Random Mariner questions...

Hi-New Cruiser here with a few questions. I'm sure these are redundant but I can't get the search option to work.

I'm so excited, our cruise is 3 weeks from today!!! Here's the questions:

1. Do the bathrooms have loud exhaust fans? I sleep with mine on at home that is pretty loud.

2. If no to #1, is the ocean loud? Do you sleep with the balcony door open?

3. How private is the balcony? Do you see your neighbors next door?

Thanks!!

We couldn't even hear the fan in our bathroom. It must come on with the light though, because there is no separate fan switch.

We liked to sleep with our balcony door open, and yes, we could hear the ocean. But, unfortunately, we had neighbors next to and below us that smoked, so late at night and very early in the morning, their smoke would drift in our door so we'd have to close it.

You cannot see between balconies, unless you lean over and look around the partition.

Hope this helps!! We loved the Mariner! You're going to have a great time!

We have not been on the Marnier but based on other RCI ships here are our observations:

Bathroom fan, I don't think I have ever noticed any sound; there is no separate switch for a fan just the light switch.

Ocean is quiet unless you happen to hit a storm in which case the rain noise would be noticeable if the door was open.

Despite efforts to have people keep the balcony doors closed to maintain air system balance, many of us do sleep with the door open.

Normally your neighbours cannot see into your balcony unless they peek their heads around the corner.

Hope this helps.

Kathy:)

1. Do the bathrooms have loud exhaust fans? I sleep with mine on at home that is pretty loud. Already answered above - they do not have exhaust fans with separate switch.

2. If no to #1, is the ocean loud? Do you sleep with the balcony door open?

Depend where your cabin is located. The higher the deck you are, the less you will hear it. Walk the promenade deck and with normal seas, you can hear it.

If I am not mistaken, most ships have a switch that shuts off your AC with balcony door open.

3. How private is the balcony? Do you see your neighbors next door?

Again, depends on location and which ship. In the aft cabins, you can see almost all of the balconies if you are an upper deck.

Actually, you really don't hear the ocean--you hear the wind!!!! (the water doesn't make noise unless waves are breaking onshore!)

If you're in the Caribbean, it'll get pretty humid in your room, if you leave the door open. The AC won't work while the door is ajar!

You balcony is private, in that you don't SHARE it. You or your neighbor can stand against the railing, turn their head, and see onto your balcony without much trouble. Most folks respect other's privacy.

A lot of people will pack a small fan so they have white noise.

About balcony privacy...when I saw our balcony for the first time when we sailed, I thought "wow, that's small and not very private." However, once you're out in the middle of the ocean, it doesn't seem that way at all -- you really come to love that space. (hard to explain) As far as privacy goes, it never was an issue. We rarely had neighbors out while we were. Another thing I love about the balcony is the view from inside your room. Even with the door closed, it's so nice to leave the curtains pulled open and have such a beautiful view all the time. :D

Our AC kicked off when we had the balcony door open -- I suppose to conserve energy. We had a nice breeze in there at night, so it wasn't too hot or humid. But, maybe it depends on the time of year, etc.

I too completely agree with needing that "white noise" to sleep. We are sailing with a balcony and I plan to leave the door open at night so I am PRAYING that we don't have neighbors out on their balcony smoking. I cannot handle cigarette smoke and that would really spoil it for me. I plan on bringing a little desk size fan also as we sleep with a big box fan on at night at home...

All the bathrooms are tied to a central exhaust system that is always running. It helps with air changes in the cabin.

We don't sleep with the balcony door open due to humidity, we like to have the AC running. Usually nothing to hear anyway.

I think the ocean makes plenty of white noise. People on their balconies smoking, though, interfered with that enjoyment. It was the only cruise where that was an issue.

As for privacy on balconies, I think that's questionable. You can see through the partitions (I'll qualify that remark later), and when you are up by the rail, if you look to the side, you can see onto the balconies by you. You don't have to be straining to see onto other balconies. The partitions aren't clear, but they let light through, and you can see there are people on the other side. The balconies are private enough to sit and read undisturbed. They are not private enough to hang out in your b-day suit without any risk of being seen.

Merionmom, thanks for pictures!!

Lioness.....thanks but no thanks, I'm already trying to drown out my hubby's snoring ;)

Thanks again everyone for responses!

rock the boat...what's roll call and how do i get there?

Anniversarygirl, if you go to cruise critic message boards, there is a catagory for roll calls. Click on RCL, find our ship click, then scroll down the threads to our cruise date. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks folks for all the responses. Bummer about the exhaust fans/lack of ocean noice, I need some kind of white noise!! Anyone know of anything small that I could pack?

My husband loves white noise and I bought him a noise machine from Brookstone for Christmas of 2007. He LOVES it - takes it everywhere and now it's hard to go to sleep without it. It was around $99 and worth every penny. I just checked their website - it is called Tranquil Moments Sound Therapy System and it now costs $129. They have a special right now and are giving a free sleep mask with purchase.

Archived