overbooked offers

victory2020

For anyone who has been offered a deal because of overbooking- have you been able to negotiate a different deal than the one they offered you? We are booked on a 2 day R/T. They have offered a 3 day LA- Vancouver), balcony (we are now in an inside), $100pp onboard credit & free flight home. We really don't want to fly to/from anywhere & am wondering if I told them we would take R/T 7 day from home port (LA) they would let us do that. Any experience with such matters?

Lets see, you paid for a two day cruise and want a seven day cruise deal. I am sure they will turn you down. The CRs are not there to negotiate. Their supervisors already told them what to offer and to see if there are any takers.

It never hurts to ask. If the OP wants to give it a shot, then he or she should go for it. Personally, I'd take the offer that Princess did make and run with it, but I'm not much of a gambler. :D

just gotta love the "gimme" attitude. be happy with the offer that they give you. greed is a terrible thing (as we all have seen on these boards)

It has nothing to do with greed. We do not want to switch cruises at all, but as a successful business person, I always try negotiate to make both parties happy with the changes that may be beneficial to both. They need people to give up room on our cruise, I need a cruise where no flight is involved, bottom line. All I wanted to know is if anyone has had experience with such matters, no need for the nasty comments.

I agree with you Sea Hag. I guess I don't see it as being greedy either. If they don't need to fly, then why not see if they can "trade" the flights for a couple more days onboard.With the price of flights lately, it might be worthwhile for Princess to consider. But either way, it doesn't hurt to ask. All they can say is no, right?:) Jax

just gotta love the "gimme" attitude. be happy with the offer that they give you. greed is a terrible thing (as we all have seen on these boards)

Greed is a terrible thing. And it was greed on the part of Princess that put them in the buy out situation to begin with! I don't care if its a cruise or an airline; those who overbook should pay through the nose!

I have not heard of being able to negotiate a move over offer. They start the process and go down the list offering the same thing to those they need their staterooms. IF they don't get any takers, they go down the list again with a better offer.

No way will you be able to tell them what you want, they will be making the offer, and I would guess if you try this, all you will do is embarass yourself by the end of the conversation.

If you want to sail that cruise, go, they won't stop you. If you want to take them up on their offer, also go for it. Or you can hope they call you back with something better.

But I agree, the CSR's that make the call are not in the position to negotiate, they are just there to make the offer instructed by the cruise lines.

For anyone who has been offered a deal because of overbooking- have you been able to negotiate a different deal than the one they offered you? We are booked on a 2 day R/T. They have offered a 3 day LA- Vancouver), balcony (we are now in an inside), $100pp onboard credit & free flight home. We really don't want to fly to/from anywhere & am wondering if I told them we would take R/T 7 day from home port (LA) they would let us do that. Any experience with such matters?

Sorry to disagree Toto - We have 'negotiated' a couple of wonderful 'move over' offers & to our great advantage :D - I have to admit this was some years ago (1990's) - the 'good old Princess' (only) days!

Not sure one would be able to do it now-a-days - With the huge ships there are just too many PAX anxious to take the first offer! :rolleyes:

One would have nothing to lose by 'trying'...... just ask for a 'Supervisor' immediately - state your requests & it will depend on how badly Princess needs your cabin............

I think that 2 day SD to Ensenada sold much better than Princess thought it would. Same with the CB in Florida. I think we might see more of these in the future.

Are you on the dawn May 4 ? I am on that sailing and haven't heard anything about it being overbooked.

The 2 day to Ensenada took a long time to fill and was pretty empty until about a month ago... I know because I kept watching for better upgrades. Ended up in a BB as the BA and above were pretty $$$ and never went on special.

The 2 day to Ensenada took a long time to fill and was pretty empty until about a month ago... I know because I kept watching for better upgrades. Ended up in a BB as the BA and above were pretty $$$ and never went on special.

Is the 2 night ensenada on Dawn the overbooked cruise the OP is referring to?

Sorry to disagree Toto - We have 'negotiated' a couple of wonderful 'move over' offers & to our great advantage :D - I have to admit this was some years ago (1990's) - the 'good old Princess' (only) days!

Not sure one would be able to do it now-a-days - With the huge ships there are just too many PAX anxious to take the first offer! :rolleyes:

One would have nothing to lose by 'trying'...... just ask for a 'Supervisor' immediately - state your requests & it will depend on how badly Princess needs your cabin............

Renee, I agree, back in the 'good ole days' we could do things like this. But now, nope.

When Princess was not as big as it is today, they were very flexible. But trying to negotiate a deal now-a-days is just something they don't do anymore.

Back in the early 90's we were given a totally FREE cruise because of a few problems on our first cruise. That doesn't happen much anymore either. :) :) But it got us to try Princess again because of it. That was back when they had only a few small ships and really needed the business. Heck, I still miss the good ole' days.

I think that 2 day SD to Ensenada sold much better than Princess thought it would. Same with the CB in Florida. I think we might see more of these in the future.

I don't know about seeing more of these. We just got off of the first 4 day on the CB, and one of the higher ranking officers I spoke with stated that we would not be seeing any more of these anytime soon, as they are already seeing them as less than successful. The crew was definitely not happy, as we spoke with many of the crew members that we knew from previous cruises.

Finally, I can tell you that anyone who has cruised Princess before would notice a big difference in the demographic on these. Suffice it to say that it was like being on a line that many people I know have only cruised once.

Regards,

Chef

I was offered a move over for a May repo cruise. They offered a Sept repo cruise. I tried to negotiate an Alaskan cruise and they were only allowed to offer the Sept repo cruise. Both cruises were 7 nights.

On the other hand - I was offered a move over offer for a May Alaskan cruise (I booked a B2B). They offered a July cruise that wouldn't work for me. I asked about another July date and they were willing to work with that. . In this case - one sailing was overbooked but they were willing to switch both cruises to a different week and price protect the 2nd week for me which was significantly higher in July compared to my May price (they offered me the first week free). Unfortunately, I couldn't switch my flights so I declined the offer.

I think some negotiations may be allowed but I wouldn't expect too much.

I know some people who negotiated on the move over offers given on the 4 day CB itinerary.

We were offered a move over from our 4 day to a 3 day, with our full fare refunded as OBC and upgrade from balcony to mini suite. They never offered or accepted negotiating up to a 7 day.

I do know one of our CC roll call members contacted Princess and negotiated the following. He was not interested in taking the 3 day offer, but asked if they would refund his fare and and credit it to his 7 day that was booked for later in the year. Since they did not need to give him another cruise, they were willing to not only refund his fare, but gave him the equivalent of an OBC on his later booking in the year.

Regards,

Chef

Greed is a terrible thing. And it was greed on the part of Princess that put them in the buy out situation to begin with! I don't care if its a cruise or an airline; those who overbook should pay through the nose!

So you are saying go for the 14 day in exchange for that 2 day.

Thank you to all who answered my post with knowlegable information sans the nasty comments. We are staying put on the 2 day (I guess greedy people would have taken their offer) & in fact my DH was irritated at me for even considering accommodating Princess in any way.

Okay, I just got off the phone with Princess about the May 4th Dawn Princess 2 night cruise out of San Diego, which we have been booked on & paid in full since last June.

I spoke directly with the dept. that handles the 'offers' and yes, they are asking people to move. We did. They gave us many choices for a longer cruise, OBC, free air and a balcony cabin (we paid for a Cat. K inside cabin).

One heck of a deal IMO. Worth it to move! Plus, the Coral is my favorite class of ship. I'm a happy camper! :D

Okay, I just got off the phone with Princess about the May 4th Dawn Princess 2 night cruise out of San Diego, which we have been booked on & paid in full since last June.

I spoke directly with the dept. that handles the 'offers' and yes, they are asking people to move. We did. They gave us many choices for a longer cruise, OBC, free air and a balcony cabin (we paid for a Cat. K inside cabin).

One heck of a deal IMO. Worth it to move! Plus, the Coral is my favorite class of ship. I'm a happy camper! :D

Good for you gal! Enjoy

Final note - they called me again this morning & agreed to MY offer- still don't know if we are willing to switch.............

Congratulations on a great negotiation (and proving the naysayers wrong). I'm not sure why people took such offense at you negotiating the best deal possible for yourself to make a change you did not invite so that Princess can avoid a PR nightmare. It's no different when the airlines overbook and make all sorts of different offers to get people to give up their seats. Please keep us posted of the end result.

Archived