How far is it from JFK to Brooklyn Pier

fayebebe

I am looking to book Caribbean Princess in June, and I arrive into JFK at 11.20, I am quite concerned how long it will take to get from JFK to Brooklyn Pier, as I will need to clear immigration at JFK.:confused:

I am looking to book Caribbean Princess in June, and I arrive into JFK at 11.20, I am quite concerned how long it will take to get from JFK to Brooklyn Pier, as I will need to clear immigration at JFK.:confused:

Assuming you are going to grab a cab...it will probably take 25-30 minutes once you are on your way (with the usual caveats...depending on time of day, construction, etc).

My concern wouldn't be about getting from JFK to Brooklyn - I would be more concerned about taking an international flight from London to JFK that arrived at 11:20 on the day of embarkation. Assuming your flight is on time you should be ok, but any significant delay - say your flight being 3 hours late - is going to be pushing it, and wondering whether you will make the ship is not a way to start your trip. If at all possible, I would strongly recommend flying into NY at least one day before.

My concern wouldn't be about getting from JFK to Brooklyn - I would be more concerned about taking an international flight from London to JFK that arrived at 11:20 on the day of embarkation. Assuming your flight is on time you should be ok, but any significant delay - say your flight being 3 hours late - is going to be pushing it, and wondering whether you will make the ship is not a way to start your trip. If at all possible, I would strongly recommend flying into NY at least one day before.

You got all that from the OP? :)

At best, travel time from JFK to the cruise terminal in Brooklyn is around 40 minutes. Assume 50-60 minutes is normal, though, just to be on the safe side. Assuming an on-time arrival at 11:20 AM, you should be through immigration and customs no later than 1:00 PM. (It takes quite a bit longer for non-US citizens to clear than for US citizens.) If all goes according to plan, you should be at the ship by 2:00 PM.

You didn't mention the airline. But, terminal 4 (the old "International" terminal) gets very busy starting around 1:00 PM. Quite a few international flights arrive there around this time. Both AA and BA do not use terminal 4, so this problem would be avoided.

OK, maybe I assumed the day of embarkation part :) But since the OP said they were quite concerned about timing, I figured it was a safe assumption. If I'm wrong I will take it all back :)

And London?

Thanks for all the information so far, I was luckily enough to win the flight tickets from work, unfortunately the only flight I can get out is on the 22nd June, yes I am flying from London and with BA, so fingers crossed that I will not fly from Terminal 5,and arrive at my destination in time!:eek:

JFK to the Brooklyn pier is 20.67 miles (reference Mapquest), about 35 minutes drive time except during peak traffic periods.

Since sailaway is 5PM, you "should" be ok, barring any flight delays.

Can you overnight in NYC. It's a toddlin' town?:D

Thanks for all the information so far, I was luckily enough to win the flight tickets from work, unfortunately the only flight I can get out is on the 22nd June, yes I am flying from London and with BA, so fingers crossed that I will not fly from Terminal 5,and arrive at my destination in time!:eek:

Right now BA is still using Terminal 4 at LHR for the JFK flights.

You'll arrive at Terminal 7 at JFK, which is not the massive Terminal 4 that has been mentioned before.

Assuming that your flight arrives somewhat on time, I think you'll be okay.

Actual transfer or taxi time jfk to pier is 35-40 minute, once you have collected your luggage at baggage claim and either gotten into a cab or on a mortorcoach-I have to agree, 11:20 is a reach with an international flight(customs)- area can be unpredictable and somewhat unnerving as far as traffic, actual distance is approx 18 miles.

• 7 years later...

Is it better to just fly into LaGuardia, rather than JFK for a Princess cruise out of Pier 12? At this point, I have my choice but would prefer the closest to the pier.

Do you know of a nice, clean hotel near LaGuradia?

Edited by Joye

Pier 12 is the pier number for the Brooklyn cruise terminal.

LGA is definitely a straighter shot to and from the terminal than JFK. Last time I disembarked there it took a private car service an hour to get to JFK on a Saturday morning. Good to know that seven years ago it was only expected to be a 30-40 minute drive.

Edited by fishywood

We use a car service when we are in NY both to/from the ship.

Our flights in are a red eye and the flight out is around 3pm so it does not matter for us if the traffics bad. We book the airport thats the cheapest.

If we have to use EWR we will go there too.

We have flown in/out of all 3.

Is it better to just fly into LaGuardia, rather than JFK for a Princess cruise out of Pier 12? At this point, I have my choice but would prefer the closest to the pier.

Last October we flew into JFK because it offered the best price & flight options from LAX. We arrived on a Friday afternoon & prebooked a car from Carmel which using their $4 online discount coupon cost $37 & took about 45-60 minutes. We stayed near the Brooklyn cruise terminal at the Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal hotel. It was fine for an overnight before boarding the ship and included a free buffet breakfast & a free short shuttle van ride to the ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

JFK to the Brooklyn pier is 20.67 miles (reference Mapquest), about 35 minutes drive time except during peak traffic periods.

Since sailaway is 5PM, you "should" be ok, barring any flight delays.

Can you overnight in NYC. It's a toddlin' town?:D

Traffic on Belt Parkway can appear out of nowhere. And it can be brutal. Taking city streets is not very productive either. And then there's always congestion/traffic on Gowanus, right around the area where you have to exit the highway to go to port.

I would say 1 hour travel is minimum, especially on a weekend.

This is not Houston, 20 miles in NYC is a test of patience. :)

Funny how threads have a life, the OP was back in 2008

This is why I hate doing a search. It brings up every thread that includes any of the search words you use and always brings up old threads. Some threads are outdated so the information is wrong.

The CB hasn't sailed out of Brooklyn in June for some time now.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I haven't used it in a while, the Pan American was always a clean, reasonably priced (for NYC) hotel with free pick up from LGA. 718-446-7676

I haven't used it in a while, the Pan American was always a clean, reasonably priced (for NYC) hotel with free pick up from LGA. 718-446-7676

Was just about to post "But that airline is not in business"...

I need coffee...