Chumley's Bear Cruise Caribbean Princess 11/2/2008

bbenson

Brian...BTW I was incorrect about the balconies. The Caribes can be viewed from above on the sides of the ship but I don';t think the aft is the same.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2182193370046005036WlxaQe show the side balconies.

I'm so jealous of Rick right now. I have soo0o much to get done before we leave I think I am going to lose it. But I will get it done. If all else fails I will go shopping in SJ and pick up extra supplies before the second week.

Yea, I thought the balconies in the back were just about the only private ones on the ship, except the AD's on Emerald. Is Rick on his mini cruise right now???

I am planning on picking up all my little stuff in San Juan. I'll pack clothes and bath items I can't buy in SJ but for travel body wash, shampoo, etc I'll pick those up in SJ.

LOL, I didn't see your link to that thread Amy but I've been reading it since it began and was just about to post a link here for you.

You know what they say about great minds.:D

I am sooo excited I just got my vanity car tags. I have had a nickname for decades and could not get my tags but Finally some one gave them up!

You can look at my avatar and figure it out. I finally got QOTW.

well, at first I thought it was Queens Only Wear Thongs...and I realized that couldn't be it...then I thought...Quit Opening Thighs Wide and again, didn't think that was it...so finally I realized it was Quietly Opens for The Worm!!

Sorry I haven't posted in so long. Have been out of town, again on business :( .

Amy and Brian, I saw all the posts about the beam on the balcony C751. As a matter of fact I had that same cabin on my last trip on the Caribbean Princess - I was upgraded from AA mini-suite!

The cabin was fantastic and the beam was no big deal. The only thing I noticed was that it did crowd the furniture a little bit. Due to the beam, all the furniture had to remain on one side of the balcony.

Anyway, I'm a bit worried about that damn storm! I just got off the phone with American and changed my flight to tomorrow morning, rather than Wed morning. The storm is supposed to hit Tampa around 2AM Wed morning. They are expecting lots and lots of rain - it is not expected to become a hurricane.

We are supposed to sail Thur afternoon - so hopefully we will.

Rick

hmm, well, looking at the current weather and the predictions Rick, I'd be worried to, it's not a powerful storm but it does cover alot of area and right now it's predicted to cross florida and then cross back over florida...but thats only what the computer models are predicting and that could change significantly

Rick,

my major concern is the flights. Make sure to be at the gate an hour before the flight. There are probably flights right now cancelling because of the storm which will cause a glut on the flights you are trying to take. When they decide who flies and who doesn't it's usually the guy showing up late that gets left behind. You are a frequent flyer and that helps too. This is not hard core policy i am just passing on information as the wife of an airport supervisor who watches the dramas unfold.:cool:

Amy, I'm sure Rick made it out ok...but with Faye sticking around, he may not be able to get back...wouldn't it be terrible if the cruise was delayed for an additional day or two?!?!

Oh the poor dear!:rolleyes:

Hey, Al!

Well, made it back. Looking at a hugh pile of paper work in my office and what do I do - head here!

I had no trouble making my flight on Tues. It was smart to leave Tues rather than Wed - as there was a lot of rain and wind around 30mph up until the time we sailed Thurs afternoon - so lots of flight delays. Although, didn't appear anyone had any trouble getting to the ship.

The day we sailed there was no rain - just very overcast and windy. We were out on deck and the wind was so strong the liquid in your glass (remember I always had a drink in my hand) would blow right out. It was kinda funny watching people putting their hands over their glasses. :D

An officer on deck at sail away said the wind was clocked at 48mph.

By the next day (sea day) it was beautiful - hot and sunny - the Gulf was like glass.

I had a good time - especially being with my brother and sister-in-law, but I'm sure I'll never do Carnival, again.

It's a different crusie experience, and in order to be polite, I won't get into specifics. I also have to qualify that this was a 4 day cruise - and my cruise experience has always been with 7 or 10 day trips - so that may be part of the difference I felt.

By the way, they had one FOD meeting - 4pm (odd time) in the library (even odder place) on the second day. Including myself, 3 people showed up. The other 2 were a very nice lesbian couple from New Jersey. We had a good time over cocktails talking about all the other gays we saw on board and wondering why they didn't show up!

Anyway, looking forward to the Caribbean Princess!!!!

Now, have to get to work!

Rick

We booked three of the Chumley Excusions, St. Thomas Catamaran, Dominca and the Grenada land tour....In addition we booked through Princess a Day at the Beach in Bonaire and De Palm Island in Aruba. Love to hear what everyone else has planned. Still plenty of time to change out the Princess excursions.

Hi Guys!

Welcome back Rick! Glad you had a good time. I wish you would dish about your experiences on Carnival. I do think that the 4 dayers are alot different from the longer cruises as well as the time of year you went. Carnival is last on my totem pole too. We had a 7 dayer on the Triumph and it was horrible. However we were on the cruise where the ship almost tipped over. The swimming pools emptied down the elevator shafts, broken glass everywhere, deck chairs went overboard etc.

It was how Carnival handled it that made the trip a horror. They never leveled with the passengers about how bad the situation really was. So we would be waiting for elevators that never showed up. We helped a handicapped couple get all the way to different elevators to get up to the buffet only to find out the buffet was closed. Never an announcement ...we would just show up for two days to find it closed. When it didi open the food was ridiculous. Passengers complained that they would show up for scheduled activities only to wait for 20 minutes and no crew member shows up to run it. My biggest gripe was that every other frickin' minute they could announce over the loudspeaker some new thing they wanted you to buy but they couldn't keep the people informed of what was open or how bad a hit the ship took so certan services needed to be trimmed. We would have understood and adjusted.

WELL now that I am no longer steamin about that trip I was considering giving Carnival another chance as long as it wasn't a short party cruise. So I am really interested in your opinon. If you dont want to post it here, I'll buy you a drink and you can tell me all about it. We'll meet up in Brian's fabulous room ;) Oh...while you were gone it was decided that since you guys have soooo many great activites planned, Brian was going to let me stay in the suite whenever I want. Right Brian! :D

We booked three of the Chumley Excusions, St. Thomas Catamaran, Dominca and the Grenada land tour....In addition we booked through Princess a Day at the Beach in Bonaire and De Palm Island in Aruba. Love to hear what everyone else has planned. Still plenty of time to change out the Princess excursions.

Hi, Guys!

I didn't book my cruise through Chumley, but can I still book their excursions, and if so, how?

Amy, I'll be glad to dish about Carnival over drinks!!! You hit the nail on the head, though, by pointing out that the 4 day trips are totally different than the longer trips - including the passengers. :rolleyes:

Rick

Rick, if you did not book through the Chumley's TA you can not join the excursions, pvt parties etc. However, you may be able to call Paul, the Chumley's TA and transfer your booking to them and get access to the excursions and all that way by joining the group!

Randy here from Eastern long island.. Just got caught up with the posts on this thread.. Good project for a rainy Saturday morning.This will be my 2nd Chumley's, going with a buddy of mine, Paul.

Rick - I know last year at one of our get togethers the FOD meeting was held in the same place. Also we pretty much congregated at the same pool everyday onboard, last year it was the aft pool.. not hard to miss the group..LOL..It was a great place for fabuolous sunsets and a bar right there..An excellent combination !!

Jersey Guys - I don't know if you've been to De Palm before, nice beach, eating area.. They have a bunch of water slides and kids all over the place. When I went there on another cruise, There was a group of about 12 of us, (all friends) so we kinda were able to zone out the kids. Just FYI..

Counting the Days... Can't Wait !!!

Archived