How long before Hal changes and allows shorts in the dining room ?

Odd Ball

I think that with so many airlines charging $25 to check a 2nd bag to your destination and another $25 for the return trip, I think that formal attire will disappear on all but the most up market cruise lines.

Crystal cruise lines pays for the extra baggage charges for its passengers in the suites and on the world cruise.

I started traveling with HAL when we traveled by ship for transportation and not only for a vacation. Everyone dressed reasonably well at all times in those days and some people really dressed up on the formal nights. We had an incredible amount of baggage. Those days are long gone.

As we've seen numerous times, some people will stretch definitions to fit their own desires. "Dress shorts" (what are those, anyway?) will quickly become "any shorts" and there will be, in effect, no dress code at all. That's the way these things go down.

Hopefully HAL will not even open the door.

I totally understand your concern with the slippery slope going towards "any shorts".

I have some shorts which I would consider "dress shorts". The tailoring and stitching on them is similar to a women's "trouser pant". They are black with a thin white pinstripe. I can't remember exactly the blend they are made with (they are at the dry cleaners at the moment) but I believe it is a blend of polyester and cotton. They are long and just cover the knee and have a sewn in cuff. I usually wear these shorts with high heels and a dressy top in the evenings during summer. I am imagining this is the look they are going for on Carnival - however not so sure all others will interpret this the same way due to that slippery slope.

Myself, I would enjoy the option of dressing like this sometimes during a cruise. However, the key word is sometimes.

Personally, what I think HAL should do is have certain designated optional formal nights. Have one area of the flexible dining room turned into a "supper club" environment where only those who dress up in formalwear can be seated. Then, for everyone else, in every other eatery onboard, the casual dress code applies. The food in that "supper club" would be the same as everyone else was eating in the dining room,

No, I think those who make the effort to dress should be rewarded with better food selection. Maybe the Pinnacle Grille could "go formal" with lobster added to the menu...

I suppose changes are coming. It saddens me to think that shorts would be allowed in the lovely dining rooms for dinner on HAL ships.

I always look forward to dinner--chatting with those at your table about the days events.

Dressing for dinner helps to make it an event--not just eating. Perhaps that's the bottom line: pax look at dinner from differing perspectives. Cruising traditionists see it a social event. Non-traditionists simply see dinner in the dining room as eating--no big deal! (JMHO)

I tend to wear shorts during the day if the temp is over 65 degrees. (For the record, I do change clothes for dinner...)

Are shorts allowed in the dining room for breakfast or lunch? Will I have to change into pants to dine during the day?

Also, is the Pinnacle Grill open during the day, or just for dinner?

This newby would appreciate your advice...:)

Hunnypot1,

Yes, shorts are allowed in the dining room at breakfast and lunch.

The Pinnacle is open for lunch, usually during sea days. There is an extra charge.

Also, is the Pinnacle Grill open during the day, or just for dinner?
The Pinnacle is open for lunch, usually during sea days. There is an extra charge.
On our last cruise (Zuiderdam) the P.G. was open for lunch every day except Embarkation and HMC days. Shorts ARE allowed there for lunch.

Just a quick question. When did you encounter this on a Carnival cruise? Or any cruise for that matter.

I'm guessing that you haven't been on a Carnival ship in the past five years if ever. We bought in to the Anti-Carnival stuff for a number of years. Then we decided to give it a try and were pleasantly surprised.

The demographics on Carnival are similar to the other lines that we have been on.

Charlie

I have cruised Carnival three times, 1990, 1996, 2005 (new ship). While they did improve their food, the overall atmposphere did not change IMO. The ships were loud, crowded, smoky and there were plenty of folks dressed very casually in the dining room at dinner.

I have now seen wrinkled shorts, ball caps, logo tees, sweats, doo rags and swim baggies at dinner in the main dining room on RCI, Carnival and even my last Celebrity cruise.

IME, the demographic on Carnival was different than what I personally enjoy on each of these three cruises. More rowdy, more casual, etc.

I did not enjoy any of these three cruises and would not cruise with them again, no matter how low the price.

As much as I am not a big fan of formal nights ( We do dress according because we are supposed to) I would not want to see the dress code go to shorts.

"Smart casual" every night would be just fine by me, but that should be the limit.

With a little luck it it will start with new bookings only, one week after the world comes to an end.

Which could be sooner than you think. from today's NY Times:

Asking a Judge to Save the World

Two men are pursuing a lawsuit to stop scientists from using a giant particle accelerator, claiming that it could create a black hole that might eat up the Earth. :eek:

I have cruised Carnival three times, 1990, 1996, 2005 (new ship). While they did improve their food, the overall atmposphere did not change IMO. The ships were loud, crowded, smoky and there were plenty of folks dressed very casually in the dining room at dinner.

I have now seen wrinkled shorts, ball caps, logo tees, sweats, doo rags and swim baggies at dinner in the main dining room on RCI, Carnival and even my last Celebrity cruise.

IME, the demographic on Carnival was different than what I personally enjoy on each of these three cruises. More rowdy, more casual, etc.

I did not enjoy any of these three cruises and would not cruise with them again, no matter how low the price.

Since that was your Carnival experience I can't argue with your decision not to sail them again. I know that our experience was not like that. We sailed Valor (Nov 2006), Legend (Jan 2007), Valor (Apr 2007) and Miracle (Jan 2008). I did feel that on our first Valor cruise that the noise level around the main pool was usually louder than we have seen on other cruises. Other than that, no real difference.

With regard to coming changes on HAL and the cruise industry in general, we have to remember all of these lines are a business. They will look at competition and see what can be adapted to increase their bottom line.

The customers of the cruise line is IMHO the shareholders. They (we if you own stock) want a return on their (our) investment. If they feel that "dress shorts" in the dining room will help fill the ships, it will happen.

They will have to balance the influx of new passengers with the lost passengers who migrate to the premium lines.

Just my 2¢,

Charlie

No, I think those who make the effort to dress should be rewarded with better food selection. Maybe the Pinnacle Grille could "go formal" with lobster added to the menu...

Are you insinuating that those "who make the effort (what effort?) to dress(assume nudity is not permitted even in the most casual dining venues) should be rewarded with better food selection" because that are "better" people?

[quote name=98Charlie;14003625

They will have to balance the influx of new passengers with the lost passengers who migrate to the premium lines.

Just my 2¢' date='

Charlie[/quote]

I agree that changes will continue in an effort to fill cabins and the traditionalists - like me - will have to go elsewhere. Shorts in the dining room would be a deal breaker for me personally in terms of choosing HAL.

We enjoy land vacations more than cruises these days for lots of reasons and find the AI resorts a great alternative to cruising; we also enjoy the luxury lines but unfortunately they are $$$ and it is rare for them to offer a one week Caribbean itinerary. We have no real interest in longer or more exotic itineraries, preferring to make those trips on land.

Where in the past cruising was our first choice for a vacation, we now choose other options that provide an experience more in line with what we enjoy. Bigger and bigger ships with more and more passengers are definitely not attractive to us, nor is the more casual environment on these mega liners.

Penny, yes, swim trunks and rubber flip flops were worn by 20 somethings at a table next to ours on an RCI cruise we took last summer to the Bahamas. And it was dinner in the main dining room.:(

Reading through these posts, I couldn't help but thinking that they could have been written a couple of years ago if eliminate the reference to "shorts" and put in AYW dining.

I don't think that I have ever met a person that has yet to go on a cruise say, "I will start cruising when they allow shorts in the dining room." I don't see how this will increase the bottom line.

In my opinion, HAL could have increased their market share by keeping things as they were. It seems to me that a lot of people prefer that and would have migrated to HAL as other lines changed.

I don't think that I have ever met a person that has yet to go on a cruise say, "I will start cruising when they allow shorts in the dining room." I don't see how this will increase the bottom line.

In my opinion, HAL could have increased their market share by keeping things as they were. It seems to me that a lot of people prefer that and would have migrated to HAL as other lines changed.

You may well be correct. But, I'm guessing that HAL did market research of some sort before going with AYW. When and if they relax the dress code in any manner it will be IMHO a response to further research.

And maybe, just maybe, the research will point to a glut in the market for cruise lines with AYW type dining, relaxed dress codes, etc. and a need for a cruise line with only traditional dining, 2 formal nights per 7 nighter, etc. Then the powers that be at HAL might decide to abandon the changes that have been made and return to the standards of a few years ago.

Charlie

We hope this never happens!!! Why mess with something that the majority of clients love - and yes, it does have something to do with tradition. If you want to wear shorts, go to the Lido or take a cruise line of lesser stature. Just OHOs. Cheers to all !!!

Happy Cruizin!!!! ;) :p

I have nothing against shorts, and wear them a lot, even going out to eat at local restaurants where shorts are appropriate.

We like to cruise, in part, with HAL because it is a special experience unlike our day-to-day routine. Allowing shorts, IMO, would diminish what has made cruising on HAL special to us.

I was amazed what some people considered to be Smart Casual on our recent HAL cruise. One instance: on the last evening, a fellow entering the dining room in front of us was wearing coveralls and tennis shoes.

So, I'm afraid if HAL permits shorts ala' Carnival, who knows what will actually be permitted to be worn in the dining room in the evenings?

Archived