The saga of the bags comes to an end

Shogun

Hi Folks,

Well after months the insurance company has made an offer no great as they want only documents dated before the loss of the bags.

In the letter it says you may get more if you drop the claim with us and try your house hold insurance.

Next time I cruise/travel I will keep every receipt for everything that I buy in the months before my trip.

yours Shogun

Wow. Sorry to hear that you did not get a very good insurance payout. But I do thank you for sharing your story. I will definitely take a lesson from your experience and keep as many of my receipts as possible!

Hi Folks,

Well after months the insurance company has made an offer no great as they want only documents dated before the loss of the bags.

In the letter it says you may get more if you drop the claim with us and try your house hold insurance.

Next time I cruise/travel I will keep every receipt for everything that I buy in the months before my trip.

yours Shogun

Sorry to hear the travel insurance is "passing the buck" so to speak!

Let's see....our contract states we have to prove we had a left arm, right leg, born on Monday in an odd numbered year, during a hurricane! :rolleyes:

Well, Shogun, cruise on!

Insurance sure is a racket!

Hi Folks,

yours Shogun

I have learned from your experience and I thank you. I will only use American Express to purchase things for my cruise, as they keep a receipt of your purchases for one year & you can print it out online. sorry for your troubles.

Jan

Shogun that's just awful! :mad: Sounds like highway robbery to me. Although each time I sail I end up buying a couple of new things (despite the best intentions) most of what goes into our suit cases is stuff we have been sailing with for several years. No way do I have receipts for it. :eek: Guess if one wants to be reinbursed for lost luggage and contents they must fill it with all new goods for which they have saved all the receipts. At least in my case it just isn't going to happen.

Hi Folks,

yours Shogun

Well, that isn't good news at all. Sorry to hear they are being such stinkers. I too would never be able to provide receipts for a lot of items we take on cruises. I agree, which insurance company was this, I want to make sure never to use them? :( :(

I had been under the impression that the insurance we always get from insuremytrip just required receipts for the things we bought to replace late or lost baggage. We only got the TA-offered insurance this time, and now I'm wondering if I had it wrong all along.

Off to read my contracts - I'm so sorry you had issues getting your due. =(

:eek: ..I to am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I have been following your forums and enjoyed your review but thought you would certainly get your luggage back. Goes to show you what insurance is all about .The dirty scoundrals.!!!:mad:

Reminds me of the joke a comedian once said about insurances that" yes you pay me life insurance and when you die i'll pay you back. "

Makes all the sence in the world when it comes to insurance.

Keep cool and keep cruising.!!:)

FLORENCE

what a dilemma, nothing good happens for you unless a negative happens to you! :confused:

I always keep my packing list, but now recognize that the list is only for my benefit. Your story makes me question about insurance in general, but if the 'big one' comes along, it is sure nice to have.

Rex

Hi Folks,

As to the paper work, credit bill etc is OK if dated before cruise and you can explain what it was you bought, I was lucky in that the suitcase, was on a statement and got a letter from the shop saying that it cost x so matched my credit card statement. A couple of shops, small stores re wrote the receipts for me but one charged me $40 saying when I came back to re buy he would give me back the $40. Again for items that I could prove I had, but no orginal paper work the maximum they would pay was a $100 but again they took of a % for wear and tear.

In the end thet offered about 70% of what I wanted, but with what Princess gave me I have not lost out in terms of money.

But going back to back for 20 days with no stuff, well you learn to make do with very little.

My thoughts are my stuff was lifted either while waiting to be loaded on the bus out side the hotel, or the bus driver took it, I never know the truth or what happened to my sporran.

yours Shogun

So sorry you had to go through this insurance mess on top of the ordeal of having few clothes on our cruise.

Can you clarify? When you said that the most the insurance company would pay for items without receipts was $100, did you mean $100 PER ITEM or $100 for the entire group of stuff without receipts? Thanks.

Hi Catdancers

The $100 was for an item that I could prove that I had, but did not have the correct paper work, eg I had my MP3 player with me but my charger was in my bag, so on my return I was able to get a new charger direct from the maker as it is an older type, for this item they paid the full cost as it was only $50. For items like shoes I had photos from my last cruise so could show that I owned what I said I did, plus could prove that I did take them on holidays with me in the past.

While I hate insurance companies, I do understand, how do they know what I took on holiday, the first thing that most people said to me was claim for a gold watch, expensive camera etc.

Because of what Princess gave me I have not lost out in terms of money,

I have gained at lot of knowledge, guard your bags, trust know one, split your clothes, now I did not lose any expensive item as I carry that in my carry on stuff.

On the plus side the Emerald Princess crew did everything I think they could do , they gave on board credit to buy stuff, they gave free stuff for the first night, they gave me free formal wear and got it tailored to fit, a few free meals on board, free express laundry, not sure if they could have done more, then Princess gave me a credit into the $1000's .

I assume as I travel a lot this was going to happen some time as to date it has always been the other guy, same with pick pockets have seen it happen, muggings in the street like wise, I have never been caught by these low lifes but if I do well they would not get much, and they would not spoil my cruise.

happy cruising all.

yours Shogun

Hi emdia43,

The answer to that was yes, plus there is a flat bit on the back to take a credit card size bit of card with details, my stuff was not lost it grew legs and ran away, or may be it got help from some one.

yours Shogun

Guest arowe6
Shogun we could all learn a lesson from your positive attitude! Perhaps you could give lessons in "how to turn lemons into lemonaide". ;)

....Break out the Tequila and Salt. ;)

-Andrew

Hi Larsen,

Good to hear from you again,

what realy gets to me is all those cruise folks, moaning that the coffee is better back home, that there are no many kids , the food choice was poor, these things might be true, but compared to loved ones serving abroad in danger of not coming home, to the doctors report that we can not cure you, that your work place is closing down, they should be happy that they have the time the money and the health to be cruising in the first place. By all means point out ways to make things better but please do not moan or feel sorry for yourself.

yours Shogun

PS As to the above the answer is yes to all.

In my experience, you will always lose money regardless on a lost baggage claim. If you ever read your travel docs from an airline, you're had. No-one has receipts from stuff you take and even if you have to replace clothing, it's not necessarily replacement value anyway. As toturning into your insurance company, it probably won't raise your rates in this case, but may restrict future "lost" claims int he future.

I'm glad you did the best you could under the circumstances as I agree insurance is OK until you try to submit a claim then sometimes it gets to be a real PITA. Agree with PP that mentioned that's the price we pay for people turning in erroneous claims as I'm sure there were plenty of people that lost a lot more than what they had. Accordingly, that's the price we pay.

Hi emdia43,

The answer to that was yes, plus there is a flat bit on the back to take a credit card size bit of card with details, my stuff was not lost it grew legs and ran away, or may be it got help from some one.

yours Shogun

Gotcha!

So much for security, closed circuit cameras and all that! :)

Archived