Volendam viewing areas for Alaska

OJ46

I tried to search on this forum, but it is down just like the general search. I apologize if this question has been asked many times already.

I will be on the Volendam this summer in Alaska. I am not the type to stay in my room. I would like to be out and about and viewing the scenery and glaciers on deck or in lounges with nice windows.

What will my options be on the Volendam? What decks/lounges would be best to do my viewing from? I imagine I will mostly want to be outside. However, if the weather is inclement, I will want to know where the best inside viewing areas are.

Is the Volendam spacious enough for the number of cruisers, or do the decks/lounges tend to get crowded?

Thanks for any input.

We went on the Volendam for the full transit of the Panama Canal and it was great. Lots of public areas. Enclosed areas would be the Crow's nest, the Lido Restaurant, Explorer's Lounge, Explorations Cafe and Internet area and even the Fitness area in the forward bow. My favorite place (not so secret) was a door off the fitness area (port side) that leads to a deck outside that we got great pictures of the canal from. Also, there is a secret deck off the thermal spa in the bow (starboard side) which can be accessed from stairs below one deck or out the thermal spa door (but that can only be opened by thermal spa guests).

I assume in Alaska glacier viewing, as they did on the Panama Canal cruise, that they open up the bow viewing area. That can hold lots of people. You can also go to the very top deck and walk all the way around for a panoramic view.

Enjoy the Volendam - she's a great ship!

The main reason we recommend HAL for Alaska is the multitude of viewing areas out on deck. In addition to those already mentioned, there are the aft deck areas and the Lower Promenade. We've had our own balcony on two of our Alaskan cruises (due to family reasons), but we really didn't use them. There is too much to see all around the ship to be limited to what happened to be on 'our' side.

We recently returned from Antarctica on the Rotterdam. There was always plenty of space available outside. Now, the Crow's Nest can get packed and when someone up in front decides to stand for a 'better' view....... Some passengers liked the enclosed area around the Lido pool for their viewing.

I have been to Alaska several times and the time on the Veendam (similar to Volendam) I spent a lot of time out on deck especially in Glacier Bay. You can go out on the bow which is really neat. Also, one of the really good places is up top on the jogging track as it is easy to get around to the other side of the ship if it turns around. If you want to get even higher you can go up on top of the Crows Nest where there is an observation deck. However, there is smoked glass around that deck and it might affect pictures. I recommend that everyone take in their suitcase a hat, and some gloves to wear if it is cold. I always took a ski jacket, wool ski hat and gloves. That way you can stay out longer. The staff come around with wonderful HOT Dutch Pea Soup which is wonderful. Also they have hot chocolate (which you can get fortified with booze if you go to the aft pool deck and of course that costs $$) but it is so good. Have a wonderful trip. There will be scenery most of the time.

Nonie in Vancouver:)

We love these HAL ships for the ability to have easy access to many good viewing spots. Yes, the 'hidden access" off the exercise room is great (as is the exercise room itself), the Crow's Nest is fantastic (the ranger will usually be there when in Glacier Bay), and our favorite, though is the Promenade...you can do your walking exercise while viewing the fantastic scenery. It's covered, so unless the rain is blowing, you are still able to be outside. I agree, too...bring hat and gloves. Remember when you're viewing glaciers, it's like standing in front of your freezer with the door open and a wind blowing off it...it's a lot colder!

Have a great time...we're going again too...

Jan

I was on the Rotterdam around Cape Horn. The ship is similar to the Volendam. All of the areas mentioned before were opened. The if the ship opens up all the possible areas you will have plenty of opportunities for good viewing.

On my canal transit (Island Princess) the staff did not open the bow area, did not inform people of 2 good viewing areas on the lower deck, and only sold water to the passengers. As a result people were lined up 6 deep on the top deck to see the operation of the canal.

Someone mentioned how much better HAL treated the passengers in Alaska.

After one Princess cruise I will say it be a long time before I do it again.

Glad to be on the Volendam.:p

We were up on the bow deck in Glacier Bay in Aug. I wore a long sleeved shirt over a t-shirt and then on top had a lightweight jacket with a fleece lining. I did NOT wear a hat or gloves even tho I packed them along. It was approx. 40 degrees aoutside the day we went thru Glacier Bay. We happen to live in Wisconsin so that felt like an October or March day to us:D . If you are from down south, you will probably need warmer gear; I saw plenty of hats, earmuffs, gloves, hooded jackets......

After the Capt. turned the ship around to leave the bay area, we went down to our veranda suite and stood on our veranda, because we were on the starboard side of the ship unfortunately

There is hot Dutch Pea Soup and hot chocolate available to warm up your insides!

We cruise Princess the most, but have to say our Alaska cruise on the Volendam was the VERY BEST of our four Alaska cruises. Mainly this was because of our large balcony cabin and the WONDERFUL viewing areas both inside and outside on the ship. For early mornings, stake out a front row seat in the Crow's Nest and enjoy the magnificent views from those huge windows, hot chocolate in hand! You're in for a real treat! Enjoy!

My favorite place (not so secret) was a door off the fitness area (port side) that leads to a deck outside that we got great pictures of the canal from. Also, there is a secret deck off the thermal spa in the bow (starboard side) which can be accessed from stairs below one deck or out the thermal spa door (but that can only be opened by thermal spa guests).

On our Panama canal trip last year this is where we were for the transit. Our waiter told us about both of these locations and being up high we had great unrestricted views. If the weather is not so nice the Crows Nest Bar has fantastic forward and side views and some very comfortable lounge chairs to sit in.:D

For early mornings, stake out a front row seat in the Crow's Nest and enjoy the magnificent views from those huge windows, hot chocolate in hand! You're in for a real treat! Enjoy!

Do they actually let you sit there for hours? I would think that unless you were eating they would want you to leave. Am I missing something here?

Do they actually let you sit there for hours? I would think that unless you were eating they would want you to leave. Am I missing something here?
Yes, one can sit there for hours. The Crow's Nest isn't a dining venue (hors d'oeuvre pre-dinner), but that doesn't matter. One can sit in the Lido Cafe for hours if they should so wish.

Yes, one can sit there for hours. The Crow's Nest isn't a dining venue (hors d'oeuvre pre-dinner), but that doesn't matter. One can sit in the Lido Cafe for hours if they should so wish.

The Crows Nest doesnt even begin serving until late morning and is a great place to read, play cards or just admire the view 10 stories up any time of the day or night.:D Best part, except at night when it becomes a night club and dance venue, it is never very crowded!!

Best part, except at night when it becomes a night club and dance venue, it is never very crowded!!
Oh, I've seen it get pretty packed in Alaska and Antarctica during the day for scenic viewing. It was my favorite place on the ship - until HAL decided to do the 'remodeling' and it now looks as if a semi trailer is parked down below the beautiful bow windows. :rolleyes:

Last August on the Volendam they had one of those tall wheeled ladders with a platform on top (like you see the band director for the marching band out on the football field using) up on the observation deck area. There was a line to use it and it was REALLY cold and windy on the platform, but the pictures I got from up there were great!

One deck area that hasn't been mentioned and is my favorite on R class ships, is the small forward deck accessed from the front port side on the Verandah deck. You'll see where it is if you check the ship's map. Not many people know it's there or how to get to it, you can almost always get a spot on the railing and you're up much higher than the bow deck. The only downside is there's no pea soup or hot chocolate there.

Does anyone know if the S class ships have that deck? The maps are inconclusive.

One deck area that hasn't been mentioned and is my favorite on R class ships, is the small forward deck accessed from the front port side on the Verandah deck. You'll see where it is if you check the ship's map. Not many people know it's there or how to get to it, you can almost always get a spot on the railing and you're up much higher than the bow deck. The only downside is there's no pea soup or hot chocolate there.

Does anyone know if the S class ships have that deck? The maps are inconclusive.

Is the Volendam an R ship or an S ship?

Actually on our Panama Canal Transit in November that deck was packed with people complete with coffee and roll service.

Archived