Why Regent and other luxury lines are a good value

LeeAnne-Forget about the wine thing--they won't bother you. And Celebrity does have a very good wine list of its own. Solstice & Equinox are the "hot" ships now. Stop worrying and get excited. You made a great choice and have saved a lot on $$$.

All you guys are so smart. It's so fun to learn from your experiences....:D

I'm just waitin' to have some of these experiences. Can't afford these 'hot' ships right now, but a girl from Minnesota can dream, can't she?

Going to check into the Greece site, I'm sure there is so much to see there.

Here's what I think about the wine, and paying for all the extras.... the cruise is expensive enough and they should be all inclusive. All this additional expense of soda cards, paying a fee to enter the specialty restaurants on the ships, spa services, specialty this and thats...the list goes on (someone earlier said nickel and diming)...these are all the things a person goes on a cruise for, to be pampered for a few days, a week or more. It's too bad a person has to think of money at all during the cruise. This is how the ships really make money, it's a business, and they are good at it. It sure would be nice to have the wine on the ship, but then they would not be making money on it..a corkage fee is small change compared to buying the bottle from them. I spose it is expensive to have the wine shipped to your home from the country too. But there's a way have your wine and drink it too. We have never done anything like this, but would if we bought nice wines somewhere.

What I am picking up here is that on the luxury ships there are more all inclusives 'built in' already. That's my idea of a cruise holiday.

Minn, I could not agree with you more. We have loved the all-inclusive, or near so in the past, and hope to in the future, if we can foot the bill. Hope you get to try it at some point--we are so lucky to find ourselves in the lap of luxury once in a while in our lives! Such a treat.

We have cruised the Royal and Sky Suites on Celebrity many times and a done balcony suite on Navigator twice. Honestly it is not about price it is about the experience. 400 passengers instead of 2000. Being called by name by twenty staff members after two days and talking to the captain (who learns your name) everyday on Navigator, instead of reintroducing yourself to the Captains Club hostess everytime you meet her. Being friendly with the bartender on Century and getting a complimentary drink at the end of the week verses the Hotel manager on Navigator sending you a complimentary Johnny Walker Blue to your table at dinner because he strolls by and sees you.

I am Elite on Celebrity and enjoy taking by family on them often, but when I want to be treated well and enjoy a first class experience, I will take Regent again.

We have cruised the Royal and Sky Suites on Celebrity many times and a done balcony suite on Navigator twice. Honestly it is not about price it is about the experience. 400 passengers instead of 2000. Being called by name by twenty staff members after two days and talking to the captain (who learns your name) everyday on Navigator, instead of reintroducing yourself to the Captains Club hostess everytime you meet her. Being friendly with the bartender on Century and getting a complimentary drink at the end of the week verses the Hotel manager on Navigator sending you a complimentary Johnny Walker Blue to your table at dinner because he strolls by and sees you.

I am Elite on Celebrity and enjoy taking by family on them often, but when I want to be treated well and enjoy a first class experience, I will take Regent again.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The thing is, for some of us it IS about the price too. Believe me, I want that experience too...but is it worth 6 THOUSAND dollars to me right now? (Which is about the the price difference between these cruises - even factoring in all the extras!) Someday maybe I'll be in an income bracket where it wouldn't matter - and trust me, at that point I would go for the luxury every time. And when the price difference wasn't so significant, I sprang for it. But right now, with the cruises I'm comparing, I just can't just justify THAT much for the differences between these two experiences. And since this thread is about how the luxury lines are a good value...I think this is important to note.

Just a quickie about luggage limits and wine. . . U.S. citizens can't bring much alcohol into the country. . . . talk about strict limits:o
Well then, if Celebrity does confiscate my wine, you may very well see me at the airport sucking down my bottles of Brunello before I board!

I'll have to do some research to find out exactly the limits are. The last time I was in Europe (2005) I brought a bunch of bottles home with me in my carry-on rolling bag. Can't do THAT any more!

If faced with a designated supposed VIP (not sure what makes him/her that) bringing cases of wine aboard a 4 day cruise I would probably strongly question the private reserve argument and, probably better understand why there is a more absolute position being asserted by the line. You can only burn that bridge one time.

Regardless of the wine...I will not let one relatively minor thing (not bringing as much of the wine as I might want) make me not cruise on a particular line. With all the money you are saving, I bet you can find quite a few unique wines that even if a bit more expensive, will bring a smile to your face. It ain't perfect, but sitting in the Persian Gardens (which I love) and looking forward to a nice dinner in Blu after spending a day in one of the exotic ports with a purchased on board bottle of wine doesn't sound so shabby.

It was a 7 night cruise for 200 passengers, including a good percentage of their highest category suites. The "supposed" VIPs are the owner of the company, one with an extensive cellar. The posture of the line is that two bottles are permitted per stateroom. Since it was made a condition of the contract, as always, we did not book with X.

While it is fine that a wine policy would not deter you from cruising with X, it does matter to me. We can choose HAL and get what we consider a better overall experience and bring aboard the wines we enjoy as well as order others from their list which I prefer to Celebrity's offerings. And I don't enjoy structured dining times.

IMRE, X also has issues with properly maintaining their ships (they don't) and food and service have declined substantially. Coupled with their wine policy, there is not much to appeal to me. And I know from experience that cruising with 2800 others is not something I find enjoyable.

If saving money by cruising mass market works for you, that's a good decision for you to make. Frankly, I would prefer one luxury cruise every 2 years than 3 mass market cruises every year and there are many land resorts that are a better choice for what I prefer in a vacation. Staying in a great suite improves the experience, but only a bit. Everything else is the same once you step out that door.

Just a quickie about luggage limits and wine. . . U.S. citizens can't bring much alcohol into the country. . . . talk about strict limits:o

Come on, now. the US Government doesn't limit the amount you can bring in. You have to pay a duty on each bottle over the limit. I believe it is $0.10 (ten cents) per bottle.

This is not a HAL vs. Celebrity thread, but obviously you have very, very, strong opinions. Let me give you my perspective, though.

I have a client who is just finishing up a World Cruise on HAL...one of many. I was not his first TA - previously always in an Oceanview, but I was able to convince him of the benefits of a Veranda for such a long cruise. Eventually I was able to obtain a complimentary upgrade to a Suite. His update comments to me about the huge difference in service, accommodation, etc. have been fantastic. Which leads me to my point: What the heck had HAL been doing for him over the years of his prior World Cruises so that this one is THAT much better?

There are so many things about HAL that are not luxury, or even have the pretense of luxury. Other than on its newest ships the facilities are nothing special and, for example, their Pinnacle Grill is run from the same kitchen as their main dining room. As another example, there is nothing on HAL to compare to the spa facilities on Celebrity...which outshine BTW anything on Regent, Seabourn or Silversea. (As for maintenance, HAL's ships were so run down they just completed a hugely expensive revamp...which, BTW, was really an excellent job!...but things go in cycles; such as the huge 2006 Century refit, the Galaxy refit about to happen, etc.)

When I am on Celebrity people know me pretty quickly. Does the man at the pool grill? No. Michael's Club? Yes. My waiter? Yes. Specialty Restaurant? Yes. Steward? Yes. Am I that shallow to think that any of them are actually my best friend? It is nice, but it really isn't that important when defining luxury.

And, frankly, if I was that "hot" when dealing with my rep at Celebrity, I wouldn't expect to get snow in winter from him. (Heck, why should he go to bat for me with that kind of approach staring him in the face?)

In short, assessing luxury on a cruise should not be relegated to whether you can bring unlimited amounts of wine on the ship. To focus so vehemently on that singular thing makes me feel like I am, as I said, damned to the posts on the Celebrity board.

As for how often to cruise, I am with LeeAnne (and many others): As the quality of the near-luxury cruises improves, the ability to take two cruises versus one of the true luxury ones makes me look at where and how often I am going versus missing what for me is the primary point of travel: Experiences found in the ports. (Heck I can find good food, wine and service right where I live.)

I'll have to do some research to find out exactly the limits are. The last time I was in Europe (2005) I brought a bunch of bottles home with me in my carry-on rolling bag. Can't do THAT any more!

Leeann, the US customs officials don't care how many bottles of wine (or other booze) you bring home. We have brought literally cases before. Whether you have to pay duty (it's not that much) seems to depend on the mood of the customs official. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. We have brought home 2 cases of Brunello and paid no duty--and the customs official was aware of it. But sometimes they will make you pay. Never enough to deter us from bringing the wine home though.

Obviously you have to check it these days (I used to have a carryon that I could get a case of wine in).

This is not a HAL vs. Celebrity thread, but obviously you have very, very, strong opinions. Let me give you my perspective, though.

I have a client who is just finishing up a World Cruise on HAL...one of many. I was not his first TA - previously always in an Oceanview, but I was able to convince him of the benefits of a Veranda for such a long cruise. Eventually I was able to obtain a complimentary upgrade to a Suite. His update comments to me about the huge difference in service, accommodation, etc. have been fantastic. Which leads me to my point: What the heck had HAL been doing for him over the years of his prior World Cruises so that this one is THAT much better?

There are so many things about HAL that are not luxury, or even have the pretense of luxury. Other than on its newest ships the facilities are nothing special and, for example, their Pinnacle Grill is run from the same kitchen as their main dining room. As another example, there is nothing on HAL to compare to the spa facilities on Celebrity...which outshine BTW anything on Regent, Seabourn or Silversea. (As for maintenance, HAL's ships were so run down they just completed a hugely expensive revamp...which, BTW, was really an excellent job!...but things go in cycles; such as the huge 2006 Century refit, the Galaxy refit about to happen, etc.)

When I am on Celebrity people know me pretty quickly. Does the man at the pool grill? No. Michael's Club? Yes. My waiter? Yes. Specialty Restaurant? Yes. Steward? Yes. Am I that shallow to think that any of them are actually my best friend? It is nice, but it really isn't that important when defining luxury.

And, frankly, if I was that "hot" when dealing with my rep at Celebrity, I wouldn't expect to get snow in winter from him. (Heck, why should he go to bat for me with that kind of approach staring him in the face?)

In short, assessing luxury on a cruise should not be relegated to whether you can bring unlimited amounts of wine on the ship. To focus so vehemently on that singular thing makes me feel like I am, as I said, damned to the posts on the Celebrity board.

As for how often to cruise, I am with LeeAnne (and many others): As the quality of the near-luxury cruises improves, the ability to take two cruises versus one of the true luxury ones makes me look at where and how often I am going versus missing what for me is the primary point of travel: Experiences found in the ports. (Heck I can find good food, wine and service right where I live.)

Some things...

HAL is a really good mass market cruise line and if we sail with friends we prefer them over anything else. Food and service are really good...at least it was what we had received!

Pinnicale Grill may runs out of the same Kitchen, but is a seperate area with different chefs and cooking materials and ovens and food is prepaired as to order.

HAL's SA Deluxe Suite's run for a cheap $3k for a week, where Celebrity's Royal Suites run double (yes I know they are a bit bigger) a person.

HAL is very good value for money, while Celebrity cuts then into the luxury market price and my opinion is...then I rather sail on a true luxury ship!

Prada:

I took a quick look at your photos on the link you provide and notice that you only have photos of cruises on NCL. Have you ever cruised on one of the lux lines or Celebrity?

You say you have cruised on HAL (no photos), but there is much that the suite you refer to does not give you that you get on other lines, including Celebrity. BTW, if comparing a Royal Suite you might as well compare the Penthouse Suites on X as they are pricier too. In reality you need to compare apples to apples.

Even a Celebrity Suite (much smaller than a Royal Suite) is far nicer than a HAL Deluxe suite - separate bedroom, 2 42" flat screen tv, private computer, dining room, butler, etc. which are all absent from the HAL suite. All of those things speak of luxury; not what amounts to a larger cabin and not much else.

Come on, now. the US Government doesn't limit the amount you can bring in. You have to pay a duty on each bottle over the limit. I believe it is $0.10 (ten cents) per bottle.

Looked it up -- it is less than I thought -- just a bit complicated. The "tax" is $.21/bottle but there is 3% duty -- not a big deal in terms of money.

In terms of the Celebrity, HAL, etc., think there would be better input and comparative information on the boards associated with the cruise line (or the Celebrity, HAL websites). This, being a luxury thread, tends to make comparisons between mainstream and luxury cruising. A little too much apples to oranges.

It does not surprise me when cruisers who typically take mainstream cruises, take their first Regent, Silversea or Seabourn cruise. They are usually blown away and excited by the food, service, all-inclusivity and smaller ships. As TA's have stated in the last month or two. . . . the economy is not really hitting the luxury cruise business. When/if it does, there will be decisions to be made. . . hopefully the information on other boards will help with the decision.

Ironically, there are many posts in this thread by regular luxury cruisers stating that they are taking less, or alternatives to, luxury cruises because of the present pricing. Generally it is not going to affect the short term, but the long term, bookings. We shall see.

Even a Celebrity Suite (much smaller than a Royal Suite) is far nicer than a HAL Deluxe suite - separate bedroom, 2 42" flat screen tv, private computer, dining room, butler, etc. which are all absent from the HAL suite. All of those things speak of luxury; not what amounts to a larger cabin and not much else.

We travel as a couple and having two TVs and two rooms is not important to us. We find the suite amenities on HAL to be very much to our liking.

We generally book SB suites on HAL. "Not much else" includes:

• Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise
  • Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers
  • Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night
  • Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request
  • Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise
  • Cocktail party with ship officers
  • Priority boarding for tender ports of call
  • Special disembarkation service
  • Priority dining and seating requests
  • Exclusive daily breakfast service in the Pinnacle Grill for suite guests only
  • High tea service in suite on request
  • A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length
  • A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, wi-fi , no-host mini-bar and refreshments throughout the day. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

HAL also caters canapes and cocktail parties on our balcony upon request (at no charge for up to 8 guests for hot and cold canapes) and prints and delivers personalized invitations. There is no charge for DVD rentals which we order through the concierge and have delivered and picked up from our cabin. We utilize the laundry and dry cleaning daily and also our private restaurant for breakfast when not choosing to enjoy this on our balcony.

These features are very enjoyable to us and are preferable in our experience to having a butler.

I We are doing Celebrity Xpedition to the Galapagos because it seems the best available there. I got my documents yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. The folder was very nice, real leather as opposed to the last ones I got from Regent, and two good quality leather luggage tags. So we are off to a positive start.

RachelG, We've sailed on the Xpedition in the Galapagos and we had a wonderful time. I do agree that it's about the best in available there...but I do want to caution you that you will not find it comparable to Regent, Silversea or other Celebrity ships.

It is an expedition ship and does a fine job as one, but it is by no means a "luxury" ship. Also, the dining is much more limited because Ecuador requires, as a condition of sailing in the Galapagos, that they use local suppliers. We found the food good and enjoyed our meals, but it's not like the gourmet dining on Silversea or Regent.

I'm not trying to be negative, and I hope you'll accept this as it's intended. I'm just trying to do a little "expectation management" so you won't be disappointed. Cruising there on the Xpedition is a wonderful experience and I'm sure you will have a fantastic time.

Enjoy!!!

Eric, hey you asked...so here goes! There are a couple reasons I'm wine wining. :o One is simply the anti-authority rebellious teen that still resides somewhere within me - who are THEY to tell me what I can and cannot drink my own bedroom?!!! And who are they to INSIST that I only buy my alcoholic beverages from THEM?? *I* get to choose where I want to spend my money, thankyewverymuch! Can you imagine a hotel telling you that you can't drink your own beverages in your room, and have to buy it from them?

Further, the whole concept of them confiscating my bottles seems insulting and...yes...juvenile. It makes me feel as if they are lumping me in with the buffoons on the party-boats who try to get passed the ship's booze policies by packing cases of beer and boxed wine in their luggage and smugging rum by pouring it into plastic underwear (I am NOT making this up! :eek:) so they can get completely blitzed at the pool and win the beer-belly contests. All I want to do is to stately and serenely sip some fine wine on my balcony (in a crystal goblet, of course, wearing my designer duds and with my pinky well-extended...are we getting the picture yet?) ;) ;) I'm being sorta facetious...but then, to be honest...not completely!

But moving away from the whole "it's the principle" part of it...there's the simple fact that I truly do enjoy wine, and one of the best parts (to me) of visiting Italy is getting to drink the wines there. Due to luggage limits I won't be able to carry home nearly as many bottles as I'd like to...so I'd like to be able to buy them there, then drink a bunch of them on the ship. If they start confiscating them, I may not be able to carry them home at the end! You may end up finding me at Fiumicino sitting in the boarding lounge sucking down bottle after bottle of Brunello di Montalcino...

But I hear you that there are "ways" to get around it - and I will be asking you about this. I'm not particulary comfortable with the concept that I HAVE to find "ways" to get around a rule...but I'll do what's necessary. Hey, I'm making the leap...let's see if I can make this work. I'm a pretty flexible gal. :)

I totally agree with you and will think long and hard before booking on Celebrity for this reason. We sail on Princess quite often and, although I'm not sure what their stated policy is, we have never had a problem bringing as much wine as we wanted onboard at any port.

Their corkage fee, if I remember correctly, was $15.00, and there was no gratuity charged on it. You might be lucky, as we were on one occasion, and not get charged at all.

We've also brought a bottle of liquor onboard at embarkation in our suitcase (as I like to enjoy a mixed drink while my wife is getting ready for dinner) and this has never been a problem. I'm sure bringing liquor onboard at any other port would not be a problem either.

There are alternatives to Celebrity.

I go to Jamaica every couple of months usually - almost 80 resort stays since 1992. We have stayed at Royal Plantation 11 times and Half Moon a few and many other places, some not even there anymore. Lots of luxury to be had there. I've enjoyed the few places in France I've visited (including some of the Caribbean islands), but we have always had sort of the American cold shoulder from the French. vs. a warm reception from Jamaicans. I'd go to either any day, though.

I'm just wondering how much luxury will stay in ships as they get bigger and bigger and bigger. The comparison of Royal Plantation vs. Half Moon (77 rooms vs. a big resort) is like Silver Wind to Voyager, and then if you make that bigger and they eventually go up over 1000 guests, I expect the same - nobody knows you and you get a great room and wonderful food and exciting amenities, but it is not intimate. The boutique hotel feel of a small ship can't be beat for those that love personal service, and when ships get bigger, they won't be able to go to the tiny little special islands they do now. Of course the big ships are getting bigger w/ 5000 passenger ships coming out. It is sad to see all of this happening.

The cruise industry acknowledges that it is the motivation to build larger is the cost increases, especially with the weak dollar. Seabourn just put out a press release about zigging when everyone else is zagging on that very point.

The way the larger ships are going to attack the problem of lack of intimacy is, as Alan Goldstein of RCCL coined the term, "disegalitarianism"...sort of the Cunard Grill Class concept: separate lounge and increasingly superior dining experiences. Not the same as an intimate ship, but acknowledging intimacy's importance when discussing luxury.

As noted above, Celebrity on its newest ships has set out an area for only double cabins (no 3rd or 4ths) and a separate dining room. The concept being to segregate not only an area, but the types of passengers in that area (i.e. no children...in concept).

I do not know how successful these will work in drawing people from the luxury lines but that is not really their intent. The intent is to draw more people that would not otherwise cruise: The huge untapped market. (Moving around existing passengers is not terribly efficient if you want to grow an industry.)

Well, we will see. I don't know. I was blasted for what I thought was a balanced comparison of Silversea vs. Regent for service and intimacy. I am more used to the Voyager idea and experience now, and with 700 passengers, it wasn't at all the same, but I got more dining choices. That makes me want to alternate, as I have started doing, but bigger and bigger will break it all. On ships where there was already no intimacy, hey, lets get more waterslides and such, but on others ...

Most people that sail Regent, SS and Seabourn like the non class system. I did meet some people on Navigator that loved the class system on Cunard, but I wasn't totally convinced. That is not to say I wouldn't do it.

We are used to the selling point of nearly 1 to 1 staff to guest ratio, and we are not going to see that much longer

I can say that Seabourn is very much committed to that level of service and its new ships are "only" 450 pax. It just isn't possible, as you say, when the numbers of passengers are so high.

I tried QM2 and did enjoy the Queens Grill Lounge and Princess Grill, but it was like walking into another world when you left your segregated areas. It is a compromise, to be sure, and I felt it to be more Princess rather than say HAL or Celebrity, in those areas. For convenience I would do it again, but not for a luxury cruise.

I also agree that I enjoy the no class (as opposed to the absence of class;) ) system. I enjoy luxury; not elitism.

Even 450 will make a difference, especially those used to the current Seabourn offerings. I know there is a difference in the small vs. large ships on SS, and the 490 on Navigator was different from the 382 on SS and also different from the 700 on Navigator.

I disagree that there is a difference in service between the Cloud/Wind and Shadow/Whisper. I have had both excellent and inferior service on both sizes. I have never had anything but great service on Seabourn, although even there I had one cruise where misunderstandings led to poorer than usual response to requests in the dining room.

Considering that financial necessity for cruise lines to increase passenger count to make new ships viable I think Seabourn is doing the best they can by limiting it to 450. Silversea's new ships will carry 560 and I'm not sure how many Regent"s new one will carry. It is certainly my fervent hope that they all come up with a formula to give us what we most expect from a luxury cruise....SERVICE.

Archived