T/A, OBC and future cruise question...

This might be a touchy subject, but as I read other posts, I notice that some TA's give there clients OBC or other things. On this cruise, I'm only getting a bottle of wine, and that's after booking a group! I've booked approx. 10 groups with her and only end up with a bottle of wine, is there something wrong here??! Is it time for me to go elsewhere??

If that's why you book with that TA, then yes--you should go to a more generous TA! But, if you feel she gives good service, and the "gifts" aren't as important as the actual booking, then stay!

You could get your own OBC by booking your next cruise while on this one! Then, you wouldn't need a TA at all!

This might be a touchy subject, but as I read other posts, I notice that some TA's give there clients OBC or other things. On this cruise, I'm only getting a bottle of wine, and that's after booking a group! I've booked approx. 10 groups with her and only end up with a bottle of wine, is there something wrong here??! Is it time for me to go elsewhere??

Only you can answer that question. How is your service with your TA?

Only you can answer that question. How is your service with your TA?

It's ok/good... But come on now, after 10/15 cruises and GROUPS, you'd think we'd get more than just a bottle of wine! I wouldn't have noticed an issue until I started reading some posts where T/A's have given their clients $100, $200 and even $300 in OBC! I thought the bottle of wine was a nice gesture, but come on now, I can buy a few cases with $300!!!

Not all sailings will get the same amenities. Each week is different with accumulating points etc for groups.

Soem groups I get 100.00 obc= some get 50. some get none. Our next group is getting only $25.00pp (which is really 50 bucks per cabin)

Not all OBC comes from agents - some comes from the cruiselines.

If my agent gave me a better price then what I see online that I am happy and dont care what the OBC credit is

Not all sailings will get the same amenities. Each week is different with accumulating points etc for groups.

Soem groups I get 100.00 obc= some get 50. some get none. Our next group is getting only $25.00pp (which is really 50 bucks per cabin)

Not all OBC comes from agents - some comes from the cruiselines.

If my agent gave me a better price then what I see online that I am happy and dont care what the OBC credit is

The price I get from her are the same as the online prices.....

I used to work in family law and, unfortunately, was involved in many divorces. Whenever I began a case, I would speak with my client to find out their expectations (home, car, dining room table, the pink elephant knickknack, etc.). After finding out what the client wanted, I then told them that I would work to resolve the divorce and get them what they wanted. I also told them to not discuss the terms of the settlement with anyone unless the client wanted to be miserable. Why do you ask?

It always seems that the client's best friend, sister, aunt, or whoever would convince the client that the settlement was not good enough and that they could have "cleaned out" the other spouse, and that the settlement was unfair to them. This usually made the client unhappy.

My point is this . . . did you or are you getting what you wanted?? Has the TA given you everything that was promised. If so, then I say that the TA has fulfilled your expectations. The fact that other cruisers are getting better gifts or OBCs is irrelevant to the service that that TA is giving you. Try not to hold it against your TA for not giving you better gifts. After all, even the bottle of wine wasn't promised to you -- it is what it is -- a token of his/her appreciation -- a thank you. Please try to see the kindness of the TA.

However, now that you know that others are getting OBCs from their travel agents, if you want to revise your expectations in the future (i.e. expect OBCs from your travel agent), then by all means do so. Maybe even talk to your current TA and tell him/her, "You have done a great job in the past, but I have heard of other TA's that give OBC to their clients. Can you do the same?" Then based on that answer, you can either stay or go to another TA.

Just my humble opinion.

AC

I used to work in family law and, unfortunately, was involved in many divorces. Whenever I began a case, I would speak with my client to find out their expectations (home, car, dining room table, the pink elephant knickknack, etc.). After finding out what the client wanted, I then told them that I would work to resolve the divorce and get them what they wanted. I also told them to not discuss the terms of the settlement with anyone unless the client wanted to be miserable. Why do you ask?

It always seems that the client's best friend, sister, aunt, or whoever would convince the client that the settlement was not good enough and that they could have "cleaned out" the other spouse, and that the settlement was unfair to them. This usually made the client unhappy.

My point is this . . . did you or are you getting what you wanted?? Has the TA given you everything that was promised. If so, then I say that the TA has fulfilled your expectations. The fact that other cruisers are getting better gifts or OBCs is irrelevant to the service that that TA is giving you. Try not to hold it against your TA for not giving you better gifts. After all, even the bottle of wine wasn't promised to you -- it is what it is -- a token of his/her appreciation -- a thank you. Please try to see the kindness of the TA.

However, now that you know that others are getting OBCs from their travel agents, if you want to revise your expectations in the future (i.e. expect OBCs from your travel agent), then by all means do so. Maybe even talk to your current TA and tell him/her, "You have done a great job in the past, but I have heard of other TA's that give OBC to their clients. Can you do the same?" Then based on that answer, you can either stay or go to another TA.

Just my humble opinion.

AC

I did bring it to her attention.... I got another bottle of wine, no lie!

The price I get from her are the same as the online prices.....

for groups?? Do you set up your cruises ahead of time as a group or does each person book as individuals?

As others have said it´s really about expectations and service you get as in the old saying you get what you pay for.

I usually get some good deals and OBC from an online TA I use, but I´m well aware of the fact that this online agency only provides very basic service and doesn´t do much more than being the booking agency - period. They are very clear about this upfront btw.

It´s fine with me as I do all the legwork myself anyway and just need an agency to do the booking (can´t book with RCCL directly).

I'm not sure but, I think we've found the best of all worlds. On the cruise we are taking in 2 weeks we booked just about 1 year ago while onboard AOS. Earned $200 OBC from RCL for booking onboard (2 week cruise balcony). then returned home and transferred the booking to my internet TA (who is also a brick & mortar agency). Earned an additional $400 OBC (they rebate 9% of fare). She has faithfully redeemed coupons, quickly answers questions. etc. she's a happy camper & we have $750 OBC ($200 RCL, $400 TA, $150 Fuel Ripoff).

I'm with the OP I'd rather have OBC then wine or flowers.

Have you organized groups consisting of 30 - 70 plus people over 10 times with the same T/A???!

I would think if you book a minimum of 8 cabins you get one free berth. Many TA's use that to decrease everyone's cost down, or offer an OBC per cabin. If you are unhappy with her, there is no reason why you can't shop around. I was with a TA that knew less about RC than I did, and would tell me things like there are no residency discounts except for new bookings only. I knew that was not true, and also knew that I lost out on other price drops because of her insisting that all price drops were for new bookings only (I wasn't as savvy as I am now). Sooooo, though it was uncomfortable (TA is close friend of a friend), I had to make the break.

However, your TA doesn't sound obnoxious or anything, and does do her job. Does she give price drops when they occur? Not all TA's do honour RC's price drops. Does she respond quickly to your messages? Is she easy to reach? I do prefer personalized service myself.

I would think if you book a minimum of 8 cabins you get one free berth. Many TA's use that to decrease everyone's cost down, or offer an OBC per cabin. If you are unhappy with her, there is no reason why you can't shop around. I was with a TA that knew less about RC than I did, and would tell me things like there are no residency discounts except for new bookings only. I knew that was not true, and also knew that I lost out on other price drops because of her insisting that all price drops were for new bookings only (I wasn't as savvy as I am now). Sooooo, though it was uncomfortable (TA is close friend of a friend), I had to make the break.

However, your TA doesn't sound obnoxious or anything, and does do her job. Does she give price drops when they occur? Not all TA's do honour RC's price drops. Does she respond quickly to your messages? Is she easy to reach? I do prefer personalized service myself.

She's easy to reach, calls back, sticks up for you, etc.... But again, some $$$ would be nice!! ;)

....if you use a TA for the gifts, obc, etc. then find the TA that gives the best gifts. If you use a TA for the service they give, then find one that gives the best service. If you're like me, that has no use for what a TA offers, book it yourself.

Peter

klfhngr, there IS the issue of the group bookings. For every eight cabins you book in a group, one cruisefare (not cabin, not taxes, fees or port charges) is free/deducted/rebated.

If you are ALL (in a group of more than eight cabins) paying the same fare as is posted on RC's website, then your TA is POCKETING the free fare/rebate.

Ask him/her about this.

klfhngr, there IS the issue of the group bookings. For every eight cabins you book in a group, one cruisefare (not cabin, not taxes, fees or port charges) is free/deducted/rebated.

If you are ALL (in a group of more than eight cabins) paying the same fare as is posted on RC's website, then your TA is POCKETING the free fare/rebate.

Ask him/her about this.

What she said. That was what I was trying to say.;) You should definitely be getting SOMETHING back if you booked 8 cabins.

Ask him/her about this.

As I said on the OP's other thread about this very subject. There is nothing that says the TA has to give the berth to the pax. It's up to the TA has to how that is done.

But I have never heard of a group rate, being the same price as a normal rate.

Have you organized groups consisting of 30 - 70 plus people over 10 times with the same T/A???!

Nope. And I won't. My TA has been hard to work with from the beginning. Her office hours are now 10:00 to 3:00. And if I'm lucky, she may even be there then. If I had joined this board before I ever got started, I would have been much better off. I just thought this was the way TA's operated. Now I know better!

I've learned a lot on these boards. I "interviewed" by e-mail all of the online TAs who advertise with CC and selected one who would give me a generous OBC (and, mind you, I have the cheapest inside cabin). He will not charge me if I need to cancel (no problem now - hotel and plane res. made). He understands I will transfer my res. (which was made on board my prior cruise) to him at the last minute and that the sole purpose of this is to get OBC. He's happy and I'm happy. I do all the work (I'm a control freak anyway), so he really doesn't have to do anything unless some glitch should arise after I transfer to him. He comes highly recommended by someone who has used him before. (And he responds immediately when I e-mail him.)

From what you say, if I were in your situation, I would DEFINITELY get another TA.

I do all the research, but that's cuz I've been on so many cruises and I'm computer 'savy'.. She books, makes changes when necesary, etc. Will fight for us if price drops or she finds a cheaper rate elsewhere (usually I bring this to her attention)..... But you would think after with all these bookings and groups I'd get a little more. I'm curious as to how much her agency makes! This coming cruise, I don't have a large group, I think it's about 20 or so of us with 8 cabins or so.... And I get two bottles of whine ;) !! Oh well..

But are you getting the tour conductor? For most cruises for every 8 cabins sailed you should be getting the cruise rate (not fuel surcharge, port, government fees) back to you after the cruise. Also, some dates have points that can be used for amenities such as the OBC and some don't. The most popular dates have none.

I do all the research, but that's cuz I've been on so many cruises and I'm computer 'savy'.. She books, makes changes when necesary, etc. Will fight for us if price drops or she finds a cheaper rate elsewhere (usually I bring this to her attention)..... But you would think after with all these bookings and groups I'd get a little more. I'm curious as to how much her agency makes! This coming cruise, I don't have a large group, I think it's about 20 or so of us with 8 cabins or so.... And I get two bottles of whine ;) !! Oh well..

As others have said, I wonder about the TC. If you have a group of 8 cabins and they are under a group number ask her what she did with the money for the free berth. There may not have been any GAP points available especially if you didn't book fairly far out but the TC should have been there and you should either have received an OBC for that amount (without taxes/port charges) or a free berth.

I am a TA and usually stick up for them but this one is bothering me.

The other question I would ask you - do you actually have a group number and are not just cross referenced for dining?

Marilyn

Archived