Labadee - Zip Line

JHCB

Hi:

Has anybody gone on the zip line on Labadee? We will be sailing there this April on Liberty of the Seas. I am curious about how long the whole process takes from getting there to gearing up, training, waiting, and getting back.

Thanks,

JHCB

My DH did the zipline in Labadee and it did take quite a bit of his time. It was at least a couple of hours from start to finish. IMHO, too long considering the time ashore there is pretty limited. He enjoyed the long zip at the end but was not really happy with all the time it took to actually get to that point. I hung around a took some photos during his practice run and then had time to get my lunch, eat it, and get down to the beach to take more photos of him before he got to the top for the long zip.

My husband and son just did it on our recent Explorer trip. It did take a couple of hours. It felt like they were gone forever. They loved it, but said having done it once, that was enough for the amount of time involved.

• 2 weeks later...

icon1.gifwt limit lowered to 160lb!

We did the zipline in Labadee on March 21. They lowered the weight limit to 160 that day! My daughter and I were under the limit, but my husband was out of luck. They gave him an $80 refund on his ship account. It was mostly women and children as a result, 'cause many men were over the limit and they did have a scale right there to weigh people. There were 10 people in our group at the 2:30 slot. It takes 2 hours total from start to finish, with the assignment of a sling to each person, the instructions on the ground, the practice run on the small zipline, the ride up to the top and then waiting your turn at the top. There were only 4 lines open out of 5, and they send 3 or 4 people down at a time, a little staggered. The view is incredible! We brought a camera and took photos at the top, but you have to put it in a pocket while on the line, they don't want it swinging around. They recommend that you make a "starfish" with your arms and legs to slow down the ride, otherwise it's way too fast. At the very bottom when you hit the brake, there's a huge jerking of your body, a violent feeling for those with a healthy back, I wouldn't recommend it if you have any back trouble at all, I was surprised, it's like hitting a wall and your legs fly up high in the air, like on a kid's swing! It's an awesome ride down, great fun! We had to get back to the tenders right away when it ended at 4:30!

My mom recently did this at Loterie Farm and even though she had done this course before, she ended up breaking her ankle on the first zip. Just keep in mind when you are doing these Zip Lines - you can get hurt and it can completely change the course of your vacation. I was strapped up ready to go right behind her but I would think twice before doing this on a short vacation (and also away from home). I am not nervous or scared, just wouldnt want anything to ruin a vacation you know.

After doing some research, ankle injuries are farely common on these courses and you should keep this in mind.

I just got off the Brilliance and did the zip line in Labadee. We were scheduled for the 1000 excursion but tendered in early to Labadee and were able to go up with the first group at about 0845. Since there were only about 15 of us, we were done before 1000. I thought I was going to be terrified, but it wasn't scary at all. But the actual ride down is only about 2 minutes....too short of a time for $80!

It was very windy that day but they didn't lower the weight limit until later that afternoon - from 250 to 200 lbs.

To me, the zip line is the only thing worth getting off the ship for in Labadee.

Archived