Cruising with out credit cards?

monkeyrouge

My husband and I do not have credit cards because #1 we choose to be debt free (other than the small amount we have) and #2 we have bad/no credit to speak of and do not qualify for a credit card. A relative is paying for the cruise as a gift but we have to pay for extras on the ship (drinks, photos, ect). We do have a debit card but I am reading that those may be a bad idea to use. Do we have any other alternatives?

Don't worry... many people don't use credit cards. Some would even say you're smarter than some of us with a pile of credit card debt.

Cash works. You can also use traveller's cheques if you don't want to carry lots of cash... just deposit either at the Purser's desk. They'll drop a note under your door if you're running low on your money and ask you to deposit more, or leave you a check with your final bill if you don't spend all of it.

You can use a debit card, but there's lots of stories on these boards about holds and it tieing up the money in your checking account for a few days or more.

There's also a number of prepaid visa/mastercards floating around there too, but you'll be fine without one.

:) :) Yes, in this world you could get away from having a credit card, but look at it this way: We went out and got a CC that is for Frequent miles for an airlines. We never not pay it off in a month, so no interest has ever been charged. In fact soome times we over pay to buy things we want. Now you might think that is crazy but, we got our airfaire on our next cruise for nothing! Yes, we had to pay the airport taxes but now we are flying first class and we got our next miles by paying for the cruise on the CC. We made our large cash payment before the sailing, and then we out everything on the Card on the ship. It was already paid. Sure works for us. I love the miles, and it is just a go between for records for us. :o

Another option could be to open a seperate checking account and get a debitcard linked only to that account. Transfer the funds that you plan to put on your S&S card and for your cruise into that seperate account. Use that seperate debitcard for all of your expenses for the trip. That way your main account is not effected by the debitcard holds. Most major financial instituions offer many card types so that you can tell them apart. :rolleyes:

Another option could be to open a seperate checking account and get a debitcard linked only to that account. Transfer the funds that you plan to put on your S&S card and for your cruise into that seperate account. Use that seperate debitcard for all of your expenses for the trip. That way your main account is not effected by the debitcard holds. Most major financial instituions offer many card types so that you can tell them apart. :rolleyes:

I don't have and don't want a debit card ... but I understand that there are daily and/or transaction limits with them. So, one would need to do homework before counting on one for expenses both on and off the ship. Just my understanding, as I do not have first-hand knowledge.

There's also a number of prepaid visa/mastercards floating around there too, but you'll be fine without one.

Be careful with the prepaid cards, they won't take them if your name isn't printed on them. Also, you don't necessarily have to have credit card debt if you have credit cards, we have probably $100K in available credit on our cards with $0 balances on all, it's all a matter of how you handle them. :D

We too have a huge credit line and zero debt ... but the OP did indicate that, for whatever reasons, she would not qualify for a credit card.

I would suggest that the OP buy a wad of travelers checks (so as not to carry oodles of cash), and use those to secure the onboard account, and cash some at the front desk to cover tips and expenses on shore.

I know that the OP said that they don't qualify for a credit card but I wonder why so many people think that credit cards equal debt? We pay abosolutly everything that we can with our airline cards- groceries, gas and even my car payment. We pay our card off every single month. We have never had a balance and we haven't paid for airfare in a very long time. Just because you have credit cards does not mean that you have anymore debt then anyone else. Just use them wisely!:)

What cruise line were you on last week? Every line that I've cruised on, and that's most of them out there, do require at least a cash deposit of $250 per person when you first check in for your cruise. That can be paid via cash or traveler's check. Once you use up that amount, you are asked to go down to the purser's office and put more cash on account. If you don't, your card is "frozen" and you can't charge anything on board.

We used our debit card with no problems. We had it on file to pay our SeaPass card and also used it in Nassau to buy lunch.

If you feel like you need to, check with your bank first to make sure they won't put a freeze on it or anything.

Just to answer a question about why we think a credit card equals debt.....If you are using a credit card to buy something that you do not have the cash to pay for at the moment that is putting you in debt :) Simple as that. Yes you can responsibly use a credit card like many people do but there are those who do not use them wisely and those who might be tempted by them.

The reason I do not qualify for one is because I am a stay at home mother with no income of my own and because in my first marriage when I was very young my ex-husband and I were some of those people who used credit cards in a irresponsible manner :( Lesson learned. My DH also made some poor credit choices when he was a young single man so now he is playing catch up in the credit game.

I meant no offense to those who responsibly use credit cards :) Thank you all for your responses!

What cruise line were you on last week? Every line that I've cruised on, and that's most of them out there, do require at least a cash deposit of $250 per person when you first check in for your cruise. That can be paid via cash or traveler's check. Once you use up that amount, you are asked to go down to the purser's office and put more cash on account. If you don't, your card is "frozen" and you can't charge anything on board.

Wow! This is the first I've read this! Where have I been hiding??? lol! So when I get on board, I'm going to be "charged" $250 per person, even if I don't plan to spend a penny??? Then they'll give me a check for whatever is left over at the end of the cruise? So if I use my debit card for the deposit... the money will be taken out of my bank account and not available for the rest of my trip because it will be in a "check"... will I be able to cash that check somewhere when I get off the ship so I can use the cash on the way home?

Bev

I meant no offense to those who responsibly use credit cards :) Thank you all for your responses!

Hey, you do what you want! ;)

Wow! This is the first I've read this! Where have I been hiding??? lol! So when I get on board, I'm going to be "charged" $250 per person, even if I don't plan to spend a penny??? Then they'll give me a check for whatever is left over at the end of the cruise? So if I use my debit card for the deposit... the money will be taken out of my bank account and not available for the rest of my trip because it will be in a "check"... will I be able to cash that check somewhere when I get off the ship so I can use the cash on the way home?

If you use a debit card, I believe they just pre-approve you by making a temporary authorization. If you do not spend it, you don't actually get charged it.

One thing to remember about debit cards though is your max daily withdrawal limit. Your card could get frozen if it's exceeded. Let your bank know of your intentions before your cruise.

Bev

And you expect them to issue any credit to any expenses you may decide to charge?

See other posts regarding people not paying their bills......

On my last three cruises, I used one of my debit cards. I have two checking accounts, one with a credit union and another with a major bank.

The one with the major bank I really don't keep alot in it. But when I have an upcoming cruise, I just place what I need for the ship.

I also used cash only by going to the front desk and placing $300 on deposit. I was imformed that if the funds get low, they will call for additional cash. Since I'm not a big spender, I never receive such a call.

For my 14 day cruise in October, I'm using my tax rebate check as my account funds. I only expect to spend between $200 to $300 (my tips and my few foo foo drinks ) and get money back.

Happy sailing!!

Second time around and my 40th birthday cruise on the

MAASDAM

10/24/08-11/07/08

Hi Everyone,

OK - here are my opinions on the subject. I charge everything on a credit card. Why? Because I earn cruise points! You don't have to look at a credit card and think it's an omen to have one. As long as you have money in the bank to pay for the items you bought at the end of the month, no problem - at least for me it isn't. I don't have a debit card nor would I ever get one. Why? Too many problems with fraud (that I've seen). I pay my card off monthly so I'm debt-free. You also don't have to worry about carrying all that cash with you. Food for thought!

Laurie

• 2 weeks later...
Don't worry... many people don't use credit cards. Some would even say you're smarter than some of us with a pile of credit card debt.

Cash works. You can also use traveller's cheques if you don't want to carry lots of cash... just deposit either at the Purser's desk. They'll drop a note under your door if you're running low on your money and ask you to deposit more, or leave you a check with your final bill if you don't spend all of it.

You can use a debit card, but there's lots of stories on these boards about holds and it tieing up the money in your checking account for a few days or more.

What ever the OP decides.... I think one thing is important. When traveling no one knows what could happen. To be overseas / out of the country, with no access to additional funds other that those you brought with you is a risky idea. What happens if you are injured say, and need to pay more than you have in your pocket. :confused:

Guess one could always stick their hand out. :rolleyes: I would not want to be in that position. :(

There is some confusion around whether RC accept debits cards for onboard stuff , my inlaws were told no so have taken cash in the past . this time i have booked them in online with a debit card (although the Setsail pass states credit card) and so far so good , i also called RC to enquire and did not get a definative answer so have advised them to take cash as well . I can't understrand why RC would not take debit cards but beware there could be an issue

I have used a debit card on RCCL without a problem. As long as it has a mastercard or visa logo they will accept it. Now some banks still have debit cards without a logo, and that they will not accept.

There is some confusion around whether RC accept debits cards for onboard stuff , my inlaws were told no so have taken cash in the past . this time i have booked them in online with a debit card (although the Setsail pass states credit card) and so far so good , i also called RC to enquire and did not get a definative answer so have advised them to take cash as well . I can't understrand why RC would not take debit cards but beware there could be an issue

Archived