Coco Cay Question?

jscangel18

I have been reading that the snorkeling is better on one side of the island, we have our own masks, but no flippers can we just rent them or do you have to rent everything? also this one is silly but they provide towels on the island right? thanks:)

No towels provided on the island. You will find pool towels in your cabin. You would take these ashore, but make sure to return them to your cabin or you will be charged.

Sorry can't help you with the snorkel gear question.

I have been reading that the snorkeling is better on one side of the island, we have our own masks, but no flippers can we just rent them or do you have to rent everything? also this one is silly but they provide towels on the island right? thanks:)

They will rent fins and vests to you separately from the snorkel and masks. I believe the cost was $15 for the fin and vest. I think the snorkeling is best right off the main beach, to the left facing the water. There is a sunken airplane and a floating dock out there, near the lifeguard chair. Lots of fish in the plane and the lifeguard sometimes feeds the fish there too.

A little closer to shore, again, off to the left is a rocky area where I've seen a lot of fish as well and an ray swam right under me!

Enjoy Coco Cay...it's one of my favorite places on earth. :)

They will rent fins and vests to you separately from the snorkel and masks. I believe the cost was $15 for the fin and vest. I think the snorkeling is best right off the main beach, to the left facing the water. There is a sunken airplane and a floating dock out there, near the lifeguard chair. Lots of fish in the plane and the lifeguard sometimes feeds the fish there too.

A little closer to shore, again, off to the left is a rocky area where I've seen a lot of fish as well and an ray swam right under me!

Enjoy Coco Cay...it's one of my favorite places on earth. :)

I think that's a pretty good description. The beach near the Snorkel Shack is where we were. Pretty decent snorkeling, especially off to the left in the "advanced" area. The airplane was good too. We had a great day at CoCo.

one is well advised to remember that CoCo Cay has jellies and they do have a season (typically around September), but always, I have seen them and they WILL sting, so don't 4get to pack your fav remedy!

Also, don't 4get to bring your fav repellent for the sand fleas that could be prevelant....they could be anywhere and you may never get bitten ... or you might. We spray prior to landing and repeat after water play. also, the sun can be brutal - a swim t-shirt is always good ... many a red back at dinner after a day in the sun.

All this being said, it IS a great opportunity for an inclusive port day - lunch lines form early, so you probably want to be in the first group to tender in.

p.s. it is an ability-friendly destination.

Thanks for the Tip.....i had not even thought of bug spray.....this is our first cruise.......dont they do a bbq lunch at the island? this is what i have read. and i didn't know about the jellies.. what do you put on a sting??????? any more info would be wonderful THANKS

Do NOT pack beach towels!!! You can (and should) use the pool towels the ship provides. You can get more than one per person, if you need it, and they can be changed out for clean ones anytime you want! Save the luggage space for MORE SHOES!!!!

Do NOT pack beach towels!!! You can (and should) use the pool towels the ship provides. You can get more than one per person, if you need it, and they can be changed out for clean ones anytime you want! Save the luggage space for MORE SHOES!!!!

ok so thats a no to the beach towels........i already have 4 pairs packed.....2 dress shoes...my comfy crocs..and im wearing my sneakers.... thanks for the tip though...im trying to gather as much insider info as possible..we leave saturday and im still trying to pack stuff i may have forgotten....bug spray?? and such

Thanks for the Tip.....i had not even thought of bug spray.....this is our first cruise.......dont they do a bbq lunch at the island? this is what i have read. and i didn't know about the jellies.. what do you put on a sting??????? any more info would be wonderful THANKS

Hey there, we've been to Coco Cay 2 or 3 times and we love it. We get as far away from the crowds as we can, get chairs in the shade which is pretty easy and sit back and enjoy a really relaxing day. We go to lunch around 1:00 when it is a bit less crazy, never saw a jelly fish, rays or flies. Since we do have flies here this time of year though, we may have them next week on Coco Cay. finally, we spend late morning and all afternoon there. The crowds begin is lighten after lunch.

Hope this helps.

do a google search to find out your options for jelly remedies (or inquire with your local pharmacist) - there's many things one can use - Regarding the sand fleas: I've seen people covered with bites (so bad they had to go to sick bay) and yet others don't get a single bite. I think it's good to use a spray as a preventative. Remember you can't buy much of anything on the ship in the way of stomach remedies and such so you really want to take from home anything you might possibly think you could use in a week. be creative and think outside the box on this packing list. The bar-b-que is delightful and tasty. I think the biggest single challenge for 1st timers is to NOT OVEREAT! we are conditioned to clean our plates; "we paid for it/we are gonna eat it" has caused more than one upset tummy. Pace yourself and try to think ahead to the next meal whilst you are filling your plate for the current meal. Enjoy room service: you can pretty much get to your room anything the kitchen has, so just ask for it but don't forget to tip one to two dollars for tray delivery.

I did get a small sting from a jelly fish last October while in Coco Cay. I went to the nearest drink gazebo and they had a packet of some green stuff that helped a lot. So, if you forget to pack it, just ask for it. :)

While Coco Cay remains high on my "like to do", I also liked Labadee....w/all the problems in Haiiti, is Labadee still a stop? didn't I read something about a permanent pier being built? I like the water there better than Coco Cay (no jellies, either (or sand fleas)) :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi -

We just booked the Mariner for July and I had a couple of questions about Coco Cay ---

Can you bring and use your own snorkel equipment without having to rent a vest?

Can you bring your own floats or will RCI kick you out of the water (we have the pop-open kind with the inflatable rim - very easy to pack flat)?

Thanks!

Hi -

We just booked the Mariner for July and I had a couple of questions about Coco Cay ---

Can you bring and use your own snorkel equipment without having to rent a vest?

Can you bring your own floats or will RCI kick you out of the water (we have the pop-open kind with the inflatable rim - very easy to pack flat)?

Thanks!

They require you to rent a vest. It's $6. You can bring your own snorkel equipment.

I'm not sure about the floats.

The best snorkelling is straight out and to the left around the rocks. There are buoys so you know how far you can go. Someone mentioned this is the "advanced" area. I'm not a strong swimmer and I did fine out there. The current was stronger in the afternoon and getting back was more difficult (kick kick - go no where! lol) to get back. You do NOT have to go to the buoys to see fish. We didn't go right to the buoys because I was scared of sharks to be honest and I wanted to stay more in the rocky area where all the fish were. It levels off out there and is probably 6-10 feet deep of water and it is sandy and it fades into nothingness which I thought was scary because you could see further in the shallow water. Anyways, go out there though. We didn't know we could go out that way last time and we saw nothing compared to our recent trip. It was amazing - the highlight of my trip by far.

While Coco Cay remains high on my "like to do"' date=' I also liked Labadee....w/all the problems in Haiiti, is Labadee still a stop? didn't I read something about a permanent pier being built? I like the water there better than Coco Cay (no jellies, either (or sand fleas)) :D[/quote']

We were just at Labadee on Wednesday. There was also a group of people walking around the island that were taking pictures looking like they were trying to find the best spot for the pier. Had papers, etc. in hand--not your normal passenger or rccl worker on the island. I wasn't quite close enough to hear what they were saying.

While Coco Cay remains high on my "like to do"' date=' I also liked Labadee....w/all the problems in Haiiti, is Labadee still a stop? didn't I read something about a permanent pier being built? I like the water there better than Coco Cay (no jellies, either (or sand fleas)) :D[/quote']

Yes! :D I was just there at the beginning of the month with the Freedom.

• 2 years later...
They require you to rent a vest. It's $6. You can bring your own snorkel equipment.

I'm not sure about the floats.

The best snorkelling is straight out and to the left around the rocks. There are buoys so you know how far you can go. Someone mentioned this is the "advanced" area. I'm not a strong swimmer and I did fine out there. The current was stronger in the afternoon and getting back was more difficult (kick kick - go no where! lol) to get back. You do NOT have to go to the buoys to see fish. We didn't go right to the buoys because I was scared of sharks to be honest and I wanted to stay more in the rocky area where all the fish were. It levels off out there and is probably 6-10 feet deep of water and it is sandy and it fades into nothingness which I thought was scary because you could see further in the shallow water. Anyways, go out there though. We didn't know we could go out that way last time and we saw nothing compared to our recent trip. It was amazing - the highlight of my trip by far.

OK, REQUIRE? I don't need or wear a vest to snorkel, and have my own flippers/mask/snorkel. Surely they won't force me out of the water to force upon me a vest?

I have 1 day until I cruise, so need info asap..

OK, REQUIRE? I don't need or wear a vest to snorkel, and have my own flippers/mask/snorkel. Surely they won't force me out of the water to force upon me a vest?

I have 1 day until I cruise, so need info asap..

The vest is RCL safety requirement. You can rent one or bring one. Easy to rent. You must wear one.

• 3 weeks later...

Snorkeled there numerous times and have never worn a vest. I enjoy diving down and looking for lobsters, etc and a vest would be an issue. Although they say you must, I have never. Also, I regularly snorkel in the presence of jellyfish and for the most part, rarely get stung. Not all sting. if you see some, motion your hands toward them and the force of the water will move them far enough away.

"Don't pack towels! You will carry the pool towels from the ship! That way, when you get back to the ship, you can change them for clean ones--no sandy, damp towels everywhere! "

Hehe I pack our own thin towels on every cruise for land days. The reason why I prefer to bring my own is that I find the ship's towels very bulky to lug around in our beach bag. They simply take up way too much space in my bag. We have thinner nice towels that fold up very small in my beach bag and thats the reason why I totally prefer to bring my own towel.

We travel light in general, one meduim size bag each..so its not that I am a pack rat.I am just very practical. Most of the Caribbean destinations is hot in general, so no need for a thick bulky towel for me.

Archived