Here It Is Boys and Girls...New Dress Code

KenMo

People you can still dress up. Nothing really has changed it is just more clearly defined in the dress code. Wear your cocktail dresses and suits. We will. But we will also still wear our jeans on casual nights.

YES! The key here is choice...and those who wish to be "formal" can still do so...

Personally, I like the change. And, though, I will be less formal now...I will be dressed appropriately and not offend anyone.

So Sparty' date=' please make I be so brazen as to ask, why you would cruise the common Cruise line Carnival???:confused: It really has me quite puzzled.:confused:[/quote']

Well that seems fairly obvious to me! It's one more of those sacrifices he's making! Where would simpletons like me ever learn about manpris?! I never even heard of them before today! :D Some of us need people like Sparty to teach us new things (especially the older we get) so we don't become "old"! <shudder> ;)

So Sparty' date=' please make I be so brazen as to ask, why you would cruise the common Cruise line Carnival???:confused: It really has me quite puzzled.:confused:[/quote']

Im not up here heaping praise on the food. Im not cruising any cruiseline for the food. Food on a ship is there for one thing for me, to keep my stomach from grumbling. I have fun no matter where I go, no matter what I do, no matter who im with. All mass market cruiselines are "common" in one respect or another, and I will not EVER feel the need to spend the jack that is needed to cruise the luxury lines. I just want to get away, that is all.

Well that seems fairly obvious to me! It's one more of those sacrifices he's making! Where would simpletons like me ever learn about manpris?! I never even heard of them before today! :D Some of us need people like Sparty to teach us new things (especially the older we get) so we don't become "old"! <shudder> ;)

My flock is growing.. My work is just. :p

I wonder how much the charges for extra airline baggage affects whether folks want to pay for the extra luggage for formal night attire? I suspect folks will be packing lighter, and looking to ditch whatever they can so the airfare is affordable :(

I wonder how much the charges for extra airline baggage affects whether folks want to pay for the extra luggage for formal night attire? I suspect folks will be packing lighter, and looking to ditch whatever they can so the airfare is affordable :(

You know it's funny you should bring that up. Since we live in San Diego, obviously we can drive to the port if we are leaving locally, but I was just thinking earlier that I should find out how much it is to rent a tux instead of bringing mine because of the extra baggage thing. I don't think it will stop me from wearing a tux, but I might rent rather than bring. Plus, I bet I'll get one of those stylish new ones! Maybe even ones with manpris?! LOL! :D

i always get dressed for dinner, but i have to admit, i am going to love trying this. i will pack more casual clothes for my july cruise, and will have some dressy dinner outfits too.

i will feel it out after a night or two. see what the masses do.

i used to like getting all decked out. but frankly, now it's become a chore i do not look forward to. i have the unfortunate task of pressing everyone's clothes, every night, for dinner. that is a lot of wasted time on my part. the more relaxed dress code will allow them to wear more wrinkle resistant fabrics. they will still look very nice and i think it'll be great.

You know it's funny you should bring that up. Since we live in San Diego, obviously we can drive to the port if we are leaving locally, but I was just thinking earlier that I should find out how much it is to rent a tux instead of bringing mine because of the extra baggage thing. I don't think it will stop me from wearing a tux, but I might rent rather than bring. Plus, I bet I'll get one of those stylish new ones! Maybe even ones with manpris?! LOL! :D

Manpris do NOT go well with a tuxedo, but they would go well with my ascot, which I will be donning on ELEGANT dining evening.

Personally I hate the dumbing down of the dress code. One of the reasons my wife and I stopped cruising with Norwegian was the freestyle dress code. I wear a suit everyday to work and still look forward to dressing to the nines with my wife because she looks simply stunning in her gowns. On NCL we would clean up, have a pre-dinner cocktail, and head to the dining room feeling great and sexy. We would walk to the host stand and be seated. Once settled I would look around and feel entirely out of place; to the right there are a couple in tank-tops and flip-flops and to the left there is an eight-top table wearing t-shirts and ballcaps. If you want to dress like your sitting at home at your kitchen table that is fine but I wish the cruise lines would take the initative to seperate the dining rooms based on an enforced dress code.

Personally I hate the dumbing down of the dress code. One of the reasons my wife and I stopped cruising with Norwegian was the freestyle dress code. I wear a suit everyday to work and still look forward to dressing to the nines with my wife because she looks simply stunning in her gowns. On NCL we would clean up, have a pre-dinner cocktail, and head to the dining room feeling great and sexy. We would walk to the host stand and be seated. Once settled I would look around and feel entirely out of place; to the right there are a couple in tank-tops and flip-flops and to the left there is an eight-top table wearing t-shirts and ballcaps. If you want to dress like your sitting at home at your kitchen table that is fine but I wish the cruise lines would take the initative to seperate the dining rooms based on an enforced dress code.

What is the DUMBING down of the dress code? This is without a doubt, one of those catch phrases that like minded drones cling on to and do not let go of. Relaxation of restriction=dumbing? I will not get into a political debate, wait, yes I will, but I see WAY more examples of the DUMBING of America than attire in an AT BEST 2 star dining establishment.

I don't have any big problem with this change, but there is one thing they don't spell out. Sweat pants. My feeling is that they do not belong on ANYBODY outside of their homes (cabins) or the gym. I assume/hope that they are not permitted in the dining room, but this dress code doesn't address that issue at all...

Personally I hate the dumbing down of the dress code. One of the reasons my wife and I stopped cruising with Norwegian was the freestyle dress code. I wear a suit everyday to work and still look forward to dressing to the nines with my wife because she looks simply stunning in her gowns. On NCL we would clean up, have a pre-dinner cocktail, and head to the dining room feeling great and sexy. We would walk to the host stand and be seated. Once settled I would look around and feel entirely out of place; to the right there are a couple in tank-tops and flip-flops and to the left there is an eight-top table wearing t-shirts and ballcaps. If you want to dress like your sitting at home at your kitchen table that is fine but I wish the cruise lines would take the initative to seperate the dining rooms based on an enforced

Dress code.

Oh, how I would love to meet more younger people like you!! Everything you said is true. We will still drees for dinner every night. DH will be in a suit and tie, and a tux, and I'll dress accordingly. I agree that a cruise is to be enjoyed and during the daytime, the casual clothes are as it should be, but for dinner, it's just not that difficult for people to put forth a little effort and dress up, if not for themselves, then for their partner. I can't tell you the times, I have seen these women dressed so beautifully, and then their DH or boyfriend, decides to wear his shorts and tshirt to dinner. I must say, I am so proud to walk in with my husband, and see the looks that he gets!:)

Now we're going to get threads about, " Do I have to dress Eligantly"? Or "Eligant night, what do I wear"?

DrewB, On the Liberty in '07, a couple from our table opted out of formal night, and we saw them in sweats, top & bottom. Talk about looking out of place. To each their own I suppose.

Since I'm just waiting to hear that the last two major airlines are now going to charge for the second suitcase, I for one am relieved that Carnival has relaxed the dress code. Yes, DH could rent black tie on board, but I'm still stuck having to drag the formal outfit. Some people like dressing up, some don't. And some of us never notice what you're wearing unless you're not wearing anything!

We will continue to "dress" each night also. It isn't too often we eat together as a family- nor is it too often I see my teens cleaned up in nice clothes. I see them in jeans all the time -and they actually enjoy dressing up on the cruises. I think they would be disappointed if they wore the same "stuff" they wear at home everyday. Actually, we were kind of shocked (and very pleased) at the number of people who wore formal clothing to the dining rooms and around the ship on formal nights on our December cruise. (at least 95%) Maybe because it was a holiday cruise...

Well, to each their own. The main thing is to be happy, and enjoy yourselves on your vacation.

Since I'm just waiting to hear that the last two major airlines are now going to charge for the second suitcase, I for one am relieved that Carnival has relaxed the dress code. Yes, DH could rent black tie on board, but I'm still stuck having to drag the formal outfit. Some people like dressing up, some don't. And some of us never notice what you're wearing unless you're not wearing anything!

I don't get that logic at all. Isn't the charge for an extra bag on the airlines only $25? Isn't the charge for tux rental $75 (or something like that)?

Mmmm.. frozen lobster tail.. how haute cuisine. C'mon now. Im a food snob, on top of a fashion snob, and hell, a snob in general. That food is high society for those whom you complain about their attire. Warm chocolate melting cake? I wouldnt put that swill near my palate. And unless your after dinner drink is a 18 year or old Caol Ila, I dont wanna hear about it.:p ;)

The meal doesn't have to be a stun-the-senses dining experience to warrant better attire. Take a clue from the decor. Mickey D's doesn't expect ballgowns, cruiseship dining rooms look as though a tux or gown would be just perfect. But, people will be people, and you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear ;)

I now have 2 pairs of manpris that will be making the trip with me in 15 days. Manpris, long a staple of men in Europe, need and deserve a hero like me to champion their cause. Sure, I will be mocked and ridiculed at first, but soon they will catch on when they notice a hunky, dreamy, 30 something man, looking damned good in his cropped pants.

photo please

Archived