Amsterdam

Hi, I am new here on the HAL board. We are thinking of trying the Amsterdam on a Alaskan cruise, but I have not see too much about this ship.The pictures look beautiful, but should I maybe considering another ship?:confused:

The Amsterdam is my favorite HAL ship becasue she looks and feels like a real ship instead of a floating hotel.

I would not hesitate to book her except that if you are planning to sail in July onwards, there will probably be more action at Hubbard Glacier, and so I would probably opt for the Oosterdam.

I would say give it a try to if the itinerary interests you and the leaving on Friday works well. Just 5 weeks from today we will be sailing to Alaska on the Amsterdam. This will be our 5th cruise to Alaska and our first time on the Amsterdam and we are very much looking forward to it.:)

We always enjoy our Alaska cruises, we even cruised twice last year to Alaska. I was afraid I was going to be burned out in going to Alaska this year and early on I needed some nudging to get enthusiastic about cruising on the Amsterdam. Now I am counting the days and very much looking forward to it.

The Amsterdam is a beautiful ship, and like the other R-class ships is a nice size. Not too big, but big enough to have a variety of places to sit and enjoy.

But Alaska is one place where the itinerary is more important than which ship. Choose by which ports and which glaciers the ship visits, and to some extent by day of the week it sails.

Whatever ship you take to Alaska, have a great time in the Great Land.

Hi, I am new here on the HAL board. We are thinking of trying the Amsterdam on a Alaskan cruise, but I have not see too much about this ship.The pictures look beautiful, but should I maybe considering another ship?:confused:

There have been many posts and threads about the Amsterdam. I can't imagine why you would consider switching ships just because you haven't seen anything about it.

You dont read much about Amsterdam because she does a lot of unique cruises - World cruises, Round the Pacific Rim, etc. She and Rotterdam are currently the co-flagships of HAL and are very classy and classic cruise liners. We prefer them to the newer Vista class.:)

We've sailed the Rotterdam (her sister ship), and the Oosterdam. The smaller size of the Amsterdam/Rotterdam (1300 passengers vs 1850) makes a big difference in service and food quality in our opinion. Highly recommended.

Hammybee, maybe you or another poster can answer a question for me. I, too, am trying to decide between the Amsterdam and the Oosterdam, but because of the itinerary, not the ship. You mentioned "busier" at the Hubbard Glacier, and recommended the Oosterdam. Could you explain why you recommend the Hubbard glacier over Glacier Bay? Does anyone else have an opinion?

A few years ago we did the Alaskan Cruise-Tour and really loved it. Now I would like to just cruise. The only town we didn't see was Sitka, and that is included on both ship's itineraries.

May I have some opinions, please?

Marian

Marion, I have been to Alaska 4 times now with the first being on the Oosterdam. She still is my favorite ship but we took her on our first cruise to Alaska mid May and were very dissappointed with no activity at Hubbard Glacier. We saw maybe one very small junk fall and never heard any White Thunder or crackling. Then 2 years later we went to Glacier Bay first week of May on the Ryndam and saw non-stop calving and lots of rumbling at Marjorie Glacier. It was truly amazing. Last year we returned to Glacier Bay twice, both times on the Noordam, once in mid June the other early September and once again both times were spectacular for seeing lots of calving. Now I know it was luck of the draw but I have never been dissappointed with going to Glacier Bay and thought it was far more scenic cruising at Glacier Bay National Park over Hubbard Glacier. This year we are taking the Amsterdam but our itinerary is taking us to Tracy Arm which is why I chose this since we have not seen this area.

Could you explain why you recommend the Hubbard glacier over Glacier Bay? Does anyone else have an opinion?

I've been to Hubbard Glacier three times, and Glacier Bay twice.

On a picture-pretty day Hubbard has it all over Glacier Bay. The sail up Yakutat Bay has to be one of the most beautiful rides in the world. You sail by the highest coastal mountains in the world, and when they're encrusted with snow and ice, with the sun shining on them---it all sparkles. And all that's before you even get near the glacier!

Hubbard is high and wide. And very, very blue. There's a sound as of a gun-shot, followed by breaking off of large walls of ice. Spectacular.

Remember---I said on a good-weather day.

Glacier Bay on a picture-pretty day is also beautiful, don't get me wrong. But the glaciers aren't as grand.

On a bad-weather day all bets are off.

The Amsterdam in my opinion is one of Hal's most beautiful ships. I don't think you would make a mistake by taking a cruise on her. I like the Oosterdam but she lacks the class that the Amsterdam has, her art work is beautiful. The Oosterdam is a little more modern then the Amsterdam.

We just stepped off the Amsterdam on Sunday and loved her! I thought this site was the best source for photos if you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.shipparade.com/cruise%20reviews/Holland%20America%20Line/Amsterdam/Amsterdam.htm

I hope to post some photos from my trip soon too!

That site is where I first saw her! What a great site.

I've been to Hubbard Glacier three times, and Glacier Bay twice.

On a picture-pretty day Hubbard has it all over Glacier Bay. The sail up Yakutat Bay has to be one of the most beautiful rides in the world. You sail by the highest coastal mountains in the world, and when they're encrusted with snow and ice, with the sun shining on them---it all sparkles. And all that's before you even get near the glacier!

Hubbard is high and wide. And very, very blue. There's a sound as of a gun-shot, followed by breaking off of large walls of ice. Spectacular.

Remember---I said on a good-weather day.

Glacier Bay on a picture-pretty day is also beautiful, don't get me wrong. But the glaciers aren't as grand.

On a bad-weather day all bets are off.

I echo this and generally speaking, Hubbard often has good weather in the prime time, end of June- mid August. It is a jaw dropping spectacle of nature.

Just got off the Amsterdam Panama Cruise and miss my favorite HAL ship. Everything was in beautiful shape (even after that long world cruise), crew was wonderful, food great, entertainment very good. and I am home washing clothes!!!! We did a cruise to Alaska a few yrs ago on this ship with a stop to Hubbard. It was a rainy wk in July but it cleared up enough at the glacier for a fine view. Either glacier visit is great.:)

Just got off the Amsterdam Panama Cruise and miss my favorite HAL ship. Everything was in beautiful shape (even after that long world cruise), crew was wonderful, food great, entertainment very good. and I am home washing clothes!!!! We did a cruise to Alaska a few yrs ago on this ship with a stop to Hubbard. It was a rainy wk in July but it cleared up enough at the glacier for a fine view. Either glacier visit is great.:)

Carol, Welcome Home:) So glad to hear continued reports of how great the Amsterdam is. Exactly 30 days from today we will be embarking the Amsterdam and we definitely cannot wait.

Archived