Fewer Formal Clothes-More Other Clothes?

FinelyCruising

I have been reading about some desires to eliminate formal nights as a result of the luggage restrictions, but wonder on cruises how realistic it is to think that a second bag would still not be needed when the formal outfits still need to be replaced by some other smart casual (my term) outfits.

Our casual items, bathing suits, coverups, underwear, shoes, casual shorts and shirts, which are every single day items are in one bag along with anything else that can take a tougher environment, but we still each take a second bag for all the after five outfits.

I don't follow that with the desired elimination of formal nights to make it easier for cruisers who are accustomed to two bags, how with the same number of nights on a cruse there is a reduced need for outfits, and I have read the how to pack lighter thread.

How is this idea of eliminating formal nights to save packing space really going to work if you still need to bring a similar number of outfits/similar number of bags?

I don't necessarily disagree that more people will rent formalwear -- but we ought to ask "why". If this is done in an effort to reduce luggage weight, it may make sense depending on how close to the next threshold one is. If, however, the reduction is solely for purposes of having one bag instead of two, saving the $50 in fees ($25 each way) does not come close to the cost of renting formalwear.

I don't necessarily disagree that more people will rent formalwear -- but we ought to ask "why". If this is done in an effort to reduce luggage weight, it may make sense depending on how close to the next threshold one is. If, however, the reduction is solely for purposes of having one bag instead of two, saving the $50 in fees ($25 each way) does not come close to the cost of renting formalwear.

I agree, but it makes the $80 or so to rent the formalwear much more worth the splurge.

I agree, but it makes the $80 or so to rent the formalwear much more worth the splurge.

Makes sense... plus the smaller difference may offset the schlep factor, the dry cleaning, etc.

How is this idea of eliminating formal nights to save packing space really going to work if you still need to bring a similar number of outfits/similar number of bags?

I had the same questions. Glad you posted. When I cruised on Azamara which is all "country club casual" I still needed more than one bag. I found my packing to be very similar in nature to my other cruises. The only real space saved in the suitcase was I didn't need to bring the dressier shoes I usually wear with the formals.

I had the same questions. Glad you posted. The only real space saved in the suitcase was I didn't need to bring the dressier shoes I usually wear with the formals.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I think I will still need the shoe suitcase.:o

I'm saving space by not packing any bathing suits for this cruise. Last time we didn't need them. Our itinerary is jammed packed.

It depends upon the formal clothes. Until a few years ago, I packed a different evening gown for each formal night. That took up a lot more room.

Then I went to fancy cocktail dresses which still took up more room but not as much as my gowns did.

Now for our Mediterranean Cruise next month, I am packing palazzo pants with different dressy tops for formal nights, and long skirts for the informal nights. This type of attire, which I would never wear to a formal event on land, even though it complies with the cruise line's dress code, should solve the packing problem for me.

On the other hand, my husband's tux will take up a lot more room than casual clothes would. I realize he can rent one on the ship, but he feels it won't look as good or fit him as well.

By the way, I will still need an extra suitcase because of the length of the cruise, but consisder it to be just a part of taking a cruise.

My formal wear packs pretty flat. It's a simple, but elegant black dress which I dress up with shawls, pins or necklaces. And yes, I wear the same black dress, which I have dry cleaned on board. I also always bring an extra formal dress. Again, flat packing, and a neutral color. I don't want or need to bring extra luggage because I must deal with it going and returning, and I don't look elegant schlepping 2 bags AND my backpack. ;)

Of course, this is from a young'un talking...

On our Azamara cruise we did save some room. Instead of two huge suitcases, and two carryons, we ended up with two "medium" suitcases, one carryon and one camera bag and this was for a 14 day cruise. Now, granted, Quest had a laundry which we used twice. I think we saved room by not taking another whole set of formal and informal clothes and shoes:eek:

On Celebrity, my formal clothes consist of one pair of palazzo pants and three beaded tops and for informal nights - one pair of black slacks and two or three dressy silk blouses. All in all it doesn't take up a lot of room. We have never checked more than one bag on any of our cruises no matter what the length. So, I must be doing something right:)

Now, as a forewarning, I am not a "girly-girl", so this probably wouldn't work for everyone. But, my plan is to bring one formal dress (to wear for any and all formal nights I participate in), and one dress for informal (to be worn multiple times as well), and of course, plenty of casual outfits for daytime and casual nights.

So, if you are like me, eliminating formal night (or even if the informal night was eliminated, as others have suggested because of the confusion between it and casual), would cut out one outfit. For other people (but not me, because I will wear the same shoes for informal and formals nights - and casual, actually!), but I could also see this cutting out an extra pair of shoes, which I think someone else also mentioned.

I personally of the view that if I can afford a cruise, excrusions and all that goes with cruising then I can afford the $25 for a bag each way to bring formal wear.

We're with you, and we're in our twenties, so none of that crap about how it's the young people who don't want to dress up!

We bring a garment bag with us and it's large enough to hold my husband's tux and two sports coats (and his accessories), my three formal dresses, and my three informal dresses. For $25 each way, we certainly couldn't rent all that! We just look at it as being part of the cost of the trip.

Cruising just wouldn't be the same for us without the formalwear.

My formal wear packs pretty flat. It's a simple, but elegant black dress which I dress up with shawls, pins or necklaces. And yes, I wear the same black dress, which I have dry cleaned on board. I also always bring an extra formal dress. Again, flat packing, and a neutral color. I don't want or need to bring extra luggage because I must deal with it going and returning, and I don't look elegant schlepping 2 bags AND my backpack. ;)

Of course, this is from a young'un talking...

Most of my formal dresses, and my informal dresses are very lightweight material, so they probably take up less space than a sweater set an a pair of pants. The idea to fit into fewer suit cases is to just pack a bit less of everything, and either hand wash, send it out, or just wear it again if its not too smelly. :) I 'd rather have a fresh out-fit every day, but sometimes you just got to make do.

With a family of 4, we will try to make it into 4 suit cases, but I really can't see that ever happening, so we might try to get by with 6, With what our next trip is costing over all, the $100 is probably well spent, and we just see it as part of the airfare. 4 people flying to Barcelona, there's not much difference between $3000 or $3100. Not really a big difference is there?

Sometimes perception is more important than realty. If someone thinks it is a hassle to pack for three different dress codes, especially on long European Cruises, it doesn't really matter if their perception is completely accurate.

That brings up another point. The biggest argument for keeping the formal dress code is tradition, but does that mean it is the best way to enjoy a cruise in the modern world.

My father, who was a Radiologist and Medical Director, encouraged me to become a physician. Yet even though the idea of following in his footsteps was very appealing to me, I chose a different field because I didn't think medicine was an appropriate career for a female.

Fortunately, no one has thought that way in a long time. The days of considering what is appropriate for your gender when making career choices is history and I consider that to be progress, not the loss of a tradition.

Similarly, just because some aspect of a cruise has been a tradition, that doesn't mean it is best today. Years ago, people did not take such port intensive cruises where they almost needed a vacation from that cruise after they got home. Therefore, dress codes that were appropriate when people relaxed most days at sea can be a nusiance after ten hours of walking on cobblestone roads in Europe.

While some traditions are worth preserving, change can also be a sign of progress.

I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but when I do formal night I like to wear a full-on long beaded formal gown. Those are not things you can repeat in the same week, without looking kinda silly. So for cruises with more than one formal night, I bring more than one formal gown, which takes up quite a bit of luggage space. For me, dropping the code to one formal night a cruise would be a GREAT help in reducing baggage! :)

The biggest argument for keeping the formal dress code is tradition...

With all due respect, I would have to disagree. From my perspective, the biggest argument for keeping the formal dress code is ambiance.

Not only is the atmosphere on the ship a bit more festive, I think evening clothes have an effect on behaviour as well....I think people are, in general, a bit more gracious and I think partners are more attentive.

Most upscale hotels have a number of different restaurants in them with varying degrees of formality.

Maybe it would be a good idea if Celebrity did the same. This way everyone would be happy.

With Solstice I will predict this is what you will see them do. I'm sure however not everyone will be happy with this as well.;)

Why should anyone consider asking the cruise line to change because it doesn't accomodate your lifestyle or feelings or ability to save $50 by not bringing 2 bags? The cruise is selling a product and it is presented o you as is. If it doesn't suit you (no pun intended) look at different cruise lines.

I enjoy the feeling of dressing up and acting like a refined adult. It is not something I do at home very often. I chose X because what is offered is what I want. I'll look elsewhere if I want a different experience.

With all due respect, I would have to disagree. From my perspective, the biggest argument for keeping the formal dress code is ambiance.

Not only is the atmosphere on the ship a bit more festive, I think evening clothes have an effect on behaviour as well....I think people are, in general, a bit more gracious and I think partners are more attentive.

I absolutely love the ambiance on a formal night on a Celebrity Cruise. Lets face it, we are all human and respond in a conscious and sub-conscious way to the beauty of an elegant gown or cocktail dress, or a finely tailored suit or tuxedo. It just make the evening more special!

As for the Solstice, I hope that if they don't suggest formal attire for the entire ship, that they will also have another venue in addition to the dining room that will also be designated formal, like a lounge or a cocktail reception that will be formal. That would continue the elegant ambiance beyond just the dining room. I really like the whole evening being special, and not just the dining room.

I personally think one of the reasons why Celebrity frequently has lower pricing for a comparable itinerary than its competition is because a signficant number of their past passengers have jumped ship to cruise lines with more flexible dress codes.

This, of course, isn't the only reason, but I definitely think it is a contributory factor.

I agree that how people dress can influence the way others react to them, but I think other factors are more important than formal vs smart casual.

These factors include overall grooming, quality of clothes, fashionable vs dated look, and the appropriateness of the outfit for that person's age and body type.

Archived