When can I book Princess lodge excursions?

inkmahm

I know I read somewhere that we can book excursions for when we are at the Princess lodges sometime before the cruisetour but I can't find when that is. Anyone know how many days in advance those excursions are open to be booked?

We just received our pre-cruise Answer Book from Princess. In there was the list of excursions. The instructions are to call Princess Tours at 1-800-426-0442 between 6AM & 9PM (Pac time) and have your booking number. Your credit card will be charged immediately. After calling, confirmed bookings will appear on your personalizer at princess.com.

I have not done this yet but that's the instructions.

I found the list of what was available some time ago on the princesslodges website.

I also read that you will be given info on the train/bus before arriving at the lodge.

We just received our pre-cruise Answer Book from Princess. In there was the list of excursions. The instructions are to call Princess Tours at 1-800-426-0442 between 6AM & 9PM (Pac time) and have your booking number. Your credit card will be charged immediately. After calling, confirmed bookings will appear on your personalizer at princess.com.

I have not done this yet but that's the instructions.

I found the list of what was available some time ago on the princesslodges website.

I also read that you will be given info on the train/bus before arriving at the lodge.

Thank you! How far in advance did you get the pre-cruise Answer Book? 90 days before your cruise ?

Is the list of what's available that is sent to you the same as what's on the Princesslodges website?

We're staying at the Kenai Princess, but not part of a tour package. Does anyone know if I can book by phone, too, or do I need to wait until we check in? Thanks.

If you are at the Kenai Princess independently, you must have your own car?? I suggest you just book direct and not bother with Princess for any tours.

The princesslodges site doesn't have times listed for the various tours and I'm sure all of them won't be available for each cruisetour depending on how much time is spent at each lodge. I guess we have to pick the ones we like and then just wait for the answerbook to come with the actual schedule of what is available for our particular trip. Unless there's another site that gives exact times for the various tours rather than just their length of time?

If you are at the Kenai Princess independently, you must have your own car?? I suggest you just book direct and not bother with Princess for any tours.

I booked all of our land excursions in the ports independently. For the land portion of the cruisetour though I planned to book through Princess. I think. There really isn't that much extra time to pick excursions to fill. Are there any particular independent excursions you recommend? (Other than the shuttle bus into Denali...)

I booked all of our land excursions in the ports independently. For the land portion of the cruisetour though I planned to book through Princess. I think. There really isn't that much extra time to pick excursions to fill. Are there any particular independent excursions you recommend? (Other than the shuttle bus into Denali...)

Sorry I was replying to Suzanne123 who is going independent. I wasn't clear. With a cruisetour, you are stuck with Princess tours since you don't have your own transportation.

Sorry I was replying to Suzanne123 who is going independent. I wasn't clear. With a cruisetour, you are stuck with Princess tours since you don't have your own transportation.

Ah, then let me change the question. Are there any of the Princess excursions that you recommned at Denali or McKinley lodges? Or even more importantly, any that you wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole?

The princesslodges site doesn't have times listed for the various tours and I'm sure all of them won't be available for each cruisetour depending on how much time is spent at each lodge. I guess we have to pick the ones we like and then just wait for the answerbook to come with the actual schedule of what is available for our particular trip. Unless there's another site that gives exact times for the various tours rather than just their length of time?

You can find out the times you'll be at each lodge on the Princess website. Go into your personal booking section (you have to know your booking number) and click on Itinerary and you'll see all the times for arrival and departure for both the land and sea portions of your cruisetour.

You can find out the times you'll be at each lodge on the Princess website. Go into your personal booking section (you have to know your booking number) and click on Itinerary and you'll see all the times for arrival and departure for both the land and sea portions of your cruisetour.

Yes, I know the times we'll be at the lodge. What I don't know is what are the times for the specific tours at the lodge. Not every cruisetour has the same arrival and departure times at the lodges so I'm assuming that just because an excursion is listed for the lodge, it isn't necessarily available to every Princess tour group due to timing. It's the timing of the tours that I'm looking for. As in, such and such tour runs from 2 pm to 5 pm instead of just knowing that it is a 3 hour tour.

Ah, then let me change the question. Are there any of the Princess excursions that you recommned at Denali or McKinley lodges? Or even more importantly, any that you wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole?

There aren't any tours available at the McKinley Lodge, this is totally isolated and many tours will be out of Talkeetna. Problem is, your timing. You won't want to consider any tours, that have you doing the 50 mile trip too many times. Highlight here are the McKinley flightseeing, which if a priority most likely will NOT be viewable from the ground. In my opinion, these are much better booked direct and understanding exactly what flightseeing and operator you are getting.

At Denali Park, the visitor center and ranger programs are excellent. Totally depends on how much free time you have??? With some cruisetours extremely little.

Inkmahm, I'm booked on a June cruisetour and I called in March, before receiving the documents from Princess. I just like having things booked as soon as possible and minimizing uncertainty. I called 800-426-0500 and gave them my booking numbers. I told them what days I wanted to do what activities and they gave me the times to choose from. You'll also have to give them your credit card number right then over the phone and you will be charged immediately for the excursion.

Then, right after talking to them on the phone and booking "voila!", the booked lodge excursions appeared right on my online Princess itinerary.

Check that one off my lengthy to-do list! Good luck.

Inkmahm, I'm booked on a June cruisetour and I called in March, before receiving the documents from Princess. I just like having things booked as soon as possible and minimizing uncertainty. I called 800-426-0500 and gave them my booking numbers. I told them what days I wanted to do what activities and they gave me the times to choose from. You'll also have to give them your credit card number right then over the phone and you will be charged immediately for the excursion.

Then, right after talking to them on the phone and booking "voila!", the booked lodge excursions appeared right on my online Princess itinerary.

Check that one off my lengthy to-do list! Good luck.

Hmmm... seems like it's inefficient to do it that way but still better than having to sign up on the train on the way to the lodge like we had to do in 2005! I think in 2005 we did horseback riding at McKinley and the helicopter tour. Also a boat tour on the morning we were leaving on the train, as I recall. That one we had to go to town for early. From Denali we did the tundra tour and a small plane to the summit (not in business anymore, unfortunately.)

BQ - Although I will have a car, I'm a fish widow that day as DH is going on a all day trip on the upper Kenai River. Kenai Princess has a tour to Seward and the Sealife Center, and I'd like to go with a group rather than drive alone. Do you know the local company Princess would use or do they use their own buses for this tour?

Thanks.

BQ - Although I will have a car, I'm a fish widow that day as DH is going on a all day trip on the upper Kenai River. Kenai Princess has a tour to Seward and the Sealife Center, and I'd like to go with a group rather than drive alone. Do you know the local company Princess would use or do they use their own buses for this tour?

Thanks.

They have chartered buses, use Alaska Heritage and only their National Park tour, Northwestern fjords trips not available.

I, too, am a Kenai fishing widow for July 22. The all day fishing trip shows the hours of 8:30am to 4:30pm. I booked the Seward trip for that same date through the 800 number mentioned above, and it shows the hours of 9am to 5pm, and includes the Sealife Center.

PS, as to the remark BQ made about no tours available for the McKinley lodge, I think she meant no independent tours as there are a couple of dozen tours listed on the Princess Lodges website - one of which we've booked.

One other thing - if you call the 800 number and reserve through them, the tours show up in your Personalizer Itinerary.

have fun planning,

Peggy

PS, as to the remark BQ made about no tours available for the McKinley lodge, I think she meant no independent tours as there are a couple of dozen tours listed on the Princess Lodges website - one of which we've booked.

One other thing - if you call the 800 number and reserve through them, the tours show up in your Personalizer Itinerary.

have fun planning,

Peggy

No, I mean there aren't really any tours, near the McKinley Lodge, most require long shuttles to the tour starts. If in Talkeetna, you are looking at an hour on the bus to get there. So tours that look good on paper, for hours, may only have a short time in the actual activity.

The Kayak trips at Beyers Lake is probably the closest tour available, but is so so at best in my opinion.

Can anyone look at the Answer book for 2008 and tell me if this one is available this year from Denali Princess Lodge?

SUMMIT MCKINLEY FLIGHT TOUR

Soar over the summit of Mt. McKinley. A pressurized twin-engine jet-prop plane carries you to the heights of Mt. McKinley and Mt. Foraker for a panorama of the Alaska Range and its glaciers. Hear the pilot's narration through your personal headset as you circle the summit of Mt. McKinley twice during the 60-minute flight! It's an experience you will never forget.

It's the one we took in 2005 but I know that vendor sold his plane and is out of business, I think as of 2007. I loved the pressurized plane and wanted to do this excursion again if it is still available in 2008.

Summit McKinley Flight Tour

Yes it is listed as a tour out of Denali.

doesn't say pressurized -- says comfort of a twin-engine aircraft.

It is 1 hr 15 min flight with a 1 hour transfer (meaning round trip)

$359 pp

There is also one listed from Talkeetna 1 1/2 hr flight $319, but says an oxygen mask is used. (I would guess that means the Denali one is pressurized, IMHO)

Summit McKinley Flight Tour

Yes it is listed as a tour out of Denali.

doesn't say pressurized -- says comfort of a twin-engine aircraft.

It is 1 hr 15 min flight with a 1 hour transfer (meaning round trip)

$359 pp

There is also one listed from Talkeetna 1 1/2 hr flight $319, but says an oxygen mask is used. (I would guess that means the Denali one is pressurized, IMHO)

I had my TA call Princess and they checked directly with Alaska people. The description online for the Denali one is wrong, it still says the pressurized plane. In reality, it is the twin engine plane where you have to wear the oxygen mask. Rats.

And the answer to the thread is that I can book them now for our August cruise. The TA calls Princess to get the times available after we look on the Princess website for what is available at each lodge.

I asked my inlaws what they wanted to do so we'll be doing the Airboat adventure at McKinley lodge and the Nenana Wilderness Run at Denali. The inlaws want to do the Horse Drawn Wagon at McKinley, too. We'll probably do the Wilderness Trail ride as I'd rather be ON the horse than just get pulled by one.

Now I just have to find out the available times and book them.

Archived