Wife wants your opinion

gunner22a

Hi All,

I am a military officer and want to wear my military equilivent of a tux on the formal nights. It's crimson red (I'm Canadian) and the US equilivent would be Dress Blues. She thinks I'm trying to stand out in a sea of tuxes. I'm proud of what I do and don't feel I'm trying to "steal the show". Give me some help here before I go by a tux. Would you sit with me or would it make you feel awkward?

Absolutely, positively. Not only would I sit with you, I would be proud to do so.

The mess dress uniform of any military is the absolute equivalent of a tuxedo. I have seen officers of the U.S. military on board just about every cruise I have been on wearing their respective "Mess" dress uniforms. Wear it and be proud.

By the way, the U.S. equivalent would be the "Mess" dress, and would depend on season as to white or blue.

[quote name='gunner22a']Hi All,

I am a military officer and want to wear my military equilivent of a tux on the formal nights. It's crimson red (I'm Canadian) and the US equilivent would be Dress Blues. She thinks I'm trying to stand out in a sea of tuxes. I'm proud of what I do and don't feel I'm trying to "steal the show". Give me some help here before I go by a tux. Would you sit with me or would it make you feel awkward?[/QUOTE]

I would be proud to sit with you! Wear it proudly!

[quote name='gunner22a']Thanks to all for the support! I am proud of what I do, I just don't want to flaunt it.[/QUOTE]

Believe me gunner, you will not be flaunting anything. Like any man proud of what he does, you will be making the statement that you are a military officer and proud of it. Believe me your wife will also share your pride. Something about a uniform.

Definitly wear your dress uniform. A tux is real sexy but so is a dress uniform. I have even seen men wear their kilts and they too were a turn on. Never be embarresed to be what you are. I would be proud to sit with you. Pat

Gunner22a,

I understand your not wanting to flaunt it. I don't know what your protocal is. I am Battalion Chief in the Fire Service and would not wear my class A uniform or any uniform for that matter if I wasn't on duty or representing my dept. in some official capacity. I am proud to be a firefighter and have many shirts and hats that I can wear off duty that speak for what I do.

I am a military officer and want to wear my military equilivent of a tux on the formal nights. It's crimson red (I'm Canadian) and the US equilivent would be Dress Blues. She thinks I'm trying to stand out in a sea of tuxes. I'm proud of what I do and don't feel I'm trying to "steal the show". Give me some help here before I go by a tux. Would you sit with me or would it make you feel awkward?[/QUOTE]

Don't buy a tux, wear your uniform with the pride in which you earned it. Married DH at Ft. Dix., N.J, as he was graduating from Army basic training. There is no photo of the two of us I hold more dearly than DH in his uinform standing beside me in my homemade wedding suite standing in a N.J. military chapel ready to tackel the world together.

Our only son is wearing his own Army uinform now as a FA member in Baghdad. I hope someday I can sit beside him at a Captains dinner, he in his uniform, me in whatever I find to wear beside him.

There can be no dress code more important on a ship anywhere, anytime, than the full dress uniform of a military person who gave of their life to protect the lives of others. Hope I'm on your ship sometime.

I'd like to shake your hand personally, but for now, this will have to do.

Thank you.

[quote name='fireguy091']Gunner22a,
I I don't know what your protocal is. .[/QUOTE]

I believe their protocol is the same as for our forces. If a tuxedo is specified or recommended, the the "mess" dress can be worn and is appropriate (in most circumstances).

I assume this is whats known as a Formal Mess Kit. This is absolutely acceptable in the Dining Room on Formal Nights. I wish I still had mine.

Please wear it. My Son is an Officer in the AF and wore his Dress Uniform for his wedding (by request of his bride) and looked just wonderful. I am going to suggest that he wear his uniform for their up coming cruise too.

[quote name='gunner22a']Hi All,I am a military officer and want to wear my military equilivent of a tux on the formal nights. It's crimson red (I'm Canadian) and the US equilivent would be Dress Blues. She thinks I'm trying to stand out in a sea of tuxes. I'm proud of what I do and don't feel I'm trying to "steal the show". Give me some help here before I go by a tux. Would you sit with me or would it make you feel awkward?[/QUOTE] gunner22a:
[list=1]
[*]Definitely, definitely, definitely wear your crimson red uniform.
[*]Be proud of everything that uniform stands for.
[*]When (and what ship) are you cruising?
[*]May I sit at your table?
[*]You [i]might[/i] stand out in a sea of tuxes, but that would be a good thing, not a bad thing.
[*]I can guarantee that if you are in your crimson red uniform, your wife will be the envy of most of the ladies who see you two together that night.
[/list]

I'm not sure why your wife thinks youre trying to steal everyone else's thunder, but I think I'd pay more attention to her level of discomfort than the opinions of a bunch of strangers. And for the record, I think it would be fine to wear it. I'm sure you'll look dashing and be most appropriate.

[quote name='denisey']Maybe your wife doesn't want you to wear your uniform because she doesn't want all the women drolling all over you! LOL! I don't see a problem!

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Denise[/QUOTE]
I hear ya Denise!! Nothing like a man in uniform- Wear it proudly!

And yet another vote for "wear it and be proud." I would feel extremely honored to be seated at your table. When all the other women are gawking at how incredibly handsome you are in your uniform, your wife can slip her arm through yours and feel fortunate to have you. :D

Archived