Fewer Formal Clothes-More Other Clothes?

FinelyCruising

[quote name='DC2OC']Buts its an upscale casual dress code.I would go for that while some friends would want a tux most nights.I feel that one of the fears of no formal nights is that cruising Celebrity will regress to T-Shirts and Levis and some of us would like to dress like we going to a nice restaurant and not Chevy's.[/quote]That's what I was trying to say about Oceania. The dining room wasn't as much casual as dressy, the way people used to dress when they went to a fine dining restaurant, except fewer men in jackets. Most pax dressed nicely even during the day, very few jeans, fewer on the women, very few tennis shoes, fewer on the women, no baseball caps indoors. Maybe it's because it's an older crowd, I don't know.

Dispensing with "formal nights" does not save space or weight, in fact my daughter's jeans weigh more than my formal black dress, and her "trainer shoes" certainly weigh more than my strappy sandals.

It is not a question of saving space or weight but one of not having to shower, and change clothes,- instead you can wear the same outfit all day long and go into dinner, with the days , dirt, grunge, sweat, etc .

As for the ad we see for NCL, where the female is talking about her health, well free style dining does not prvent being sea?ted next to someone like that, every cruise I have ever taken has had "open seating" for breakfast and lunch and I have been seated next to some really obnoxious types because of "open seating". At least with traditional if I do not like my table companions I can request a move. How do you request a move with "open seating", no rules, do as you like passengers.

[quote name='Jimsgirl'] At least with traditional if I do not like my table companions I can request a move. How do you request a move with "open seating", no rules, do as you like passengers.[/QUOTE]

You ask for a table for two or dine with friends.

Two formal nights are plenty, they could do away with the informal nights and go with 5 casual. I used to dress in long gowns for formal night, but no longer. It means an extra pair of shoes, extra foundation garments, nylons, etc. and yes, it adds weight to the luggage. I only wear black slacks on formal night now and switch out the tops. One pair of slacks and 2 tops is a lot less weight than 2 formal gowns and everything to go with them.

I don't think everyone would suddenly start wearing jeans if they did away with informal. I have never taken a pair of jeans on a cruise yet. They're just too hot for tropical temperatures. Heck, I don't even wear jeans in the summer because of the heat.

Judy

Face it.The format does not exist that would make even a few 100% happy.You can come close by choosing a cruise line that is close.Celebrity is too formal for Oceania and RCCL lovers,NCL lovers.Celebrity is just right for others.Some people dress daily and dressing on Celebrity is a nuisance while others dressing is a change from every day life.Nobody is right.I like being formal a bit on vacation so I choose Celebrity.I hope they stay that way.I don't mind lugging formal wear around.Gee it doesn't take any more effort than casual wear.Just choose a cruise that fits your style.It's wrong to want every cruise line to change for you or to think they would do better do things your way.Hey Carnival makes the most profit.While I would sail her under the right circumstances I'm glad Ii have other choices

[quote name='irishgirl']Two formal nights are plenty, they could do away with the informal nights and go with 5 casual. I used to dress in long gowns for formal night, but no longer. It means an extra pair of shoes, extra foundation garments, nylons, etc. and yes, it adds weight to the luggage. I only wear black slacks on formal night now and switch out the tops. One pair of slacks and 2 tops is a lot less weight than 2 formal gowns and everything to go with them.

I don't think everyone would suddenly start wearing jeans if they did away with informal. I have never taken a pair of jeans on a cruise yet. They're just too hot for tropical temperatures. Heck, I don't even wear jeans in the summer because of the heat.

Judy[/quote]

Agree.For men informal is becoming casual with a jacket which is fine by me

[quote name='Jimsgirl']
It is not a question of saving space or weight but one of not having to shower, and change clothes,- instead you can wear the same outfit all day long and go into dinner, with the days , dirt, grunge, sweat, etc ..[/quote]

[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Do you really believe that this is the reason some would like to dispense with Formal Nights? I don't.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='dmk'][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Do you really believe that this is the reason some would like to dispense with Formal Nights? I don't.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/quote]

Read that reason a few times

[quote name='Jimsgirl']Dispensing with "formal nights" does not save space or weight, in fact my daughter's jeans weigh more than my formal black dress, and her "trainer shoes" certainly weigh more than my strappy sandals.

It is not a question of saving space or weight but one of not having to shower, and change clothes,- instead you can wear the same outfit all day long and go into dinner, with the days , dirt, grunge, sweat, etc .

As for the ad we see for NCL, where the female is talking about her health, well free style dining does not prvent being sea?ted next to someone like that, every cruise I have ever taken has had "open seating" for breakfast and lunch and I have been seated next to some really obnoxious types because of "open seating". At least with traditional if I do not like my table companions I can request a move. How do you request a move with "open seating", no rules, do as you like passengers.[/quote]

Hi Jimsgirl :)

Grooming and hygiene have nothing to do with a dress code. If a person is lax about the former, no dress code is going to change that.

A person can be a slob in a tux, and well groomed in casual attire. I've also seen people in formal attire who look as if they slept in their clothes.

[quote name='Captain Jake']Read that reason a few times[/quote]

[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]You'll have to explain. I don't get it?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='Sky Sweet']Hi Jimsgirl :)

Grooming and hygiene have nothing to do with a dress code. If a person is lax about the former, no dress code is going to change that.

A person can be a slob in a tux, and well groomed in casual attire. I've also seen people in formal attire who look as if they slept in their clothes.[/quote]

[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]That's exactly how my DH and I felt after a day in Acupulco....so we ordered room service. We had it on the balcony and watched the night sights.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='Jimsgirl']Dispensing with "formal nights" does not save space or weight, in fact my daughter's jeans weigh more than my formal black dress, and her "trainer shoes" certainly weigh more than my strappy sandals.

As for the ad we see for NCL, where the female is talking about her health, well free style dining does not prvent being sea?ted next to someone like that, every cruise I have ever taken has had "open seating" for breakfast and lunch and I have been seated next to some really obnoxious types because of "open seating". At least with traditional if I do not like my table companions I can request a move. How do you request a move with "open seating", no rules, do as you like passengers.[/quote]

To say nothing of the loud mouth drunk in the tux.

I don't think formal clothing proves you have taken a shower.

But I could be wrong.

[quote name='Shipyard Cruiser']To say nothing of the loud mouth drunk in the tux.

I don't think formal clothing proves you have taken a shower.

But I could be wrong.[/quote]

But at least it proves you probably changed clothes:D

OK, I got to thinking about this thread and I wanted to see just what I could fit in my suitcase. Is it possible to fit clothes for a 14 day TA and 3 days in Barcelona in November into one suitcase.

I actually did it with room to spare. I was discretionary on what I included, and will have to either wash a few things out by hand or have them laundered but here's what I was able to fit into one suitcase:

21 pairs of underwear
2 tummy control spanx like things
3 bras
3 pairs of socks (wash and rotate)
A pull over jacket
1 pair of capri pants
3 pairs of shorts
5 T shirts
two long sleeve t-shirts.
1 regular swim suit and cover-up
one UV protective swimsuit (looks like surfers suit or wetsuit)
7 pairs of shoes including gym shoes and 1/2 boots
One pair of long yoga/jazz pants
One satin ruffle blouse
1 pair black pants
one ribbed short sleeve top
one loose casual top
one pair brown pants
Brown short sleved sweater set
brown puffy blouse
two cocktail dresses
3 evening gowns
Blow dryer, curling irons, and brushes
2 zip bags of toiletries
1 make-up bag

I know some of you like to bring other things along like snorkeler equipment... and obviously there would not be room for those with all this stuff, but there could be some of this stuff left behind. Men I know it is harder for you. My husband wears a clean undershirt every day, an those take up a ton of space as do suits, blazers and tuxedoes, but I just wanted to let you know that is is possible to get everything, atleast for me, into one checked bag.

I will have to carry on my camera and video equipment, but prefer not to check that anyway.

[quote name='Cruise Arizona']OK, I got to thinking about this thread and I wanted to see just what I could fit in my suitcase. Is it possible to fit clothes for a 14 day TA and 3 days in Barcelona in November into one suitcase.

I actually did it with room to spare. I was discretionary on what I included, and will have to either wash a few things out by hand or have them laundered but here's what I was able to fit into one suitcase:

21 pairs of underwear
2 tummy control spanx like things
3 bras
3 pairs of socks (wash and rotate)
A pull over jacket
1 pair of capri pants
3 pairs of shorts
5 T shirts
two long sleeve t-shirts.
1 regular swim suit and cover-up
one UV protective swimsuit (looks like surfers suit or wetsuit)
7 pairs of shoes including gym shoes and 1/2 boots
One pair of long yoga/jazz pants
One satin ruffle blouse
1 pair black pants
one loose casual top
one pair brown pants
Brown short sleved sweater set
brown puffy blouse
two cocktail dresses
3 evening gowns
Blow dryer, curling irons, and brushes
2 zip bags of toiletries
1 make-up bag

I know some of you like to bring other things along like snorkeler equipment... and obviously there would not be room for those with all this stuff, but there could be some of this stuff left behind. Men I know it is harder for you. My husband wears a clean undershirt every day, an those take up a ton of space as do suits, blazers and tuxedoes, but I just wanted to let you know that is is possible to get everything, atleast for me, into one checked bag.

I will have to carry on my camera and video equipment, but prefer not to check that anyway.[/QUOTE]

If that's your real packing list, I think you'll need to adjust a bit for the Med. in November. We were there in October and didn't wear shorts at all. Long pant weather. Friends of ours were there this November and froze in the south of france, long pants, sweaters and a coat. You could get lucky, but I'd up the pant count, take down the shorts and add a cardigan or two just in case. I definitely needed a jacket some nights.

I have a leather jacket that I'll be wearing on the plane. The cruise is a TA that stops in the Canary Island, which will be warm. Then I figure it may be cool on the ship during the crossing, so that where the long sleeve shirts and pull-over come in.

One satin ruffle blouse
1 pair black pants
one loose casual top
one pair brown pants
Brown short sleeved sweater set
brown puffy blouse

I forgot to put on my list a few other things that I also packed:
Black Skirt
Print Skirt
and a Pink Short sleeved sweater set. That comes to 7 casual night outfits with a bit of mix and matching and then just 3 nights of repeats.

Good call on the no pajamas, I had enough room that I could easily throw one set in .

[quote name='Cruise Arizona']

Good call on the no pajamas, I had enough room that I could easily throw one set in .[/QUOTE]
ONE set of pajamas??? For HOW long? :eek:

I've gotten into the habit of sleeping in a small camisole...they are light, comfy and take up very little room. :)

Archived