Random Search

Springbreak08

Does anyone know how you can tell if the airline ticket you are holding is one that will be pulled for a more extensive search than your normal "empty everything in your pockets and walk through the detector?" I while back I heard there is something on the ticket that tells the people at the airport that you have been randomly chosen. I've also heard that if you are printing your ticket at home and you get one indicating (by a special code or number) that you will be pulled, you can re-print your tickets until you get ones that don't have the special code.

Does anyone know how you can tell if the airline ticket you are holding is one that will be pulled for a more extensive search than your normal "empty everything in your pockets and walk through the detector?" I while back I heard there is something on the ticket that tells the people at the airport that you have been randomly chosen. I've also heard that if you are printing your ticket at home and you get one indicating (by a special code or number) that you will be pulled, you can re-print your tickets until you get ones that don't have the special code.

SSSS is AUTOMATIC secondary search. Is that what you are looking for???

Urban legend about reprinting your tickets to get the SSSS removed. It is in the airline computer-doesn't matter how many times you print the ticket.

Urban legend about reprinting your tickets to get the SSSS removed. It is in the airline computer-doesn't matter how many times you print the ticket.

Is there something that triggers this is or is it random? I had this happen to me on Allegiant once going to LV. Coming and going. On the way back I had my wife take my carry on through so they wouldn't dump everything thing out.

We had the SSSS on our tickets last year and it worked out great because we were pulled out of the long line at security and sent to a different scanner. We went thru the "puffer" machine; they did a special scan of our shoes and my DH's belt, looked thru our carry-ons and we were on our way at least 10 minutes ahead of what the normal line would have been for us.

Kathy:)

I agree with Ron that you can be selected despite what your ticket says.

Having the SSSS on our boarding passes just let us know for sure we would be searched. We asked the agent what it meant since we had never seen it before; she explained and said it was randomly selected by the computer.

BTW, we believe searches are a VERY good thing!

yes, this is what i was looking for. thank you.

I agree with Ron that you can be selected despite what your ticket says.

Having the SSSS on our boarding passes just let us know for sure we would be searched. We asked the agent what it meant since we had never seen it before; she explained and said it was randomly selected by the computer.

BTW, we believe searches are a VERY good thing!

i agree 100 percent. i just wanted to know in advance so that i could prepare my family should this happen.

I purchased a oneway ticket to Rome a few years ago and paid cash through a consolidator and was targeted with the dreaded SSSS so definitely some things will trigger it. I was thankful Dulles wasn't very busy because I've gone through that airport when it was a nightmare. I did leave 4 days before the cruise and one of the reasons was I was using a consolidator ticket anticipating there could be problems and thank goodness there wasn't. Ken...

I hadn't flown in years and was a nervous wreck about the security lines etc when I finally flew again. I was one of the lucky ones chosen that morning to step aside. Hoping to avoid whatever it was that caused it I asked why I was chosen. The gal said it was a random computer selection. I was surprised since it was painless but my husband got a kick out of the fact that of the two of us I was chosen since it was him that couldn't clear the metal detector. He had a coin in his wallet that had slipped into a section he never uses. I was chosen once after that and again it was just random. Honestly prepare those you travel with that they could be chosen randomly but it's really nothing to fear. Being pulled aside I've gotten the wand treatment from head to toe and a pat down once. :)

We had the SSSS on our tickets last year and it worked out great because we were pulled out of the long line at security and sent to a different scanner. We went thru the "puffer" machine; they did a special scan of our shoes and my DH's belt, looked thru our carry-ons and we were on our way at least 10 minutes ahead of what the normal line would have been for us.

We got the "puffer" machine this last flight, but I didn't even look at the ticket for the ssss. Nice to know for the future, but they can inspect me all they want. Just makes me feel a little safer.

Jan

One additional "indicator": If you can't print your boarding pass from home, it is possible that you have the SSSS. They prevent printing to keep you from using white-out and a copier to remove the SSSS before you reach security.

There are other reasons why you can't print out a BP from home (including too many segments, international flights, and interline issues), but it is often a good indicator.

One additional "indicator": If you can't print your boarding pass from home, it is possible that you have the SSSS. They prevent printing to keep you from using white-out and a copier to remove the SSSS before you reach security.

There are other reasons why you can't print out a BP from home (including too many segments, international flights, and interline issues), but it is often a good indicator.

Interestingly, 2 years ago, we were unable to print our boarding passes from home. When we checked in at the AA counter at the airport, the agent input our passport info into the computer and issued our boarding passes ... and there was no SSSS on them. So, who really knows how it works.

Interestingly, 2 years ago, we were unable to print our boarding passes from home. When we checked in at the AA counter at the airport, the agent input our passport info into the computer and issued our boarding passes ... and there was no SSSS on them. So, who really knows how it works.

All I know for sure is that I am glad they are checking:) .

Jan

All I know for sure is that I am glad they are checking:) .

Jan

Yes, I too am glad there are security procedures in place. Aside from the safety issue, it provides job security for thousands and thousands of government employees. Our tax $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at work.

At ORD, in addition to the TSA people, at each checkpoint there are scads of City of Chicago police working for the Feds on their day off ... and being paid by the Feds some $300/shift. If they are highly placed in the police department, they are paid $500/shift. This little plum of an assignment is so popular that officers are limited to only 2 shifts a month each, to spread the wealth around to all who care to supplement their income. Just an aside.

I think some things can trigger it - booking a one-way ticket. . .booking at the last minute, etc. and the rest, i guess, is random.

Or fitting the TSA racial profile of a terrorist :D

Sometimes it the the "too obvious" When it happen to us we were on our flight (roundtrip) to Orlando complete with Disney luggage, t-shirts etc. Mom, Dad and child.

We got it all......Every piece of our luggage went through a complete check. By that I mean, they took every thing out of the luggage down to every last piece of underwear......I'm glad it was on the flight to Orlando rather than the way home!!!

When we went through the main airport security, we were pulled aside and everything was taken out of our carry-ons.

When we went through security right before we got on the plane, we were once again pulled aside. At least it wasn't a "complete" check if you know what I mean!!! Although dh was asked to open up his shorts (belt buckle or zipper I don't remember what dinged!!)

When we asked why us, it was because we looked too perfect, the all American family going to Disney World.

I had the SSSSs on a couple flights thru ATL....i booked last minute (did that a lot last year, and a lot of one ways-but only got it once).....honestly, it was FASTER than the regular line....

i think they have the puffer in all the lines at ATL...boy is THAT weird.....i kinda jumped and laughed when it puffed......

the TSA person was nice and quick....they swiped all my stuff with the little cloth, i think they wanded me but i forget....

hey....if it keeps us safer, it's ok by me.

My hubby ALWAYS gets searched. We are so used to it we usually just stand aside and tell them he will need to be lol. He is 49 and has had a total hip replacement and beeps every time. Because of his age they rarely believe he beeps because of a hip rep. My DD(10) gets a big laugh out of this everytime.

Archived