Leggings....in or out??

Bunti

If you wore them when they were once in fashion, you really shouldn't be wearing them this time around!

This is a great rule of thumb

It's a cute look; but cute's not a good look for most over-40's.

I do have one friend (my age - 50's) who is VERY tall with VERY thin legs who can pull it off.

I'll never wear them - too short, thighs too thick. :(

They didn't look good on me back then either.

I am still going to wear them dancing on my upcoming cruise. I will be out of town...nobody knows me...Not sure if I need to change my Dream Girls song theme to a FlashDance song though...LOL,

Coka

I don't know, but a bunch of the catalogs I've received the past few weeks all feature leggings on middle aged women, not just 20 somethings. They are with tunics and dresses. Some are ankle length and some are just below knee length. I have pairs of both types, and even one with lace at the bottom. I wear them with some of my dresses. I wear a pair of flats with these and it's just fine. I agree that they need to be black. There are many good pairs out there that stay matte black and don't turn shiny.

I see nothing wrong with anyone wearing them, just as long as it is with a dress, skirt, or tunic setup. No short shirts, though!

I am 45 and I'm not tall, but I am also not overweight, and when I wear leggings with a ballet flat with a nice tunic or dress, I get TONS of compliments. I think a lot of my friends are afraid to try them, but they always love them when they see them on me. I still follow the French who taught me how to wear them for my age.

I see the younger girls wearing them in a different way - with shorter skirts and different colors and that is totally inapppropriate for my age, but fashion and trends aren't only for the young. However, you do need to know how to wear them for your age, that is of utmost importance.

A lot of people talk about how leggings were worn in the eighties, and if you wore them that way now, that would be hideous, but that isn't the way they are meant to be worn now. The legging is back, but the Flashdance look is not, nor are purple or fuschia leggings with leg warmers (thank God).

And they may be deemed out after this season, so I'm enjoying them until that happens.

• 3 weeks later...
I am 45 and I'm not tall, but I am also not overweight, and when I wear leggings with a ballet flat with a nice tunic or dress, I get TONS of compliments. I think a lot of my friends are afraid to try them, but they always love them when they see them on me. I still follow the French who taught me how to wear them for my age.

I see the younger girls wearing them in a different way - with shorter skirts and different colors and that is totally inapppropriate for my age, but fashion and trends aren't only for the young. However, you do need to know how to wear them for your age, that is of utmost importance.

A lot of people talk about how leggings were worn in the eighties, and if you wore them that way now, that would be hideous, but that isn't the way they are meant to be worn now. The legging is back, but the Flashdance look is not, nor are purple or fuschia leggings with leg warmers (thank God).

And they may be deemed out after this season, so I'm enjoying them until that happens.

I have some flat (not shiny) black ones (capri length) that I will sometimes wear with a casual dress or skirt and flats. They are especially nice for travel. I think the look is cute and comfortable. I don't agree that this is the last season for this look. I think it will be around for a while. I guess we will find out.

Archived