Chumley's Bear Cruise Caribbean Princess 11/2/2008

bbenson

honestly I don't get it...LOL but I'm sure it's terrible!

I'm still LOL! Judy I've never heard that one - I'm gonna write it down!!! Thanks!!! :D

Brian, he ran out to become a stud in a snow tire. I sure you've heard of studded tires - although they're not allowed in Illinois! They really tear up the road.

Rick

Probably a stupid question but here goes. What are the rules governing bringing alcohol on board during the cruise from the different ports. Is everything embargoed till the end of the cruise when you declare it re-entering the united states or can you consume it on board.......

Probably a stupid question but here goes. What are the rules governing bringing alcohol on board during the cruise from the different ports. Is everything embargoed till the end of the cruise when you declare it re-entering the united states or can you consume it on board.......

Hey, Guys!

That is not a dumb question! I'll do my best to answer, although the Princess Board has a considerable amount of information on this topic.

Most of the time Princess checks all your bags as you reboard. Liquor would probably be taken from you and returned prior to our arrival in San Juan. I said most of the time, because some ports I've been in the Caribbean on Princess, all they checked was your ID when we reboarded. You could have brought cases on board with you! Go figure!

Then, it also depends on where you purchase. Some places will not allow you to carry it out - they will package everything and deliver it to the ship. In that case, you won't see it until the last night - where it is delivered to your cabin. This is what I usually do, if I decide on purchasing any liquor, and have never had a problem.

So, I don't know if I've answered your question - as it just seems to depend on many different items.

Pesonally, I don't see any harm in buying a few bottles and bringing it back. If they impound it, well, no great loss.

Rick

Most people smuggle their alcohol onboard OR, you can pre-order alcohol for your room but it's god aweful expensive....something like 19.50 for a 375 ml bottle and 3 "mixers" when you can get the same on land for $5.

If you will put it inside of a carry on bag where it is out of sight you will have no problems on Princess. We have done this many times and I know they see it on the Xray but they have never said anything.

You can carry your beer and up to two bottles of wine exposed with no problem either. We bought a case of Port Royal beer in the Honduras and when we sat it on the scanner one of the security guys asked, "What cabin are you guys in?". I told him and he said, "I will be up later to sample some of that":D

Mike:)

howdy bhopal21! Are you just stopping by this thread or are you on this cruise too? Either way, thanks for the info...I think I may try to smuggle a little this year...if it gets caught..oh well

Just stopping by unfortunately. All of our cruises have been on Princess so I just wanted to allay any fears about taking hooch onboard.

Princess couid care less about beer and wine and as long as your liquor is out of sight you will have no trouble.

I always transfer my Bombay Sapphire to Dasani water bottles and pack them in the checked luggage before we go to the airport and then you don't have to worry about breakage at all.

Have a great cruise!

Just stopping by unfortunately. All of our cruises have been on Princess so I just wanted to allay any fears about taking hooch onboard.

Princess couid care less about beer and wine and as long as your liquor is out of sight you will have no trouble.

I always transfer my Bombay Sapphire to Dasani water bottles and pack them in the checked luggage before we go to the airport and then you don't have to worry about breakage at all.

Have a great cruise!

Hi, Mike!

I apparently wasn't get on the right Princess cruise! You must be very lucky, because on 2 separate cruises I watched as the Princess staff took bottles of booze from passengers as they reboarded. From what I remember it was about 2 or 3 bottles - certainly not a large amount.

The most recent was a little over a year ago - so may they've changed procedures. At any rate, I still feel it's hit or miss proposition given what I've experienced.

Rick

So I wanted to ask, has anyone on this thread ever thought about doing one of the RSVP or Atlantis cruises? Or have you already done one?

Hi, Brian!

I've given the RSVP and Atlantis (I think they have merged into one organization) cruises some thought, but like the JerseyGuys, I think it would be a little much for me.

Anyway, I have a blast on straight cruises! Plus, there are always a number of very friendly 'boys' on board!

In addition, the single supplement I'm stuck with is already bad enough on straight cruises, but RSVP & Atlantis sock it to the solo traveler even worse!!

Rick

Hi, Mike!

I apparently wasn't get on the right Princess cruise! You must be very lucky, because on 2 separate cruises I watched as the Princess staff took bottles of booze from passengers as they reboarded. From what I remember it was about 2 or 3 bottles - certainly not a large amount.

The most recent was a little over a year ago - so may they've changed procedures. At any rate, I still feel it's hit or miss proposition given what I've experienced.

Rick

Nope, not lucky. As a matter of fact there is a liquor store inside both cruise terminals within sight of boarding security at San Juan and the employees will tell you to place your purchase inside of a carry on, backpack, etc and it will go right through security with no questions.

Now if those folks you saw having their purchases being confiscated only had it in a shopping bag or out in the open that would explain their loss.

Hey Bhopal 21.....noticed you are a Sapphire drinker...I used to be until I discovered Hendricks....if you haven't tried it you should. Hard to find but very tasty when you do.

Clay

Hey dude! How's life in the mtns? Do you get back to the rock very often?

You know I have looked at Hendricks but just haven't had the nerve to try it; but I will based on your recommendation. I tried and soon discarded Ten and Rangpur:( .

I haven't found anything as likable as BS.

I've noticed that port security varies wildly from port to port...some ports had uptight security that scrutinzed closely and some they just sort of waved you through. In Jamacia once they even had drug dogs sniffing at the cruise terminal....not in a line or anything but just walking around.

no I understand Rick, I've got that wonderful single supplement too! But unlike you I've never found any friendly "boys" on a regular cruise.

Brian,

That is too bad you haven't found any friendly boys on a straight cruise. My last time on the Golden Princess out of San Fran to Mexico, some guys I met at one of the bars commented that this particular cruise was like RSVP!

Seriously, there were so many guys showing up at the GLBT meetings - they ended up having one every day to accomodate everyone - we took over the Wheelhouse Bar and many guys, and girls, had no where to sit.

On this cruise, though, I'm certain you'll meet some nice folks!

Rick

Well, I'm usually cruising with my family (parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, etc) so I'm not actively "hunting". Plus I've been kinda shy for a couple years, not that you can tell on here! But, I'm doing this one and I bit the bullet and booked an RSVP cruise yesterday...though its in April of next year so I've got plenty of time to meet people that are going and get comfortable.

But, even if I don't have a fling at sea this cruise, I'm sure I'll meet some great people. I'm already looking forward to meeting alot of people from the Roll Call. I'm also curious to see if my online impression goes with reality.

Nope, not lucky. As a matter of fact there is a liquor store inside both cruise terminals within sight of boarding security at San Juan and the employees will tell you to place your purchase inside of a carry on, backpack, etc and it will go right through security with no questions.

Now if those folks you saw having their purchases being confiscated only had it in a shopping bag or out in the open that would explain their loss.

Mike,

Thanks for that info on San Juan! That will come in handy for those folks (including myself) purchasing liquor to bring on board upon embarking.

I was just commenting, for the JerserGuys, on the purchase of liquor at our ports of call.

St. Thomas (one of out stops) and Cozumel, in particular, are the places where I personally witnessed the confiscations. But, come to think of it they had the stuff in shopping bags :o

Again, thanks for the info!!!!!!!

Rick

Archived