What would you do?

jordanaire

My son and his girlfriend are currently sailing aboard the Inspiration. They spent today in Grand Cayman. During the last hours there, they stopped into Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville for drinks. They ordered a strawberry margarita and a Coke. They finished their drinks, then headed for the ship.

While getting ready for dinner, my son came across the receipt for the drinks and found that they had been charged $105.70! It should have been $10.57!! It appears as though he signed the wrong bill! He's devistated about this, as it deeply cuts into his wallet and may have a tough time getting home from Tampa now!

I called the restaurant from here, in Kentucky, and explained the situation, but I was told that the restaurant crew that served him had left for the day. They checked and sure enough, he had signed the wrong bill and there was nothing that they could do about it!

What other recourse might my son have? What a mess!

:confused: Bill

I do not know but........Would it really matter which one he signed?? If he signed a slip that was not for his account then the BIG question is what did they charge to his account?? 10.50, 105.70....or something else :confused: :confused: . Does the slip he signed have his account number - or a different account number.

I agree a call to the credit card company may solve the whole thing.

It is going to depend on what slip he signed. If he signed the slip for his own account number, then disputing it with the credit card company probably won't do anything because all the restaurant has to do is produce the credit card slip for his account that he signed.

I do not know but........Would it really matter which one he signed?? If he signed a slip that was not for his account then the BIG question is what did they charge to his account?? 10.50, 105.70....or something else :confused: :confused: . Does the slip he signed have his account number - or a different account number.

I agree a call to the credit card company may solve the whole thing.

This is what I was thinking. Did they run the charge for the wrong slip? Sounds fishy, and I dont mean the OP

Dispute with Credit card company..

But.. I dont want to be disrespectful to the op, but.. an overcharge of $95 +/-.. should not leave someone stranded on a trip.. If need be the OP can wire money for his arrival in Tampa...

It is going to depend on what slip he signed. If he signed the slip for his own account number, then disputing it with the credit card company probably won't do anything because all the restaurant has to do is produce the credit card slip for his account that he signed.

That is EXACTLY what happened to us and our S&S account on one of our cruises :mad: .

DH ordered a drink in the show lounge - by the time they came around with the slips to sign of course it was dark :rolleyes: . DH signed the slip and later....when he was putting the receipt with the others....he noticed that she charged him for a double :eek: .

We went to the pursers desk - and 2 days later they produced a copy of the charge with his signature and basically said you signed for it! They did not care that it was not what he ordered or received.

Now we check and double check before we sign for anything!!

Agree with some above posters, it doesn't matter what servers where there! Talk to a manager and figure it out! and figure out if he signed the wrong persons slip or if they rang it up wrong. but try not to let him talk to you while he's on the cruise. If a 105 bill for dinner and drinks shocks him, imagine his surprise when he sees his phone bill for calling you from a diff. country or from the cruise ship!!

Having ben in the restraunt/bar business for a while I'll say that most likely if he signed a receipt for 105$ there is essentially nothing that can be done threw the credit card company. if it is signed on the wrong acct then it should get worked out but thats probably your only shot. Your most likely shot for recousre would be to bug the management of the restraunt and work your way up the chain to the higher levels and even then id say its slim best of luck

as ther is only a "O" differance, makes me believe it is in PESOS..why would a foreign country have an American cash register/cc swiper in US$'s ? The menue prices are in pesos also, the exchange is around 10.xx to almost 11.00 per peso..alot of the shops post that on the door, but being Mexico, do't have it ring up in dollars. hopefully it is this fact. When I get a receipt for a large purchase, it is in local currency, theirs..and i ask them to convert, and sign it for me..never a prob..Hope all comes out well for OP in this matter.

as ther is only a "O" differance, makes me believe it is in PESOS..why would a foreign country have an American cash register/cc swiper in US$'s ? The menue prices are in pesos also, the exchange is around 10.xx to almost 11.00 per peso..alot of the shops post that on the door, but being Mexico, do't have it ring up in dollars. hopefully it is this fact. When I get a receipt for a large purchase, it is in local currency, theirs..and i ask them to convert, and sign it for me..never a prob..Hope all comes out well for OP in this matter.

The OP said their son was in GRAND CAYMAN not Mexico. The bill will be in Grand Cayman dollars.

Which amount did he sign for? If he signed for the full amount on the receipt there is nothing to dispute, the credit card company will request a signed slip from the merchant and once they have it,:( they will close the inquiry.

By the way OP, we travelled with you on your last cruise on the Freedom and were very sorry to hear what happened with your luggage being lost and all, however we are also glad it showed up and you had a great time. Just sorry we did not meet you and your wife at the meet & greet after the drill.:)

Since the only difference is that '0' at the end, it could very well be an error when they keyed it into the machine. We had no problems in Grand Cayman & we spend 10 days there.

If it were me, I would dispute it with the credit card company. Yeah, I know he signed the slip, but still I would go to the credit card company.

The bar should be able to correct this themselves - perhaps the manager wanted to verify with the waiter that y'all didn't really spend $105.70. I know GC is higher than US, but I'm pretty sure it's not 10 times higher. The last time we were there it may have been around 25% higher, but that was years ago.

Archived