What would you do?

jordanaire

as ther is only a "O" differance, makes me believe it is in PESOS..why would a foreign country have an American cash register/cc swiper in US$'s ? The menue prices are in pesos also, the exchange is around 10.xx to almost 11.00 per peso..alot of the shops post that on the door, but being Mexico, do't have it ring up in dollars. hopefully it is this fact. When I get a receipt for a large purchase, it is in local currency, theirs..and i ask them to convert, and sign it for me..never a prob..Hope all comes out well for OP in this matter.

Grand Cayman is on of very few ports if any in the Caribbean that there currency is worth more than American Dollars.. The whole pesos rule does not apply at all here.

Best bet is to dispute the charges with the credit card company at the same time as disputing it with the bar. Also double check that the reciept he sign was actually his (credit card number). Does he have the itemized reciept?

Just because he signed the wrong bill doesn't mean that his credit card was charged the 102.00, have him call or check his Charge Card online and see if they actually charged the 10.57 or so.

If they really charged the whole 102.00 then have the credit card company handle it. They will transfer him/her to the Credit Card Fraud department and they can investigate it and adjust the charges there.

Fred

OP- A very similar situation happened to me, and I called my bank and disputed the charge and they immediately refunded the charge and began an investigation.

If the bank had discovered it was my error (which it was not), they would have taken the money back out of my account, but thier investigation proved that I was in the right so I got my money back and had no problemo's! :)

If your son disputes the charge the bank will ask the restaurant to provide a signature slip showing that he signed for the amount they charged him. If he didn't sign for that amount he should be in good shape.

I own a nightclub. This is silly - we refund credit cards all the time. I'm sure the mgr just needs to verify with the staff that the customer ordered what he said he ordered and that they made a mistake. Then they issue a refund...

If the staff is unable to confirm... then go through the CC company. But, really, the restaurant should just cancel the transaction and re-ring it...

Well I used to be bartender and at the end of the shift, you have to balance your drawer (money). If the OP's son only purchased $10.57 and it was rang up on the system that way, then the bartender's drawer will be over $95.00. That's if the cc machine is separate from the computer system/cash machice. Je had to know the orginal price ($10.57) so that number was given to him which indicated that the bartender did ring it up right, but when he went to swip the OP's son cc he punched in to many zero's. Which brings me back to the bartender being over $95.00 at the end of the shift!

In the past we have always used our credit card in ports BUT I really think I am going to stick with cash hence foward...........too many threads talking about alot of miscalculations, over charges etc..........cash sounds good to me :)

:confused:

In the past we have always used our credit card in ports BUT I really think I am going to stick with cash hence foward...........too many threads talking about alot of miscalculations, over charges etc..........cash sounds good to me :)

:confused:

I can't agree with you more. Not only that, but most cc companies charge an international fee per transaction.

yes it was most likely pesos.. when i bought a bunch of tequila in cozumel last time i was surprised to see my bill was hundreds of dollars.. or so I thought. I drunkenly flipped out but they told me it was in pesos, which was clearly on the bill. double check the credit card statement and if it actually says $100 US, then call the company.

I actually had the complete opposite happen to me in Ochos Rios.. a local person kind of cornered me and made me buy some wood carving that he had carved my name into. I had no cash and had to put it on my card (stupid me for feeling "forced" into buying it, I've learned my lesson!) I told him I'd pay $20.00, but when I got my statement back the next month, he had only charged me $2! I didn't really want the thing anyway, and he was very aggressive so I don't feel that bad about it.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your son but my question is this when he added his tip to the charge receipt and then added the 2 to make the total why didn't he see the mistake at that time.

He does have a chance even though he signed it. When I worked in the resturant business and someone disputed the charge, we had to go by what the totaled amount was. So if the customer put down a $5.00 tip but only added it to $4.00 I only got the $4.00 tip. This was enforced by the Credit Card companies not the restaurants. So if your son put down $10.57 as the total then he might have a chance. Good Luck

Yeah the GC exchange rate sucks... but not 10x!! Am I the only one that thinks the waiter/waitress just added a zero on the end on accident (yeah, ok) or intentionally hoping the customer wouldn't notice??

We went to Margaritaville in GC and had a couple margaritas on our last cruise. It was low 30-something GC dollars... which exchanged to high 40-something US$.

My suggestion is to do a chargeback on the credit card. He signed the reciept but if he contests it, the cc company might be able to request proof of the bill.

- Jess

Archived