What Do You Do 3 Days Before You Cruise?

wizard-of-roz

Well, we're pretty sad. We don't sail our first cruise til December, but DW and I are already super-excited. When we went to see the TA about getting booked, I think DW pretty much floated home with me on a tether.

I asked for and received this book for Christmas:

http://*****.com/5qwklo

I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, and it's pretty good so far. It had a fold-out map of the Caribbean which we pinned up on our den wall. TA gave us a 2008 travel calender, which also got pinned up.

I can't imagine what shape we'll be in when its just 3 days to go. I'll be sure to come back and post! Maybe we should have an "Excitement-O-Meter" for our sigs, kinda like the US terrorism color chart thingy! "We're at Condition Orange folks! Packing has commenced!!!"

About 3 days before is when I'm reconfirming flights, transportation, and that sort of thing. I don't pack until the night before. I use a packing list so it's really easy and I'm pretty well assured to not forget something. That's also about the time I request suspension of newspaper and mail delivery.

dscruisin: Clever! Welcome to the boards and to the world of cruising. You soon will be a full fledged "junkie!"

Jus remember, the only cure for cruising is to have one booked and waiting in the ocean.

We become bright "red" when approaching ship! You're a very pale oragne right now.

Great book and the map is a good idea.

You're gonna love anticipation part of the experience. It makes it so much more fun!

jhannah: I knew someone would write-in and I would find it helpful. You've reminded me about the mailman! Thank you!

3 days before: pack suitcases

2 days before: get keys and emergency numbers to neighbor re looking

after the house and picking up mail

check all documents and necessary papers

gather meds and toiletries, cameras etc. and pack

1 day before: clean house, set lights and timers, turn off computer,

tvs, unplug microwave, turn off ringers on phones

set blinds, do the laundry, tell other neighbors we will

be away and to use our garbage pickup and keep an

eye on the house.

The Day lock up house - head for the ferry and take a deep breath

and let the excitement take over!

Aeryn: I look on-line, under "deck plans" and try to memorize the layout....it's really been helpful in finding various venues.

Yes, it is...

last time, I printed it in color...

I usually go to the 'ship tour' they all offer on embark day as well. I like to get on as soon as possible just to explore the ship and find everything...book extra cost resturant..cooking classes..wine tastings..etc..

We don't unplug our microwave although I can see why one might. We do turn off the icemaker in the freezer though. I've never figured out why hubby does that since it doesn't make ice if its full!

We usually lay out the stuff we are taking on the dining room table, 3 days before to make sure we have everything. Then hubby packs it the night before. He's a way better packer than I am!

In our neighborhood we had thieves who would phone the homes as

they stood by the door and if the phone rang and rang they knew that there was no-one home. Also being hard of hearing we have a really, really loud phone that can be heard outside and I want to spare my

neighbors from having to listen to the thing.

The police recommended either unplugging the phone or turning off the

ringers when away.

RE: unplugging the microwave - our fire marshall told us that it is wise

to unplug all electrical equipment possible because there have been

incidents of fires started from small appliances that were off but still

plugged in. Our microwave is 20 years old so I always unplug it too.

He also said not to leave those scented plug-ins as they

cause fires - as can night lights. We have most things plugged into

surge protection strips and just turn them off.

You really made me think about why I do these routines!

Re-checking what I have already packed...

make sure we have someone to come by and check on the kitty babies.

Stop mail.

Flip through brochure and try and memorize the lay out of the ship.

That's about it.

I guess we can do that tomorrow. for me it will be cleaning house and washing clothes so they will be clean for the cruise.

3 days before I would have my luggage packed and waiting at the door to go to the airport. Sometimes the last couple days are the hardest on me. I do a lot of going over all my plans to make sure everything is the way it should be.

Oh - I can hardly wait until we're 3 days away from the next cruise! At that point we'll be seeing San Diego on our pre-cruise stay.

Decide it is time for a diet! :D

unplugging the microwave - our fire marshall told us that it is wise

to unplug all electrical equipment possible because there have been

incidents of fires started from small appliances that were off but still

plugged in. Our microwave is 20 years old so I always unplug it too.

He also said not to leave those scented plug-ins as they

cause fires - as can night lights.

I knew about small appliances and the scented plug ins, but never heard about the night light thing. :eek:

We turn off our washing machine water and the timers on our lamps.

In our neighborhood we had thieves who would phone the homes as

they stood by the door and if the phone rang and rang they knew that there was no-one home. Also being hard of hearing we have a really, really loud phone that can be heard outside and I want to spare my

neighbors from having to listen to the thing.

The police recommended either unplugging the phone or turning off the

ringers when away.

Even if the ringer is off, won't the phone ring and ring and ring anyway, on the burglars end of the phone. :rolleyes:

juanita: Unplug microwave? Never done this before!!!!!

Oh yes, we do this too when we go away.

We've had lightning strike near the house (twice!! like within 50ft) and the last time it fried:

- microwave (!)

- treadmill

- VCR

- Dewalt battery charger

...and the transformer on the poll outside the house. Thank goodness we didn't have to pay for THAT!

So we always unplug everything when a storm rolls through, and of course if we were off on a big boat somewhere sipping margaritas and drinking Pitons, we couldn't very well do that. I'm going to invest in a lightning arrestor for our mains power box soonish.

Three days prior?

I start to panic that I've forgotten to pack something, that I've packed too much...blah..blah..blah. Take some things out...add other things, and on and on.

Don't have to worry much about turning things off and such. We have two dogs so always have a pet sitter who moves into our house in our absence.

On the other hand, that causes me to do a "to do list" on the computer to leave for the pet sitter...their food, their meds, their habits, the vet #'s, our cell #'s & email addys, our children's #'s should she have any questions, etc. And, to make sure the house is in perfect order since she will be moving in for as long as we're gone...and to make sure there's enough space in the fridge for her to put her food!

I usually tell my DW that I still have lots of time to pack. I travel frequently so packing is usually a last minute and a fairly quick process. DW, on the otherhand, likes to start packing early..about 5 days prior to departure.

Archived