Why Regent and other luxury lines are a good value

Since Regent is already at 700 on the Voyager and Mariner, 1000 is not that big a jump in order to maintain their current levels of service. I don't think it compares to Seabourn or even Silversea but that's just my opinion.

We were in Santorini last year - 4 ships in port, the Oceania Nautica being the smallest. A Pullman Tour ship, Ocean Village, and Splendor of The Seas. The place was so crowded, you could not walk the main street of Fira easily - and all the smokers from Spain were puffing away up the hill. However, the wait for the tram down the hill was almost an hour. The following day, there were 13 ships parked in the Caldera. I think that I would not have wanted to be in Santorini. After sailing mostly Regent for the last 7 years, I cannot see myself ever on a ship with more than 1000 passengers. We also did Hal's Amsterdam of 1200 passengers last May for a shorty up the Pacific Coast. We took a suite so we never had to wait. But, to be on that large a ship, nope - not in a lesser category cabin. Regent has truly spoiled us.

It all comes down to how one defines luxury, a thread which is very active here.

I couldn't agree more...some more vocal than others...:D

No one has to convince me that a smaller ship is more luxurious, the size alone exudes intimacy. Luxury is more in the mind than in material things around you, it is how you feel within yourself as well. Just being on a vacation with my husband is intimate, the surroundings matter little. I am sure those expensive ships may have higher end materials that it is built of, obviously the patrons are of higher end as well.

To me the cruise experience is what you make it. And it is different for each individual, no one should be influenced by anothers opinions. We all get a little something different from each experience. I don't think back and nit pick about could have been better with this dinner or that excursion, just an example: if I didn't have a good time, it was more than likely my own fault, because of my attitude or mood at the time. In other words no one makes you happy, you make yourself happy. If you 're not already happy with yourself, no one else will make you happy either. I believe that attitude holds true for most everything in life. That is why I have had great times on all 3 cruises (small as they may seem to some here), and even if on the most luxurious ship in the world, I could not have a better time or enjoy it more than I already have. I bring myself on each vacation, I can either make it or break it.

Denise, I don't disagree with what you are saying. I think that is a good philosophy in life. And with an attitude like that, one could surely have a great cruise on EasyCruises! Hey, we're not averse to going "low end" on vacations - we're big campers, and also enjoy going on bare-bones scuba diving trips where we all stay in a bunkhouse at the beach in Mexico. We have a great time.

But the main thing we're discussing in this thread is whether or not it's a "good value" to pay the additional dollars that the luxury cruises charge. Our bunkhouse scuba trips cost us less than $300 for a weeks' lodging for two. We don't have any less of a good time - but we certainly wouldn't pay $10,000 for it!

The fact is, if I'm going to shell out several thousand dollars to go to the same ports but on a luxury ship vs. a mass market ship, I expect to get something for my money. No attitude adjustment can erase bad service, or poor quality food, or long lines or impersonal crew or any of the other annoyances that ostensibly happen more frequently on mass-market cruises than on luxury cruises.

This is why I made my decision to take my next cruise on Celebrity. Given the prices I was finding for the particular itinerary I wanted, I just didn't think that the added benefits were worth it FOR ME, on THIS TRIP given THESE price differences. And given that I am paying the lower price, I'm fully expecting to have to deal with some of those mass-market irritants, and I will adjust my attitude accordingly.

But if I were to go ahead and spring for the luxury cruise, I would be far less tolerant of those kinds of annoyances. Otherwise, what ARE we paying for?

Kathy - we've been spoiled too! I WISH I could justify doing Regent on this next cruise...oh well, hopefully the one after that... :D

I disagree that there is a difference in service between the Cloud/Wind and Shadow/Whisper. I have had both excellent and inferior service on both sizes. I have never had anything but great service on Seabourn, although even there I had one cruise where misunderstandings led to poorer than usual response to requests in the dining room.

Considering that financial necessity for cruise lines to increase passenger count to make new ships viable I think Seabourn is doing the best they can by limiting it to 450. Silversea's new ships will carry 560 and I'm not sure how many Regent"s new one will carry. It is certainly my fervent hope that they all come up with a formula to give us what we most expect from a luxury cruise....SERVICE.

On Wind, lots of people knew our name when we had never seen them, so they were clearly memorizing photos. We had some of this on our 2nd Whisper cruise but not to the same level as Wind, and nobody did that on our first Whisper cruise. Yes, we loved our service on Whisper, but Wind was so intimate.

Seabourn has less guests than Wind, so I am not surprised it is intimate. I guess I shouldn't have used the word "better" because some guests tell me they don't want that level of intimate service when I make this arguement about Voyager's 700 vs. the smaller SS ships. I still love Voyager, and I enjoy all the added dining choices and amenities, and on both of my Regent cruises, I had great service 90% of the time, but it wasn't an intimate "boutique" type feeling.

When I started this thread I did not expect to see so much posting, I guess I hit a nerve. The point I was trying to make is no matter what I spend on a mass market line I can never get the food quality or variety or service I can get on a luxury line, we taking a TP 17 day cruise on RCCL May 7th if I book the Royal suite which is 1152SF and cost a fortune compared to the other rooms I'm still going to get the same just OK food and service as someone in the cheapest inside room. On luxury lines such as Regent yes I'm paying more but I'm getting much more and no matter what I pay on RCCL or other mass market lines I can never get what I desire, it's just not available at any price, which is fine if that is not important to you. :cool:

PS I know some lines like Princess have specialty dining where you pay a extra fee to get higher end meals, but they are only open for dinner and have limited or set menus on Regent I can get pretty much get anything I desire breakfast, lunch or dinner, and also don't have to pay $35 for an bottle of wine I can buy at Costco for 7 bucks.

Being you have sailed RCCL and luxury ships you can compare with experience. Our RCCL Mariner cruise was great. The service, food, and accomodations (balcony on 8th deck) was very good. I couldn't imagine the food we had prepared any better. The service was prompt, as ordered, and no waiting in long lines. Our balcony was nice, certainly enough room for the time spent in there, and the balcony was our own piece of seclusion. No ship is private, unless you are on a privately chartered cruise on a yacht. I cannot imagine spending thousands more for a cruise on a ship if I did not have to, it just doesn't make sense. There are still other people aboard, they just might be in a line before you are...so there you are waiting in a line. You may still not be seated in an area you prefer, your dinner may arrive not as you anticipated, you still have to get off the ship at a port that is not void of people...there are just not many reasons that make it a better VALUE...for the money.

Who knows, maybe someday I will have a change of heart. Not likely when I can take 5 cruises instead of one, but one never knows.

Denise, believe me - once you go on a luxury cruise, you will know what we are talking about. I'm not saying all luxury cruises are perfect - clearly they're not, as evidenced by the number of people who have posted of less-than-perfect experiences on luxury ships. But they ARE different products.

For example, you wrote this: "There are still other people aboard, they just might be in a line before you are...so there you are waiting in a line." You can't wait in a line if there IS no line. If you can walk up to the lunch buffet and immediately begin putting food on a plate, there's no line. If you can walk right up to the gangplank and board the ship at embarkation time, rather than stand in a looooong winding line for two-plus hours...see the difference? I don't recall ever waiting in any line on either of my Regent cruises. Whereas on my last RCCL cruise, I waited in lines all over the place...the buffets, to get on tenders, to get a drink at the bar...

But hey, I was where you are before I took my first Regent cruise. I'd already been on Carnival, RCCL and Celebrity, and couldn't imagine that it would be that much better.

Trust me, it was! :)

As for whether those differences are worth the money to you, that's a personal choice. On my past few cruises, the answer for me was yes. On this upcoming one, my answer is no.

Goldenrod, I don't disagree with you in principle - except that I'm not convinced you can't "luxe up" a mass-market cruise to at least make it closer to a luxury cruise experience...i.e. having butlers or concierge class, going to the specialty restaurants for your dinners, etc. Breakfast and lunch...yeah, ya got me there. But that gets somewhat negated if you are on a port-intensive cruise, and most of your lunches will be ashore. As for paying the high prices for wine...like the fees for the specialty restaurants, soft drinks, tips, and all the other nickel-&-diming, you just have to factor that in and see how it compares. For my upcoming cruise, even factoring in all the add-ons, it comes out a good five grand cheaper. That's not a small amount! That's why for this particular cruise, I'm going mass-market (or "Premium", as Celebrity is considered). In any case, I'm putting this "luxing up" concept to the test, so I'll let you know how it works out. ;)

It probably seems like I'm arguing both sides of the coin here...I'm really not! I just think that it's important to acknowledge the realities.

Being you have sailed RCCL and luxury ships you can compare with experience. Our RCCL Mariner cruise was great. The service, food, and accomodations (balcony on 8th deck) was very good. I couldn't imagine the food we had prepared any better. The service was prompt, as ordered, and no waiting in long lines. Our balcony was nice, certainly enough room for the time spent in there, and the balcony was our own piece of seclusion. No ship is private, unless you are on a privately chartered cruise on a yacht. I cannot imagine spending thousands more for a cruise on a ship if I did not have to, it just doesn't make sense. There are still other people aboard, they just might be in a line before you are...so there you are waiting in a line. You may still not be seated in an area you prefer, your dinner may arrive not as you anticipated, you still have to get off the ship at a port that is not void of people...there are just not many reasons that make it a better VALUE...for the money.

Who knows, maybe someday I will have a change of heart. Not likely when I can take 5 cruises instead of one, but one never knows.

One can make the same argument for what car one drives, the Ford focus is going to get me to the same place as the Lexus I drive and It will cost me about one third for the Ford. I want to be in my Lexus. Since you have not been on a luxury line It's hard to compare, we go on both and have been on 20 cruises total and there is definitely a difference just like there is between the Ford Focus and my Lexus LS 460 but if one never drove the Lexus and only drove the Ford they would have no basis for comparison and I don't believe would or could appreciate why one would pay three or four times more for the Lexus. Well Regent is the Lexus and RCCL is the Ford.

Good analogy, Goldenrod. Perhaps you, like me, drove that Ford for many years and have now worked you way up to the Lexus.

We go less often, but go first class when we cruise. I, too, have been on both (mass & the 3 luxes). When I was young, our vacations were few, short and cheap. Age must have some advantages. I keep looking for them, maybe this is one.

One can make the same argument for what car one drives, the Ford focus is going to get me to the same place as the Lexus I drive and It will cost me about one third for the Ford. I want to be in my Lexus. Since you have not been on a luxury line It's hard to compare, we go on both and have been on 20 cruises total and there is definitely a difference just like there is between the Ford Focus and my Lexus LS 460 but if one never drove the Lexus and only drove the Ford they would have no basis for comparison and I don't believe would or could appreciate why one would pay three or four times more for the Lexus. Well Regent is the Lexus and RCCL is the Ford.

Well...we cruised w/ RCCL a couple years ago, and will be w/ Regent next month. If RCCL is a Ford Focus, the next 30 days or so can't come fast enough. We're new to cruising as next month will make cruise #2. I'm looking forward to making the comparison.

It's a good analogy as long as you stick to comparing cars. I.e., as long as you don't equate "I drive a Lexus therefore I like luxury cruising". We drive a Subaru hatchback and love Regent, have never been on a mass market line, and, thank you, would rather not ever do so. If we economize, we take fewer cruises, and perhaps drop down to Oceania, but probably no further than that.

Oh, and we only drive our car on weekends to shop and trips to the cottage. Rest of the time we take public transit.

And our cottage is not luxurious hardly at all, although civilized. I used to be an avid hiker, and spent a lot of time in tents as well. And when we do land trips, we rarely stay in luxury hotels, mostly stick to B&B's or pensions, or in the States, funky motels.

Everybody has their own luxuries and economies.

As I posted early on, I am actually cruising on the Mariner of the Seas in August in a Grand Suite. My family of 4 is going for about the price of a single person on a 7 day Regent cruise.

I have serious concerns, having spent a day inspecting the Explorer of the Seas and feeling like I was trapped in a huge shopping mall. I am quite certain, having sampled the food, that it will not be of the same quality or nearly as personalized; even in the specialty restaurants. I am also certain that I may have OK dinners in the specialty restaurants, but they are not really set up to be intimate. I am also sure there will be the occasional line, which while not my cup of tea, won't bother me that much.

BUT I have no pretense of being able to lux up this cruise as I can easily do on Celebrity. The focus on Get Out There vs. Being Treated Like a Star is very much a part of the products.

I will let everyone know my feelings after my cruise in August.

After trying to get this thread to end twice (off-topic), I've changed my mind. Last night we talked with friends that are very excited about their NCL cruise (penthouse level I think) to Alaska that is sailing the same time as our Mariner cruise. The very last thing I would ever do is talk to them about the size of their ship (too large), the atmosphere (as described so well on this thread), food, etc. It was wonderful to see a couple so happy and excited about their cruise. . . Now I see that the bashing of mainstream cruise lines on the Regent thread. . . . is a good thing. Guess there is a reason for everything. . . .

Travelcat, your post brings up a couple of questions for me: Why on earth would you try to end this thread? Some of us are enjoying this discussion - which, as far as I've seen, has pretty much stayed on topic. The topic is whether or not the luxury lines are a good value as opposed to the mass-market lines. Hence, discussion of the pros and cons of both types of cruise lines is, it seems to me, on topic.

Second, what did you change your mind about? Sorry, but that wasn't clear to me...

Travelcat, your post brings up a couple of questions for me: Why on earth would you try to end this thread? Some of us are enjoying this discussion - which, as far as I've seen, has pretty much stayed on topic. The topic is whether or not the luxury lines are a good value as opposed to the mass-market lines. Hence, discussion of the pros and cons of both types of cruise lines is, it seems to me, on topic.

Second, what did you change your mind about? Sorry, but that wasn't clear to me...

I did not read this thread as including "............as opposed to the mass-market lines". I read it as whether or not luxury cruising was worth it. I have only been on CruiseCritic for 2-3 years -- just never observed a thread that compares mass-market to luxury cruise lines". Unfortunately, I don't have the "subject" of this thread in front of me, please let me know if I misread it. (Thanks:-)

Sorry if I was unclear as to why I changed my mind. First, I am not a proponent of bashing any cruise line. If you have read my reviews on the Voyager and Navigator, while I currently cruise only Regent, I try to give a balanced review of my experiences (ie. not a Regent cheerleader).

New cruisers (or new to Regent) may book a cruise and are excited about their upcoming experience (as my friends are with NCL). Some members of CruiseCritic unfairly criticize (bash) Regent and cause people to question why they have booked their Regent cruise (you can substitute "Regent" for any cruise line). This is a bit hard to explain.

Recent examples (not exact quotes): The food on the Navigator is not good. The Voyager (and/or Naviigator) have such severe vibration issues that it made a person ill. The service is not up to par. The employees are not happy.

Any of the above comments could be true on a particular cruise -- but are not general descriptions of Regent cruises (in my opinion).

Some posters go onto Regent boards with the intent to criticize Regent and promote their favorite cruise line (or in the case of TA's, possibly bring Regent passengers over to another line).

Some posts on this thread have shed a negative light on mass-market cruise lines. I believe this to be unfair -- comparing apples and oranges. There are some wonderful mass market cruises. . . however, many/most Regent customers have no interest in them (unless you have children -- another subject -- I have been on a Disney cruise and had a great time).

So, after doing my longest post. . . . I would be sad to have my friends read the posts on this thread (if they were on the NCL thread). What is the purpose of making someone feel badly about their choices (including you and your choice to sail Celebrity with your mom:-) After reading your posts, I had to check out Celebrity's new ship with Aqua Class. I think you and your mom will have an incredible time -- being on a new ship is amazing!!!!!

I did not read this thread as including "............as opposed to the mass-market lines". I read it as whether or not luxury cruising was worth it. I have only been on CruiseCritic for 2-3 years -- just never observed a thread that compares mass-market to luxury cruise lines". Unfortunately, I don't have the "subject" of this thread in front of me, please let me know if I misread it. (Thanks:-) [/Quote]

Weeelll...if you are going to discuss whether or not luxury lines are a good value, you kinda need something to compare them to, right? I mean...a good value compared to what? And what else would you compare them to if not the "other" lines? That was my interpretation, anyway...so IMO I would disagree that bringing up the mass-market lines in this thread was in any way off topic.

Of course, I've been a bit selfish in that regard...because for me, this discussion was very timely. I've been deep in the throes of making a decision that was dependent on whether or not I felt that the extra cost of a luxury cruise WAS a good value. And these discussions helped me tremendously. I'm still not convinced I made the right decision - I go back and forth - but certainly, it was great to talk about it and get others' opinions who have experience on both.

I'm not a proponent of bashing cruise lines either. I AM a proponent of open and honest discussions of our opinions and perspectives. I personally don't have any kind of agenda...other than trying to figure out where I want to go next, and on what ship, and how to best enjoy myself once I get there.

In any case, what are these boards for if not to share opinions and experiences? And...to fill the time in between cruises talking about them to death! :D

After reading your posts, I had to check out Celebrity's new ship with Aqua Class. I think you and your mom will have an incredible time -- being on a new ship is amazing!!!!!
I've never been on a new ship...I do hope they have the "kinks" worked out by the time we're on it. Luckily there are several cruises planned before ours...I just hope they get it finished in time. There's something a bit nerve-wracking about booking a cruise on a ship that's still under construction!

:) Folks-I hope this is not too off-topic but the thread topic prompted me to consider for myself what "value" do I place on "luxury" cruising. Currently I am trying to decide between HAL Oosterdamn & Navigator for Fall '09 Mediterranean cruise (just the DH and myself). We have cruised Regent before on the Paul Gaughin in 2003 and we thoroughly enjoed the small ship atmoshere with ZERO complaints and woul drate it our #1 cruise expereince.

However - we've also done HAL on tha Masdamn and felt the quality of the customer service and food was comperable to our Gaughin expereince rated it #2- albeit a larger ship-the Masdamn never really felt massive or mall-like.

Age distribution is NOT a factor or concern for us.

There is a significant difference in price however when you compare a 12 niter on the Oosterdamn (exclues alcohol, air and tips) and a similar itinerary on the Navigator. Given that Regent includes economy air , tips, and even with our past. pax. & early booking discount (for a category minimum balcony) the price still seems significantly higher on Regent leaving us wondering is a difference of about $4,000. per person. We're not regular consumers of alcohol other than the DH having an occasional glass of wine or a beer after an excursion.

With the economy the way it is w/ higher gas prices and overall higher cost for grocery & retial goods - I wish I could be convinced that $4K /pp extra for luxury cruising is a justified value.

• Any in-put is appreciated, many thanks all.:)
  • Could it be better to wait for a while to book hoping prices drop-we're not too picky about cabin location?
  • Can you think of any other possible costs-saving tips that could lower our pricing on Regent?

leah/RN

Prices don't really drop on Regent, except for the very odd sale on some itinerary that's not selling well--this is seldom the case in the Med, although you never know.

I can't comment on HAL, although I have heard it's very nice. The Paul Gauguin is my favourite ship. The Navigator is a good experience, an intimate ship, service comparable or better than the Gauguin, although without a lot of the special personalized ambience of the PG, nor the cultural entertainment extras--no amazing house band, no Gauguines, limited port-specific lectures, no focus on local food.

If you've truly factored-in everything, including the size of your HAL suite, I'd be tempted to try HAL. RSSC is pricing itself into the stratosphere right now.

I think this thread has been hugely helpful to many because it has been so open about what luxury is supposed to be and what price people are willing to pay for it.

If the service is consistently superior then that is a big factor for most. If it is not (whether it be faux sommeliers or inconsistent waiters or whatever), then that is a factor. One pays top dollar for consistency...and most read these Cruise CRITIC boards for honest comments, not sugar-coated "feel good" tales.

If what is included in the service is a factor, then that should be considered. Seabourn (for example) provides choices of top quality designer soaps, Molton Brown hair and bath products, drawn aromatherapy baths, French champagne, massage moments on deck, etc. Silversea does many similar things. Regent doesn't and apparently has even gone to generic "Regent" bath products. That is not bashing, it is a weighing of value. If I am going to pay $4,000 more per person, I want to know if I am getting these things or a similar product!

Regent has run its prices up to the highest in the industry. Example: August 2009 - One week on Navigator $5,495.00 in the lowest suite. One week on the brand new Seabourn Odyssey $5,180.00. There is no question that the Odyssey has far superior facilities and is state of the art with many dining venues, an indoor-outdoor spa, etc. How does one find the value in paying more for the Regent cruise? Again, it is not trying to push someone over to Seabourn; it is observing and discussing reality.

When I heard of the name change, the claims that the best service at sea (like the familiar Regent hotels) would be coming, I opined that Regent could never provide a similar product at sea. I was blasted and I was (unfortunately) correct. A couple of years ago I concluded that Regent was for sale...and the same "feel good" folks blasted me....and I was correct. When I saw the weekly expensive mailers (sometimes more than one "book" a week!) and I was convinced of the sale, and again criticized. Regent then ran up its prices and I was again blasted as being inaccurate because I reported it...but I was correct. All of these things come down to knowing who you are buying from and if you are going to receive what is being marketed (or if it is mere "puffery" or worse). In other words, are you going to received good "value" for your hard-earned dollar.

Radisson had a wonderful product, but a decision was made to change from more expensive European staff to Filipino staff...and then it failed to properly train them. Regent had great dining room service and now it suffers from inconsistency. What were fantastic tours (and a real bargain...a topic discussed long ago and now no more) have become less quality and more mundane. These all affect value and the weighing process.

What you read in my posts is not an effort to push someone to another line (and boy am I sick of that inaccurate slander). What you read is frustration and bewilderment. Regent cannot market and price itself at the top and then not produce, but still expect people to pay the highest tariffs in the business.

Regent is, unfortunately, losing its "value" and, obviously is, along with the economy, making people consider options that were...just a few months ago...unthinkable. This thread is a testament to it.

Now HAL vs. Regent for $8,000 in savings. HAL suites are very nice and all recently redone, so I am not sure what Regent's suites have over them in true the "quality of life" sense. HAL now has some open seating, so that is sort of a non-issue. Food may be a bit less quality, though. Drinks (at least for this inquirer) is not an issue. HAL generally doesn't have the "youth" or silly games issues. (Regent even "stole" the crew show from HAL...not a favorite of mine, but many seem to like it.) So, if the ports are similar (and, frankly, many cruise to go to specific ports...not the ship), I am kinda wondering what Regent is giving that HAL isn't.

Archived