Names on staterooms

djhsolara

Is anybody else bugged by this, or is it just me?

The fact that a cabin steward would open a cabin door for someone unfamiliar to him (obviously, not a passenger in his section) is bothersome to me.

This is another good reason to not leave anything valuable in view of someone standing in the doorway, or passing by. The other reason is that cabin stewards often leave the door open while they're cleaning your cabin and anyone walking by can see inside.

Call me paranoid, but if the steward was at his/her cart or cleaning the bathroom, somebody walking by could glance in, see a camera (or $$, iPod, piece of jewelry, whatever) sitting on the desk and could be in & out in a second.

T

That's why you have a safe in your cabin. Last year on our RCCL cruise I even put my Nikon D70 camera in the safe when we didn't take it on a shore excusions my safe was always used.

Christine

I don't see this as a privacy issue, but a security issue! I was not happy that our names were listed on the door for our last cruise, but I didn't realize you could take them off. My friend and I were cruising together - just 2 women.

What would be even worse is when a woman cruises solo. That's not something that is safe to let everyone know - "There's a woman alone in this room." I think that they should let pax know that they can take the names off. I'll definitely do that on my next cruise.

After my trip last year to the caribbean this can be a problem - I was a single female travelling alone and got approached by a guy at the sailaway party. Within minutes of meeting and exchanging names he was asking for my cabin number. This I brushed off with a joke and made myself scarce. He continued to pester me for quite a while over the next couple of days and when I was going to call on friends I had met who were staying on a different dack I bumped into this guy checking the door labels, he said he was looking for me. Another quick exit made - he gave me the creeps totally the wrong signals and had a quiet word with a security officer, result - guy warned off.

All I can think is thank goodness the name I use every day isn't the one on my door I hate to think what could have happened. Since then I remove the label. and I manke sure all my possessions are hidden away from vies, far too easy, for people to see in. It's no different to leaving your house unlocked when you leave home.:rolleyes:

I like having my name on the door. If it's late at night, I give a quick peek to make sure it's my cabin before I start trying to open the door. It's also helpful when visiting a friend. Don't want to wake up a complete stranger.:(

After my trip last year to the caribbean this can be a problem - I was a single female travelling alone and got approached by a guy at the sailaway party. Within minutes of meeting and exchanging names (Red Flag):cool: he was asking for my cabin number. This I brushed off with a joke and made myself scarce. He continued to pester me for quite a while over the next couple of days and when I was going to call on friends I had met who were staying on a different dack I bumped into this guy checking the door labels, he said he was looking for me. Another quick exit made - he gave me the creeps totally the wrong signals and had a quiet word with a security officer, result - guy warned off.

All I can think is thank goodness the name I use every day isn't the one on my door I hate to think what could have happened. Since then I remove the label. and I manke sure all my possessions are hidden away from vies, far too easy, for people to see in. It's no different to leaving your house unlocked when you leave home.

Did you lead him on to believe -----? :rolleyes:

Wow talk about making assumptions! Do you think exchanging names at a sailaway party makes her responsible for the fact the guy starting stalking her around the ship? She clearly states when he started getting pushy she excused herself. How did she do anything wrong?

Wow talk about making assumptions! Do you think exchanging names at a sailaway party makes her responsible for the fact the guy starting stalking her around the ship? She clearly states when he started getting pushy she excused herself. How did she do anything wrong?

There's always two sides to a story, this was her side!

Hey Sandy next time remínd me not to give you my name when we're chatting. I am polite and if asked my name will give you my first name, I don't then expect to get propositioned and virtually told I'm expected to sleep with a complete stranger as this guy did to me, within about a minute of meeting. believe me I didn't give him the come-on in anyway he was there for one reason only - I just hope he didn't force himself on some unsuspecting lady. it takes a lot for me to report someone but this guy SCARED me. I'm just glad that the security officer I spoke to took me seriously. We've all heard the stories about occurances on ships, and yes i've said there are two sides as there are, but don't be complaicant, not everyone is squeaky clean.

Well with gay marriage now legal in California, it would be nice to see Mr and Mr. or Ms. and Ms. on the door!

I agree, but it wouldn't be posted this way. One name is above the other, and you can't (and shouldn't) make assumptions about the relationship between the passengers based on the name tags.

When I called attention to the two pair of trousers, to the cabin attendant, he took them and returned them the next day with new zippers installed.

Wow. That is amazing service. I know that the problem originated with them, but, being a sewer, I would rather make a garment from scratch instead of replacing a zipper. I'm glad to hear they fixed them.

O.K. here is my take on the matter. We just got back from doing a B2B2B on the Coral to Alaska and our room was way in the back on the Dolphin deck so most amenities were in the front or middle of the ship. When we would walk the halls to the elevators frankly all we paid attention to was not the names on the tags but the color they were. We were extremely surprised to find a lot of blue tags which means new cruisers. There were very few gold or platinum and I think we saw on that floor alone 1 Elite. So I truly think that most people do not read the names; just notice the color of the tags. At least that is what we noticed most of all.

Marilyn

Perhaps Princess can only print the passengers' First Initial Last Name on the door name tag Or just last names.

Also don't put title (Mr/Mrs/Dr/Master/Miss) so no one can guess children/adults.

Better yet, Princess can ask in the Cruise personalizer (could be on the same web page as the the bath robe request)

if and how you'd like your door name tag to be. The person stocking the rooms with robes can also place the name

tag in the door.

Generally one introduce themselves using first name ... and

later if desired tell "newly made friend", last name and or cabin number if so desired.

Perhaps Princess can only print the passengers' First Initial Last Name on the door name tag Or just last names.

Also don't put title (Mr/Mrs/Dr/Master/Miss) so no one can guess children/adults.

Better yet, Princess can ask in the Cruise personalizer (could be on the same web page as the the bath robe request)

if and how you'd like your door name tag to be. The person stocking the rooms with robes can also place the name

tag in the door.

Generally one introduce themselves using first name ... and

later if desired tell "newly made friend", last name and or cabin number if so desired.

Execpt, many of us like the names just as they are.

Execpt, many of us like the names just as they are.

IF and HOW you'd like your door name tag to SHOW.

The person stocking the rooms with robes can also place the name tag in the door, on the table, or in the garbage

if you'd like. They usually have to go down a list of bed arrangements and robe requests. For those who like the

names just as they are, no problem.... it'll be there by default.

IF and HOW you'd like your door name tag to SHOW.

The person stocking the rooms with robes can also place the name tag in the door, on the table, or in the garbage

if you'd like. They usually have to go down a list of bed arrangements and robe requests. For those who like the

names just as they are, no problem.... it'll be there by default.

How many times have you found a robe in your cabin and did not have to ask the room steward??

All I can think is thank goodness the name I use every day isn't the one on my door I hate to think what could have happened. Since then I remove the label. :rolleyes:

You travel under two different names? :confused:

How do you get back into the country. :eek:

Or any other countrey for that matter. :eek:

Hey Sandy next time remínd me not to give you my name when we're chatting. I am polite and if asked my name will give you my first name, I don't then expect to get propositioned and virtually told I'm expected to sleep with a complete stranger as this guy did to me, within about a minute of meeting. believe me I didn't give him the come-on in anyway he was there for one reason only - I just hope he didn't force himself on some unsuspecting lady. it takes a lot for me to report someone but this guy SCARED me. I'm just glad that the security officer I spoke to took me seriously. We've all heard the stories about occurances on ships, and yes i've said there are two sides as there are, but don't be complaicant, not everyone is squeaky clean.

Yes, I agree we all heard stories. One from a very dear close friend of mine. However, it took her several attempts until security did something.

Lucky enough you had his name to report him....;)

All I can think is thank goodness the name I use every day isn't the one on my door I hate to think what could have happened. Since then I remove the label. and I manke sure all my possessions are hidden away from vies, far too easy, for people to see in. It's no different to leaving your house unlocked when you leave home.
If you change your name on the door, have you ever gotten somebody else's mail? ? ? ? :confused:...:rolleyes:

I bumped into this guy checking the door labels, he said he was looking for me.

How many cabins were on the ship?

For example. Grand Princess has 1300 cabins. Which would mean checking out a lot of cabins just to find you....:cool:

Poor guy - he needs a life!!!!

After my trip last year to the caribbean this can be a problem - I was a single female travelling alone and got approached by a guy at the sailaway party. Within minutes of meeting and exchanging names he was asking for my cabin number. This I brushed off with a joke and made myself scarce. He continued to pester me for quite a while over the next couple of days and when I was going to call on friends I had met who were staying on a different dack I bumped into this guy checking the door labels, he said he was looking for me. Another quick exit made - he gave me the creeps totally the wrong signals and had a quiet word with a security officer, result - guy warned off.

All I can think is thank goodness the name I use every day isn't the one on my door I hate to think what could have happened. Since then I remove the label. and I manke sure all my possessions are hidden away from vies, far too easy, for people to see in. It's no different to leaving your house unlocked when you leave home.:rolleyes:

Question? Did this guy happen to be from Toronto? We had a tablemate like that on our second cruise who started hitting on a single lady who was also at our table. He picked up her cruise card (back then they had the cabin number on it) and looked at it and then started calling her cabin and knocking on her door. They ended up moving her to another cabin (we kept in touch) and reassigning her to the early traditional dining to escape him. He was psycho. I ran into him in the San Juan airport post cruise and he was delighted to tell me that he had his seat changed on his flight home so he would be next to the flight attendant's station and maybe he could score with her.

Mike

Yes, I agree we all heard stories. One from a very dear close friend of mine. However, it took her several attempts until security did something.

Lucky enough you had his name to report him....;)

If you change your name on the door, have you ever gotten somebody else's mail? ? ? ? :confused:...:rolleyes:

How many cabins were on the ship?

For example. Grand Princess has 1300 cabins. Which would mean checking out a lot of cabins just to find you....:cool:

Poor guy - he needs a life!!!!

I'm not quite sure why you feel the need to pick the OP apart for simply sharing what she felt was a scary experience. Many women deal with situations like this everyday and I really don't get why you are so quick to assume things about her. It demonstrates a blame the victim mentality that I find really surprising. I see nothing in her story that isn't credible and find it funny that you need to continue to try and make it into something else. As far as her name goes, I guess you aren't familiar with the concept of going by a nickname instead of the name on your birth certificate, which would also be the name on your passport,and cruise documents and hence the name on the door. My daughter's given name is Kathleen and that is what appears on the stateroom card. We call her Katy and that's the only name she goes by, so I understand what the OP is talking about.

She was just using her situation as a reference to the safety of women traveling alone and the issue of names on the door. I think it presents a valid point and a concern that is relevant to this thread and it's too bad you feel the need to be so critical of someone who was simply sharing a personal experience.

I'm not quite sure why you feel the need to pick the OP apart for simply sharing what she felt was a scary experience. Many women deal with situations like this everyday and I really don't get why you are so quick to assume things about her. It demonstrates a blame the victim mentality that I find really surprising. I see nothing in her story that isn't credible and find it funny that you need to continue to try and make it into something else. As far as her name goes, I guess you aren't familiar with the concept of going by a nickname instead of the name on your birth certificate, which would also be the name on your passport,and cruise documents and hence the name on the door. My daughter's given name is Kathleen and that is what appears on the stateroom card. We call her Katy and that's the only name she goes by, so I understand what the OP is talking about.

She was just using her situation as a reference to the safety of women traveling alone and the issue of names on the door. I think it presents a valid point and a concern that is relevant to this thread and it's too bad you feel the need to be so critical of someone who was simply sharing a personal experience.

Her post raised a question.

I was simply asking basic questions to find out answers.

Not in anyway trying to "pick" her apart...:rolleyes:

Not my style.

I personally feel it's very kind of a person to want to help out other cruisers. I see nothing wrong with asking questions.

Her post raised a question.

I was simply asking basic questions to find out answers.

Not in anyway trying to "pick" her apart...:rolleyes:

Not my style.

I personally feel it's very kind of a person to want to help out other cruisers. I see nothing wrong with asking questions.

I guess it was all the facial expression smilies (rolled eyes, etc.) that accompanied your questions that confused me. One usually uses those to denote sarcasm, but I must have misunderstood.

Archived