you know how we would do that?

Thanks in advance - I am sure there will be more questions as it gets closer. :)

Thanks danacline.

Just read that luggage valet is only offered to suite guests but need to be U.S. citizens. We are Canadians. Wondering if I can still print boarding pass on FOS without bring my laptop.

Can someone please confirm this - on departure date - Suite Guest will NOT assign a color-tag, but they have to meet within a timeframe (8-8:30am) in the departure lounge for priority departure? Does it mean that is the only time I can leave the ship?

My flight is at 12:55pm and I wish to leave around 9am if possible. Booked a towncar and asked the driver to meet me at 9:30am.

I can't answer all of them but I'll do what I can...

- I have a small, soft-sided rolling cooler that I bring on other cruise lines filled with bottled water. Can I bring that on the Freedom? Yes, just put a luggage tag on it.

- Average drink cost? DH likes bottled beer and I like martinis. Also, which bar is the best to relax in prior to dinner? We are late seating and like to have a drink before we go in. It doesn't need to be nearby but we would prefer it not be a location that's a madhouse. I paid $6.50 for a house margarita. Other drinks were same or close. Dining is on decks 3, 4, 5. There's a bar close on 4 that might work, or the pub on 5 on the Promenade.

- Any special deals we should look for on the first day? We're not soda drinkers and I hope to bring our own water. Is there a beer package? LOL! There may be spa deals, and I seem to remember a sale of stuff on the Promenade once you leave port. Find out about tickets to the ice show - I think you have to get them the first at-sea day around 9 AM. Well worth the hassle...

- What is the scoop on outlets in the staterooms? Am assuming they are in the desk area and not in the bathroom. I usually bring a power strip for all the camera chargers and stuff like that. There were two US outlets at the desk, and 1 or 2 European outlets. I think there was one in the bathroom for shavers. I also took a power strip.

- Any photos of the closet/storage area/bathrooms? Would like to get an idea of how much space we have. When we sailed on Princess last year, we loved their setup and had plenty of room for luggage that was out of the way (I am one of those people who brings lots of luggage on vacation). Luggage can slide under the bed. Closet space was adequate for 2, would be cramped if more.

- How is the shopping? Standard shops or anything special? Any good deals? Occasionally some good deals on alcohol. Citizen Eco Drive watches at 40% off MSRP. Occasional sales on tourist stuff.

- If we wanted to request a table for two for our late seating, do you know how we would do that? When you board, your Sea Pass card will tell which dining room and table, so go take a look. There should be some folks there (i.e. headwaiter) - tell them you want to look at your table, act disappointed if it's not a table for 2 and ask how you can change it.

You can request a colored tag from your steward (or butler) Once your tag is called, you can depart whenever you want. They want everyone off by 9:30. You can take your rolling soft side with you if you want or check it. It seemed like every night there were tables set up in the Promenade to sell stuff, plus the shops. At the end of the trip they had tables up by the poor where I got my daughter a sweatshirt 1/2 off.

We are sailing on Freedom 4/25 Eastern and have heard there are new menus fleet wide. I have seen a post of an 8 night cruise, but there haven't been any posts showing what a 7 night cruise is.

Does anyone have the new menus? Does anyone know the formal nights? I have seen that the 2nd night is the first formal, but the 2nd night has been either Thurs or more likely Friday night. We want to make reservations for Portofino, but need to see the menu to know which night to book.

I also understand there is a new Portofino menu but I haven't seen it. Does anyone have a copy of it?

If you have either, if you don't have it on a website, I will send my email addr. Thanks so much.

• 1 month later...

I appreciate all the help we had from the Cruise Critic Boards in planning our trip and want to help others. I have put together what I hope is the Holy Grail for the Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean itinerary.

It includes photos, menu's, Compasses, excursion info and more.

You can visit the links at www.robinsons1874.com/cruise

If you have anything I am missing, please send it to me so I can add it.

Steve

I appreciate all the help we had from the Cruise Critic Boards in planning our trip and want to help others. I have put together what I hope is the Holy Grail for the Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean itinerary.

Steve

Thanks for the link.....it's great.

Steve

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this on, a real wealth of information and has made me even more excited :)

Marcella

Steve

Thanks for that website. Excellent info, and very well organized!!

A group of 4 of us(all age 25) will be sailing on the Freedom of the Seas on 5/16/10 Western Caribbean., and I have many questions as I have only been on 1 cruise before and that was with carnival.

We have a JS aft booked-when we cruised on the Carnival Sensation there was a seperate line for people who were in suites to get checked in and board faster than the people who booked lower catagories, Does RCI do this?

How many electrical outlets are in the room, and are power strips allowed?

Are you allowed to bring your own non-alcoholic beverages onboard?

Just how great is it to have an aft balcony? and how much larger is it than a reg. js balcony?

Is it better to bring an alarm clock or have wake up calls?

Are reservations a must for my time dining, or can you just show up?

When is the 1st formal night usually?

I know the salon does hair, but do they do makeup onboard?

Are gratuities included in the cover charge for portofinos and chops?

How late are sorrentos and the promenade cafe open?

Is the solarium always open? Do the pools and hot tubs close?

What is Quest?

How is the nightlife?

What's your favorite bar/lounge and why?

I read about a coupon book and a bogo DOD, do you have to go to a seminar or can you just buy them, and how much are they?

In Ocho Rios we are planning to do Dunn's River Falls by ourselves not with the cruise line. However we are doing the chukka dune buggy excursion with RCI at 11:30am. if we do the falls before hand at 9am will we have enough time? How long does it take to climb the falls usually? has anyone ever done the dune buggy tour how was it, any pics?

In cozumel we have no excursions planned, however we were thinking of trying snuba, has anyone done this, opinons and pics?

What port has the best shopping and how do you barter I always feel bad asking for a lower price any tips?

If anyone has any opinions or tips especially for things i missed please add. We really know nothing about RCI besides we are excited to cruise with them lol!! So we need all the advice we can get. Also anyone who has pictures of the trip on the freedom I'd love to see them or port pictures too.sorrry this was sooo long.

P.s. I know that with 4 adults in a JS we wont have any privacy and thers only 1 bathroom. That doesn't bother us, none of us are doing anything that the others would mind (except maybe snoring):D We just wanted enough room to move, which is why we chose this over a D1.