Is Solstice Afloat?

Oh2Bcruisin

Every week I've been checking out and saving the Solstice construction pics from Meyer-Werft. With the latest picture I notice something different. The ship rose. By comparing other parts of the dry-dock from an earlier picture I was able to confirm that only the ship moved. Is this a normal part of the ship building process?

There is a show that has aired on Discovery Science channel "Big Things" and includes the making of the Solstice. It airs again on April 11, 12, and 13. I'm not a detail person and can't remember when they said the area is flooded with water.

The area is not floaded with water and the ship isn´t any higher up than the previous weeks. It is just that the ships superstructure is growing " higher up" you can see that easy when you compare the line underneath the future Rescue boats.

Greetings

Michael

O2Bcruisin,

I've been posting the pictures on the Solstice sticky above and the Inaugural Roll Call since September although I missed a few weeks while onboard Infinity. Take a look at the windows of the boat dock hall in the last two pictures posted. Some are not as visible because of the growing structure of the ship. I don't think we would see the bottom part of the windows if the ship had risen because the area was flooded. Perhaps some one with more knowledge about the shipbuilding process will advise us.

[ATTACH]75172[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]75173[/ATTACH]

BTW, there was no picture posted on March 24th and the March 17th picture was one year since the first blocks were laid.

Bonnie

I realize the superstructure is growing, but I wasn't using just the top of the ship as a reference. When I compare other features of the ship I noticed they all moved up.

I did see the Science Channel show about the build. It was very early in the process.

I was just suprised to see the ship afloat at this point of the construction cycle.

If I can figure it out I'll try to attach the two photos in a way to show the movement.

I realize the superstructure is growing, but I wasn't using just the top of the ship as a reference. When I compare other features of the ship I noticed they all moved up.

I did see the Science Channel show about the build. It was very early in the process.

I was just suprised to see the ship afloat at this point of the construction cycle.

If I can figure it out I'll try to attach the two photos in a way to show the movement.

I can see what you mean from the last two photos. The whole structure has moved up a little bit (not much though). I'm loving watching the building process. Puts my Lego efforts to shame!

Phil

If you look through the most forward green lift toward the bow of the ship and cover Phil's photo with your hand to keep your eye fixed over just that portion when that lift moves you will see the ship remains in place and has not been lifted.

What I think is creating an optical illusion is this railing system (reminds me of looking at a hospital bed railing) along side the build on the left that is raising up and down and giving the appearance of all things being lifted as it lifts.

Thanks for the pics Phil. It really shows what I've seen.

FinelyCruising-Rather than putting my hand over the picture, I just put my cursor over a point on the ship that was in both pictures. No matter which point I used, it always moved up.

I'm guessing they may have raised the ship to move some of the supports. I expect it will lower later on since they haven't painted it yet.

I don't want to drag this thread out, I just thought it was an interesting change to the construction pics.

Thanks to all for your inputs.

Archived