UB Breakfast...is it worth it?

Murphey

I truly thought it was worth it. We did ours while sitting on our balcony in Honolulu. Now that was very nice. But to be truthful, I think I would do it only once. I might change my mind down the road but for now once was enough. But you do get a lot of food. Just do a search. there is a lot of posts about this. Enjoy.

Marilyn

I didn't think so. I bought it for my mother, DS & wife, DD and husband and us, so 4 cabins. While there was lots of food, it wasn't food I wanted to eat. I don't eat crab - so the crab cakes weren't for me. I don't eat much seafood and so the salmon for breakfast again wasn't for me. That left sweets (rolls etc) and fruit and a few other things. Checked out the other 3 and what they ate (who all like seafood) and no one ate the sea food. We were not offered a choice, just a form to fill out. Also, my Son IL is allergic to dill and one of the items had dill on it and it is pre set up. They had to substitute omelets for it. All in all, most of the food went un-eaten and wasted.

We loved it. Although not offered a choice we told the person on the phone that we did not care for salmon and he asked what we would like instead. I got Eggs Benedict and DH got a ham and cheese omlet plus all the other stuff. It was a lot of food - we kept the pastries in our room - our room steward had a couple. We will be doing this again on Star.

We had the breakfast a couple years ago and really enjoyed it (there was so much food we saved some for later). Of course the scenery helped as it was the morning we were cruising Tracy Arm Fjord. We plan on doing it again in the future,

We loved it and will be doing it again :D My husband does not like quiche so they fixed him an amazing omlette and I don't like salmon at breakfast so they included some lovely ham steaks.

I'm also diabetic so they sent extra berries w/cream :p since I needed to forgo the pastry. They still sent ALL of the original food in addition.

The champagne mixes nicely with the OJ for Mimosas ;)

We are on a 9 night on the CB next and hoping we can do it twice!

To each his own and some people have much larger appetites, but it was really wasted on us and we both hate to waste food, having grown up when we did, when food was not as over-abundant as now. The UBB was a gift from our TA, but would not ever order it on our own. I'm diabetic, so I couldn't eat all the heavy carbs. Furthermore I know that if I "pig out" I get sick, so I know my limits. I love seafood and ate as much as I could, but there simply was too much of everything. DH was not a big help. When he's full, he stops eating, but it kept on coming and kept on coming, tray after tray after tray... Another problem was that since we had one of the bump-out cabins amidships on the Caribe Deck on Island Princess, the balcony was tiny, with a table no bigger than a pizza pan. There was only so much we could balance on it and had to eat off the plates in our laps.

Just my opinion! Bon appetit:eek: :D

Have already ordered this for mother and I as a birthday surprise for her one a.m., but I guess I thought you could order off the menu. Since I see here that you don't have a choice, I'm curious as to what is included so I'll know in advance if something won't work for us. Do I just call room service to discuss any changes?

Thank you so much for this important information, which I wouldn't have even thought of if not for you! :)

Not knowing that we could substitute things, we hated it and thought it a complete waste of money. My daughter is allergic to shellfish and both of us dislike fruity pastries; the melon was so hard it would barely cut with a knife; the quiche was a "two bite" dried up piece of pastry and the champagne was so sweet it was undrinkable (and I'm not picky when it comes to champagne.) We were so hungry afterwards that we went up to the buffet. If I'd known we could have had eggs Benedict, I might consider it again.

We were unimpressed. I love quiche, but this one was full of black olives -yeck! (I didn't know I could order something else or that I was getting black olive quiche, for that matter). The rest was just ok. Definately not worth $50 for me. I'd save my money and treat myself at one of the specielty restaurants instead. Just my 2 cents (and probably worht even less than that!:D )

What ship were you on that they charge you $50 :eek: It's $28 per couple on all other ships ;)

We were unimpressed. I love quiche, but this one was full of black olives -yeck! (I didn't know I could order something else or that I was getting black olive quiche, for that matter). The rest was just ok. Definately not worth $50 for me. I'd save my money and treat myself at one of the specielty restaurants instead. Just my 2 cents (and probably worht even less than that!:D )

Thanks everyone...I think perhaps we'll skip it. One of the reasons it interested me was that we could "prepay" for it. Perhaps I'll just give myself SBC for a specialty restaurant instead!

I would vote for the specialty restaurant. we thought there was way too much food for two people, and we had a small balcony with the teeny tiny table, though I love the idea of it, it wans't as nice as I thought it would be.

Hi,

We did the UB thing on the Coral the morning we entered Gatun Locks westbound for SFO and YVR.

Well, as our stateroom was on the port side, we had the sun at 0730 as we approached the locks. Our intent was (and we ordered it) for 0815 as it takes about 45mins to get up into Gatun Lake. Needless to say as we came back to the stateroom after transiting the locks, the balcony was so damn hot that we ended up taking it inside wher it was A/C.

The food we had was enough for 4 and we all nibbled on bkfst with champagne while holed up inside the A/C stateroom. f you're gonna make it for you might consider ordering an extra bottle of "champers. There was a good array of fruits, sweet buns, lox, eggs etc.

All in all the four of us thought it was good bang for the back.

Ciao for now!!!

I would recommend

We were all left cards to let them know what time. There was no phone call - and we were not told we could substitute, although I expected that from reading these boards. If you do decided to do it, take into consideration - SUNRISE. I completely forgot about that and said 7:30 - which was about 1/2 too early for where we were. Should have said closer to 9:00. They did brings lots of food, but most of it we didn't enjoy. Maybe next time I'll try the dinner - but I'd never do the breakfast again. I'm just as happy with DH going to the buffet and bringing me back coffee, juice and some melon.

I planned the UB for my husband and I thinking it would be a great way to enjoy our balcony. When I called to order, I substituted omelettes for the quiche. I was very disappointed with the breakfast.

Since we only had a small table, I thought they would bring some type of temporary table. Nope, the room service server brought in the first tray and said - quote - "Where do you want this?" When I told him we would be eating on the balcony, his response was "You've got 3 more trays after this one". After he put the first tray on the small balcony table, he put the next one in my husband's chair and my husband quickly grabbed the small table from the cabin and brought it to the balcony. The room service server placed tray #3 on my chair, the last one on the cabin table and was gone without another word. I was speechless (unusual for me - just ask my husband!) - I had pictured some personal service and did not receive it! After he was gone, I realized we did not get any fruit and the food we did get was no different than what we would find at the buffet - other than the split of champagne.

Bottom line, we basically paid to have a Mimosa but at least now I know not to order it again.

Archived