Do your Laundry

BIG4YA

Does anyone know whether there is a self service laundry mat in Icy Strait or Hoonah? :confused: We will be taking a 14 cruise on RCCL in September and don't really have any plans while there.

I know on Carnival at least for the newer ships, they have laundry rooms on current floors. I haven't use them as I have only gone on 7 day cruises and haven't needed them yet.

You may want to check the cruise line your going with.

Skagway has a great laundry, easy to get to, located at State and 2nd. I always do laundry there. They open early and you can be done in a little over an hour. Also with a cheap cab, drop off service in Seward.

Skagway has a great laundry, easy to get to, located at State and 2nd. I always do laundry there. They open early and you can be done in a little over an hour. Also with a cheap cab, drop off service in Seward.

We have the long rail/bus excursion planned while in Skagway so we will not be able to do laundry there. We have been on Carnival twice and loved the availability of a laundry room. I was shocked when I found out the RCCL ships don't have laundry room. This is really bad now that the airline charging extra for a second bag. Does anyone know whether RCCL offers a laundry day special like carnival where they provide you a bag to put your clothes in and charge a flat rate.

There's a few Hoonah residents who occasionally post here, but no responses so far. But I've got to think, logically, there's something like a laundry. Machines are expensive to bring to a small village, and then you have no one to repair it when it breaks. And as another poster said, since the Hoonah harbor still has a vibrant fishing fleet, those guys need to wash their clothes. I'd look near the harbor, or even check with the harbor master--there may be machines in their building.

A laundromat just may not look like one, though. In a small village across the bay from Homer, a friend and I ate at the only open 'restaurant' which was a combo snack bar/laundry. It was very entertaining to read the many warning signs on the machines. No bullets in the pockets, no fish hooks, no washing with gasoline. This may turn out to be your most informative excursion! :D

We have the long rail/bus excursion planned while in Skagway so we will not be able to do laundry there. We have been on Carnival twice and loved the availability of a laundry room. I was shocked when I found out the RCCL ships don't have laundry room. This is really bad now that the airline charging extra for a second bag. Does anyone know whether RCCL offers a laundry day special like carnival where they provide you a bag to put your clothes in and charge a flat rate.

In 60+ cruises on RCI, I've only seen a laundry special once - in January on Mariner.

The harbor masters facility has showers and laundry facilities. Of course, you'll have to haul your laundry there...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It's a tender port and, what, a mile walk to town? Get one of those duffle bags with straps, I'd say.

In 60+ cruises on RCI, I've only seen a laundry special once - in January on Mariner.

Wow you have been on 60+ cruises on RCI? I have only cruise twice and both were on Carnival. Have you cruised on Carnival also?

This is for anyone to answer: What is the experience like on RCI vs Carnival that may make some prefer RCI? I am a little disappointed that RCI don't have a self serve laundry room w/iron on a ship that is doing a 14-day cruise. Also I read that you may not get a robe if to many diamond cruiser are on board. We had both on these things on our cruise with Carnival on 8-day cruise to the Caribbean

Wow you have been on 60+ cruises on RCI? I have only cruise twice and both were on Carnival. Have you cruised on Carnival also?

This is for anyone to answer: What is the experience like on RCI vs Carnival that may make some prefer RCI? I am a little disappointed that RCI don't have a self serve laundry room w/iron on a ship that is doing a 14-day cruise. Also I read that you may not get a robe if to many diamond cruiser are on board. We had both on these things on our cruise with Carnival on 8-day cruise to the Caribbean

The laundry thing doesn't bother me at all; in fact, I prefer it the lack of a laundry room. The ship's service is great and inexpensive. I spent 24 days at sea once and had no problem.

I've done a few Carnival cruises. The debate about the 2 can get lengthy and heated so I'd rather not go into it here. IMO, they are much more similar with they are different. Try posting on the RCI or Carnival boards for more opinions.

Robes only go to certain level guests (I think it's suite and D / D+), but you can always ask your cabin steward.

You're spending all that money to cruise to Alaska and you want to do WHAT with your time?

Laundry!

Oh dear!

For those who asked about fishermen doing laundry, frankly they don't. Not often. Live just live in their clothes until they get new clothes. No place to really shower on a fishing boat.

Haven't you heard about those Norwegian bachelor farmers? Well, the fishermen are about the same.

You're spending all that money to cruise to Alaska and you want to do WHAT with your time?

Laundry!

Oh dear!

For those who asked about fishermen doing laundry, frankly they don't. Not often. Live just live in their clothes until they get new clothes. No place to really shower on a fishing boat.

Haven't you heard about those Norwegian bachelor farmers? Well, the fishermen are about the same.

What a great answer PennyAgain! Actually I agree with you; however this time we're sailing on HAL AFTER 10 nights on our own inland...So between flying US Air with the one bag limit & our time inland; I'm actually going to take advantage of HAL's self service laundry. They also offer pressing, so that may be an option as well.

Now about RCCL and Celebrity. I've never missed not having self service laundry onboard. They always have had a special though with however much you can fit in a bag for one pre-set price. I've heard it's almost a game as to how much you can put into one bag...secret being: fold/roll compress everything and it's surprising how much goes in!

Bottom line: ENJOY ALASAKA...TAKE HOME DIRTY CLOTHES!!!!!!

Now about RCCL and Celebrity. I've never missed not having self service laundry onboard. They always have had a special though with however much you can fit in a bag for one pre-set price. I've heard it's almost a game as to how much you can put into one bag...secret being: fold/roll compress everything and it's surprising how much goes in!

I'd be interested to hear your RCI experience with laundry specials, because, IME they are very, very rare.

Not the ones I know and I know a lot of commercial fisherman here on the west coast. They do laundry anytime they are in port. Thats is why you will generally find coin-ops in coastal towns.

What a great answer PennyAgain! Actually I agree with you; however this time we're sailing on HAL AFTER 10 nights on our own inland...So between flying US Air with the one bag limit & our time inland; I'm actually going to take advantage of HAL's self service laundry. They also offer pressing, so that may be an option as well.

Not worried about taking home dirty clothes just didn't want to spend prices like $3.50 to get a clean pair of pants since we will be on vacation like 17 days in total. So a self serve laundry room on the ship would have be nice since you could put your stuff in and just go back to your room and chill. Now I would not go through a lot of hassle to do laundry at port with it seems like it maybe at ISP since it is a tender port.

I'm the early riser in the family so during the last cruise we did on Carnival I was able to hit the laundry room early before most people were up and about. Considering there were 4 of us traveling it was good to be able to do a few loads of wash with minimal fuss.

The DW & I have a trip planned for late July and I plan to visit the laundry mid-cruise since we'll be on the road for about 11 days. I normally start a couple of loads of wash and go for coffee while she sleeps in. We will each take 1 large suitecase and will likely share a 3rd midsized bag with some extra space left for whatever we pick on along the way. With the excursions and variability of the weather we are planning for 2-3 sets of clothes for most days and are undecided about the formal dinners. Dealing with 3 suitecases and a heavy camera bag is as much as I want to deal with going cross-country so if I can reduce the clothes packed by even 1/4 all the better!

Cheers

Chris in VA

Packing for a 14 day Alaska cruise is much different than packing for a 14 day Caribbean Cruise. LAYER LAYER LAYER has always been the word I've read. That includes much different type clothing than shorts and tank tops.... Don't think I'll be taking many shorts and tanks on this cruise.

On my last cruise in 2007 with RCCL we sent out some laundry, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of shorts and a t-shirt and the cost was around 30.00. WE aslo had to wait 2 days to get them back so considering the price we paid and the time we waited IMO it's well worth the time to do our own laundry.

WE will be doing our laundry in Skagway becasue we have a car rented there, it's not that we want to take home a bunch of clean clothes it's because we don't want to pack clothing for the entire 17 day vacation. And I would never consider wearing my clothes twice before washing them.

I don't know how some people are but I will never ever give RCCL 30.00 ever again to wash 5 pieces of clothing, I value my money that I work so hard to make to just throw it away like that. :rolleyes:

Not worried about taking home dirty clothes just didn't want to spend prices like $3.50 to get a clean pair of pants since we will be on vacation like 17 days in total. So a self serve laundry room on the ship would have be nice since you could put your stuff in and just go back to your room and chill. Now I would not go through a lot of hassle to do laundry at port with it seems like it maybe at ISP since it is a tender port.

Hey you two:o ....WE are doing some laundry in Vancouver as our hotel has a coin laundry, we figure we will have 2-3 days of clothing by then, and I can understand why you can't do it in Skagway. Hopefully you can find other means.

I've never experienced RCCL having a special for laundry and let me tell you those bags they give you for laundry are not to big...

I'm so picky about wearing clothing more than once unless it's outer pieces.

Good luck

Not the ones I know and I know a lot of commercial fisherman here on the west coast. They do laundry anytime they are in port. Thats is why you will generally find coin-ops in coastal towns.

Our Annie was cook on a fishing boat in the Gulf of Alaska and out to the Bering Sea before she got married. Cleanliness was not next to godlyness on her crew. Fresh water was in short supply when on the boat and the guys had better things to do than do laundry when they hit port. The only time they really cleaned up was when going home after the last trip out.

It goes without saying it was an adventure for her and she was not sorry to do the work as the men loved anything she cooked (and the shopping was great fun) but she was also glad to give it up for a life on land and a family.

Our Annie was cook on a fishing boat in the Gulf of Alaska and out to the Bering Sea before she got married. Cleanliness was not next to godlyness on her crew. Fresh water was in short supply when on the boat and the guys had better things to do than do laundry when they hit port. The only time they really cleaned up was when going home after the last trip out.

I am sorry that your Anne was on such a poor vessel. Our son has fished halibut in Gulf of Alaska. I personaly know 15 fishing boat owner/skippers and more than 50 commercial fisherman and to suggest that they wear thier clothes until they get new one is rediculous. They do launrdy on port days and there are coin ops close to the fish docks for this purpose; have a look the next time you go to Alaska.

Archived