Dumb question from a newbie

sabba

This may be a dumb question, but I've read a bunch of threads on WHY people bring bottled water, soda, etc on board with them.

But HOW do you do this? :confused:

Do you give the case of water or soda to the porters with your luggage? Do you put it in a suitcase or some other box or container?

Do you carry it on with you?

And if you do this, is it a bother to lug around until your room is ready?

We will be driving to the port, so we don't have to deal with airline limitations, etc.

I'm the packer/organizer in the family, and it would be great to hear how everyone else has handled this.

Thanks!!!! "Only" 202 days till we cruise!

C :)

Personally, I don't get this whole bottled water stuff. Seeing how it's been proven that most bottled water is just plain old filtered tap water, not anything better than what you have at your own home, I don't see why people pay the high prices for something you can get out of your own home tap. But to answer your question, people will take a case, slap a baggage tag on it and hand it over to the porters.

Some people use a rolling cooler to bring water and sodas onboard. My MIL has one from Lands End that looks just like a rolling suitcase, then you can request ice from the steward to keep it cold in your cabin.

Personally, I don't bring anything with me, I am too lazy to mess with it.

Thanks, everyone.

I am not sure if we will or will not bring any water/soda etc with us.

If we were flying, I wouldn't even consider it. But since we are driving to the port it becomes an option.

Also, our cabin is on deck 3.... by choice to try to avoid as much motion as possible since we don't know if we will be seasick or not...... so it might be more convenient to have a few bottles of water or soda in the cabin.

Hearing others' experiences with how to bring it on board will help us decide if it is worth it or not.

so keep the info coming.....

I have a small rolling suitcase that we filled up wih soda in Miami. It was no problem keeping up with until our room was ready. I will take a look at the Lands End rolling cooler the other poster talked about for next time. We didn't bring bottled water on, the water on board was great.

On my Vision cruise, we took my son's girlfriend along with us, and weren't sure what she'd have for luggage. We had an extra suitcase that we'd picked up for a few bucks at a yard sale, and took that with us when we went to pick her up. Well, it turned out that she was OK suitcase-wise, so we took her suitcase and put it inside the one we'd brought, and flew out to California that way. In the morning, I walked down the street to CVS, bought a 12 pack of his favorite soda, and another 12 of hers, and when I got back I put them inside the extra suitcase, and just sent it through to the ship with the rest of our luggage.

On the way home, we had no need for the extra suitcase, so we just left it behind in the cabin.

For me, the water in the Windjammer and the dining room was fine, but on my first RCCL cruise I noticed a strong odor and taste of chlorine in the tap water in my room. So I filled my wide-mouth water bottle up in the Windjammer (using a glass since they don't want you filling it straight from the machine for sanitary reasons), not from my bathroom tap.

We would NEVER bring heavy water onboard--the ship's water is fine to drink! (What do you think they cook with, and make coffee, tea...etc.. with?)

We don't drink excessive soda, either, so buying one now and again isn't a budget breaker!

You can put a luggage tag on your stuff, and they'll deliver.

I brought can sodas along and I put 1 each in a sandwhich sized ziploc bag and put them in between clothes in my luggage. In case the cans popped they were in the ziploc bags and wouldn't ruin my clothes. When I unpacked on the ship all 6 cans were still in tact. None of them popped or burst.

When we went on our 1st cruise March 30 this year and we were waiting at the terminal to check in, I saw this man carrying like 3 12pk of sodas. We took 6 bottles of water and just put it somewhere in our luggage. It was just dh and myself. I did not buy sodas on the ship (Voyager-RCI), but I think they were expensive enough, in my opinion and budget. If others think it won't break the bank, fine, but for me it was different, I just couldn't bring myself to pay whatever it was for a soda. The lemonade was just fine for dinner and I liked it.

Also, we put the water bottles in the small fridge that is in the cabin. We just asked the room attendant to remove the stuff they had in there. If you prefer water bottles then that's good; you could also fill them up again once you're done w/them. So maybe you wouldn't have to take that many. Anyway, enjoy your cruise!

We all drink lots of water and wondered how the water would be on board as we are fairly picky. The ship's water tasted great, so we ended up using our bottled water only for excursions. At the end of the cruise we had some left over and just left it in the cabin.

And now you have to worry that your water bottle is a number 3, 6 or 7. In case you didn't see the Today Show, they did a segment on chemicals in the plastic of your water bottles. Glass is a good alternative, unless you're packing something in your suitcase.

As far as sodas go, you can always pick up a couple in port and bring them back to your cabin. My son said the Cokes that he bought in port were better than what we have here because sugar was the second ingredient rather than corn syrup.

I think I bought 2 cans of Diet Coke on the ship $2.01 each including tip. Most of the time I drank ice water, except at breakfast I had juice and coffee and then a cappuccino after dinner.

On my Vision cruise, we took my son's girlfriend along with us, and weren't sure what she'd have for luggage. We had an extra suitcase that we'd picked up for a few bucks at a yard sale, and took that with us when we went to pick her up. Well, it turned out that she was OK suitcase-wise, so we took her suitcase and put it inside the one we'd brought, and flew out to California that way. In the morning, I walked down the street to CVS, bought a 12 pack of his favorite soda, and another 12 of hers, and when I got back I put them inside the extra suitcase, and just sent it through to the ship with the rest of our luggage.

On the way home, we had no need for the extra suitcase, so we just left it behind in the cabin.

Hmmm! That could work! I wouldn't have thought of getting an extremely cheap suitcase to carry on drinks and leaving it on the ship. I just might do that! Thanks!

I 2nd the idea of the extra suitcase. It's great to pack your soda and water in, stick a luggage tag on, and check it with the rest of your baggage at the pier. Then you don' t have to drag it around with you on the ship till you can get to your room.

Even better, is when you pack to come home, you have a whole empty suitcase for all the things you've collected (and purchased) during the week! :D

Thanks again, everyone. I love these boards because you learn so much.

The extra suitcase is a good idea. Might be a good way to get the dirty laundry home instead of mixing it in the other suitcases.

I like the idea of just bringing a few bottles and re-filling them. I do this at home, so why not on the ship. And if I'm one of the few that don't like the taste of the water on board, I can always buy some at the ports and bring it on as needed.

I hadn't seen that today show report. I'll have to look it up.

Thanks again!

I usually have a couple of bottles that I refill. I like really cold water and unless you are cruising a cold climate the ship's tap water usually not as cold as I like it. Sometimes in the Caribbean it's just plain hot coming out of the cold taps.

T extra bag always come in handy as last week ourtravelling companions kept using it as their luggage was always over 50 lbs. In FLL, we actually put a case of beer in it and checked it- our feelings were if they took it no big deal. We don't screw with sodas as we don't go through much and do carry a few bottle of water and and reuse the bottles as it's easier for us.

So I don't get flamed regarding my choice to reuse water bottles and hear about the media hype not to. Here are the facts:

When consumers choose to refill and reuse convenience-size plastic bottles, should they be concerned about potentially harmful bacteria?

Not if they clean their plastic bottles between uses just as they would other drinking containers. Plastics are by nature extremely sanitary materials, and plastic bottles are no more likely to harbor bacteria than other kinds of packaging or drinking containers. Bacteria thrive in warm, moist environments. Once bacteria have been introduced, virtually any drinking container (coffee mugs, drinking glasses, serving pitchers, etc.) becomes a suitable environment for bacterial growth.

Will a plastic bottle leach harmful substances into water if I reuse it?

Most convenience-size beverage bottles sold in the U.S. are made from polyethylene terephthalate (PET). The FDA has determined that PET meets standards for food-contact materials established by federal regulations and therefore permits the use of PET in food and beverage packaging for both single use and repeated use. FDA has evaluated test data that simulate long-term storage and that support repeated use.

I took a small padded soft-side cooler on with us on our last cruise. We took mostly sodas and a few bottles of water to take ashore with us. We checked it with our luggage when we arrived. When it arrived at our cabin, one of the Coke's (canned) had come open, it was empty and and everything was sticky. There wasn't any Coke puddled in the cooler, so it must have leaked out somewhere along the way. I shudder to think that it might have leaked on and in someone's luggage.:o So just make sure they are packed securely, I guess.

My sister is a MAJOR Dr. Pepper addict, cannot stand Mr. Pibb, and is at this moment searching how she can smuggle Dr. Pepper on board. Listening to her tirade is downright hilarious so maybe I can find ideas for her. :D

No need to smuggle. Tell her to buy as much as she wants, and bring it onboard! :)

Archived