Fewer Formal Clothes-More Other Clothes?

FinelyCruising

I have been reading about some desires to eliminate formal nights as a result of the luggage restrictions, but wonder on cruises how realistic it is to think that a second bag would still not be needed when the formal outfits still need to be replaced by some other smart casual (my term) outfits.

Our casual items, bathing suits, coverups, underwear, shoes, casual shorts and shirts, which are every single day items are in one bag along with anything else that can take a tougher environment, but we still each take a second bag for all the after five outfits.

I don't follow that with the desired elimination of formal nights to make it easier for cruisers who are accustomed to two bags, how with the same number of nights on a cruse there is a reduced need for outfits, and I have read the how to pack lighter thread.

How is this idea of eliminating formal nights to save packing space really going to work if you still need to bring a similar number of outfits/similar number of bags?

My one thought is that with dressy casual clothes I could do more mixing and matching with the clothes that I have. It is not as possible for me to do that with my formal clothes.

I will be doing my third TA. It will end in Rome where we will spend 3 days. It makes it challenging to cover all the different nights on the ship and also have clothes for warm weather and then turning to more brisk weather.

That being said. I love to dress up and if the dress code stays the same I will just have to be more creative.

The cost of the second bag is not the issue with me, my husband is. He hates to bring more than one bag each. Why? I have no idea and we've been married 26 years.:)

I personally think one of the reasons why Celebrity frequently has lower pricing for a comparable itinerary than its competition is because a signficant number of their past passengers have jumped ship to cruise lines with more flexible dress codes.

This, of course, isn't the only reason, but I definitely think it is a contributory factor.

Your right on the mark.

We don't mind the formal clothes and nice clothes (dress shirt, Dockers type pants) for other nights but adding the semi-formal layer is a bit much for us.

We usually cruise RCI or Carnival both of which have formal nights.

If the itinerary was right we would cruise X again.

I absolutely love the ambiance on a formal night on a Celebrity Cruise. Lets face it, we are all human and respond in a conscious and sub-conscious way to the beauty of an elegant gown or cocktail dress, or a finely tailored suit or tuxedo. It just make the evening more special!

As for the Solstice, I hope that if they don't suggest formal attire for the entire ship, that they will also have another venue in addition to the dining room that will also be designated formal, like a lounge or a cocktail reception that will be formal. That would continue the elegant ambiance beyond just the dining room. I really like the whole evening being special, and not just the dining room.

I agree, but I don’t think you’re going to see the Asian specialty dinning venue or the lawn club being formal even on formal nights.

I personally think one of the reasons why Celebrity frequently has lower pricing for a comparable itinerary than its competition is because a signficant number of their past passengers have jumped ship to cruise lines with more flexible dress codes.

This, of course, isn't the only reason, but I definitely think it is a contributory factor.

I don’t think Celebrity has any large number of past passengers jumping ship because of dress codes. I think the pricing on some itineraries is meant to attract new customers. With 4 (maybe 5) S-Class ships on order with a total of 11,400+ berths to fill they need a lot of new customers.

I personally think one of the reasons why Celebrity frequently has lower pricing for a comparable itinerary than its competition is because a significant number of their past passengers have jumped ship to cruise lines with more flexible dress codes.

I'm not trying to be trite here, but two of your post seem to contradict each-other, and I think it would be a good idea for you to clarify your position.

This a post on another thread on nearly the same subject:

"There are a number of Celebrity Cruisers who feel so strongly about the dress code that they would probably "jump ship" if Celebrity became more casual, so Celebrity keeps it to make them happy.

At the same time, Celebrity also realizes that life on land has become more casual, and that many people don't want to dress up at sea when they can be casual at upscale land based resorts and restaurants. So, to appeal to this group, Celebrity is lax about enforcing its dress code.

In my opinion, this is just another prime example of how Celebrity tries to be all things to all people. Unfortunately, it doesn't work because some passengers who love the dress code get upset when it isn't followed, while others who don't like it resent the fact that it even exists.

I personally pick a cruise because of the ship itself, itinerary, etc and then accept whatever dress code exists. While there are some posters who can't understand why anyone who doesn't like a dress code would sail on Celebrity, I think it is very understandable because it isn't a very important part of a cruise to most people. With all the important things to consider when choosing a cruise, the dress code is a very minor factor." [/color]

Are passengers leaving Celebrity because the dress code or sticking with them because of the dress code. You have also said that dress code is and isn't a deciding factor. So just wanted to give you a chance to clarify.

My thought is that many people choose Celebrity because of the dress code. It differentiates them from the other cruise lines, and I hope it doesn't become, at least on paper, just like all the other cruise lines.

I don't know anyone in real life who feels this way, but on this board there are a number of posters who feel so strongly about continuing the tradition of formal night that they would probably change cruise lines if Celebrity ever eliminated them. In fact, many have even posted words to the effect.

However, in real life I know a lot of people, myself included, who enjoyed Celebrity's formal nights at one point in time, but feel the novelty has worn off, and now prefer cruise lines that have a more flexible dress code. Even so, I am the type of person who plays by the rules, whether I like them or not, and do observe the dress code when I am on a Celebrity Ship.

I also think that Celebrity is aware of this trend and is especially concerned about losing passengers who have traditionally been their target demographic. In my opinion, that is why Celebrity is frequently lax about its enforcement of the dress code.

In other words, Celebrity keeps the formal dress code so they won't lose passengers who love it, but are lax about enforcing it to minimize the number of passengers who leave Celebrity because of it. As I stated previously, they are trying to be all things to all people and that rarely works.

I absolutely love the ambiance on a formal night on a Celebrity Cruise. Lets face it, we are all human and respond in a conscious and sub-conscious way to the beauty of an elegant gown or cocktail dress, or a finely tailored suit or tuxedo. It just make the evening more special!

As for the Solstice, I hope that if they don't suggest formal attire for the entire ship, that they will also have another venue in addition to the dining room that will also be designated formal, like a lounge or a cocktail reception that will be formal. That would continue the elegant ambiance beyond just the dining room. I really like the whole evening being special, and not just the dining room.

I agree ship wide ambiance is what sets Celebrity apart from Carnival and RCCL.We like taking longer cruises and I feel that 2 is plenty for any cruise.More takes away from them being special.

I wish this was the case on cruises I'm interested in.Some itens they are equal or lower but others at least the ones I'm interested in they are several hundred dollars higher.They must be doing something right in order to charge these higher prices

I don't know anyone in real life who feels this way, but on this board there are a number of posters who feel so strongly about continuing the tradition of formal night that they would probably change cruise lines if Celebrity ever eliminated them. In fact, many have even posted words to the effect.

However, in real life I know a lot of people, myself included, who enjoyed Celebrity's formal nights at one point in time, but feel the novelty has worn off, and now prefer cruise lines that have a more flexible dress code. Even so, I am the type of person who plays by the rules, whether I like them or not, and do observe the dress code when I am on a Celebrity Ship.

I also think that Celebrity is aware of this trend and is especially concerned about losing passengers who have traditionally been their target demographic. In my opinion, that is why Celebrity is frequently lax about its enforcement of the dress code.

In other words, Celebrity keeps the formal dress code so they won't lose passengers who love it, but are lax about enforcing it to minimize the number of passengers who leave Celebrity because of it. As I stated previously, they are trying to be all things to all people and that rarely works.

I agree that formal nights are not as special as they once where.I would like one a cruise,a Captains Gala then my wife would be happy seeing me in a tux.Country Club casual would be great and acceptable to me.I would hate it to turn into Jeans and T-Shirts and having the ship turn into a stroll on the Boardwalk.I get that here 5 months a year.If and when things change I would like Celebrity to keep its elegance and have a seperate idenity rom the family and party lines

I wish this was the case on cruises I'm interested in.Some itens they are equal or lower but others at least the ones I'm interested in they are several hundred dollars higher.They must be doing something right in order to charge these higher prices

No, by the quotes below, Oceania is doing something right to charge their prices.... Just for curiousity, I got prices on a 12 day med. cruise Sept. 09....similar itineraries....6 lines. Celebrity...right in the middle of the pack. Prices are all for lowest balconies

Carnival 2149

NCL 2599

Celebrity 2899

RCI 2699 (brilliance) & 3199 (legend)

Princess 3124

Oceania 4999

HAL only had a 10 day to compare to...2749

and Azamara an 11 day...2899

Most upscale hotels have a number of different restaurants in them with varying degrees of formality.

Maybe it would be a good idea if Celebrity did the same. This way everyone would be happy.

Never will happen....there will never be a point in time where everyone will be happy, and the cruise line knows that not every cruiser is their target customer. There will always be unhappy people because they choose to be unhappy.

No, by the quotes below, Oceania is doing something right to charge their prices.... Just for curiousity, I got prices on a 12 day med. cruise Sept. 09....similar itineraries....6 lines. Celebrity...right in the middle of the pack. Prices are all for lowest balconies

Carnival 2149

NCL 2599

Celebrity 2899

RCI 2699 (brilliance) & 3199 (legend)

Princess 3124

Oceania 4999

HAL only had a 10 day to compare to...2749

and Azamara an 11 day...2899

But check out Sept 2008 except for one late sailing all well above 3000 and several are sold out

But check out Sept 2008 except for one late sailing all well above 3000 and several are sold out

My Princess cruise for Sept 08 has been sold out for a many, many months. I'd rather compare cruise prices when they come out.

What Oceania is doing right to charge the higher prices is having only 684 pax on board and an all around elegant and pampering ambience, not doing away with formal nights. In my experience dress in the Oceania dining room has been somewhere between smart casual and informal with a bit more dressed up in the (free) alternative dining rooms.

What Oceania is doing right to charge the higher prices is having only 684 pax on board and an all around elegant and pampering ambience, not doing away with formal nights. In my experience dress in the Oceania dining room has been somewhere between smart casual and informal with a bit more dressed up in the (free) alternative dining rooms.

Which is exactly what Azamara is trying to do. But, I've heard a lot of people say they do cruise them not just because of, but a contributing factor, is the casual dress code.

[quote name='PurpleCow']What Oceania is doing right to charge the higher prices is having only 684 pax on board and an all around elegant and pampering ambience, not doing away with formal nights. In my experience dress in the Oceania dining room has been somewhere between smart casual and informal with a bit more dressed up in the (free) alternative dining rooms.[/quote]

Oh, no formal nights definitely has something to do with it. On our Oceania cruises, we have met MANY people who, like us, are over dragging formal clothes half way around the world. Why do you think Axamara totally cloned Oceania, not Celebrity?

[quote name='Cruise Junky']Which is exactly what Azamara is trying to do. But, I've heard a lot of people say they do cruise them not just because of, but a contributing factor, is the casual dress code.[/quote]

Buts its an upscale casual dress code.I would go for that while some friends would want a tux most nights.I feel that one of the fears of no formal nights is that cruising Celebrity will regress to T-Shirts and Levis and some of us would like to dress like we going to a nice restaurant and not Chevy's.

You know sailing RCCl and I do like to form time to time, has convinced me that is appropriate to be concerned about a changed formal atmosphere on a line that has several dress codes. So yes, I do think like anything else, the dress even if no longer formal can go too far off the mark.

[quote name='DC2OC']Buts its an upscale casual dress code.I would go for that while some friends would want a tux most nights.I feel that one of the fears of no formal nights is that cruising Celebrity will regress to T-Shirts and Levis and some of us would like to dress like we going to a nice restaurant and not Chevy's.[/quote]

If golf shirts and dockers are an "upscale" (gosh, I hate that word) dress code than so be it. Yes, we've seen jackets and even a tie or two on Oceania, but the majority of men wear sport shirts and casual slacks.

And, if no fomal nights would regress to "t-shirts and Levis", what does that say about Celebrity's clientele?

ECCruise--thank you, you said it well.

To Cruise Junky--I also think that Oceania always prices their cruises with the air included. About 10 years ago when their ships were Renaissance, they still had the same dress code, never allowed smoking, and after about the second year or so, they didn't allow children under 18. All of that and a nice ship of about 700 passengers.

[quote name='ECCruise']If golf shirts and dockers are an "upscale" (gosh, I hate that word) dress code than so be it. Yes, we've seen jackets and even a tie or two on Oceania, but the majority of men wear sport shirts and casual slacks.

[/QUOTE]

Here is what it is called where I work..

Business Casual attire will continue on Fridays during the summer, with the same guidelines that are in effect throughout the year. Business Casual attire for women can be mixed separates, including casual skirts or slacks, dresses, cotton shirts or shells, casual shoes or flats. Business Casual standards for men include casual slacks, cotton shirts with collars, a sports jacket and casual shoes with socks. Tee shirts, shorts, blue jeans and sneakers are inappropriate attire for the office. Denim is not appropriate at any time. Casual attire is not acceptable on any other day of the week. When in doubt, it is better to dress in business attire. Please remember proper business attire is always required for client meetings on any day.

(There are a few men who don't follow the sock rule;) )

[quote name='halbfl2']ECCruise--thank you, you said it well.

To Cruise Junky--I also think that Oceania always prices their cruises with the air included. About 10 years ago when their ships were Renaissance, they still had the same dress code, never allowed smoking, and after about the second year or so, they didn't allow children under 18. All of that and a nice ship of about 700 passengers.[/QUOTE]

That price was sadly without air :( We priced them for a cruise in 09 similar to the one we're doing. Price was $9,600 without air $11,600 with air. OUCH!!

[quote name='Cruise Junky']That price was sadly without air :( We priced them for a cruise in 09 similar to the one we're doing. Price was $9,600 without air $11,600 with air. OUCH!![/quote]

They run specials time to time.Still 6k w/air is pricey,but who knows....one day:)

[quote name='DC2OC']They run specials time to time.Still 6k w/air is pricey,but who knows....one day:)[/QUOTE]

If I could cruise without a balcony, I'd jump at Oceania, but it's got to be a balcony for us and that's where the price really jumps....you're right...one day :)

[quote name='ECCruise']If golf shirts and dockers are an "upscale" (gosh, I hate that word) dress code than so be it. Yes, we've seen jackets and even a tie or two on Oceania, but the majority of men wear sport shirts and casual slacks.

And, if no fomal nights would regress to "t-shirts and Levis", what does that say about Celebrity's clientele?[/quote]

Gee,I love the word upscale,and I hope if Celebrity goes casual it would be upscale casual:D

Archived