Statue of liberty - must see

You will not pass the Statue of Liberty sailing from Bayonne. You will definately be able to see it though. It will be off on the port side and you can get a good view of it.

You will pass by it sailing from Manhattan or Brooklyn.

I live near Bayonne and drive past it often. I can tell you for a fact from Bayonne, the Statue will be seen from at least 1 side of the ship. Also, if you get to the port a day early and you really want to see the statue, there are some great tours I've taken of Ellis Island and then they bring you to the base of the Statue of Liberty. It's incredible!

As you leave the 'harbor area' in Bayonne please check out the starboard side of the ship. The last piece of close land is a beautiful memorial dedicated to 9/11 presented by the Russians. It is very beautiful. It is a shining teardrop set between the split towers. Very poignant.

If we have 2 full days In NY and have never been there before what should one see other than the Statue of Liberty? We thought of a live broadway show? Times square?

I live near Bayonne and drive past it often. I can tell you for a fact from Bayonne, the Statue will be seen from at least 1 side of the ship. Also, if you get to the port a day early and you really want to see the statue, there are some great tours I've taken of Ellis Island and then they bring you to the base of the Statue of Liberty. It's incredible!

Griswalds

You will see it one way or the other. If you leave from Manhattan, you have to be on the Starboard side as the ship sails by this must see, although the Manhattan skyline on the Port side is hard to resist. As others have said you need to be on the Port side when sailing out of Bayonne. You are further down the Hudson River. You will actually have a good view of Lady Liberty and Lower Manhattan as you head toward the Verazanno Bridge, which is also a great sight. Good Sailing, Murf.

If we have 2 full days In NY and have never been there before what should one see other than the Statue of Liberty? We thought of a live broadway show? Times square?

Griswalds

Living near the city, I'd definitley reccomend touring the statue of liberty, seeing a broadway show, & visiting museums (Metropoliatan Museum of Art, Museum of Natural History), unfortunately, there is no possible way to really see all of New York in 2 days. Living for 13 years just 15 minutes from the city, I still feel I've just scratched the surface of all there is to do. However, I really think with 2 days the above reccomendations will really give you a taste for the best city on earth!

If we have 2 full days In NY and have never been there before what should one see other than the Statue of Liberty? We thought of a live broadway show? Times square?Griswalds

Seeing a "live Broadway show" can be tough if you're going without tickets in hand. The popular shows sell out way in advance. Not easy to get. I have to go to my "connections" if i want to get in or help a friend see one.

FYI- The Statue of Liberty has changed greatly after 911, call them and get an update on what you will be able to do, i THINK the policy is still that you cannot go inside her, only up to the pedestal. Now, I'll give you MY suggestion.... NYC will eat you up alive if you just plop in there. or, if you try to do too much. Just have a plan, pick out a few things to do/see and just stick to it, otherwise, you will spend a lot of time wandering , thinking, and trying to get places. Taxi is the best way, in my opinion to get around but yes, you can spend10-20 dollars going from Grand Central Station to Lower Manhattan (depending on traffic).

Times Square is A MUST see, The Museum of Natural History....is awesome.

Remember, NYC is best on weekends (the opposite of what you might think), because every one goes home! Are you driving in and about? i hope not!, thats a nightmare. Just try going down to Battery park and getting a parking place! HAHA. Here are some suggestions for places to go- Battery Park (Great place to see Lady Liberty and its where you go to get the ferry to her. ask questions there about the trip before you decide to go.

In lower Manhattan, you have Little Italy/China town are within walking distance from here, though some may disagree, depends on mow much you walk. Stop by Ferraro's on Mulberry street (not Grand) and have some espresso and some of the best Italian Pastry.

Jump across Canal street and up a couple , to Mott Street (Chinatown), go downstairs at Wo-Hop, i like it there, the modern trendy places just dont give you the feel of real Chinatown.

Definitely go to the South street seaport (if they havent started demolition on it yet- sad to see it go). GREAT place to see the Brooklyn bridge...the best. Maybe have lunch at Harbor lights. you can eat with a great view of the bridge.

Walk up Fulton street to the 911 sight from here. Get a map and see where this all is (its all sort of close together) and plan your route/order. If you can do all of this, you have had a full day!

...Just some quick thoughts... shoot'in from the hip!

The city is most definately crowded on weekends in the spring and summer (and all major holidays) Truw, the commuters are not there but the tourists are in full swing. Get show tickets, go to dinner. That is always fun. Go to the museums near the park...MMA, Natural History are the most popular. If you are driving in, park on 44th street, between 5th and 6th at the Hippodrome. It is $16.00 on weekends, all day. I go in once a month on a Saturday and park there. It is very convienent. A little far from the upper east/West side but walkable if a nice day. Parking in the village, south street area is a nightmare. You could always go into Jersey and go to Ellis Island and get the ferry for the statue there. There is so much to do in NYC...have fun.

One of the best trips within NYC and even for free (at least I hope it´s still free) is the ride on the Staten Island Ferry. It gives you great views from Manhattan and Statue of Liberty.

Another great thing is walking the Brookling bridge.

Though I haven´t done this for over 20 years I enjoyed cruising around Manhattan on the Circle Line as well.

Just to throw in a couple more ideas.

Go to TKTS and score some cheap tickets unless there's a show you really want to see. Then you can also knock out Times Square (TKTS is in Times Square). Which, like Piccadilly Circus in London, is just a big intersection.

Though I haven´t done this for over 20 years I enjoyed cruising around Manhattan on the Circle Line as well.

These days, it's more fun to do it on the BEAST!

There's NOTHING like sailing past Lady Liberty.

349977416iREUhE_th.jpg

click to enlarge

Does anyone know if RCCL's airport transfer includes a tour with the Statue of Liberty? We are on the Explorer next year, and want to see the Statue. One option is our overnight pre-cruise, and the other is a transfer tour. Thanks!

Absolutely do the Staten Island Ferry. I recommend it to everyone (even those that live here). Great views of the SOL and if you time it right the sun goes down behind her. turn around and take the ferry back and you have the manhattan skyline at night.

It don't get any better than that and its FREE!

Archived