Sea sickness

Goodmorning everyone,

I have a silly question. We have been on 2 cruises and never had trouble with sea sickness. Both were calm cruises. When your sick, is it like having the flu and being resticked to bed for a while. Or something very different. I heard it's gone quickly once you hit calmer water. And heard your under the weather for while????

Sea sickness is an awful thing. It only happened to me once and it was on a tiny boat, never on a cruise ship. I personally didn't get sick to my stomach, but felt horrible and just wanted the movement to STOP! We got back on land and I was just fine. Now when I'm taking a cruise, I always take Bonine as a precaution and have never had a problem. Don't wait until you start to feel bad or it will be too late for the pills to work. It will completely ruin your vacation:(.

I have been seasick twice and had two completely different experiences. The first time was over very quickly (a matter of a few hours). The second time I was sick for the better part of a day. On both occasions, once I got my sea legs, I was fine for the rest of the cruise, no matter how rough the water got. I have sailed several times since and have luckily not been seasick. I don't know if these are typical, they are just my experiences.

Anne

Put it this way...I'd rather have the flu! If you are stricken, you just want to DIE and get it over with!!!....not the way to spend a day or so of your expensive vacation! If you're not sure if you will be affected, take something before you set sail.

For me, it has nothing to do with how calm or rough the waters are. If I am in a moving object, I am sick. On this last cruise I somehow lost my patch one day. I noticed I was feeling a little queasy - and about dinner time - it was starting to get bad when I noticed it was missing. New patch, lots of fizzy water and brisk air and I was much better.

I've never been sea sick on a cruise ship before- only felt it slightly on a catamaran. But I am going to be aft on the explorer. So my doctor gave me a prescription for some sort of patch that I can put behind my ear, that needs to be changed after 3 days. My question is should I take it before I get on the ship, (knowing I've been fine before) or should I just wait and see what happens? Like that post said though, I don't want it to be too late. But i also don't want to take un-needed meds.

Goodmorning everyone,

I have a silly question. We have been on 2 cruises and never had trouble with sea sickness. Both were calm cruises. When your sick, is it like having the flu and being resticked to bed for a while. Or something very different. I heard it's gone quickly once you hit calmer water. And heard your under the weather for while????

I'm in exactly the same boat as you (pun intended). I've been on two cruises and both times the seas were rather calm, although on our first eastern cruise, there was one night were you could feel some motion. Last year on our western cruise on Mariner, the seas were like glass the entire trip.

I've been very sick in choppy water on smaller boats (Lake Michigan), so when we cruise I always take Bonine as a preventative; even if the seas are calm. I start the night before we sail at bedtime, and continue all week. Prevention is the best. Chances are, I probably wouldn't even get sick on a cruise ship, but I'm not taking the chance for a vacation I've waited a year for.

I've never been sea sick on a cruise ship before- only felt it slightly on a catamaran. But I am going to be aft on the explorer. So my doctor gave me a prescription for some sort of patch that I can put behind my ear, that needs to be changed after 3 days. My question is should I take it before I get on the ship, (knowing I've been fine before) or should I just wait and see what happens? Like that post said though, I don't want it to be too late. But i also don't want to take un-needed meds.

I would probably put it on the morning you sail. Prevention is key.

There's your answer. You have never gottten sick before. So why take medication to prevent a sickness that you probably won't get? I would go without it. If you feel something starting to come on worry about it then. If you get sick, it won't ruin your vacation, only a few hours of it. You can get bonine at the pursers desk just by asking for it.

There's your answer. You have never gottten sick before. So why take medication to prevent a sickness that you probably won't get? I would go without it. If you feel something starting to come on worry about it then. If you get sick, it won't ruin your vacation, only a few hours of it. You can get bonine at the pursers desk just by asking for it.

What is Bonine? I've heard about it quite a lot on these boards? Thanks for your help!

i took patches with me from the doctors last november..

they are lethal!!

admittedly i drank whilst wearing them (TBH don't know why i bothered!) and apart from the 'sahara' type dry mouth in the mornings, i couldn't read the menu's at dinner whilst i wore the patch... and i have perfect vision!!

so i guess they are a cure as opposed to a preventative measure, but from what other people tell me they work wonders if the boat starts 'a rockin' ....

I am a believer in the Natural ginger pills. I get horrible motion sickness and they help a lot, without all the uneccessary meds that are in the bonine and dramamine. I also use the wrist bans.

I spent a whole day in bed with 16 -18 foot seas because I wanted to only take ginger tablets while DH wore a patch. It was awful. He was fine. I have never been sick that many times in a row in my life except when I had food poisoning. Most of the ship was sick. Our TV flew off and broke on the floor, I was so sick I just let it lay there! So...that all being said, the patch will be on me from now on. I've worn it on my last 2 cruises. The first time I wore it, I had stomach discomfort. I did some follow up on it and found that it might be too strong for people under 150 lbs. I cut it in half. It works perfect! I NEVER want to spend another precious day on a ship sick as a dog.:eek:

okay, here's my peeve.... not all, but a good many of the people answering on the board are like, "oh, i've never really been sick," or "i've only been sick sorta once" or stuff like that.

I suffer pretty bad from motion sickness and have since i was a little kid. i remember getting sick in my mom's car. but, i still fly, cruise, etc.... sometimes, i get sick in the back of cars still in hilly places. anywho, i cruise with a scopolomine patch most of the time and if the waters are calm, i take the patch off and use meclizine only. however, once, on enchantment, the waters were band and the meclizine wasn't doing it. i was VERY sick for something like 6 hours. nothing stops it because you don't stop moving. the only thing to make motion sickness better is usually something you don't take by mouth because at that point, you are puking. so, hence, i always have a patch with me that i can slap on. of course, my doc prescribes it and it works well for me. i disagree with the previous poster, the are not "lethal" - sounds like she had some side effects she couldn't tolerate. but, if you suffer motion sickness bad enough, you'll tolerate some dry mouth and some mildly dilated pupils. :-)

With motion sickness, getting to a place that isn't moving helps, but once you start the process of getting sick, you are kinda screwed.

Prevention is the key. But, i agree, you don't need to take uneccessary meds either. i'd bring some OTC drammamine with you. If you get sick, go to a place on the boat with the least movement, get some gingerale, and rest. take the drammamine. it may or may not help you, but at least you know that now, you need to take it to PREVENT motion sickness.

If you're asking, "how do i know if it's motion sickness or the flu?" Motion sickess will eventually get better, for instance in the morning, when the ship reaches calmer water and you've taken meds. the flu will stay with you. Not to mention that you won't have fever with motion sickness. It may take a time or two to figure out what works for you but you'll learn.

And, forget the bands. I wouldn't even waste money on ginger pills, just drink some ginger ale on the boat. And, for anyone who has experienced motion sickness in the past, please talk with your doctor! he or she can help you!!!

my dear hubby is the only person I know who can get motion sickness while driving a car. when we started cruising he started wearing the patch. the first cruise he carefully read that he had to leave the patch off for eight hours while changing and ended up sick now he will put the patch on when we board the plane for barcelona. I carry the generic form of meclazine , now if my son will just check with the peditrician as to instructions for 10 year old grandson we are ready to go

Usually seasickness hits without warning. Some say it has to do with the inner ear. I always chew a Bonine when I get onboard and maybe one the next day. But if we hit rough seas I will take them then also. Also fresh air will help stabilize you. Being in a confined space exacerbates the problem (such as cabin bathrooms with the door closed)

Archived