Tips for First Timers

OhioTraveling

Just a few tips that help a lot.

1.) Take an iron (they don't have them and they are priceless) They frown upon it of course, so back it well and when not in use put in suitcase. I am very careful with mine for good reason.

2.) Take a 6 foot extension cord. Sometimes I like to get ready in bathroom when hubby and son asleep. Can't plug in anything but razor in bathroom, so I use my 6 ft extension and plug it in and stretch to bathroom.

3.) Take soda if you don't like Coke products, usually flat on most ships.

4.) My favorite tip, when you pack leave EVERYTHING on hangers. When your bags arrive unzip pull out and hang-up, done unpacking in 4-5 minutes.

SS Doric 1976

Holland America 1995

RCCL 1996

Orient 1996

Princess 1997

Disney 1997

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 1998

RCCL Legend of the Seas 1998

RCCL Vision of the Seas 1999

Carnival 1999

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 2000

Carnival 2000

Holland America 2001

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 2001

Holland America 2002

NCL Sun 2002

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 2003

NCL 2006

NCL Star 2006

RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2007

NCL Majesty 2007

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 2008

NCL Spirit May 3 2008

NCL DREAM Sept 2008*

NCL Jewel June 3 2009*

My favorite tip, when you pack leave EVERYTHING on hangers. When your bags arrive unzip pull out and hang-up, done unpacking in 4-5 minutes.

I do this using wire hangers and put plastic dry cleaner bags over to prevent wrinkles. Toss the hangers for the trip home.

Please don't bring an iron they are available for your use in the laundry room:)

Jan

Just a few tips that help a lot.

1.) Take an iron (they don't have them and they are priceless) They frown upon it of course, so back it well and when not in use put in suitcase. I am very careful with mine for good reason.

2.) Take a 6 foot extension cord. Sometimes I like to get ready in bathroom when hubby and son asleep. Can't plug in anything but razor in bathroom, so I use my 6 ft extension and plug it in and stretch to bathroom.

3.) Take soda if you don't like Coke products, usually flat on most ships.

4.) My favorite tip, when you pack leave EVERYTHING on hangers. When your bags arrive unzip pull out and hang-up, done unpacking in 4-5 minutes.

SS Doric 1976

Holland America 1995

RCCL 1996

Orient 1996

Princess 1997

Disney 1997

Carnival 1999

Carnival 2000

Holland America 2001

Holland America 2002

NCL Sun 2002

NCL 2006

NCL Star 2006

NCL Majesty 2007

NCL Spirit May 3 2008

NCL DREAM Sept 2008*

NCL Jewel June 3 2009*

If you need an iron, then you're not really on vacation.

If you need to plug in something other than a razor in the bathroom, you're not really on vacation.

If you need to bring your own supplies for the duration, your not really on vacation.

If you have more outfits on hangars then there are formal nights...you're not really on vacation.

Enjoy your cruise!

Please don't EVER take an iron on the ship. The problem is not leaving the iron on and causing a fire, but it's the overload on the electrical system that can cause a fire. Wouldn't you feel bad if you were the reason for the worst thing that can happen on a ship, a fire!?

Please don't EVER take an iron on the ship. The problem is not leaving the iron on and causing a fire, but it's the overload on the electrical system that can cause a fire. Wouldn't you feel bad if you were the reason for the worst thing that can happen on a ship, a fire!?

I hope my hairdryer doesn't overload the electrical system. It sometimes dims the lights in my house when I use it.:rolleyes:

Sorry I got everyone so upset, but it won't overload the system, nothing you can bring can do that. As for fire, I don't worry about irons, think of dumping cigs in trash bins or kitchen fires. There are a 100 things that can start a fire on a ship. I have sailed on 32 cruises, and only Carnival gives you irons and RCCL has 2 for your use per deck. They don't want the majority bringing them for good reason, they can charge to press things. They will not take them away if they find them. I even had cabin stewards ask if I wanted an ironing board, AND some ships have the pull out boards in the vanity. As for weight from hangers, they only add about 3lbs per bag. I just leave a pair of jeans out to make-up the weight. Didn't mean to start a deal with everyone, just trying to help. A steamer works good too if you don't want to iron.

Happy Sailing

SS Doric 1976

Holland America 1995

Orient 1996

Princess 1997

Disney 1997

Carnival 1999

Carnival 2000

Holland America 2001

Holland America 2002

NCL Sun 2002

NCL 2006

NCL Star 2006

NCL Majesty 2007

NCL Spirit May 2008

NCL DREAM Sept 2008

NCL Jewel June 3 2009

3 lbs of hangers per bag? I just weighed myself with (2) 50-pack wire hangers on my floor scale and it weighed just under one pound....I must be missing something. I guess that is a hanger plus the weight of the clothing?

Sorry I got everyone so upset, but it won't overload the system, nothing you can bring can do that. As for fire, I don't worry about irons, think of dumping cigs in trash bins or kitchen fires. There are a 100 things that can start a fire on a ship. I have sailed on 32 cruises, and only Carnival gives you irons and RCCL has 2 for your use per deck. They don't want the majority bringing them for good reason, they can charge to press things. They will not take them away if they find them. I even had cabin stewards ask if I wanted an ironing board, AND some ships have the pull out boards in the vanity. As for weight from hangers, they only add about 3lbs per bag. I just leave a pair of jeans out to make-up the weight. Didn't mean to start a deal with everyone, just trying to help. A steamer works good too if you don't want to iron.

The danger from irons that concerns the cruise lines is the possibility that iron is either left on when the owner leaves the cabin or the power load.

Given the weight limits on airlines and the relatively low cost of cleaning and pressing on board, carrying an iron is not a good idea.

Speaking from experience on many cruises starting in the early 1980's we found that packing stuff like irons falls into the "when in doubt leave it out" rule of packing.

The wire hanger idea, however, is excellent because they are better in small closets and as W. T. says, it makes unpacking a real breeze.

In addition to the suggested 6 ft extension cord, also bring two adapters; a 3 prong to two prong adapter and on some ships and a US-European/British adapter.

Happy Sailing

NCL Spirit May 2008

NCL DREAM Sept 2008

NCL Jewel June 3 2009

Thank you for telling us which sailings you will be on ... we can now avoid them like the plague.

Oh, silly! An experienced cruiser surely knows better! If she says it's OK, then it must be OK!

Not good advice to post on the board for new cruisers! It's alwasy best to do whatever the "expert" cruisers here tell you to do!

:rolleyes:

Know what? I wear my formal clothes even if they have a wrinkle or two. I still look better than the people in their jeans!

A small steamer works as well or better and weighs less.

And, yes, if you're spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to cruise and something must be pressed, just PAY FOR IT or use the self-serve facilities on board.

DO NOT TAKE AN IRON. :mad:

If you need to plug in something other than a razor in the bathroom, you're not really on vacation.

If you need to bring your own supplies for the duration, your not really on vacation.

If you have more outfits on hangars then there are formal nights...you're not really on vacation.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks ehfl!! Defense rests.:D

Barry

One of the best tips I ever got from my first cruise was to bring a hanging shoe bag, the one with the pockets. You just hang it on the bathroom door and put your lotions and brushes and toothpaste, etc. and it saves you so much space.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know about everyone else, but I roll my clothes and they seem to have less wrinkles, but then again, I dont really pack anything that gets wrinkles...(bathing suits and Tanks). I got a ton of Sundresses that actually look good wrinkled Besides the person put it right when they said if you need an iron you are NOT on vacation. This will be my first cruise and I am super excited. MY only worry is that I will get sick. I am packing Equate Motion Sickness pills (they SEEM to work) and I am also buying Ginger Pills from a nutricional Store, do you think that will be all I need. I actually dont get sick unless I am looking out the back of a moving object. (like I am NOT a back seat person) Also wanted to know, does a box of wine count as one bottle or is that two bottles? Does the pool or hot tub every close? lets see....what else.....I know that you tip at the end, but has anyone been to dinner and others have left money and you did not? (I mean if you are sitting with strangers). Any advise is good advise.

Bringing an extension cord is a great idea. My husband and I can blow dry our hair in the bathroom while the children sleep. Thanks!

A lot of the time there is a receptacle near the desk also to use. I'll be damned if I'm packing an extension cord as we pack enough crap.

Accordingly, we're not big on packing duct tape, power strips, extension cords, irons - they are typically always available as our last cruise was Princess had four ironing boards in every laundy area (of course not allowed to bring with some exceptions of people that don't think the rules apply), shoe bags, bottled water, soda pop (no, it's not flat on the ship or just order the can), hangars (lets see 3# is about 6% if the 50# allowable on flights), over the door organizers, alarm clocks, laptops, dvd's, etc.

It's a vacation and we pack accordingly and every cruise we pack less and less. I don't want to pack mule everything around airports etc. so my overall advice is to try to pack too light and you'll never do it.....

In December, I took a lot of things that were recommended on these boards that I hadn't thought to take in the past. I'd sailed 5 times prior to discovering Cruise Critic. Know what? Didn't use most of them, including the power strip.

Seriously, do people haul so many electronics that they must plug in a half-dozen things every day?

Used the phone as an alarm and "nightlight" to see how to get to the bathroom. Didn't have to plug it in to recharge until the last day at sea. I certainly didn't need to use it to make calls.

DD and I each recharged our cameras on different nights.

If I had to take a laptop, a DVD player, music devices, playstation, etc., I think I'd just stay home! I can't find the time to do all the things I want to do on the ship or in ports. I sure as heck am not going to spend my time in the cabin playing video games or watching movies, or on the internet.

This time, the stupid power strips stays home!

Less is more! :D

My best tip for a first-timer is to not get hooked into going to the stupid shopping show or buying a book. Yes, it's full of coupons, but it equates to being trick or treating for adults (and for worthless trinkets) and the only stores in there are ones that pay a fee to the cruiselines to advertise for them.

And I always take a power strip. My family needs one, and some don't.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as motion sickness is concerned, I have a tendency to motion sickness. My first cruise was on the Viking Sun a long time ago. Things have changed a lot on cruise ships since then. I prefer to bring along wrist bands (the ones that use accupressure). I've rarely had a need for them on cruise ships for the past 7 years because the ship technology helps a lot with the the side to side motion that tends to cause motion sickness. Mostly I use them on tenders and snorkeling. I find it much better than drugs that tend to make you sleepy.

I dont know about everyone else, but I roll my clothes and they seem to have less wrinkles, but then again, I dont really pack anything that gets wrinkles...(bathing suits and Tanks). I got a ton of Sundresses that actually look good wrinkled Besides the person put it right when they said if you need an iron you are NOT on vacation. This will be my first cruise and I am super excited. MY only worry is that I will get sick. I am packing Equate Motion Sickness pills (they SEEM to work) and I am also buying Ginger Pills from a nutricional Store, do you think that will be all I need. I actually dont get sick unless I am looking out the back of a moving object. (like I am NOT a back seat person) Also wanted to know, does a box of wine count as one bottle or is that two bottles? Does the pool or hot tub every close? lets see....what else.....I know that you tip at the end, but has anyone been to dinner and others have left money and you did not? (I mean if you are sitting with strangers). Any advise is good advise.

Good news folks,

I didn't burn down the ship, and here's what is really funny----NCL saw the iron upon check-in and had ZERO problem with it. They spent 20 minutes about cigs. I asked cabin attend. and he said 50% of people bring irons or steamers---

Waterbaby, even though I had hangers a curling iron and an iron still had a rockin good time. Spent 17 hours a day having a blast with crew and new friends.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy your cruise!

ehfl that is a Mastercard commercial Thanks!!!!!:cool:

Archived