Crown or Ruby for New Years Cruise

acruisefan

I'm trying to decide on which ship for a New Years cruise with family - 3 generation cruise with a teen, parents and grandparent. I like the Crown itinerary better, but it could be fun to be on a brand new ship ...any thoughts? We have been on the Crown before... if that makes a difference.

I like the idea of a new ship, but my guess is that the Ruby will be more expensive. I always enjoy the ship I'm on, but I ultimately pick by itinerary. Although I prefer Princess, I went on HAL a few years ago because it was the only ship that stopped in Tortola during the summer.

The cost is actually the same.

The Crown is an Eastern Cruise and visits:

Princess Cays, Grand Turk, St. Maarten, St. Thomas

The Ruby is a Western Cruise:

Cozumel, Princess Cays, Jamaica, Cayman Island

We have not been to Jamaica or Grand Turk, and I would be happy to return to St. Maarten since I was on the Racing Yacht excursion last time and didn't get to explore the island.

Thanks for your opinions![

Celebrity Constellation 2005

RCCL Adventure of the Seas 2006

Crown Princess 2007/quote]

If the cost is the same, I'd go with the itinerary you like better. Especially since the Ruby and Crown are twins; it's not like there are going to be exponentially-better enhancements to the Ruby that you'd miss out on aboard the Crown. Just my $.02.

We decided to book the ruby princess, We liked the ports on both the Crown Princess and Ruby Princess Itinerary, but how many chances do you have to sail on a brand new ship! especially since it doesnt look like carnival is going to order one for princess for a while:(

Thanks for the responses .... I decided to go with the Crown due to the itinerary. I hadn't realized that it was a sister ship to Crown thanks rdsqrl. It will be just out of drydock and probably all bright and shiny, although I'd love to try the Ruby, we'll try it it some other time. I hadn't thought about weather that time of year, either ... we've gone in the spring before and it hasn't been an issue.

We did look at other ships ... Solstice was my 1st choice, since Celebrity is my favorite cruise line, but putting teenage DS in an inside cabin was nearly as expensive as 2 of us in a balcony cabin! There are very few inside cabins on Solstice. Now it seems that DH adult kids will join us and so the cost of that would just be too much compared to Princess (our treat for them!).

As far as Eurodam goes, I thought they had the best itinerary of all, but I worry about HAL still having more of an older crowd, less night life that the kids will really enjoy. I just felt that since our ages range from 15 to 90, the Princess might be the best for everyone and our TA thought so, too.

Thanks for the advice.

Archived